Goodbye Jesus

God Bless America?!?!

2Bornot2B

I was at the Sugar Bowl on New Years night and something happened that caused me to think about things a little. During the pre-game festivities, there was a mass band made up of high school students from around the country. The first thing that they played was the song "God Bless America." Now it is weird, but before they played the song, the announcer asks for everyone to sing along while they play this song. When they begin playing, everyone begins standing up like it is the national anthem. I stood, of course, to keep from having a scene and this caused me to look upon this event from a different perspective. As a Xtian, this was always an ok thing to hear, sing, and participate in. Now that I am an agnostic, it kind of rubbed me a little to feel like I had to participate in asking "god," if he exists, to bless America. Kind of like bless America and screw everyone else.

What do you think?

What I think, 2bornot2b, is that this is simply the effect of the mob mentality.

I have felt the same thing in my youth at times, and through years of living. It's the pull toward the oneness, the communality of those we are gathered together with, toward a common goal, even if that goal be undefined. And it can be powerful. IMO, no harm done as long as you recognize it for what it is. If you can remain positive overall, and go with the flow of life amid such aberrations, you can be okay. Understand that in the turbulence of the human existance, things can get weird...if you can retain serenity in such times, you are a jump ahead of the crowd.

That is wisdom, IMO...

I get what you mean...I feel the same thing about our motto, "In God We Trust." As an atheist...I don't trust in him. And I don't see why my government has to tell me that I do.

I get what you mean...I feel the same thing about our motto, "In God We Trust." As an atheist...I don't trust in him. And I don't see why my government has to tell me that I do.

You can get a little stamp that exes out that motto and replaces it with "E Pluribus Unum" or "No Gods, No Masters". It's great fun to imagine the faces of those who notice the alterations as the bills move along. It's one of the ways I fight back. I also remain firmly seated when asked to stand for a prayer or the Pledge. At football games this may occasionally lead to unpleasant confrontations when someone takes it upon himself to enforce piety and patriotism.

"God bless America"... currently it doesn't seem like it's working...

"God bless America"... currently it doesn't seem like it's working...

Actually this was an occupied nation when we "found" it. I believe american indians were here first. What happened was we found a land, worthy of settling, and whoops... someone else was here? hmmm they don't have guns, we do, so lets just take it for ourselves. Then we can stick the locals on a reservation and be done with them.

Now "god" is gonna bless this country? I wonder how many american indians "appreciated" all the new invaders and their indian wars?

You know, it's kinda like me seeing my neighbors property and saying "hey" I like this place, how bout I stick you in the wood shed and claim your house? MY guns are bigger, so I win, get out in the shed! Now I go and put a sign up that says "god bless my new house"!...

Oh well...

Maybe they had a printing error? It was supposed to be "Gun bless America". :)

It was supposed to be "Gun bless America". :)

Too damn true. Whatever the status, be it secular or religious, this land was conquered. Of course, to be fair, humans have been stealing and killing other humans since we became fully evolved...

:HappyCry:

I just walked into oxymoron territory.