Goodbye Jesus

Quantum Physics

SWIM

The math that I suspect can describe the universe best is found (IMO) in chaos theory. I believe the universe is a very complex chaotic structure, and it looks random and chaotic on the level we exists, but it has this "deep reality" that is given and non-random. We are the essence of the universe and God. We are it. So in the end, we are the observers that create the universe by observing it, but we're also the result or outcome of the universe that is observing itself. In that sense, God exists, but not separate from us - good or evil - all is one. Jesus, Buddha, OM, Hans, my dogs... we're all part of it.
Hello Hans:

I've waited some time before responding to this as the holidays are busy with travels of my own and hosting other travelers.

I agree with you, especially the part highlighted in red. I use the word "GOD" because it reflects my belief that we are the "outcome of the universe that is observing itself". Like you - I believe that "God" is not separate from us, but that we participate in GOD, we are, as it is often said, "co-creators with God".

And - like you - I believe "all is one".

This discussion - around the philosophy of quantum physics - is one that I enjoy. Not that I believe science can "prove" the essence of "deep reality". By it's very nature "deep reality" is beyond the bounds of measurement because it is beyond the bounds of relativity.

And if I were to tip my hat towards any one of the possibilities of deep reality - I would embrace something of them all. In other words, I believe the 8 different mathematical models infer different things about the same underlying "deep reality". If it were possible to "measure" deep reality in a concrete way and then (on a philosophical level) I believe that we would find something of all the inferences. In the end - I leave it at that - and I also marvel how humanity has intuited much of those inferences long before there was something called "science".

As humans (and I am not speaking about religion or philosophy here - I think religion and philosophy and science and the arts come from an internal quest), but as humans I marvel at how we have "sensed" or "known" these things from very early on in our self-awareness. It is as if our self-awareness is also linked to that which is greater than self. As you said, "So in the end, we are the observers that create the universe by observing it, but we're also the result or outcome of the universe that is observing itself."

There is a connectedness to things

Quantum physics seems to imply this

The other thing Quantum physics shows is: The Universe is far stranger than you might believe

But believing a bunch of new age crap about the Universe being conscious or about life after death is taking an ALMIGHTY leap of faith.

Quantum physics only really proves one thing: Reality is far stranger than we might suppose and is bloody weird on the subatomic level

No more, no less.

And - like you - I believe "all is one".

If I may toss in a "religious" but related view.

I do agree that "all is one", however in Zen there is an old saying "not one, not two". One of my favorite little things to ponder.

Not One:

We as sentient beings perceive reality as a group of separate phenomena, you, me, rock, tree, whatever. These separate things are real in the sense that we use our six senses (In Buddhism "Mind" is considered a sense in that mind perceives emotion and thought.) to perceive them.

Not Two:

All phenomena are empty, meaning that they hold no intrinsic reality. Separation is an illusion because the things we consider separate are interconnected through a complex series of actions. This forum for example, everyone who participates here is connected to each other through the act of communication, we are connected to the designer of the software that enables this communication, we are connected to the people who designed the software, who run the ISP's, etc, etc. All "things" are interconnected, interdependent, and inter-penetrated. The mechanism for this interconnectedness is action (in Sanskrit, "karma").

Here is the rub, both the "not one" case and the "not two" case are simultaneously true. So we say confusing things like Samsara and Nirvana are the same.

Some folks have attempted to place the doctrine of emptiness into quantum physics (the Dalai Lama's The Universe in a Single Atom for example). The two views of reality, Buddhism and Quantum Physics appear to be made for each other, but it is probably a case of clever correllations. *shrug*

It may be helpful it may not, but that is what popped into my head when the all is one thing came out. :)

... text ...

It would be good if people understood the primciples, but most don't - even if they're not new age.

Spatz