Goodbye Jesus

Urban Farm Projects

Evan

Some interesting creative thinking was applied to these two unique yet similar ideas. One makes use of space, but the other tries to reduce the use of space. Both involve bringing some greenery to city streets.

First: Farmadelphia

Last month, Front Studio architects gave a talk at the University of Pennsylvania Department of City & Regional Planning. There they outlined "Farmadelphia," their now widely known proposal for the transformation of Philadelphia, in which that city's vacant and abandoned lots are turned into a thriving agricultural zone – complete with crops grown for local consumption and soil remediation, and with an eye toward future tourism, including surreal petting zoos, hay rides, and even corn mazes.

http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/farmadelphia.html

More of the same ideas: http://www.shrinkingcities.com/projekte3.0.html?&L=1

I know Cleveland could make good use of this idea :(

Second: Vertical Farm Project

By the year 2050, nearly 80% of the earth's population will reside in urban centers. Applying the most conservative estimates to current demographic trends, the human population will increase by about 3 billion people during the interim. An estimated 109 hectares of new land (about 20% more land than is represented by the country of Brazil) will be needed to grow enough food to feed them, if traditional farming practices continue as they are practiced today. At present, throughout the world, over 80% of the land that is suitable for raising crops is in use (sources: FAO and NASA). Historically, some 15% of that has been laid waste by poor management practices. What can be done to avoid this impending disaster?

http://verticalfarm.com/index.php

This takes farming to a whole new level!

P.S. I just couldn't pass up that pun opportunity

This is an old idea. During WW2, people planted Victory Gardens, as most food stuffs were highly rationed for use in the war. Cities used vacant lots, people planted serious garden in their yards, etc. One thing that most people have no clue about is how hard farming actually is. There is a huge difference between having a little garden and actually raising serious foodstuffs. as a farmer-rancher, my free hours (what little I have) are spent dealing with the daily chores inherent with rural living.

Yeah I tried to grow a small garden in my backyard. I didn't have the time or motivation to do much with it after my two week inspirational period ended. I didn't know this was done during WW2 though, thanks for sharing. Did the victory gardens lead to anything or did they pretty much die out after the war ended?

Evan,

This is a a neat spot of American history.

Industry HAD to learn to can up, transport across oceans, handles by stevedores and GI's in a hurry, not rupture, stale or rancid tonnnnnnns of food stuffs.

After war, same industry began a deep long effort to convince the American Householders the "Wonders of Instant Food!"

Canned veggies, Cakes in a Box, Brownies by the zillions, and BREAKFAST out of a BOX!!!!!

Seemed to work, folks got back to the States and the prepared foods took off with that Golden Age in America.

Was easier to let someone else grow, clean, sort, then prepare a can of soup that build one from water, veggies, beef parts and TIME. (TIME! Dear Housewife! WE S A V E you TIME!)

Prewar times not much was *tinned*, but post was hard to find but in rural areas where folks wanted to fool with food making.

Back then too, wasn't hard to find diners and places experimenting with drive throughs, take outs, and even dining in the car at the curb a the eatery.

Rural roads were turning in to double laned State Roads, big trucks used in the War developed into freighters taking the short hauls the railroads needed done. Those routes developed into concrete four laners, and the Truck Stop and quick serve cafes built a reputation.

Slowly as President Eisenhower's Interstate road system bypassed even these spots they died out. Freighters taking loads of goods couldn't afford the time to go *so far* off their routes. Mom and Dad demanded their canned and prepared goods "On Time, Every Time".

I love to visit those old places, now long gone off sides of any busy lanes. Often empty, boarded up, nothing seen but shells. But at one time "Lacy's Diner" was a swingin' place to be, get a burger, fill the truck, leave a whizz, take a nap, head out again.

Wind whipping a sign letting truckers know "Clean Showers Here!" still is readable and all but faded out. Penned on the side of the old style phone booth is "Yeah, I had to clean them!"..

Canned food made the USA in part the fantastic thing is is today.

Where the food comes from is a whole another story..

kL

Here is a link to a paper I wrote for my family history site. It covers both rationing and Victory Gardens. During WW2, my maternal grandfather was an engineer on the Santa Fe Railroad and was hence exempt from military service, but was a veteran of the 1930's Army. During WW2, Santa Fe Railroad set aside areas along its tracks for Victory Gardens. My grandparents however lived on a ranch near Canadian, Texas and hence, did not need another garden to produce food, they already had it on the ranch.

Rationing/Victory Gardens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_garden