Goodbye Jesus

I Under Estimate Stupidity

Wertbag

Actually Old Nick was trying to harness *real* free energy, in the same way a crystal radio converts EM Waves in space to voltage in a wire, and then transmit it wirelessly. No generation apparatus involved.

But...If I had that kind of money I wouldnt be eating ramen noodles for dinner. go figure!

At least you worship The Pasta correctly!

RAmen! (May you be touched by his Noodly Appendage!*) :17:

Actually Old Nick was trying to harness *real* free energy, in the same way a crystal radio converts EM Waves in space to voltage in a wire, and then transmit it wirelessly. No generation apparatus involved.

To Grandpa: I haven't read any of my Tesla books in many years (so I may be way off base here), but wasn't his Colorado lab related to his power generation scheme? IIRC his Colorado lab not only sucked so much electricity out of the primitive grid that he shut it down, but he was eventually able to throw enough into the local area that he could pick some up thru a rod shoved in the ground. (I can't remember if this latter event actually happened. It could be my hopeful imagination). But the main point is that he had to suck up juice from the local grid.

At any rate, his kick-ass tower in [New Jersey?, New York?] was not intended to "generate" electricity as I understand it. It was just meant to distribute it. Since he could not provide a way to meter it, that's why Westinghouse pulled the plug (no pun intended. Really!).

Damn, now I'm gonna have to re-read everything I can find about Ol' Tesla!

Good times!

*Edited to properly endorse the FSM*

I now work at a large IT company, and I thought I'd be surrounded by nerdy, intelligent types, but no the stupid runs deeps in all parts of society. From burnt out plasma TVs, to moved IP phones that won't work elsewhere, to bringing virus infected PCs into work, theres always something going wrong.

Add to that the arrogance of a certain kind of people and you're in Hellâ„¢...

...recently at work:

User called me after already getting help from two of my helpdesk colleagues. She had (yes, for the third time in a row!) opened a file sent to her via M$ Outlook mail and edited it, lost her edits - we're talking about M$ after all - and bitched and moaned about it.

After she told me "I've been talking to Ms Karpa earlier today and she could recover the file..." (yep she did, I had overheard Ms Karpa's side of that call) I politely replied...

"...but then, Ms Karpa surely advised you to save files to your personal folder first before editing them, yes?"

To which she replied "Yes she told me, but I did so anyway."

Without even a slight hint of "sorry" in her voice.

It was one of the moments I wished I had an assault rifle at the ready to make the evening headlines... :banghead:

I don't know ettiquette in Germany but here if someone tried that they'd get information about personal responsibility.

If I were in your place, instead of wishing for a rifle I didn't have I might say, "I'm sorry but you will find it really works a lot better that way. The rest of us have to do it that way and I'm sure you will have to do it that way, too, if you want to hold your job."

That would inform her that this really is a very serious issue. Even if you are not directly responsible for firing and hiring her you would just be sharing general information that most employees "just know."

That's my take on the situation. I haven't read all the posts yet; maybe there is more on it below.

If I were in your place, instead of wishing for a rifle I didn't have I might say, "I'm sorry but you will find it really works a lot better that way. The rest of us have to do it that way and I'm sure you will have to do it that way, too, if you want to hold your job."

That would inform her that this really is a very serious issue. Even if you are not directly responsible for firing and hiring her you would just be sharing general information that most employees "just know."

I know what you mean... but sadly, "we" are just a small company of about... how many were we the last time it was announced?... max 800 people, and Them™ are part of the Volkswagen megacorp :Hmm:

In other words, if an "internal employee" did what you suggest it might work... but for us "externals" it will only mean trouble.

I don't know, would you think its immoral to take money for something you don't believe in, or is it fine to take from the stupid?

And you would have the same moral fabric as a televangelist.

Should we try to save these lost souls from salvation or let them feed us? Letting them feed us is definitely less futile.

Mongo