Goodbye Jesus

Christmas

sonyaj68

So, your husband thinks you turn people off??

Nope, that is just the "submissive christian wife" excuse to get out of things. Mention the husband and you know she must do as she is told. I wonder if she checked out that christian discipline website. LOL!

She came here to preach. Christians think that more people's hearts are softened to the message of christ at christmas because of "the message". So she gave it one more go here thinking we might be enchanted with the nativity story around christmas. We aren't and she learned too much that she didn't want to know. I remember when I found out the pagan roots of christmas as a christian. I was shocked and felt really guilty participating in the holiday and confused. It was something I wished I hadn't heard. I liked being naive and joining in with the "jesus is the reason for the season" stuff. Christian apologists usually think, "Oh ex-christians, they don't have any real information, they are just a bunch of malcontents," so they come here expecting that we won't shatter any illusions they have. She'll never be able to go back to singing Silent Night while decorating a tree quite the same ever again.

Gee, thanks... just what I needed... the image of those spanking pantaloons in purple...

LOL

Hey did I ever actaully answer the question? I guess it doesn't matter her Master has spoken she won't be back. Well unless she wants the spanking.... but that's a horse of a different color. My answer would have been the same, basically, as many here. It's not a xian holiday, get over yourself. Wanna see??? NO NOT the purple panites, or the Purple's panties either. :P Xmas, my house, in all it's irreverant glory.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• sonyaj68

• justsomeone

• Ouroboros

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Xmas, my house, in all it's irreverant glory.

That rendition of "The saints come marching in" was painful... :twitch:

Xmas, my house, in all it's irreverant glory.

That rendition of "The saints come marching in" was painful... :twitch:

LOL I know huh! His dad asked him to play it, he said I don't know it, so he and his little sister sat and tried, without any music, to figure out what teh notes to it were. You can hear them talking about it g f c (or whatever)? I don't think so, maybe, play "Ow ow ow" . I have 2 kids at different skill levels playing trumpet in the house, I'm not sure which is worse when they play badly, or when my son one day randomly just started playing taps perfectly. Maybe its jsut me, but to be sitting minding your own buisness and have taps jsut start playing out of the blue is rather disconcerting.

• 2 weeks later...
I swore to myself that I’d never come back to this website again. I went so far as to ask my husband to help me by watching and if he saw me going to this website to remind me to stay away. The reason I wanted to not come back is because I was (still am) so grieved for you and felt helpless. I know better than to try to play “Holy Spirit†- it isn’t up to me to convince you of your need for Christ Christian’s plant the seed, but it is God who gives the increase.

However, after this weekend of all our family Christ-centered Christmas celebrations….and after a comment my husband made on the radio Monday*, it really made me wonder….I’d appreciate any honest reply. I’d like to avoid Christian bashing but if you must bash, at least bash me and not Christ who loves you in spite of your non-belief.

Here are my questions, all to nom-believers/self-professed exChristians - atheists - etc

1. Do you celebrate Christmas with your family?

2/; I you answered yes how can you get around that Christmas is a Christian holiday?

3 If you answered no, how do you handle things in your community, your children’s schools, co-workiers exchanging gits, Christmas cards, parties, etc. And, do your kids feel left out?

*My husbanhd does the morning show on the locale radio station and he was doing “Santa Trekking†using a website that showed he was at the Great Wall of China (I was on the show with him, do that sometimes when I'm off work which I was today) Rick said, “I didn’t know Santa stopped in commie countries I proceeded to remind about the “secret†missionaries who olive there as well as the few Americans who live there ‘’

That silly question made mje wonder if non-Christians celebrate Christmas - and who better to ask?

What in the hell are you doing treking santa? Thought you were supposed to be celebrating the birth of Jesus. It's obvious from your post that you haven't a clue so I'm going to answer your questions and hopefully open your close minded eyes a bit.

1.) No, I celebrate Saturnalia, Winter Festivus, friends, family and good will toward others. I do decorate my home using a pegan theme. Colored Christmas lights, evergreen boughs, a tree (probably much the same way you do, funny how you use pagen decorations).

