Goodbye Jesus

I Under Estimate Stupidity

Wertbag

I have this problem. I just can't bring myself to think people are as stupid as they always turn out to be. I'm forever being amazed by people, yet I've seen it so often that it really shouldn't surprise anymore.

I got rear ended in a car the other day. We'd come to a complete stop at a red light, upon the light turning green the car driving up behind us plowed straight into the back of us. The excuse? "Duh I thought you'd pull away so I didn't slow...". I would have thought that was a rare occurance but the exact same thing with the same excuse happened to my Dad last year.

Between the news reports of people falling for the Nigerian scams, Health and Saftey demanding that we go to extremes to make the world safe for these idiots and even just the daily stupidity you see watching any traffic intersection I'm amazed the human race has survived as long as it has.

I was working at a computer repair centre, a woman brought her laptop in and said "I dropped this to the bottom of my swimming pool and now it doesn't work. I want it repaired under warranty".

I said "Sorry, submerging your laptop is considered inflicted damage and won't be covered by warranty"

She replied "Well its not my fault you didn't make it waterproof!"

Of course this stupidity overlaps to religion, any of the most weird cults or nutty ideas will always find followers. Doesn't matter if you set up a sex camp with 12 wives and preach that sex with children is holy, you will find idiots who flock to your cult. It even doesn't matter if you tell them to sell their homes, burn their clothes and wait for the end of the world, some nutbar will believe you. And to really take the cake you can even convince these people to kill themselves and their loved ones...

Then you hear about scientology with its high costs and alien influence, or Mormanism with its strange book that no one else saw created, or Christians worshipping wood panelling cos it looks like Jesus, or suicide bombers convinced that killing themselves will somehow be a good idea, and yet these groups number in the thousands or millions with equally unbelieveable grounds to stand on.

I met a guy selling crystals. He didn't believe in any of the new age hippy crap that gets spouted about crystals, but found that if he put out a book called "better health through crystals" his sales went out through the roof. He was buying in crystals by the barrel load and kept selling out... I told him that I could never sell in a way I knew was false, he said "I don't give them the ideas, I don't encourage the ideas but if they are stupid enough to buy my product with that idea I'm not about to stop 'em". I don't know, would you think its immoral to take money for something you don't believe in, or is it fine to take from the stupid?

Goodbye Jesus

With the money issues I'm facing lately I am honestly half-debating with myself the morality of such a thing. IS it okay to take from the gullible, the easily deceived, the *stupid* in society?

By feeding stupidity are we just creating a bigger problem though?

I don't know, but I feel your pain...

I don't know, would you think its immoral to take money for something you don't believe in, or is it fine to take from the stupid?

There is a difference between taking someone's money and having them freely give it to you. A good example is astrology. So what if you don't believe in it. People "buying" birthcharts are either convinced its real, or are doing it for entertainment purposes.

This is the age of the WWW. If you believe in the power of crystals, it's your own fault if you "only read one book" or only read books with positive spin on this. There is nothing stopping them from googling crystals or astrology and reading both pros and cons.

Some people are *entertained* by the prospect that maybe it might be true. It's fun for them to buy crystals and birthcharts. So no, it's not wrong in this context, you are providing entertainment.

Now, on the other hand, if you are offering things that make your ding dong bigger, and claim it is "real science" and chemistry, that's different. You are working off of medical deception, rather then superstition.

It's all in the context of it, but no, I would have no problem selling either crystals or birthcharts. I would however, have a major problem selling dick extending pills.

I owned and operated a consumer electronics repair shop before my health went south. I can certainly sympathize with the swimming pool story. I heard and saw it all, and stupidity ran rampant.

There's a fine line between naive and gullible.

There's one thing with consumer electronics - well, maybe any product actually.

Manufacturers pretty much rely on the ignorance of the consumer when selling any new product. A large portion of the specifications for a lot of equipment is absolutely meaningless.

In older TVs, for instance, when everyone was on a "lines of resolution" kick. I sold the bloody equipment and I hated being asked what the LOR was. Because what did it really fucking matter? Until DV tape and DVDs came out nothing was capable of even filling the 600+ LOR that the bigscreens were capable of.

Bleh...and don't even get me started on THD and oversampling...

