Goodbye Jesus

Are The Religious Moderates Better Than The Fundies?

R. S. Martin

What an absolutely amazing thread.

Just attempted to catch up and respond to those posts that I really wanted to reply to - must have hit twenty because the quote function capacity went into melt down ...

so just .... well ... :) awesome.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Open_Minded

• Alice

• Antlerman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What an absolutely amazing thread.

Just attempted to catch up and respond to those posts that I really wanted to reply to - must have hit twenty because the quote function capacity went into melt down ...

so just .... well ... :) awesome.

Yeah, I have to agree with this! Very interesting thread, went in so many directions, but each direction was enlightening!

We've got people on here who take LoTR pretty seriously. The way it's been referred to on this thread gives me the impression that some of the people who have responded in this thread take it as seriously as most Christians take the Bible.
Am I the only one who thinks LOTR is severly over-rated? *goes back to worshipping anime*

I read a book called The Hero's Journey by Joseph Campbell that discusses the different kinds of archetypes in literature.

Someone recently recommended Joseph Campbell to me. Now that I've heard this name a second time I may have to check it out.

It could have been me, because I keep on mention him, but I noticed that few pick up on it.

Actually the guy who metioned him was someone I met in meat space. But now that I know you're a fan Hans, I'll definitely check it out.

Am I the only one who thinks LOTR is severly over-rated? *goes back to worshipping anime*

WHHHAAAAATTT!!!

Get the pitchforks, tar and feathers... we got some lynching to be done!

:HaHa:

There are horrors on both sides of Christinazis and Islamofascists. I cannot see one shining moment in either religion because the bloodshed and hateful rhetoric still remain and the warm and fuzzy doctrines they want to preach is just the smoke screen for their bent on world domination. Both of these religions will see the end of humanity rather than coexist. The world should rise up and depose these two extreme forms of religion as evil towards humanity.

religion6_sized.jpg

Tehran_stoning.jpg

WHHHAAAAATTT!!!

Get the pitchforks, tar and feathers... we got some lynching to be done!

Since I'm kinda curious and people seem interested I started a thread for Lord of the Rings as a Religion.

We've got people on here who take LoTR pretty seriously. The way it's been referred to on this thread gives me the impression that some of the people who have responded in this thread take it as seriously as most Christians take the Bible.

Well, I think the LoTR series was being used as an example of something that *could* eventually be taken literally someday, just as Christians believe in the Bible literally. But both are fairy tales. (IMO, LoTR is the better written one.)

If I had to pick one book to 'live by' I'd go for 'Legend' by the late David Gemmell... a man I had the honour of knowing for the bulk of my adult life, and has affected my world view in more ways than I can describe... I still miss him. Legend is the book I go to when life smacks me in the mouth.

If I had to pick one book to 'live by' I'd go for 'Legend' by the late David Gemmell... a man I had the honour of knowing for the bulk of my adult life, and has affected my world view in more ways than I can describe... I still miss him. Legend is the book I go to when life smacks me in the mouth.

Haven't read it, but I may have to go to the library and check it out now.

there are numerous things that explain the 'joke' that is Grandpa Harley... that is one of them...

This is a damn good topic for us to bring up. I almost think it should be a seperate thread. I don't see anything right now today as filling that gap, even though I see art possibliy becoming part of it.

If I may insert a minor tangent into a very interesting thread:

This right here was the topic for my senior thesis, when I was in art school. I made the assertion that artists are the new mythmakers and storytellers (the term "artists" including not only fine artists, but designers, filmmakers, comic book artists, theater, dance, writing - any creative medium with a visual or literary element to it). In fact people here helped me out when I first wrote it: I signed up to get some input on what "myth" and "mythology" are, and I ended up quoting Han (with his permission at the time). The research section of my thesis is attached to this post, if anybody feels like taking a look. It's two years old and some of my perspectives have shifted a bit, but a lot of the thoughts remain the same.

If a thread about art and myth opens up I might join in. :)