Goodbye Jesus

Making A Tarot Deck

PandaPirate

I'd like to hear from those of you who practice Wicca or paganism and use tarot decks. Because I'm a freelance writer I am fine tuning some ideas for a deck of my own. I will be writing the companion book while I have a couple of artist friends who I'm going to use for the artwork, depending on who is better.

What deck is NOT out there that you would like to see? What theme? I have a couple of ideas in mind but I'm stuck. I was thinking of trees but there's already a deck with that theme.

I was thinking of trees but there's already a deck with that theme.

It may be out there, but is it a good one? I've seen some non-standard decks based on flowers or plants or something which really don't satisfy me when I use them. But then again, I work with plants professionally so I get really picky when dealing with them. More so than most people, probably.

If a deck deals with plants, I'd like to see a theme that really hangs together and is well-researched (with the research documented *somewhere* in the interpretation booklet). Maybe based on a variety of sacred plants from one specific culture, or one specific ecosystem, or with documented historical/magical associations, or something like that. It seems too disjointed and arbitrary to me when plants seem to be picked willy-nilly from all over the world and thrown together without much rhyme or reason with respect to the symbolism they're attached to on the cards. But of course I usually also end up missing plants that I like from the same areas and which *weren't* chosen for the card system... for whatever reason.

I know you know this already, but if you do base your deck on research, please give credit to the sources you use. I've seen too much in the way of Pagan material out there where this doesn't occur. It really irks me.

Thanks for your input! :D

Thanks for your input! :D

Check your mailbox panda, I have some ideas to kick around about this.