Goodbye Jesus

God And Cuss Words

Neon Genesis

Reading Kratos' posts in the Message For Christians thread made me think about how Christians claim that cuss words are a sin to speak. But according to the bible, language was created by God, so if there are some words that are evil to speak, and God created those words that are evil, then doesn't that mean that the Christian God created something evil?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Kuroikaze

• GraphicsGuy

• Brother Jeff

Crap head just objects when they're aimed at him and his imaginary friend... the more disgusting thing is that he demands respect, which is an affront...

God creates Lucifer. Lucifer rebels. Lucifer becomes Satan who is basically evil incarnate. Satan turns God's perfect creation into a shithole for sin.

And God knew all this would happen in the first place since he's supposedly omniscient.

Where did evil (cuss words and all the bad stuff) come from? Do the math.

God creates Lucifer. Lucifer rebels. Lucifer becomes Satan who is basically evil incarnate. Satan turns God's perfect creation into a shithole for sin.

And God knew all this would happen in the first place since he's supposedly omniscient.

Where did evil (cuss words and all the bad stuff) come from? Do the math.

Yep, shit that pisses the Holy Farter off happened where He forbid it to happen, and the Talking Snake was born. I wonder if he was the first being to say, "Goddammit"?

It is annoying that Kratos has been posting for a matter of months. He knew very well the sort of language is used here and of reception he would receive. Yet we suddenly get all this righteous "show respect" "don't use cuss words" crap from him. What did he expect? How stupid can he be?

The only thing more irritating than that is his attitude toward women and gays.

Graphics Guy--thinking people know that only God, the omnipotent and omiscient, is responsible for sin. In fact he is the author of sin. I challenge any christian to prove it differently. God is their origin for everything. Everything includes sin.

Is God the soverign ruler of his creation or isn't he?

Of course there is no such thing as sin and Bible God, but let's pretend.

It is annoying that Kratos has been posting for a matter of months. He knew very well the sort of language is used here and of reception he would receive. Yet we suddenly get all this righteous "show respect" "don't use cuss words" crap from him. What did he expect? How stupid can he be?

Graphics Guy--thinking people know that only God, the omnipotent and omiscient, is responsible for sin. In fact he is the author of sin. I challenge any christian to prove it differently. God is their origin for everything. Everything includes sin.

Of course there is no such thing as sin, but let's pretend.

The Holy Farter knew that Adam & Eve would eat the magic fruit from the magic tree that He had ordered them not to fuck with and start doing shit that pissed Him off, but that doesn't mean that doing shit that pisses the Holy Farter off originated with Him, unless He originally did some shit that pissed Himself off.

I guess it's possible that Kryasst or the Spook of Kryasst who is also somehow magically Him did some shit that pissed the Holy Farter off, but since they are all somehow magically Each Other, wouldn't it still be the Holy Farter pissing Himself off?

[The Holy Farter knew that Adam & Eve would eat the magic fruit from the magic tree that He had ordered them not to fuck with and start doing shit that pissed Him off, but that doesn't mean that doing shit that pisses the Holy Farter off originated with Him, unless He originally did some shit that pissed Himself off.

Where did the impulse come from to piss off the Holy Farter? Hey, maybe he did originally do some shit that pissed Himself off. :lmao: Maybe he has a split personality.

[The Holy Farter knew that Adam & Eve would eat the magic fruit from the magic tree that He had ordered them not to fuck with and start doing shit that pissed Him off, but that doesn't mean that doing shit that pisses the Holy Farter off originated with Him, unless He originally did some shit that pissed Himself off.

Where did the impulse come from to piss off the Holy Farter? Hey, maybe he did originally do some shit that pissed Himself off. :lmao: Maybe he has a split personality.

Yeah, split three ways, which would account for Kryasst and the Spook of Kryasst who is also somehow magically Him! Glory!

Yeah, split three ways, which would account for Kryasst and the Spook of Kryasst who is also somehow magically Him! Glory!

Yeah, that's the explanation -- three Persons who all have different personalities! No wonder God is the author of sin -- one person pulled something over on the others (yet somehow they are magically one). Thanks for the insight Brother Jeff!

Kratos will blow away with the chaff when the wheat is winnowed at the Great Judgment.

In case winnowing is an unfamiliar activity for some, here's one way of doing it. The chaff is the light leafy protective sheath that grows over the outside of the wheat kernal. As the kernal ripens, the chaff grows thinner, like grass or leaves on a tree when they die. When the wheat is harvested, the chaff is harvested along with the kernals. For good flour, the chaff and kernals need to be separated.

A good solid kernal of wheat is much heavier than the chaff. So if you take two bowls and go where there's a draft you can pour the grain slowly from one bowl to the other and let the draft blow the chaff away. Modern machinery does that automatically when harvesting the wheat, but in NT times, it was a separate operation. I don't think they used bowls; that was just our homemade way of doing things for small portions of grain. Most of the time it was for soybeans that I used that method.

I think the NT uses winnowing as an allegory for the Great Judgment. I think Kratos is such an airhead that he'll just blow away in the Great Winnowing.