2.) See #1. Christmas is not the original reason for the season. The Xtians stole it from the pagens. So my question to you is how do you get around celebrating Jesus birth on a day that is actually not his birthday (fact they aren't sure when he was born but they know it wasn't December 25th), when there is no mention of Christians being required to celebrate his birth in the Bible and during period of time that pagens celebrate?

3.) I do give greeting cards. Mine are not religious and are along the lines of good wishes for a new year. I do give presents to those that I care for, from what I understand the pagens did also.

How narrow minded is your world view....there are other religious holidays during the month of December. Question for you...how do you handle the other religious and non religious celebrations that occur in your community with your children...specifically Hanukah and Kwanzaa? Worry about your own kids, don't worry about mine. I've raised my children to respect the rights of others to celebrate whatever they want, however they want and whenever they want. I can assure you my kids have a much better understanding of the diversity of humanity and respect and caring for others then it would appear from your post that your kids do.

I've been chastised for not responding to posts here but then trying to start another one. I think I tried to do it in a "lump" response later, but I apologize that I ignored your questions. I acknowledge that I asked my question (the original ones) with a very narrow view - the view from my family, my church, my town. To me, not celebration Christmas as a celebration of the birth of Christ wasn't making any sense - but your responses helped me realize where I was not thinking. My children aren't around kids who don't at least profess to be Christian - we live in the "Bible Belt" and everyone except a few Jehovah's Witnesses who don't celebrate any holidays celebrates what I would call a traditional Christmas

I’d like to avoid Christian bashing but if you must bash, at least bash me and not Christ who loves you in spite of your non-belief.

Yeah, he *loves* us so much in spite of our non-belief, that he will burn our asses in hell for all eternity for not believing... Wow if that's love I'd hate to see what he would do if he were pissed...

Jesus loves you, but his dad thinks your a shit...

He loves you so much that He sent His son so die for you

As far as my husband referring to China as a “commie†country on the air – yes, he does stuff like that occasionally – no big deal, freedom of speech and all that, you know.

You say in your op not to bash Jesus but to bash you instead and then turn around and defend your husband's on air comments by saying "freedom of speech and all that, you know". Why is it all about you? I mean really what makes you think that you can say anything you want but want to limit what others say? I'm serious, just trying to understand.

You are absolutely right - you have every right to bash Jesus I was just stating that I hoped what I said didn't cause you to bash Him but to bash me instead In reality, Jesus does not need me to take up for Him. He can take care of Himself "Be not deceived, God is not mocked, whatsoever a man seweth, that shall He also reap."

In my particular case I was questioning the fact that she asks us to limit our freedom of speech to not hurt her but defends her husband making comments by using the freedom of speech excuse. All I'm getting out of her post to explain is that she doesn't want it in her home where a limited number of people can hear but it's ok to make comments on air where anyone can hear.

And sweetheart, I just took great offense at the comment you just made. You see I'm one of those animal rights "wackos". While I am not out there with PITA or other types of the more militant groups I do believe that animals have rights. I volunteer in an animal shelter caring for animals that are abused as well as fostering dogs that have been so abused they don't trust humans and any sound made causes them to go into a panic. My own dog is a neurotic mess that may be scarred for life. I've seen first hand the abuse suffered by these animals and can't imagine a "good Christian" treating another of Gods creations that way. Had you said animal rights activists I would not have had a problem but you just had to use the word "wacko" to describe us.

EDIT: I do applaud your trying to limit the speech in your home, however you need to take it a step further and try to get rid of the mentality that drives that speech. It doesn't do any good to not say it if your thoughts are still there.

To clarify once more, I wasn't asking people to not "bash Jesus" to keep from hurting me - I was just asking people not to do so out of respect for Him That's obviously up to the individual if they consider that request or not. Everyone is free to say what they want. Jesus doesn't require that I take up for Him.

Yeah we're animal lovers too. We have rescued quite a few animals from the shelter ourselves We live on a farm so we are fortunate to have lots of room for them to run & play. We have one inside dog who was also rescued and she is a very spoiled Chiwawa. He's referring to the "whacko's" who believe animals are people or who don't check out the facts before makinjg complaints. I have a friend who owns a dairy farm, she ADORES her cows. She names every single cow. Somone from PITA (not the local animal shelter or what have you but freaking PITA) made a complaint againjst her because her cows were "too thin". Dairy Cows ARE thin. Geez. Those people are whacko, sorry.

