Goodbye Jesus

Website With Articles On Ancient History

R. S. Martin

This website appears to be a free indepth course in ancient history for anyone interested in the topic. And all Christians should be interested in the topic; they need to know something of the roots and history of their religion other than what is in the Bible or taught in their Sunday School. Otherwise, you are blindly accepting what your church tells you. And we all know what happens when the blind lead the blind. To know if something is true, to test a principle, we need to look at what the critics say. Truth can withstand the harshest critique.

The title of this website is Articles of Ancient History. The focus is the biblical and early Christian lands of Mesopotamia, Egypt, Anatolia, Carthage, Greece, Judea, Rome, Persia, and others. Mesopotamia is where Abraham came from. Egypt is where the Israelites spent 400 years in bondage. Many of the other places are where Paul started churches, or where the Early Church Fathers served as Bishops. Briefly stated, Jona Lendering, the author of the more than 3,000 articles on this site, looks at the people and civilizations of the very places where Christianity was born and came of age.

Since most of these articles are written by one person, there will be some bias. However, this bias is somewhat ameliorated by the occasional link to related websites. I checked out one of these websites, Ancient Warfare Magazine, and it is really good. I highly recommend livius.org. Though Lendering is a Dutch professor, and most of his books are written in Dutch, his website appears in English on my computer. As with all works on ancient peoples, some names and titles appear in the languages of the peoples being discussed, but the text body is in English. Lendering has been writing these articles since 1996 to the present day. Choose the land that interests you and begin reading.

I'm not really sure that this should be in the Lion's Den. It was originally written up for the sources section of my own site. But I think it's such a good source that I wanted to post it on exC, too, where more people will see it. I made a few changes to make it fit exC but I really don't know if it fits or where it should go. I guess it can be nuked or moved quite easily as the mods see fit.

Good question. I'm not sure if we have a really matching section.

Great find, Ruby! Bookmarked.

A companion website is - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/home.html

This dude gives translation of much of the ancient Roman Historians, philosophers, etc...really a good read. I especially like Suetonius' "Twelve Caesars" - Heimdall :yellow: