Goodbye Jesus

"a Sabbatical?"

webmdave

Guest Emerson

Wow your story is amazing. You have been through a lot and you have searched for the truth on many sides. No one can say that you haven't done your best. Its really interesting how people come to see the light even when they were heavy in fundamentalism. Something, just made me see the truth for what it really was. I met a friend, who said that the bible is pretty much like those greek myths. They're just stories and they use their religion to keep people in line and control them. Its sad so thank you for having this website, its our refuge. It really is. To me it is. :woohoo:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• webmdave

• I Broke Free

• mahjong

• Minstrel

• Admin

Welcome aboard Emerson!

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave

I am new to this website. I made my first post yesterday which briefly describes my position. I reflect often now on my attitude to religion. Do I just keep my thoughts to myself or share them in the hope that they might help someone else? You have most clearly made that choice. The time and effort you have made represents a real contribution to some people's lives. If just one person feels better having come here it's all been worth it. I will contribute what I can from now on.

Regards

• Admin

Thanks Padhyde.

I'll enjoy reading your posts!

Guest SaNCTiFieD_1

Hello,

I am a Bible believer. I just came across your site and read your testimony. Just wondering if in all the different theologies that you have read about, if you have ever heard of studying the Bible according to 2 Tim 2:15 "rightly dividing the Word of truth." I have found that inconsistencies in the Bible can be explained by studying how it tells us to. Rightly Divided. I'm just introducing myself and I figure since you like to read, you could study up on it to gain more knowledge. www.floridagrace.com is a good site. I'm not gonna post on here the whole long explanation of this, but if you have any questions about it or the Bible, I can answer them.

Dawn

I have found that inconsistencies in the Bible can be explained

Dawn

I'm so happy for you. :Wendywhatever:

I'll alert the media.

I'm not gonna post on here the whole long explanation of this, but if you have any questions about it or the Bible, I can answer them.

Wow, how modest of you. You call yourself the "sanctified one" and you can answer ANY question on the Bible. If so, I would suggest that you take your message to the much divided Christian church, and teach them. Then, when all Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, Methodists, Orthodox, and the other 10,000 denominations are united under your wise(?) and true(?) interpretation of the Bible, you can try to convince the rest of the world. But it won't happen. After all, there are others who also think they can answer any question on the Bible, but they come up with different meanings than you, or anyone else. No unity, no agreement, no sense; so sorry, no dice.

Dave, thanks for sharing your story, and starting this website; providing all of us with a needed support group. Where would we be without you?

• Admin

Thanks Ex-COG!

Just wondering if in all the different theologies that you have read about, if you have ever heard of studying the Bible according to 2 Tim 2:15 "rightly dividing the Word of truth." I have found that inconsistencies in the Bible can be explained by studying how it tells us to. Rightly Divided.

That does sound familiar. It's been awhile, but I'm thinking that it sounds familiar because a Christian hears this phrase an average of, oh, say -- once a month? You've obviously just stumbled across it, good luck with that.

"Rightly Divided" - that sounds like an ironic description of the church today, doesn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

...The main point I had hoped to accomplish in reiterating a few of the unpleasant experiences I had with the "chosen few" was to show that there is nothing supernatural going on in the lives of Christians. We are taught that the Holy Spirit is within us, transforming us, quickening us, destroying our sin nature, putting to death the "old man" and on and on ad-nauseam. The simple truth is: it is not true. Christians are absolutely no different than any one else. They do not have GOD ALMIGHTY in their bodies, making them into new creatures...

Your point (quoted) hits the nail on the pimple. Isn't it interesting that the "proof" is a subjective experience? No-one can "witness" a conversion. If "tongues of fire" alit upon the head as one "became a Christian"...we might be singing a different tune.

Likewise...wouldn't you think that, if Jesus was at all concerned with the direction "His Church" was taking...and he actually received the motherlode of power at the resurrection...that he could simply make another appearance...and set them straight?

Anywho... Thanks for the site. Nice to meet you(r story).

That does sound familiar. It's been awhile, but I'm thinking that it sounds familiar because a Christian hears this phrase an average of, oh, say -- once a month? You've obviously just stumbled across it, good luck with that.

"Rightly Divided" - that sounds like an ironic description of the church today, doesn't it?

That was beautiful!

• 11 months later...
. Just wondering if in all the different theologies that you have read about, if you have ever heard of studying the Bible according to 2 Tim 2:15 "rightly dividing the Word of truth." I have found that inconsistencies in the Bible can be explained by studying how it tells us to. Rightly Divided.

Sanctimonious Sanctified:

Anyone who actually read Dave's testimony with any attention would see that he has done extensive reading of the Bible and tried to find the answers the best he could, and with tremendous effort. Why is that unclear to you?

What exactly does "rightly dividing the Word of truth" mean? Do you adhere to the parts you like and throw out the ones you don't because they are repulsive or contradictory? Please give us the actual method. Or is it just that the "holy spirit" moves you in some mysterious way that is unexplainable?

Dave, thanks for your testimony and the website. I am sure it is a great help to many who are clearing themselves of this massive brainwashing called "Christianity".

• Admin

Thanks, Pat.

And thanks for being a supporting member.

• 4 months later...

Wow Dave, just finished reading your testimony. Im sure as admin you would probably know I am still a christian, a rather unorthodox one but still one.

I am speechless. It hurts when I read what all folks have gone thru in churches and at the hands of christians especially knowing that Ive hurt folks to, folks like you that were honestly seeking truth.