I don't allow the speech in my home, don't allow anything on television or moves that are played in my home, and don't attend or allow my 12 year old child to attend movies that include racial slurs. If someone says something off color in my presence I ask them kindly to please stop. I can't change everything at once, but I do my best to do things within my scope of influence. That's all I can do. I don't think you understand the culture in which people here are raised.

You indicate this is not an out of character comment for your hubby to make. The time has come to jolt him out of his blinkered ignorance. He needs to know how much his attitude stinks. I suggest next time you pause and then say clearly and firmly into the mic, ''Rick, is that the way you think Jesus would refer to the Chinese? How do you think our Lord feels hearing you speak in this way?" Then pause again, just slightly before saying something like ... " come on listeners, who is with me? Isn't it time we stopped speaking dismissively about people from other nations and cultures? Isn't it time to truly start regarding men and women the world over as worthy of love and respect and stop hiding our predjudices and fears and desire for world domination behind a religion that claims love but is in fact teaching exclusivity and damnation?"

The only way you'd get more of a response is if you scratched all of the above and said instead 'well I don't know about that Rick - but I've got purple panties on'.

Now we're getting at the heart of the matter. Fundy Christian wife can't say that to her husband, much less in public. Perhaps she can talk about her panties but probably not the sermonette about being nice to the Chinese. Maybe Gramps is right when he insists we're in an insane world...

Enough about the panties please. I was making a (granted, feeble) attempt at humor at answering Hans’ question about any New Years Resolutions. Mine was a true story and I thought it was humorous. Apparently it struck some kind of nerve or maybe you all were just looking for something to pick on me with. So judge my purple panties if you must but PLEASE change the subject!!

I am not afraid of my husband - he respects me and I can say what I want to him - on or off the air. He respects my opinion and knows who the smart one is in our family (me) and who the talented one is (him)! (That was another joke. I’m actually talented, too.) We are equals in our relationship and don’t make decisions without checking with the other. He is stronger in some areas and I’m stronger in others.

In my efforts to work on the generational bondage of the sin of racism in our family, attitudes about Communism is not a not a big deal. I choose my battles, and that’s just not one of the priorities

...I do try to be kind to everyone and give everyone respect.

Well, being here, on EX-Christian is neither kind nor respectful... I don't turn up on your accursed rednecked husband's radio show to proselytize my world view... I'd appreciate you extending the same courtesy to my bandwidth...

However, since you're the current fruit cake that won't leave, some advice: Quoting scripture to people who regard it as toilet paper does your case no good at all... you may think in cliché, but please, don't insult our intelligence by assuming that we do too... then we'll all just get along fine.

You should realize by now what kind of a reception that statement is going to get on this site. The guilt trip just doesn't work anymore, don't you realize that?

Even assuming Christ really existed, and in fact he was crucified, he died for himself alone. Even if he "died for me" I didn't ask him to.

I acknowledge that I asked my question (the original ones) with a very narrow view - the view from my family, my church, my town. To me, not celebration Christmas as a celebration of the birth of Christ wasn't making any sense - but your responses helped me realize where I was not thinking.

That's a really big thing to acknowledge Sonya. It is also good to know that our responses helped you see where you are not thinking ...

I hope this experience has opened your eyes to the fact that maybe there are many things you currently belieive that are in fact the result of your narrow view of the world and overly influenced by your particular culture rather than having any universal 'truth' or validity.

I am not afraid of my husband - he respects me and I can say what I want to him - on or off the air. He respects my opinion and knows who the smart one is in our family (me) and who the talented one is (him)! (That was another joke. I’m actually talented, too.) We are equals in our relationship and don’t make decisions without checking with the other. He is stronger in some areas and I’m stronger in others.

In my efforts to work on the generational bondage of the sin of racism in our family, attitudes about Communism is not a not a big deal. I choose my battles, and that’s just not one of the priorities

Sonya, if you just tackle the 'symptoms' - i.e the worst of the overt racism you have inherited from your older generation, you won't resolve the problem - you will just cover it up and it will keep rearing its ugly head ...