In the 80's I read a couple of authors that stated that with increased technology and help through automated systems, humanity's intelligence will shrink. And I think that's what we're seeing the effects of right now.

I've noticed a similar thing with cosmetics, they all try to stand out by making up meaningless terms that sound scientific. "Our face cream is the only one with Q79 complex protein" or their great ads with 3D animations of goo cleaning pores and adding youth...

Seems to be many cases were the adverts tell you that you have a problem you never knew and then explain their product will fix this issue. Things like hair regrowth (might be natural for humans but you don't have to put up with it!), multi-vitamins (we won't specifically fix anything, but if you're not 100% in every way then you really should buy our product!) or fashion (you must buy this new hat or you won't be cool!).

But marketing works, theres tons of idiots who will swarm to the local store demanding these products...

I now work at a large IT company, and I thought I'd be surrounded by nerdy, intelligent types, but no the stupid runs deeps in all parts of society. From burnt out plasma TVs, to moved IP phones that won't work elsewhere, to bringing virus infected PCs into work, theres always something going wrong. One rocket scientist decided to leave a note for the cleaners, so wrote on the toilet roll holder in permenant pen "This is stuck!". The whole thing had to be scrubbed with alcohol to get it off...

In the 80's I read a couple of authors that stated that with increased technology and help through automated systems, humanity's intelligence will shrink. And I think that's what we're seeing the effects of right now.

But there's such a lovely balance! Not ALL humans will have a reduction in intelligence, and if intelligence drops too far, we have entertaining Darwin Awards nominees!

I don't remember who said it but

To grasp the concept of 'Infinity', one merely has to contemplate the breadth of human stupidity

is something of a mantra of mine... I set the bar low and even then they fail to meet it. There again, I'm no bench mark. If I don't currently know something, it doesn't take me long to get a pretty good grasp of the available views and to form my own opinion... and if a twat like me can do that, I don't see why everyone can't...

Doesn't matter if you set up a sex camp with 12 wives and preach that sex with children is holy, you will find idiots who flock to your cult. It even doesn't matter if you tell them to sell their homes, burn their clothes and wait for the end of the world, some nutbar will believe you.

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I realized that there is no idea so stupid that it fails to gain believers and rake in the cash. I've been working on a list. It's still a work in progress...

1. Acupuncture

2. Anthroposophy

3. Astral projection

4. Astrology

5. Atlantis

6. Auras

7. Bermuda triangle

8. Blindfolded vision

9. Breatharianism

10. Cottingley Faires

11. Crop circles

12. Crystal power

13. Dowsing

14. Elves

15. ESP

16. Fairies

17. Faith healing

18. Fan death

19. Feng shui

20. Fire walking

21. Flat earth

22. Free energy

23. Ghosts

24. Handwriting analysis

25. Head On

26. Hollow Earth

27. Homeopathy

28. Hypnotic regression

29. I Ching

30. Incubi /succubae

31. Indigo children

32. Intelligent Design

33. Iridology

34. Kirlian photography

35. Lemuria

36. Monster - Abominable Snowman

37. Monsters – Bigfoot

38. Monsters – Champ

39. Monsters – Chupacabra

40. Monsters – Loch Ness

41. Monsters – Mothman

42. Moon hoax

43. Nostradamus

44. Ouija boards

45. Out of body experience

46. Palm reading

47. Past lives

48. Perpetual motion

49. Phrenology

50. Psychic surgery

51. Psychics

52. Pyramid power

53. Reflexology

54. Reiki

55. Reincarnation

56. Remote viewing

57. Rumpology

58. Séance

59. Speaking in tongues

60. Spoon bending

61. Stigmata

62. Taking to the dead

63. Tarot cards

64. Tea leaf reading

65. Telekinesis

66. Telepathy

67. The Secret

68. Therapeutic touch

69. Transcendental Meditation

70. Trolls

71. UFO’s

72. Unicorns

73. Vampires

74. Voodoo

75. Vortex healing

76. Weeping statues

77. Werewolves

78. Witches (the kind that cannot be suffered to live)

I agree that it is amazing how stupid some people are. Oh well, if we were all created with the same intelligence the world would be a boring place. Wait a minute, if we were all intelligent, there would be no religion or superstition. Wait a minute, that might be pretty good.

I was working at a computer repair centre, a woman brought her laptop in and said "I dropped this to the bottom of my swimming pool and now it doesn't work. I want it repaired under warranty".

I said "Sorry, submerging your laptop is considered inflicted damage and won't be covered by warranty"

She replied "Well its not my fault you didn't make it waterproof!"

*bitchslap*

"Not my fault that you weren't wearing a helmet"

:pureevil:

I don't know, would you think its immoral to take money for something you don't believe in, or is it fine to take from the stupid?

I keep wondering why I don't exploit the idiocy of all the morons out there too. To consider that I keep working my arse off while I could just as well write book #4,636,211 about babblical cretinism (all with the same bullshit claims again, of course) and become a near-instant millionaire...

...alas, both my education and the teachings of my weird faith tell me that honesty is a virtue. I guess both ruined me - I can't take even from those who literally beg for it :lmao:

I now work at a large IT company, and I thought I'd be surrounded by nerdy, intelligent types, but no the stupid runs deeps in all parts of society. From burnt out plasma TVs, to moved IP phones that won't work elsewhere, to bringing virus infected PCs into work, theres always something going wrong.

Add to that the arrogance of a certain kind of people and you're in Hell™...

...recently at work:

User called me after already getting help from two of my helpdesk colleagues. She had (yes, for the third time in a row!) opened a file sent to her via M$ Outlook mail and edited it, lost her edits - we're talking about M$ after all - and bitched and moaned about it.

After she told me "I've been talking to Ms Karpa earlier today and she could recover the file..." (yep she did, I had overheard Ms Karpa's side of that call) I politely replied...

"...but then, Ms Karpa surely advised you to save files to your personal folder first before editing them, yes?"

To which she replied "Yes she told me, but I did so anyway."

Without even a slight hint of "sorry" in her voice.

It was one of the moments I wished I had an assault rifle at the ready to make the evening headlines... :banghead:

1. Acupuncture

22. Free energy

I am out on wether Acupuncture really works but Free Energy seems possible. I used to read alot on Nikolai tesla. Very intersting stuff. Of course I could just be another gullible fool.

I have this problem. I just can't bring myself to think people are as stupid as they always turn out to be. I'm forever being amazed by people, yet I've seen it so often that it really shouldn't surprise anymore.
I know exactly what you're saying!!!!!

I mean, isn't 'underestimate' ONE word?!?!?! :twitch:

:lmao:

Just playin'. :HaHa:

I admit I am not the most intelligent person. But I do take comfort in the fact that there are folks that are dumber than me. Every day I run into at least one WTF were they thinking issue. Most of the time the issues that crop up boil down to simple logic not being applied. Scary.

Maybe this is why manufacturers have to put every type of warning label on products. Stupid people doing stupid things and instead of taking responsibility for their stupidity they sue the company that made the product. Come on folks not all products are defective, you know coffee is hot and electrical appliances shouldn't be near water.

My favorite for the month of November was when I witnessed a guy in a truck plow through a red light and broadside a car coming through the intersection, I stopped to offer assistance. His excuse..."my breaks failed". I'm sure they did fail considering the truck had a rejection sticker on the windshield. Vehicles are required to pass an inspection every year in my state and those that don't pass are not supposed to be on the road until they are repaired. Stupid fool. He could have killed the woman in the passenger seat, luckily her injuries weren't critical, it may take awhile but she will recover.

With less money in their pocket, the less damage they can do to others. :P

Doesn't matter if you set up a sex camp with 12 wives and preach that sex with children is holy, you will find idiots who flock to your cult. It even doesn't matter if you tell them to sell their homes, burn their clothes and wait for the end of the world, some nutbar will believe you.

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I realized that there is no idea so stupid that it fails to gain believers and rake in the cash. I've been working on a list. It's still a work in progress...

1. Acupuncture

2. Anthroposophy

3. Astral projection

4. Astrology

5. Atlantis

6. Auras

7. Bermuda triangle

8. Blindfolded vision

9. Breatharianism

10. Cottingley Faires

11. Crop circles

12. Crystal power

13. Dowsing

14. Elves

15. ESP

16. Fairies

17. Faith healing

18. Fan death

19. Feng shui

20. Fire walking

21. Flat earth

22. Free energy

23. Ghosts

24. Handwriting analysis

25. Head On

26. Hollow Earth

27. Homeopathy

28. Hypnotic regression

29. I Ching

30. Incubi /succubae

31. Indigo children

32. Intelligent Design

33. Iridology

34. Kirlian photography

35. Lemuria

36. Monster - Abominable Snowman

37. Monsters – Bigfoot

38. Monsters – Champ

39. Monsters – Chupacabra

40. Monsters – Loch Ness

41. Monsters – Mothman

42. Moon hoax

43. Nostradamus

44. Ouija boards

45. Out of body experience

46. Palm reading

47. Past lives

48. Perpetual motion

49. Phrenology

50. Psychic surgery

51. Psychics

52. Pyramid power

53. Reflexology

54. Reiki

55. Reincarnation

56. Remote viewing

57. Rumpology

58. Séance

59. Speaking in tongues

60. Spoon bending

61. Stigmata

62. Taking to the dead

63. Tarot cards

64. Tea leaf reading

65. Telekinesis

66. Telepathy

67. The Secret

68. Therapeutic touch

69. Transcendental Meditation

70. Trolls

71. UFO’s

72. Unicorns

73. Vampires

74. Voodoo

75. Vortex healing

76. Weeping statues

77. Werewolves

78. Witches (the kind that cannot be suffered to live)

Thanks, you just gave me a list of websites to build.

*kidding*

If you really want to see human idiocy in action, then watch Penn & Teller's "Bullshit!"

(Just don't watch more than one episode per day, or your head will explode from rage.)

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”…..Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

“The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.”……Harlan Ellison

“Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.” ………Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

Here's some GLOWING intelligence for you:

Enjoy, prepare to say WTF???

I am out on wether Acupuncture really works but Free Energy seems possible. I used to read alot on Nikolai tesla. Very intersting stuff. Of course I could just be another gullible fool.

I'm a big fan of Nikola Tesla, too! Although I wonder how much of his stuff was hype and how much was real. He did invent and patent a lot of neat stuff. But that's not the "free energy" to which I'm referring. Tesla wanted to generate electricity and distribute it without wires but had no way to meter or charge for the electricity. Therefore, it would have been free.

The "free energy" I mean is perpetual motion machines and gadgets that allegedly put out more energy than they use.

I once ran into a guy who swears that he was part of a test group and that his entire block was powered by 6 boat batteries. I tried to explain The Conservation of Energy to him, but to no avail. Most things in that list are just like religion.

www.randi.org is a great place hear about this kind of thing. (it's my 2nd favorite site after this one)

Uuhmm... so I gather that South Africa has a lot of influence on our intelligence?... That was a hellova spinning. Now I will have a headache the rest of the day.

Uuhmm... so I gather that South Africa has a lot of influence on our intelligence?... That was a hellova spinning. Now I will have a headache the rest of the day.

I wish he'd put a warning on that... Not Safe For Intelligence, maybe?

That's one scary list of stuff. I've played around with many of them but as my critical thinking increased they all fell away or became random-idea-generating tools.

(makes mental note to generate next year's NaNoWriMo storyline by drawing cards from her long-unused Rider/Waite Tarot deck)

I think some of the NewAgeish stuff can be useful as a placebo. Acupuncture does seem to stir up endorphins, but from what I've read it doesn't really matter *where* you put the damn needles.

And crystals pretty rocks are fun to collect.

I'm a big fan of Nikola Tesla, too! Although I wonder how much of his stuff was hype and how much was real. He did invent and patent a lot of neat stuff. But that's not the "free energy" to which I'm referring. Tesla wanted to generate electricity and distribute it without wires but had no way to meter or charge for the electricity. Therefore, it would have been free.

The "free energy" I mean is perpetual motion machines and gadgets that allegedly put out more energy than they use.

I once ran into a guy who swears that he was part of a test group and that his entire block was powered by 6 boat batteries. I tried to explain The Conservation of Energy to him, but to no avail. Most things in that list are just like religion.

www.randi.org is a great place hear about this kind of thing. (it's my 2nd favorite site after this one)

Simple misunderstanding then!

I always wanted to build a 100 ft. tesla coil just to say I have a 100 ft. tesla coil in my back yard..

But...If I had that kind of money I wouldnt be eating ramen noodles for dinner. go figure!