If I had walked in your shoes I might be right where you are admining this website, who knows

sojourner

• 1 month later...
I first read Dave's testimony in October 2001, or thereabouts. I had been out of the religion for about 10 years. I was angry, fearful & fearsome. I trusted no one. I didn't understand the depth of my grief over the loss of a lifetime of belief until I came to this site. I was so hateful and distraught. This was a place for me to vent.

Little did I know that I was in on the 'ground floor' of what was to become a very powerful support group. I so appreciate how this site has evolved.

And it has taken on its own flavor. I don't feel that I fit in with the 'group' here, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is that this forum exists for those of us who finally realized for ourselves the horrible beliefs we had that, for many, were crippling.

I had a dream today while napping, and woke up in a sweat, and crying, that this is the end of the world. I wondered in the dream if it was too late for me... It just endures and endures. I got out of bed and came right to this site. I have some place to come to and that's what matters. (I think the dream was sparked by last week's 'Simpsons' "Left Below". I laughed and cried.)

Kudos again, Dave! You are still the MAN! This site means the world to many of us for many reasons. And I like cheese... Alpine lace is my favorite...

Mah Jong :ukliam2:

That was inspirational at worst.

Let me just say I've seen Doug Bachelor speaking in person, Morris Vendon, and a fat load of other mind-washes.

None of them have that conviction. [Or compulsion!]

Your story of finding your way away from Christ, through Christ is as I said, at worst inspirational.

I've also gotten a great deal of comfort here on these boards. I'm very thankful for the many anti-testimonies I've read. While I still feel pretty alone in this journey (mostly due to geography - down here in the bible belt) this site has been very helpful and comforting.

• 4 months later...

Dave, wonderful "testimony"...what a help it is! Thank you so much for this site and the information contained within!

• 10 months later...

I read this just last week Dave.

Thanks for this site. If it wasn't for this I would've been long gone ages ago...

I might as well tell you that my father called you guys terrorists.. lol. Since he disowned me I call HIM a terrorist!!

• 7 months later...

I read your testimony with great interest, especially regarding your second marriage. I'm divorced and remarried for 20yrs and we have a child together. My husbands family does not believe in divorce for any reason. My mother-in-law harped on this continually and has tried to cause conflicts within my marriage. She is quick to remind me that I am going to hell and taking her son with me. She also determined my father, who was a mason, went to hell upon his death. I felt so brow beaten by the whole thing, that I came out to my husband and children about my non-belief and terminated my relationship with his family. My husband still believes in a higher power, but questions the validity of the bible, understands where I'm coming from. All three of my children are non-believers too. Do they really think a loving god would want a happy marriage and family torn apart because of religion? Did their loving god really want me to continue to live in a loveless, abusive marriage with an alcoholic and drug addict? The last straw for me in that marriage was me finding speed on the floor when my 5 month old child was learning to crawl. Either way I'm far happier not having to play xtian and even happier not to be among them on holidays and birthdays.

I read your testimony with great interest, especially regarding your second marriage. I'm divorced and remarried for 20yrs and we have a child together. My husbands family does not believe in divorce for any reason. My mother-in-law harped on this continually and has tried to cause conflicts within my marriage. She is quick to remind me that I am going to hell and taking her son with me. She also determined my father, who was a mason, went to hell upon his death. I felt so brow beaten by the whole thing, that I came out to my husband and children about my non-belief and terminated my relationship with his family. My husband still believes in a higher power, but questions the validity of the bible, understands where I'm coming from. All three of my children are non-believers too. Do they really think a loving god would want a happy marriage and family torn apart because of religion? Did their loving god really want me to continue to live in a loveless, abusive marriage with an alcoholic and drug addict? The last straw for me in that marriage was me finding speed on the floor when my 5 month old child was learning to crawl. Either way I'm far happier not having to play xtian and even happier not to be among them on holidays and birthdays.

Don't say you weren't warned:

ASV Luke 12:51-53

51. Think ye that I am come to give peace in the earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

52. for there shall be from henceforth five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.

53. They shall be divided, father against son, and son against father; mother against daughter, and daughter against her mother; mother in law against her daughter in law, and daughter in law against her mother in law.

• 2 months later...

The emotional cleansing and reality of that moment has never left me, and as I write about it now, it comes alive once again.

I especially liked this quote. My emotional experiences are what make it hard for me to make the "clean break" They seemed so real, and they filled a legitimate need. But man cannot live off of intermittent spiritual orgasms alone, I'm finding out. And then there's that funky bible. I cannot keep my adult mind on hold forever and keep trying to make sense out of it.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for writing such an interesting and detailed testimony. There is a lot to think about here.

JayL, for your information: This section of the website is off-limits for Christians. I will let this post stand as a notice to you and others, but the next post will be removed.

Hans

• 3 months later...

Simply put ... Thankyou! This site continues to be a source of strength and encouragment tome in my deconversion process :)

• 1 year later...

I would have to say that it takes a lot of courage to admit that you've been wrong and you've been doing it for so many years.

I applaud you.

Welcome Dave. I'm sure most of us do not hate Christians for the most part either. Many see flaws in the social structure of the church, the inherent authoritarianism and expansive nature of conversion based faiths. I think it is the most intellectually honest position to refer to oneself as an agnostic, because we simply don't know and most likely never will. People here vary in their beliefs in a power beyond what we comprehend or simply the probabilities of events. We go through our journey in stages much like grief. Once we come to the point of acceptance, anger begins to fade and we learn to grow in our new world.

I think you should consider attending a Unitarian Universalist service it is rather intellectually stimulating looking at the beliefs of all religions in a detached manner,understanding rather than piety.

Questions that lead to more questions are the right path to truth. Those who offer us easy answers to all our problems should be fear and for good reason.

Good luck in your journey.