You need to get to grips with the cause ... not the symptoms. The cause being a mindset that allows one group of people to be deemed better than the rest. If you deal with this mindset you will find the symptoms go away of their own accord ...

Isn't it time we stopped speaking dismissively about people from other nations and cultures? Isn't it time to truly start regarding men and women the world over as worthy of love and respect and stop hiding our predjudices and fears and desire for world domination behind a religion that claims love but is in fact teaching exclusivity and damnation?

It was 4 hours... average crucifixion lasted 2 days, there are records of people surviving a week on the crucifixion frame and living for some years fater being taken down. you'd think that God incarnate could do better than 4 poxy hours...

I swore to myself that I’d never come back to this website again. I went so far as to ask my husband to help me by watching and if he saw me going to this website to remind me to stay away. The reason I wanted to not come back is because I was (still am) so grieved for you and felt helpless. I know better than to try to play “Holy Spirit†- it isn’t up to me to convince you of your need for Christ Christian’s plant the seed, but it is God who gives the increase.

However, after this weekend of all our family Christ-centered Christmas celebrations….and after a comment my husband made on the radio Monday*, it really made me wonder….I’d appreciate any honest reply. I’d like to avoid Christian bashing but if you must bash, at least bash me and not Christ who loves you in spite of your non-belief.

I think knowledge and learning can be quite addicting and I always give the benefit of the doubt, so I'm assuming you are here to open up your mind and learn about others who differ from you, which is always something I applaud.

1. Do you celebrate Christmas with your family?

Yes, I grew up celebrating Christmas with my family and I'm not even ex-christian =)

I was raised without religion and have never been religious nor superstitious. I don't believe in god, jesus, ghosts, santa claus, elves, flying reindeer or nutcracker princes but I do celebrate christmas.

Really, christmas is about family and a period of rest from school or work. It is one of the longer holiday breaks which every gets off so that we can visit friends and family that we may otherwise not get a chance to see. For some it is about food as well, which is understandable since it gets damn cold sometimes and our bodies crave that extra fat - sometimes you just want some warm cookies instead of the cold salad and fruit!

How do I celebrate christmas? Like many others out here on the west coast, when we were young it would be pretty exciting and fun to buy a christmas tree and decorate it. If you like art as I did you would often pass time crafting new ornaments by hand. Christmas for me was often about craft as well.. as for kids you had an excuse to be creative - building gingerbread houses, making presents for parents, wrapping beautiful gifts, making cookies, making candles or candle holders.. my mom used to keep all the little trinkets and such I used to pump out with my yet inexperienced hands. And who hasn't made popcorn garlands or candy-cane reindeer. These days if I feel up to it, I might take extra branches from the tree and make a lovely wreath for the front door.

But at its heart, for us christmas is visiting and hanging out with your friends, family or kids. A time to go out together, and do a little catching up on life.

Interestingly another way to read your question is "do you celebrate christmas alone"? One theme in movies and stories is the loneliness experienced by those who do not have family or friends to be with during the holidays.

2/; I you answered yes how can you get around that Christmas is a Christian holiday?

Um, you naively assume a lot when you imply that Christmas is "a Christian holiday" but I see in this thread that many have already disabused you of the notion that the christmas holiday is somehow "christian".

Anyhow, being raised without christianity in my life, I have never associated christmas with being a holiday exclusive to christianity. Christians did not "own" Christmas just as Santa Claus does not own christmas.

There are so many different aspects to the christmas holidays than the typical jesus in a manger scene. Where I was raised you would see as many scenes of Christian mythology as you would of Jewish symbols of hannukah (ie. that candelabra thing whose name escapes me at the moment) and Norse mythological gods and creatures.

Basically the religious associations with Christmas (as well as Easter, et al) are a non-issue for many people.

It's ironic though that there are then the Christians who have hang ups with celebrating Christmas - it being too pagan, too commercial or not Christian enough for them.

3 If you answered no, how do you handle things in your community, your children’s schools, co-workiers exchanging gits, Christmas cards, parties, etc. And, do your kids feel left out?

