Goodbye Jesus

10 Reasons why you were (or are) Xtian

Vixentrox

I converted straight to Orthodoxy from some kind of the New Age movement two years ago. My mom converted also.

1-5. The Truth fills me up and I need nothing more in this life

6-10. The sense of undiscbibable peace that I get when I am in the service and while praying. I feel like in Heaven.

I converted straight to Orthodoxy from some kind of the New Age movement two years ago. My mom converted also.

6-10. The sense of undiscbibable peace that I get when I am in the service and while praying. I feel like in Heaven.

Tell me, how do you verify truth?

I was born into it and raised to study and think it through, but all my study was colored by my indoctrination. I slowly realized over a very long period of time that I was lying to myself.

And xtians are not supposed to intermingle with non-xtians.

Then who was it that Jesus came to minister to? How many verses are there where Jesus defended his regular practice of hanging out with miscreants and degenerates? One of the primary roles of a christian is to hang out with and minister to the sinners.

I don't mind you bashing on the christians, we all do that, but that's a pretty glaring error in doctrine.

Truth!? Is it Truth or Faith. You can't have both. Once you know it to be "True" , then "Faith" is no longer required. Since "God" hasn't actually spoken to anyone in over 2,000 years no one really knows for sure if the bible is true. I find it rather funny that xtians always seem to say the have "Faith" in something they call the "Truth". I am yet to hear a xtian say that they know that there is no proof that the bible is the "Truth", but that they just have "Faith" that it is true. This would be an honest statement. If one uses their "god given" knowlege, reason and intellect one can only come up with the fact that the bible is not true. And by the way, humanity would fail to survive if it threw out all knowlege, reason and intellect.

P.S. I personally do not believe in biblegod.

No no no. You got it all wrong.

When an atheist says "truth", he means a justified fact established by reason.

When a Christian says "truth", he means TRVTH (note the roman u for added nobility), an overaching explanation that means nothing and explains everything, a statement that stops all further thought or examination.

"The material universe exists" is a truth (justified by reason).

"God exists" is a TRVTH (meaningless, explains everything, means nothing, stops all thought).

Tell me, how do you verify truth?

See the threads "Orhtodoxy" and about healings

Truth!? Is it Truth or Faith. You can't have both. Once you know it to be "True" , then "Faith" is no longer required.

See, even for you it is hard to believe in miracles. I have a hard time believing the truth, it's a virtue like humility. You can believe in a scientific truth, but with a spiritual one it is a different story. Spiritual effort is needed, although you might have the evidence all over the place.

Since "God" hasn't actually spoken to anyone in over 2,000 years no one really knows for sure if the bible is true.

He has, many, many times. It's just not known in the West.

Since "God" hasn't actually spoken to anyone in over 2,000 years no one really knows for sure if the bible is true.

He has, many, many times. It's just not known in the West.

What?!! On what basis do you say that?

TAP

*cough* or East for that matter...

For me:

1. Was christened as a baby. My parents were Anglican, hence so was I.

2. I didn't know anything else. I was not aware that any other religions even existed.

3. My parents decreed that I was Christian.

4. I didn't, until I hit fifteen, want to lose any of my friends. Past that age, I no longer cared about anything, and I still don't.

5. I couldn't get out of scripture lessons in K-5 unless I had parental consent, and I didn't have that consent.

6-10, see above.

Easy for me.

1. Fear of Hell and knowlege that as an unbeliever I was going there.

2. The "family" I saw at church that I wasn't a part of.

3. My life was fucked and I was dying of lonelines.

4.Wanting a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

5. Needing to fit in somewhere.

damn wasn't as easy as I thought, 5 is all I can come up with.

1. Was never one to begin with. I'm not even baptized. :grin:

The only reason I ever joined was because my parents made me. If I'd been given a choice in the matter, I probably wouldn't have. I remember having a Bible stories book when I was about 4 or 5 (my parents taught me to read when I was between 3 and 4), telling my mother something like "but they're just stories" and getting yelled at as a result.

Why don't I believe? I eventually realized that what I somehow instinctively knew at a young age was right. The Bible is just fiction. It contains stories that someone wrote down. That doesn't mean they're true.

If an author like David Eddings or Terry Pratchett can make up a pantheon for a fantasy novel, give them personalities and make them seem real, how on earth is it that Christians can't realize that someone did the same thing for the Bible? Even Christians who read science fiction and fantasy still don't get it, although they might eventually.

But I think this is really why some fundie churches frown on reading science fiction -- they know that if their followers realized that myth-creating isn't that difficult, they might figure out the truth.

Born into Catholicism. Raised my kids Catholic. But I prefer to think of my Catholicism as a fine buffet: Take a little of this and a little of that and leave what I don't want, like most French and Italians do.

angelwithholyspirit.jpg