I hope Kratos responds to my poll in the Colleseum that is for Christians only.

If respect is used on all sides, and IF the Christians respond, it should be an opportunity for honest conversation between Christians and nonreligious people.

Lets talk about "cuss words" for a moment.

If you hit your finger with a hammer trying to nail something, do you say "oh shit" or "oh poop"?

OK, first, the two words mean the same thing. Secondly, neither word is used correctly. There is no defecation anywhere to be found in the situation. It is an "expletive" or simply "a phrase to vent surprise and pain". It is *never* meant literally.

If you change all the curse words, to "soft" words and use them the exact same way, they mean THE EXACT SAME THING. In logic, "oh poopy feathers" should *mean* exactly the same as "oh bird shit!". It means the same in the context.

We use words to express degrees of feeling. Oh shoot, or oh shit compared to holy fucking shit! to blessed fornicating crap! One sounds nicer, but why should it?

words imo are means to communicate thoughts and feelings. Changing the structure of the words, even though they mean the same, seems... hmmm... strange...

When you censor words you do censor communication. Because that's all it is, communication. Rarely if ever does anyone "literally" mean the cuss words they utter, it is only punctuation, or communication of a strong feeling...

The function of vulgarity is to offend.

We don't say Jesus Fucking Christ because we think he is doing it to himself but rather to piss off the virgin ears of our parents, teachers, friends or whomever. It is racy without doing physical harm.

That is why non-believers can do it without validating god or Jesus or Mohammed.

Religious vulgarity loses it's savour in this community so we must turn to sexual connotation or filth to gain affect. That's why 'asshole' and 'dick' are so popular here.

Mongo

Wow. And somehow I have managed to miss this guys posts for the most part. He'd have a heyday with me, seeing as I am a transwoman with a rather colorful vocabulary at times. Seems I'm likely the epitome of everything offensive to him. I may have to go check this out now... :HaHa:

Cuss words, or "Curse" words is all about ancient superstition.

Words only have as much power as you are willing to give them.

Tablecloths were invented to hide those naughty lascivious table legs, and at the same time, the chicken on your plate was referred to as 'white' or 'dark' meat to avoid saying such scandalous things as BREAST or THIGH.

Nowadays, being so timid around our chicken would seem a tad stupid. And the carver takes orders from his guests as both white meat or "some breast please" without so much as an eyebrow twitch to mark the distinction.

Get over it. Words are words. You want to give them heart clutching power over you, that's your affair, but to impose your scruples on others (who are not your own spawn) is, and always will be completely out of line.

Graphics Guy--thinking people know that only God, the omnipotent and omiscient, is responsible for sin.

Yeah, thinking people. Fundies seem to get really pissed off when you suggest that God created evil though. It makes their brains explode and causes faith to unravel real quick.

I don't believe it! An explanation of the Trinity that makes sense!

blessed fornicating crap!

:lmao: Holy shit! That was fucking hilarious! :lmao:

I agree with White Raven. If I said "bugger" in the most fundy of US churches no one would bat an eye or know what it means. Though, if I said that same word in a chruch in England people would be shocked and horrified I'd dare say that word in god's house.

Tablecloths were invented to hide those naughty lascivious table legs, and at the same time, the chicken on your plate was referred to as 'white' or 'dark' meat to avoid saying such scandalous things as BREAST or THIGH.

Nowadays, being so timid around our chicken would seem a tad stupid. And the carver takes orders from his guests as both white meat or "some breast please" without so much as an eyebrow twitch to mark the distinction.

I think it should be pointed out the English language changed dramatically after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. Prior to that, the country was ruled by Anglo-Saxons, afterwards by the Normans who spoke a French dialect. The conquerors imposed their dialect on the people as an official or court language. To use Anglo-Saxon words was to show oneself uneducated or behind the times. This can be seen in a variety of names for meat for example. "Sheep" became "mutton", "cow" became "beef" and "pig" became "pork".

Similarly the Anglo-Saxons had a variety of word describing various parts of the body and bodily functions. These too became Frenchified if you will. Later, some of the original Anglo-Saxon words became obscenities in the Victorian Era, and custom being what it is, it was many years before they were openly used in either prose or speech.

Interestingly the French language has quite a few turns of phrase which (some) English people would find extremely offensive if literally translated, but the French have used and do use the same phrases in everyday conversation without turning a hair. As for example "Merde aux yeaux!" and ""Demerdes toi!"

Casey

I agree with White Raven. If I said "bugger" in the most fundy of US churches no one would bat an eye or know what it means. Though, if I said that same word in a chruch in England people would be shocked and horrified I'd dare say that word in god's house.

What, I praythee, does bugger mean, if it's not just another word for "guy" as in "Who is that bugger over in that soccer field over there?" or another word for "thing" as in "What's that bugger there sitting on your notebook? Looks almost like an eraser..."