I really find it odd that if one would choose not to celebrate xmas (i'm getting tired of typing it out), that gift exchanges, cards or parties would be an issue. Really, if you choose not to celebrate xmas it would be a symbolic gesture - unless you demanded that you don't get vacation and that you really must work on the 24th/25th because well, you refuse to celebrate xmas. Exchanging gifts, being a part of the community, cards and parties are about getting together and socializing, expressing your feelings for each other (whatever they may be) and creating a sense of community and celebration - it really has nothing to do with religion does it? I'm confused.

In this part of the country, christmas parties, gift giving for the majority is not tied to any religion.

I don't really post on this site very often, I just go about and read the immensely interesting testimonials, life dilemmas and poke through the science section for any new science I may not have heard about yet. You won't find any vitrol towards christians from me and I'm often surprised but understand how the others here may react to you. But then where I live is vastly different from the other parts of this country. I have my own opinions about christians, but every one is different with their own views, backgrounds, and self identity issues, so I'll keep my pointless generalizations to myself =)

I am fascinated with stories of exchristians, exmulsims, exmormons, exscientologists and ex-anything really.

*My husbanhd does the morning show on the locale radio station and he was doing “Santa Trekking†using a website that showed he was at the Great Wall of China (I was on the show with him, do that sometimes when I'm off work which I was today) Rick said, “I didn’t know Santa stopped in commie countries I proceeded to remind about the “secret†missionaries who olive there as well as the few Americans who live there ‘’

Okay, I'll admit I was more stupefied than offended by the "commie" comment by your husband. I mean come on, I thought we had progressed to the 21st century here. "Commie" is so last century - a type of derogatory label that would be thrown around during the McCarthy era when you might want to insinuate that a person was not being "patriotic" or "american" by calling them a "commie". How often when reading literature or publications from that time would you see that phrase "damn Russian commies" being thrown around?

I may be of chinese decent, but I don't really associate with China or even Taiwan. It was the longest time before I knew what "chink" meant and then learned the history behind the term and how it came to use. Similar to the term "Jap", if you don't know or understand the history behind of how the terms were used to generalize, marginalize and turn another human being into "the faceless enemy" then you probably would not understand how someone else may be offended by it. In the US, words like "nigger" and the history and racism behind it - well, we all know what it means to the people it is used to label.

So unfortunately, using a term like "commie" only betrays extreme ignorance and intolerance towards others. The same way you would probably find me ignorant if I continuously referred to you as a "redneck hick" upon learning where you are located. Would I seem more respectful of who you are if I called you a "Texan" or a "redneck"? For all I know it may not matter to you =)

You may also be enlightened to learn that in actuality, Christmas is a pretty big holiday in Japan - but with out the religious trappings. Religious songs, hymns and carols may be sung but without all the religious baggage (Japan is primarily Buddhism and Shintoism. Christmas in Japan is about Cakes and Romance.

Taiwan is another country in which the celebration of the christmas holiday is growing. It used to be that no one got time off during Christmas there, as New years was the big holiday break (virtually everything shuts down for 2 weeks). But these days more and more companies give time off and so the companies and people have been adopting the secular traditions of christmas from the US.

And did you know that the citizens of China actually celebrate Christmas? Not only in Hong Kong where you will see christmas lights, hear xmas carols (sung in English no less), see Santa Clauses and observe people giving gifts.. but in Beijing (the capital of China ...) no less. And guess what? Churches in Beijing hold mass on Christmas as well. :grin:

In fact several churches there do. Perhaps you might even find a few of the "secret missionaries" hiding behind the pews as well hehe.

Really, China today is currently modernizing at a very fast rate. I somehow doubt that you or your husband have ever been there, but you should really visit one day if you get the chance. They have some amazing history and archaeological finds. Anyway, China has been one of the best places to invest your money in the past year, and that is what has been really scaring the US and seems to have once again reared the ugly "us against them" mentality. China and India are both growing forces in the world economy, while the US position has been slowly slipping. So yeah, I can sort of see where this "commie" comment comes from.

I definitely do not agree with the policies of the Chinese government, and the rampant corruption sure makes a mess of things for their people (just look up stories about the spread of AIDS via corrupt officials paying poor villagers for blood donation), but seriously I think the China in your mind is not the same as the China of today. And your statements really, only make yourself look.. well, not-so-well informed.

Also keep in mind that China is a huge country and consists of many different regions and peoples.

People in China practice many religions as well, Buddhism, Confucianism (not really a religion) Toaism, Islam and Catholocism/Christianity. Ethnicities range from Han Chinese to Mongolian to Indonesian. To the west there are cities where the culture is more arabic than traditional "chinese" - even their money has arabic on it.

Anyway, I hope that helps you on your quest for knowledge - at least I'm hoping you're looking for knowledge. Really, there is more to the world and life than christianity :wicked:

But actually, I have a question for you then, how does your family celebrate Christmas?

And, did you know: Christmas was banned in Boston by the legislature of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1659?

"For preventing disorders, arising in several places within this jurisdiction by reason of some still observing such festivals as were superstitiously kept in other communities, to the great dishonor of God and offense of others: it is therefore ordered by this court and the authority thereof that whosoever shall be found observing any such day as Christmas or the like, either by forbearing of labor, feasting, or any other way, upon any such account as aforesaid, every such person so offending shall pay for every such offence five shilling as a fine to the county."

The ban was not lifted until 1681.

For 22 years, Christmas was illegal :lmao:

.god,

the whole of your post post was crammed full with interesting information and excellent points, I just highlighted a couple of comments, mainly for Sonya.

Okay, I'll admit I was more stupefied than offended by the "commie" comment by your husband. I mean come on, I thought we had progressed to the 21st century here. "Commie" is so last century - a type of derogatory label that would be thrown around during the McCarthy era when you might want to insinuate that a person was not being "patriotic" or "american" by calling them a "commie". How often when reading literature or publications from that time would you see that phrase "damn Russian commies" being thrown around?

I may be of chinese decent, but I don't really associate with China or even Taiwan. It was the longest time before I knew what "chink" meant and then learned the history behind the term and how it came to use. Similar to the term "Jap", if you don't know or understand the history behind of how the terms were used to generalize, marginalize and turn another human being into "the faceless enemy" then you probably would not understand how someone else may be offended by it. In the US, words like "nigger" and the history and racism behind it - well, we all know what it means to the people it is used to label.

So unfortunately, using a term like "commie" only betrays extreme ignorance and intolerance towards others. The same way you would probably find me ignorant if I continuously referred to you as a "redneck hick" upon learning where you are located. Would I seem more respectful of who you are if I called you a "Texan" or a "redneck"? For all I know it may not matter to you =)

You may also be enlightened to learn that in actuality, Christmas is a pretty big holiday in Japan - but with out the religious trappings. Religious songs, hymns and carols may be sung but without all the religious baggage (Japan is primarily Buddhism and Shintoism. Christmas in Japan is about Cakes and Romance.

Taiwan is another country in which the celebration of the christmas holiday is growing. It used to be that no one got time off during Christmas there, as New years was the big holiday break (virtually everything shuts down for 2 weeks). But these days more and more companies give time off and so the companies and people have been adopting the secular traditions of christmas from the US.

And did you know that the citizens of China actually celebrate Christmas? Not only in Hong Kong where you will see christmas lights, hear xmas carols (sung in English no less), see Santa Clauses and observe people giving gifts.. but in Beijing (the capital of China ...) no less. And guess what? Churches in Beijing hold mass on Christmas as well. :grin:

In fact several churches there do. Perhaps you might even find a few of the "secret missionaries" hiding behind the pews as well hehe.

I think Redneck hick covers it nicely...

...I do try to be kind to everyone and give everyone respect.

Well, being here, on EX-Christian is neither kind nor respectful... I don't turn up on your accursed rednecked husband's radio show to proselytize my world view... I'd appreciate you extending the same courtesy to my bandwidth...

However, since you're the current fruit cake that won't leave, some advice: Quoting scripture to people who regard it as toilet paper does your case no good at all... you may think in cliché, but please, don't insult our intelligence by assuming that we do too... then we'll all just get along fine.

