Goodbye Jesus

Who Are You?

GraphicsGuy

What does it mean to "know who you are?" I'd like to hear your opinions if you have a few minutes to leave a comment.

I'm really wondering what other people make of this because I often wonder, "who am I?" That might sound strange, but I'm not the same person I was a year ago. That guy wasn't the same person as the guy ten years ago.

What does it mean to know who you are?

Is it more important for you to know yourself or for others to know who you are?

I'm going through some intensive therapy to understand just that. I sometimes have thought that I'm just a mirror, reflecting what the OP wants to see; plastic and malleable. My hope and goal is to be a fully integrated person, valuable and relevant in my own right, and understanding and managing my undesireable traits while leaving myself open to positive change and growth.

I am The Spook of Kryasst! Glory! :grin:

Since we are shaped by our experiences, I sometimes wonder who I would have been as a person if I had never been religious. I think we just ought to find out what gives us a sense of purpose and fulfillment in life and go with it and be the best people that we can be, and "who we are' will work itself out.

What does it mean to "know who you are?" I'd like to hear your opinions if you have a few minutes to leave a comment.

I'm really wondering what other people make of this because I often wonder, "who am I?" That might sound strange, but I'm not the same person I was a year ago. That guy wasn't the same person as the guy ten years ago.

What does it mean to know who you are?

Is it more important for you to know yourself or for others to know who you are?

I am:

A father

A husband

A comic

A dramatic

A lover

A fighter

A romantic

A friend

A foe

A fool

A wise person

A mistake maker

A problem solver

Basically I am a *human*.

And I don't think I am much more then that. We are the end product of all we have seen and done, and have had happen to us up until this moment in our lives. Our mind is different, our cells in our bodies are different, our *world* we live in is different, much more so then when we first arrived.

*We* are a work in progress. Always changing, evolving, or deteriorating, moving through time and our cycle of life. As part of the equation of life on this planet, we see that it too, is changing always, and always will. Like native american indians feel, we play a role, even if we don't want to. Events are snowballed by time. Go back in time to the stone age and kill a peasant, and you might dramatically change the course of history. *You* and *I* live in ancient times NOW, as will be viewed by people in the distant future. We are in the deep past *now*, and what we do, or don't do, can and will alter things.

As with all things in nature, our role has an effect on the big picture.

Knowing your place in the cycle of life and time, is the closest thing I think anyone can have to a "true™ religion.

Who you are is ultimately defined by you and your environment, and your place in "time". You *will* be influenced by your world, no matter how stubborn. And no amount of "faith" will change the reality of our world and our role in it.

The ship of life is sailing. You can use the rudder to steer it, but you cannot change the tide, or the current. If you handle rough waves with skill, you will survive for a time. But it's how thoughtful and honorable you sail that defines you.

We are Legion for we are many. :grin:

LOL, so how are you guys doing? Have you folks been winning at poker? I used to kid my wife telling her I am schizo, would always talk and answer in plural like I speak for a group.

Wife: Are you ever coming to bed?

Me: No, we are going to watch some TV, we will all be in there soon.

Wife: Who's we?

Me: Me of course..

Wife: huh?

lol

LOL, so how are you guys doing? Have you folks been winning at poker? I used to kid my wife telling her I am schizo, would always talk and answer in plural like I speak for a group.

We are doing fine thank you Michael! :HaHa:

Seriously though, I often say "we" that's why I chose the moniker of Legion. And I think we are all multi-faceted, just as your post suggests that you are multi-faceted Michael.

Seriously though, I often say "we" that's why I chose the moniker of Legion. And I think we are all multi-faceted, just as your post suggests that you are multi-faceted Michael.

We all thank you LR. ;)

I really like what Michael said about we are the result of our experiences. I would have to agree with this statement. I know where you are coming from graphicsguy. I am going to a Mardi Gras party tonight and earlier today I was thinking back on when I went to this same party last year. I was totally messed up. I can say that I have grown older and wiser in this past year. I agree that we are constantly evolving and who we are changes just as the situations in life change. My goal is to always become better and wiser and not change for the worse.

Growing up means a finality and I prefer to be always in a discovery mode.

I always feel a little envious of people who really don't question and are satisfied to just live the way they are. I feel I have this incessant NEED to grow and develop and change. To a lot of people that means I'm not stable because I'm not happy to remain in one place.

But if I'm not moving forward, I'm not happy. But being on the move often means lonliness. Vicious circle...

My hope and goal is to be a fully integrated person, valuable and relevant in my own right, and understanding and managing my undesireable traits while leaving myself open to positive change and growth.

Wow...I can so relate to that EXACT feeling. How the hell did you put that so succintly?

I sometimes wonder who I would have been as a person if I had never been religious.

I wonder this a LOT actually. I wonder if I would be a stronger, more secure person now. I wonder if I would have figured out what I'm going through now and be on to something new.

And then I also wonder if I would be shallow instead of being of the depth and quality that I am now...I have no clue...

I am:

A father

A husband

A comic

A dramatic

A lover

A fighter

A romantic

A friend

A foe

A fool

A wise person

A mistake maker

A problem solver

Basically I am a *human*.

The ship of life is sailing. You can use the rudder to steer it, but you cannot change the tide, or the current. If you handle rough waves with skill, you will survive for a time. But it's how thoughtful and honorable you sail that defines you.

A wonderful post, Michael. The only "problem" I have with the list you wrote is the similarities between it and the "Who are you Jesus" lists that men used to stick in my Bible...bleh...

Not that you list isn't true, I just never "got" who the hell I was in Jesus crap. Who I am in "The Spook of Kryasst" is just a valid. :P

Who I am in ME is what you're pointing out.

"It's how thoughtful and honorable you sail..." That is so important. I so agree!

Maybe that's all we *really* are! We're just a big collective of our Borg Drone cells!

My goal is to always become better and wiser and not change for the worse.

A worthy goal indeed. Regardless of "who I am" now or "who I become" this will always be my goal as well.

To a human a fried chicken leg is a tasty snack, but to an ant it's a mighty, greasy meat mountain.

I dunno. Who are you?

Are you your thoughts? Then what is between your thoughts?

Are you your feelings? Can you observe yourself feeling? If you are observing your feelings, are you your feelings, or the one observing them?

Are you your experiences? Who would you be if you hadn't had them, then?

I think we're a lot of things, summed up, and then a little bit more than the sum of our experiences and our nature.

What if you got baked, read some Robert Anton Wilson, and asked yourself, "Who is the me that is living me now?"

:shrug:

I think it has more to do with accepting yourself, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Anyone can accept the good, but to really be at peace with yourself you have to accept the bad also. Though, I say my faults are idiosyncrocies rather than faults. I have a tendancy to be spacey when I'm under stress and I tend to procrastinate, which are my biggest faults. Though, I'm very personable and get along with almost everyone. I'm comfortable with who I am and I don't expect everyone to like me. It's more important who I like than who likes me, anyway. I love to think about things and love to hear others opinoins. I'm more of a listener than a talker, which tends to draw people to me. People tell me all kinds of things because I listen, know I won't judge them, and they trust me because I never repeat what they tell me.