Goodbye Jesus

New Here

FedUp

Well, hello everyone. Just registerred so I am brand spanking new. I would say that I wouldn't know where to start as far as my Christian believing background, but I think it would be more accurate to say I wouldn't know where to end talking about it. I feel like I have wasted a whole lot of my life and when I think about it makes me angry. I kind of feel like I need to be deprogrammed because I still react in old ways to things and that causes some real internal angst with me. I have heard it all from others I know who still believe but who like most all of them don't do a thing but claim things while they live no differently than anyone else. "Oh, you're just bitter at life" "You're overrun by demons" and on and on. I truly have come to dislike these people. What I would like to know/hear from others is just how one comes to deprogram themselves from years of this stuff? The belief, the fears, the guilts, the absorption of Bible scripture over such a long time(?) I will say this, while I do not see Christians converting people by the sword like these Muslims do(and is orderred by their Koran), I still find most Christians I have known to be some of the worst SOBs I have ever had the mispleasure of dealing with in my entire life. Sorry if that is too blunt for anyone here, but that is the way I feel. My terrible experiences with Chrstians(-anity) is not the only or even really the chief thing that has turned me off of it. It has been once I truly began reading the Bible with no blocks to seeing the absolutely numerous contradictions even from this Jesus himself. One minute its this, next its that. That and my learning about the Roman church being the ones who actually decided to leave out many other writings just because they said so. That and learning of other stories from other religions, even older than Christianity that are near virtual copies of the story of Jesus. What to make of it all. I will say this, I don't debate much about the historocity of Jesus, I'm sure he may have existed, I also believe it or not am not certain that there is no god, but for me it is rather a matter of not at all liking the 'god(s)' I know about. There are things written in the Bible that surely do seem to be unfolding in the world in terms of its prophecies, but there again, there are also other religions and writings speaking on the same exact things. For me it came down to a realization that I could not believe that any eternal paradise or damnation could rest on such flimsy documentation of someones words when even those in charge of administering it were even long ago back when it was fresh, already debating the meanings of things, as well as (as I have since learned) actually CHANGED some of the writings. For me it is a two fold issue, #1 above all I am trying to work this boat anchor out of my life and routine and #2 I would like to learn more about the historical record and writings of others who it was decided not to include in the Bible. I find that part still very interesting and have read some real eye openers. Thanks all.

...btw, not sure that qualifies as a 'testimony', but like I said, I could go on forever with a detailed 'testimony' lol.

Welcome Fedup,

Hope to see more from you, and you'll find there's a lot of friends here with similar experience as you.

Hi FedUp-

Welcome! This is a good place to start. There are a lot of people who have used this site to learn that there are ways of deprogramming yourself. It takes time, I would guess that the longer you were involved, the longer it takes to shut out the noise of the B.S. you learned. That's how is has been for me. I decided to live and let live, I have pretty much gotten over my initial anger at having wasted so many years. It has been wonderful to be able to be imperfect without fear. There's a concept.

I left christianity about 15 years ago and was floundering for a long time. I discovered this site which has helped me tremendously to finally shake off the last of the 'demons'. Some people get more involved than others. I tend to stay in the background and read what's going on. Once in a while I'll post. But I think it was about 2002 or so when I first discovered Ex-C.

What I would like to know/hear from others is just how one comes to deprogram themselves from years of this stuff?

Short answer is do whatever is necessary to free yourself. It took me many years of study and removing myself from Church/Christian radio, and studying books both Christian and learing about other religions. I found that moving away and putting some significant geographic distance between myself and my highly religious parents helped. Then I realized truly how oppressive christianity is.

Welcome to Ex-C Fedup. I wish you well in your efforts to disentangle yourself from this brainwashing called Christianity. We are all here for you.

Hi, FedUp! It's nice to see another newb around here, lol. How long have you been a non-believer? Me, I've only been oen for about a year and a half now. hai! :wave:

It's been about 2 years Vendredie. Still struggling with many times, nearly debillitating anger and resentment. These 'beliefs' we have been inculcated with, in many cases, for lifetimes, are oppressive and do real damage to a person. I can't stand for that any longer in my life. I was a much happier and even much more loving person during the period from around late teens to late 20s when I rarely went to church and certainly didn't stick to that stuff.

I still find most Christians I have known to be some of the worst SOBs I have ever had the mispleasure of dealing with in my entire life.

Unfortunately you aren't the only one to have this experience.

Welcome!

Hei, FedUp! Welcome to the forums.

I've found that this is an excellent place to work through religion-related anger. We've got your back... Rant away!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, all..

I am new here, as I just registered today.

I was raised in a family of "strict" Southern Baptists. Some of my family members on both sides have been preachers, sunday school teachers, etc. My wife and I joined my family's church two years ago and my wife has been re-baptized. I recently told her that I am now an agnostic, leaning toward athiest.

I have not yet told my family, as they are the type that completely believes that the bible is inerrant, and that whenever they sense someone is "backsliding", they interfere. They have told me several times that my 6-year-old daughter "NEEDS to be in church". My family believes that god answers prayers and that he is loving and forgiving - unless of course, you are gay, support the death penalty, or are not a christian.

I have ALWAYS been skeptical of a grandfatherly ghost that lives in the clouds, listens to prayers and counts the hairs on your head, but the jesus story has always been full of holes to me. None of the gospels match each other, andif you study the actual history of the times, it becomes apparent that jesus was created as a "competition" for the jews and to scare people into control.

The "beginning of the end" came to me as my church scheduled a series of "messages" related to The Da Vinci Code. Our pastor brought in "experts" to dispute the so-called "facts". They made themselves sound like idiots! They followed that up with a "world religion" series, taking a different faith each week, describing what they believe and pointing out where they are "wrong". It concluded with advice on how to witness to people about jesus and to "get them right with god". I thought, "This is a bunch of bible-thumping crap!" Do these people think that god/jesus is white and protestant?

Do they really think that people were made "in god's image"? If so, then why weren't humans the first species on the planet? Why is jesus a man when science has proven that every human starts life in the womb as a female (male genes kick in after a few weeks)?

To me, everyone has the right to believe what they want. I am not going to disrespect others by forcing my beliefs on them, as I do not want theirs forced on me.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum, and I look forward to "meeting" all of you! :)