That's a deal about quoting scripture...you wouldn't be able to tune in to the radio station anyway since we live in the sticks...and I'll gladly go away and stay away if that's what you would like....

You should realize by now what kind of a reception that statement is going to get on this site. The guilt trip just doesn't work anymore, don't you realize that?

Even assuming Christ really existed, and in fact he was crucified, he died for himself alone. Even if he "died for me" I didn't ask him to.

My statement was in response to someone who was spewing hate at God - taken in context that was the only response I can give - and I won't apologize for it.

but don't expect respect... you bible spouting fruit cake... as to making an aplogy... you should apologise for your existance, your husban, any children you raise... you monster.

However, since repentance for your venom is unlikely... lets just have you reconcile John 3:18 with John 3:16

I acknowledge that I asked my question (the original ones) with a very narrow view - the view from my family, my church, my town. To me, not celebration Christmas as a celebration of the birth of Christ wasn't making any sense - but your responses helped me realize where I was not thinking.

That's a really big thing to acknowledge Sonya. It is also good to know that our responses helped you see where you are not thinking ...

I hope this experience has opened your eyes to the fact that maybe there are many things you currently belieive that are in fact the result of your narrow view of the world and overly influenced by your particular culture rather than having any universal 'truth' or validity.

Sonya, if you just tackle the 'symptoms' - i.e the worst of the overt racism you have inherited from your older generation, you won't resolve the problem - you will just cover it up and it will keep rearing its ugly head ...

You need to get to grips with the cause ... not the symptoms. The cause being a mindset that allows one group of people to be deemed better than the rest. If you deal with this mindset you will find the symptoms go away of their own accord ...

Isn't it time we stopped speaking dismissively about people from other nations and cultures? Isn't it time to truly start regarding men and women the world over as worthy of love and respect and stop hiding our predjudices and fears and desire for world domination behind a religion that claims love but is in fact teaching exclusivity and damnation?

I do agree with you. I think my point was the bigger issue in my world is racism. That is a real problem that I'm faced with every single day. I believe I can say with sincerity that I am not a racist, but that I have tolerated racist attitudes, words, actions, etc. etc. and have made a strong stand against it in my home and in my world. I believe that the cause of racism - ignorance, hate, etc. - is the problem, and the symptoms will go away when the cause goes away. I agree that it is as wrong to hate someone because they are...say...a communist, or a muslim, or for any other reason...that is just as wrong as hating someone because they are of another race than me. What I was getting at is that those are not things I deal with on a daily basis. But I do agree with you whole-heartedly and feel that it is up to all of us to start now, first with ourselves and then with our children and with our scope of influence, and then through things bigger than ourselves, to CHANGE. If I ever think that I have it all figure out then I am certainly ignorant and there is no chance for growth and certainly a dim prospect for future generations.

Sonya,

Please explain why killing the finite meat form of an eternal diety that existed before and would exist after for eternity in heaven, is much of a "sacrifice". Even if you talk about the pain he endured, compared to eternity and being a diety with an eternal perspective, what is one day of pain and a few days "dead" really much of a sacrifice? How does one day of pain and a few days dead pay for billions of eternities in hell that are required payment by finite humans without an eternal perspective?

Why do you need me to explain it - you've heard it, understood it, accepted it and rejected it, so what difference would my explanation make to you?

Sonya,

Please explain why killing the finite meat form of an eternal diety that existed before and would exist after for eternity in heaven, is much of a "sacrifice". Even if you talk about the pain he endured, compared to eternity and being a diety with an eternal perspective, what is one day of pain and a few days "dead" really much of a sacrifice? How does one day of pain and a few days dead pay for billions of eternities in hell that are required payment by finite humans without an eternal perspective?

Why do you need me to explain it - you've heard it, understood it, accepted it and rejected it, so what difference would my explanation make to you?

apologize for double post...

Damnation is smaller than racism or being married to a redneck? hmmm....

Sonya,

SQUIRM YOU PROSLEYTSING NON-ENTITY!!!! yesssss....

TRans - I can't explain, but I am only a little Texan housewife, y'all...

Forlorn hope... she was leuchotomised by faith a long time ago...