Wow. And somehow I have managed to miss this guys posts for the most part. He'd have a heyday with me, seeing as I am a transwoman with a rather colorful vocabulary at times. Seems I'm likely the epitome of everything offensive to him. I may have to go check this out now... :HaHa:

Kelli, can I ask a favour? I think I may be too late but just in case I'm not. Kratos posted a LOT in my thread Message for Christians while it was in Lion's Den. That thread got seriously sidetracked (and I take just as much blame for it as anyone else because I didn't speak up sooner) but finally I complained to Hans about it. It has now been moved to the Colleseum. I would like it to stay on track now. A few people did take it back to women's issues and sexual orientation. I believe they missed the posts about getting back on track. I notifed Hans and also posted a notice in the thread. Hopefully by also saying it here, eventually it will get on track.

Sorry for messing with your verabal sparring games but I really wanted to discuss a serious topic. I see that new threads have now been started for the other topics (this probably being one of them). I appreciate that very much. Next time I'll have to speak up sooner if I care this much about something. Lesson learned. I hope.

What, I praythee, does bugger mean[?]

Male homosexual, originally. From the Bulgarians, who were supposedly prone to this form of sexuality. It has, as you say, been transmogrified into a generic word for "guy", or "bloke" in this country. A similar thing happened to the Australian slang word "bludger". That comes from an 18th Century English slang expression for a man who lived off the earnings of a prostitute, but nowadays it simply means an idle or lazy person.

Casey

PS. The word "bugger" may also originate from an heretical sect of christianity known as "the Bogomils".

Like I said over in the other tread, I've always thought it was absurd, with all the bad things going on in the world, that Christians think what really pissed god off is my potty mouth.

God isn't concerned with pedophiles, or despots, or earthquakes that kill thousands....no no no, the thing that really makes god angry is that I just dropped the "F" bomb.

I think the real truth of the matter is that most Christians are cowards, if they actually went to the middle east to help those suffering there, or went to the bad part of town to help homeless people, they might die, get injured, or otherwise inconvenienced.

On the other hand they can complain about being offended from cuss words till they are blue in the face, and act smugly superior to all of us "heathens" from the safety of their own home (or church) and never be in any danger at all. The real reason they make such a big deal about swearing is that they are too cowardly to deal with issues of any REAL substance.

Hmmm...I cuss in part (less now than when I was young probably due to some combination of age and meds) because of Tourette's Syndrome (no I don't do it like on television...that's a very small percentage of folks but they grab attention and people then think all of us with TS cuss like that...sorry to disappoint). I cuss out of habit as well (perhaps to cover up my earlier impulses from TS?) but I now cuss more from habit than the TS if not entirely from habit nowadays. I've lost the desire to try to separate one from the other anymore.

But what does this mean for me and those like me? Those who seem "programmed" at some point to do these things? I used to just pray and pray but my compulsion outpaced my ability to pray. It was a horrible death-spiral. I feel much relief now that I've gotten off that ride. Seems I'm not of the "elect" or I am but the "elect" to be shit-canned outright. Thanks "god!" :P

mwc

I used to be on a parenting forum years ago, and one of the moms had adopted a little boy from China. His given name was Fuk. Probably holds the same meaning in China as having the name Mark or Dave. But she changed his name because of the meaning of the word fuck in english.

Probably a good thing she did...kids on the playground would've had a field day with that one...

I used to be on a parenting forum years ago, and one of the moms had adopted a little boy from China. His given name was Fuk. Probably holds the same meaning in China as having the name Mark or Dave. But she changed his name because of the meaning of the word fuck in english.

Oh yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying, but if you always substute POOP for SHIT then eventually you will start meaning SHIT when you say poop, with the same emotional meaning. Why? Because we all need to vent, even the prude. Venting is venting, change the word in your vocabulary enough, and your mind will assign the same emotional value to poop as it does shit eventually imo.

I knew an asian guy years ago named "Hung Lo" seriously. What a name!

It doesnt matter cause no matter what you say or dont say you are not going to please everyone and someone is always going to get offended if they are offendable. Just the way it is to me.

In church, my husband and I years back for fun would go do the puppet show in the little kids church. One time in the skit we used the word stupid. You would have thought we used the word damn or something cause we got a good talking to about how some folks dont allow the word stupid in their homes and to not do that again. lol

This past christmas I went to the church banquet to be there for my husband, (oh how I hate those things) and so I have allergies and get asthsma when surrounded by lots of perfumes and colognes. So Im sitting there and my husband walks up to the table and takes one look at me and says 'you ok?' and I responded 'NO!, I can barely freaking breathe!' So then this couple at the table next to us whispers about my horrible behavior and gets up and moves. lol Over the word 'freaking'. whatever.

I still cuss and if Im really pissed off I can get in the ring with the best of them. I finally decided I wasnt a saint afterall ! However there are some cuss words that I just dont like. I dont like how they sound on the tip of my tongue and I dont like the meanings attached to them so I dont use them. But I do have my other fav's like hell, that word deserves to be only used as a cuss word, damn is another one. I think those are my favs cause I like making fun of hell and damnation. It is a lie to me and the most horrible lie ever conceved by men that looked for ways to manipulate and control others. Well to hell with those damned lies hahahaha

sojourner