Goodbye Jesus

Dinner With Alvin Plantinga At Hacienda.

Telesmith

So I live in South Bend Indiana and my wife and I just got back from eating a late dinner at Hacienda. There we were chating it up like we always do and the subject came up about when exactly we just knew that Christianity was bogus. We both answered and went back in fourth for a little while on this topic, offering our own personal indictments. And, just as that part of our conversation was ending, the two people at the table behind me get up and leave. Lo and behold, it was Alvin Fucking Plantinga. I immediately starting laughing my ass off and my wife was wondering what was so funny. It took me about half a minute to explain to her who that was that just sat next to us and then another couple of minutes to brief her on Plantinga’s reformed foundationalist epistemology and why that made our conversation oh so hilarious. It would have hardly been better if William Lane Craig sat down next to us.

I may not have a properly basic belief in God but I sure do have one in Plantinga.

Made my night; just made my night!!!

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I participated in a religious program at Notre Dame in 1999 with Alvin Plantinga. I went with him to his church (South Bend CRC) and went frisbee golfing with him. He is actually a really nice guy. I don't think that he is nearly as obnoxious as I imagine most Christian apologists would be. He is more of an analytical philosopher rather than one of these jokers who tries to explain away the Canaanite genocide. Later, he was leading the "Spiritual Retreat" back in Africa where my parents are missionaries. (His daughter works with my parents.) My parents hosted him for dinner, but he said he didn't recall who I was. :HappyCry: . . . :lmao:

Yeah. I've gone to his church once or twice and heard him lecture a few times and he seems like a pretty decent guy. I even gave him a hard time at one of his talks on his evolutionary argument against naturalism and he put up with me kindly. It sure was funny seeing him at dinner, considering the conversation we were having though.

So I live in South Bend Indiana and my wife and I just got back from eating a late dinner at Hacienda.

Wow, another ex-Christian from my neck of the Indiana woods! Maybe there's hope for this rust-belt town yet.

I admit I don't even know who Alvin Plantinga is. I didn't run with the Christian Reformed crowd.

Hacienda... :yum: