Goodbye Jesus

Emotions And Lighting

SWIM

You remember my dissmal failure creating a Michelle Branch look alike?

Using the same model, made a LOT of corrections to it. Still, it does NOT look like her. Frustrating. Anyway, I got the comment my figures are expressionless and lifeless looking.

I tried a subtle expression on this render. Also experimented with the lighting.

In this one, she is "welling up" like she is about to cry.

Long way to go I know...

welling_up.jpg

I think she's looking great, Michael. You're improving everyday. How many hours are you putting into this stuff?

I think she's looking great, Michael. You're improving everyday. How many hours are you putting into this stuff?

Way too many lol. But it is a learning process, I expect it to speed up later. I can spend hours and hours on a model. Tweaking the morphs is the most time consuming thing.

The texture looks great. The eye-nose-mouth doesn't line up with the head somehow, like it's tilting to the right.

Is this part of your job or just a hobby?

The texture looks great. The eye-nose-mouth doesn't line up with the head somehow, like it's tilting to the right.

Is this part of your job or just a hobby?

Just a hobby. Small imperfections are actually deliberate. Stock 3D models are stiff. lifeless, and perfect in symetry. It takes hi-res textures, relection maps and bump mats to make them start looking "real". All you need do is surf the galleries at e-frontier or daz3d to quicky see that *very* few 3Ders can achieve photo-realism totally. Many fall very short of the mark, as do I to a certain extent. It's like the holy grail of 3D caracter modeling.

Next year poser is coming out with a pro version 64 bit render engine built in, that will speed things up dramatically. Rendering is the slowest part. It takes about 5 minutes to hi-res 1 1000x1000 png image, that's maxed out for final draft. I turn this down, of course, until I want a serious photo.

Lighting REALLY makes all the difference!

Notice in "Sheila" two of them have custom lighting, the portrait and the far left.

Those I think come really close as passing off as a real person!

sheila.jpg

The muscular changes in a face between expressions are incredibly subtle. One wonders how we are even able to consciously tell the differences. I would suggest enhancing the cheeks and the lines under the eyes just a little to convey that she's about to cry. Also, I'd reduce the light to her nostrils. Looks like she has little people living up there with flashlights.

The muscular changes in a face between expressions are incredibly subtle. One wonders how we are even able to consciously tell the differences. I would suggest enhancing the cheeks and the lines under the eyes just a little to convey that she's about to cry. Also, I'd reduce the light to her nostrils. Looks like she has little people living up there with flashlights.

Yeah the nose problem was lighting. If you notice the last one, "sheila" does not have that problem, in fact lighting has been one of my biggest problems so far.

Also, the expressions on the next image down are a bit more pronounced.