Goodbye Jesus

Coping With Anxiety

Max

I wrestle with anxiety a lot, which I think has its roots in my xtian training, but at this point in my life, it's time to just get over it. Easier said than done, of course. These days, the problem is mostly related to my stressful job, though maybe some of it is just part of my personality. I've tried counseling - my therapist told me I had generalized anxiety disorder, but didn't really come up with anything that helped be get over it. I've tried medications, which work, but aren't a good long-term solution. I get plenty of exercise, and get outdoors whenever I can. Overall, my life is stable, my marriage is good, I'm generally successful... I just can't get over the notion that everything is about to come crashing down around me. I can't seem to ever relax and exist in the moment. There is a constant narraration that goes on in a corner of my mind.

I was thinking of taking a class on meditation from a nearby yoga center. The description of what meditation is - being in the moment, focusing - sounds like what I need to do. Has anyone else tried this? Is it something that can really be learned?

I get mild anxiety, but I've never tried out-right meditation. I found out early on that my stress release was knitting; and have since not been seen without needles in my hand in many moons.

I definitely think it can be learned, if one has a good teacher and the proper amount of discipline - as well as the desire to just let everything go.

If it does work for you, I say go for it! If not, maybe try a pair of size 11s and some nice, soft, chunky yarn?

I got a lot of help from a progam I bought from the Anxiety Busters website. It enabled me to know there was nothing mental illness wise wrong with me - anxiety is a pattern of learned behaviours/how we view the world and these can be unlearned!

I am living proof - I was on meds (which I don't encourage - side effects, poop out requiring more meds and BRUTAL to get off for some of us). With these facts in hand I managed to get off the meds and break the cycle of anxiety and retrain my thought patterns to a degree. Anxiety is not fun to live with - google that website. They have a forum there too which really helped me - I think you have to register to read it. They talk about diet and other aspects too.

Hope this helps :)

I got a lot of help from a progam I bought from the Anxiety Busters website.

Thanks for the info. The site looks interesting. I've thought for a while that there is a lot of habit involved, but haven't been able to figure out how to break it.

I can relate Max. Also relate to the part you mentioned about that 'narrative' going on in a corner of your mind. I myself play drums, and the way I play, it's as good as working out lol. Partying occasionally doesn't hurt either heheh. Which I did and then some on New Years. Hi-Ho! Personally, whenever that 'narrative' or the other nagging 'inner voices' encroach, I have been telling it to just fuck off. May sound crazy, but it has made me feel stronger. Now I need to go and find a very freaky and wild woman to mate with, and that will be the icing on the cake! LOL,.

I know this may sound a bit old fasioned...but you may try getting a hobby.

Actually, I have plenty of hobbies and way too much to do. It's how to shut down that's the problem. You can't run all the time.

I have moderate anxiety from time to time. I use herbal supplements and aromatherapy to deal with it. I personally don't like the idea of drugging myself, and can't afford to anyway, I have crappy insurance. I only take medications when absolutely necessary. Another thing that helps is journaling and just writing out thoughts. Soothing music also helps.

The description of what meditation is - being in the moment, focusing - sounds like what I need to do. Has anyone else tried this? Is it something that can really be learned?

I have only just begun to try mindfullness or meditation. I don't really experience anxiety but I sometimes wrestle with anger. And the meditation has helped me regain some control over my own thoughts and emotions. I see now that it is possible to direct your own awareness and focus. It is not necessary to dwell on, and have our awareness stolen by, those things that cause us anxiety or anger or any other negative emotion.

It is something you can learn. However after meditating over many years it does NOT have all the positives that are so often attributed to it. It is calming and does help you to focus your attention.

