Goodbye Jesus

A Lost Swede

Emme

I am 23 years old and I am from Sweden. I found this forum today

and I hope it will help me not feeling so alone.

I grew up in a pentecostal church, my grandfather was a pastor and now my

brother is a pastor aswell. I started avoiding going to church when I was about

fifteen and I've been trying to live a normal life "just like everybody else."

But...Now i'ts all catching up to me.

I just feel so numb. I feel like I've lost my whole world. I'm sad and confused and

angry, but I can't figure out who I'm angry with!

I feel like I'm not able to be happy, even though my life looks really good

on paper and I shouldn't have a worry in the world. I'm studying, I have a great apartment, friends, boyfriend etc.

I feel like somebody has ripped away all reason and now I'm just lulling around

without purpose!

What's a girl to do? How can I get out of this vacuum?

Åh! En annan svensk! Så kul. Hur är vädret därhemma? Har ni snö?

Welcome to our site. We all have stories how difficult the path was out from religion. You'll find a lot of friends here.

Is your b/f a Christian still too? Usually relationships are the hardest part when you lose your faith.

-edit-

Btw, we lived in Upsala for 10 years and were members of Livets Ord. I guess you never heard of that church... :HaHa: Have they become more extreme over the years or have they started to soften?

Welcome to our site. We all have stories how difficult the path was out from religion. You'll find a lot of friends here.

Is your b/f a Christian still too? Usually relationships are the hardest part when you lose your faith.

-edit-

Btw, we lived in Upsala for 10 years and were members of Livets Ord. I guess you never heard of that church... :HaHa: Have they become more extreme over the years or have they started to soften?

Nämen! kul! Får man skriva på svenska eller blir admin sur då?

-edit-

Vädret är kallt som vanligt!

Livets ord har lugnat ner sig lite vad jag förstår, men allting är ju relativt...

Killen är inte kristen, han är ateist, vilket jag tycker är ganska skönt!

Har ni flyttat till USA?

A phrase here and there won't cause too much debate. Admin won't care... heck, I'm one of them... but I know it's rude to the other members. They would think we're talking about them behind their backs. :)

I'm thrilled to see someone else from the cold country.

So what church did you belong to? And who was/is your pastor?

Vädret är kallt som vanligt!

Livets ord har lugnat ner sig lite vad jag förstår, men allting är ju relativt...

Killen är inte kristen, han är ateist, vilket jag tycker är ganska skönt!

Har ni flyttat till USA?

For the other members:

It's cold as usually. Livets Ord has calmed down, but all is relative...

b/f is not Christian, he's an atheist, which I think is really nice.

Did you moved to USA?

Yes. We moved in '96. Me, my wife, my kids, and we live in sunny California with earthquakes and wildfires. Hopefully one day we can arrange to go back to Svedala. Maybe next year. We'll see.

I grew up in a pentecostal church...

...I feel like I've lost my whole world.

Part 2 follows from part 1 almost automatically, or so it seems for me who has never been in a morontheist cult himself :shrug:

What's a girl to do? How can I get out of this vacuum?

Good question. I'm probably not in a good position to give advice, but methinks you should do your best to live your life. You know, the life morontheists don't want to allow anyone to live.

That said, welcome, nice to meet yet another European. Greetings from Germany :)

The trick? I'm not sre what the cure-all would be exactly, but I'm pretty sure it starts with realizing this is the only life you have, and you'd better make damn sure it's special, that you're living every moment as if it might be your last, and not living in the shadow of the fictional "afterlife", because you have absolutely no evidence that there even is one.

There might be philosophical debates about fate vs. free will, but until humanity learns to time-travel, put your good money on free will. This is your life, have a ball.

A phrase here and there won't cause too much debate. Admin won't care... heck, I'm one of them... but I know it's rude to the other members. They would think we're talking about them behind their backs. :)

I just thought I had a stroke! :grin:

mwc

You know, I feel so much better already! I sort of had the idea

that I was the only one ever to feel this way (the narcissism of me!)

Hah!

M,

We all felt that way before we found this website. I thought only a few demon possessed crazies would fall out of faith, so when I went through the process it was like "there can't be many that went through this", and then I came here and found out that I was not alone. Still, it seems like it's fairly rare, but it does happen more than expected, and it seems like we're getting more and more members. It could be a sign that the world is changing and people start waking up. We can only hope.

I agree with Hans. I didn't know anyone else who had left the faith except for the rebellious. I wasn't rebelling, I just couldn't beleive it, no matter how much I wanted to. I didn't turn my back on Jesus. He slowly faded away into nothingness and I had no choice but to accept that all he'd been was a illusion.

Here, I found a commonality with others who understand what this experience is like. I've also made some wonderful and cherished friends.

Taph

Welcome, welcome, welcome, emme,

Yup, you're going through the typical emotions we've all gone through...hell, a lot of us are still going through them. Lots of anger, confusion, feeling like your world is falling apart, feeling torn asunder.

*sigh*

I keep being told that it gets better, but I'm not there yet. This place is a huge help. I think I would have bashed my head in with a brick by now if I hadn't found it.

So, you certainly aren't alone. This is your safe haven.

Welcome! Like you, it took me a while to find people who were also exes. You are most definitely not alone.

Ã…h! En annan svensk! SÃ¥ kul.

(ok...I copied/pasted from Han. Welcome though!)

Welcome to the board.

Anger, but you're not sure what at...I know that feeling. If you think about it, you just lost what was (I'm guessing) a major part of your life and identity, which, even if you're better off without it, can cause some grief. Anger tends to be one of the stages involved in getting over systems like this. Are you sure it is a who you are angry with and not a what?

A lot of this sounds normal and very familiar especially around these parts. If you need anyone to talk to, we're here.

Quick,

First I thought.. whah!? Quick is swedish too??!? :HaHa:

Hi Emme, welcome. I only joined up a couple of weeks ago and I was really glad to find people that were in the same situation as me. Sometimes it helps me just to read through a few of the threads on here. And hey, I'm European too! Greetings from sunny England hahaha. :grin:

Hi Emme, welcome. I only joined up a couple of weeks ago and I was really glad to find people that were in the same situation as me. Sometimes it helps me just to read through a few of the threads on here. And hey, I'm European too! Greetings from sunny England hahaha. :grin:

Great another european!!

Whereabouts are you from? personally I have a soft spot for Cambridge,

I spent a couple of weeks there as a teenager and I can't get over it!

Great another european!!

Whereabouts are you from? personally I have a soft spot for Cambridge,

I spent a couple of weeks there as a teenager and I can't get over it!

I live about 20 mins from Cambridge, I love it there too! Where in Sweden are you from? I've been to Stockholm and up to Kiruna to that Ice hotel.

Guest Prunesquallor

Oh! Another Swede! I'm 22 years old, live in Solna (outside Stockholm) and I've been lurking this forum about a year now... My father was the pastor in a Pentacostal church.

When I first started doubting my faith years ago, I felt as you do now. But purposelessness needn't be a bad thing. And if the purpose of life had been to get to know God better and win other people for Christ - most things we do would lack a purpose. Reading great books, eating a semla (a traditional swedish pastry), playing Super Mario, snogging your boy- or girlfriend, making silly jokes - it would all be completely pointless. The fact that I lack an eternal life makes all those things more meaningful to me.

Life is a mystery. Look at this. Giant rodents and monkeys living in peace and harmony. Pointless and beautiful.

Oh! Another Swede! I'm 22 years old, live in Solna (outside Stockholm) and I've been lurking this forum about a year now... My father was the pastor in a Pentacostal church.

When I first started doubting my faith years ago, I felt as you do now. But purposelessness needn't be a bad thing. And if the purpose of life had been to get to know God better and win other people for Christ - most things we do would lack a purpose. Reading great books, eating a semla (a traditional swedish pastry), playing Super Mario, snogging your boy- or girlfriend, making silly jokes - it would all be completely pointless. The fact that I lack an eternal life makes all those things more meaningful to me.

Life is a mystery. Look at this. Giant rodents and monkeys living in peace and harmony. Pointless and beautiful.

I lived in Solna for two years! Now I live in Sundbyberg, around the corner!

It's a small world after all!

Ah, the Swedish invasion has begun! Welcome! I didn't know there were that many pentecostals in Sweden. So sorry that we crazy Americans invented that religion and sent it your way.

Ah, the Swedish invasion has begun! Welcome! I didn't know there were that many pentecostals in Sweden. So sorry that we crazy Americans invented that religion and sent it your way.

Thou Art Forgiven!!

Now go in peace and sin no more

:HaHa:

Welcome Prunesq,

I've been the only one here for the last couple of years and now suddenly it starts raining swedes. :grin:

You know what I miss most from Sweden? Maxi burger and pizza. Well, almost. I've found some burger joints that got close enough burgers, and we have a pizza place near my job that got pizza that's just ... awesome!

And the candy... Swedish candy is just so much better... and the chocolate, ice cream, bread... and I miss a bowl of "fil och flingor".

We do have "hårt bröd" here, and Kalles Kaviar (Ikea). Even "sill" but it's hard to get the fresh baby potatoes at midsommar.