Well, I have to say that Prozac is my friend. I have an anxiety disorder and Prozac is the only thing we have found so far that works for me. This time last year I was in a major depression. Boy, what a difference a year makes! I will say that it is totally up to you. Try visiting a psychiatrist and see what they recommend. If you really don't want to use medication at this point, they can suggest alternatives. Normally medication is the last thing that is tried.

oops, I just now figured out you wrote "MediTATION" not "MediCATION." Oh well, I'll finish my reply anyway! Ever since I was a kid (nine years old) I've dealt with major depression despite having a stable, loving home environment. My Christian beliefs did not help, I think that actually made my anxiety a lot worse. Finally, during my first year at college, I decided I wanted to try medication. I was tired of the emotional rollercoaster that could take me from happy to suicidal within one day.

So, my doctor prescribed Zoloft and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. The change was like night and day. I have also done Yoga for exercise and found it incredibly relaxing and mind-clearing. All is right with the world after I do yoga.

Also there's a website called anxietyculture.com that's funny and really helps me de-stress. Blogging also helps me destress. I use Xanga.

That's all the advice I have. Good luck!!

I go for walks, I play Guitar Hero, I read books.

Guest WarrantedPVC

This might be very stupid/too simple and I don't know if this applies to you at all, but I get strong feelings of irrational anxiety and discomfort when I drink too much caffeine. I didn't realize what a huge difference it made to my peace of mind until I stopped drinking coffee for a few days! (And I didn't really drink a lot...) Soft drinks, energy drinks, cold medicines, chocolate, even herbal supplements with guarana, are also often caffeine-saturated so it's really easy to "overdose" on it, especially if you're sensitive. If you drink any caffeinated drinks, try having water, fruit juice, decaf coffee or a herbal infusion tea instead just for a few days, and see if it helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Caffeine_intoxication[/url] ']In some individuals, the large amounts of caffeine can induce anxiety severe enough to necessitate clinical attention. This caffeine-induced anxiety disorder can take many forms, from generalized anxiety to panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, or even phobic symptoms. Because this condition can mimic organic mental disorders, such as panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, or even schizophrenia, a number of medical professionals believe caffeine-intoxicated people are routinely misdiagnosed and unnecessarily medicated when the treatment for caffeine-induced psychosis would simply be to withhold further caffeine. A study in the British Journal of Addiction concluded that caffeinism, although infrequently diagnosed, may afflict as many as one person in ten of the population.

Of course that might not have anything at all to do with what you have so be sure to seek help from a health professional anyway... was just an idea.

Good luck and keep us posted,

PVC

I wrestle with anxiety a lot, which I think has its roots in my xtian training, but at this point in my life, it's time to just get over it. Easier said than done, of course. These days, the problem is mostly related to my stressful job, though maybe some of it is just part of my personality. I've tried counseling - my therapist told me I had generalized anxiety disorder, but didn't really come up with anything that helped be get over it. I've tried medications, which work, but aren't a good long-term solution. I get plenty of exercise, and get outdoors whenever I can. Overall, my life is stable, my marriage is good, I'm generally successful... I just can't get over the notion that everything is about to come crashing down around me. I can't seem to ever relax and exist in the moment. There is a constant narraration that goes on in a corner of my mind.

I was thinking of taking a class on meditation from a nearby yoga center. The description of what meditation is - being in the moment, focusing - sounds like what I need to do. Has anyone else tried this? Is it something that can really be learned?

I hear you. For years I've struggled with depression and related mood disorders, and frequently get caught up in "racing mind syndrome". I don't have any experience with Yoga, but recently started delving into mindfulness. There's an audio disc set titled "Mindfulness for Beginners" by Jon Kabat-Zinn that I've found to be helpful. It's meditation practice, minus the mysticism. Good luck!

I go for walks, I play Guitar Hero, I read books.

LOL guitar hero, never tried it, I play guitar for real and I heard that it HURTS your ability... Don't know why, I think maybe it's because you are training your fingers to your ears wrong I guess.

Just made me laugh (not laughing AT you) because of the southpark episode of guitar hero.

Did you ever get to the end? Curious because on southpark at the end it tells you "you suck" lol. What does it really say at the end?

Anyway, music is a GREAT way to cope with anxiety. When I feel like I need an escape I pull out the guitar and let er fly, great way to take your mind off of things.