Goodbye Jesus

Occupations - Specifically Christian

sonyaj68

As a question, how can someone who professes to be a Chrisitan sell Insurance? From my experience it's the preserve of people who don't have the moral fortitude to sell drugs to children... how does one justify and rationalise basically betting someone their house won't burn down, they won't get ill etc and then squirm like the guts of three day dead road kill in April if you lose the bet?

This question from Grandpa Hurley really has me intrigued. First of all, I really wonder what it is that you think I do for a living? Not just "sell insurance" but what is it that you think I actually do to make you pass judgment on me so harshly?

Second, are there other occupations that you automatically assume the person doing that job is "bad"? Is it just Christians in that job, or anyone?

Let's discuss!

Intrigued my ass.

What is this redundant BS?

You start a topic in the Coliseum, abandon it, then pluck that, THAT from it in an effort to keep communicating with us? How about addressing some of the posts within your original topic thread instead?

I notice you posted this in the Rants section...yet you aren't ranting. You want to have a discussion, yet are apparantly afraid the water in the Coliseum will burn your tootsies. So you start a "new" (not really) thread in another Forum section, and what? You thought no one would notice you BAILED on your original thread?

Get real. And get your butt back into the Coliseum. Answer the posts in your original thread. After all, folks here took the time to respond to YOU. And you cannot be bothered to respond? Instead you start this inane thread?

Ditto...

1.) this doesn't belong here and

2.) would appreciate responses to the questions asked in the other thread.

As a question, how can someone who professes to be a Chrisitan sell Insurance? From my experience it's the preserve of people who don't have the moral fortitude to sell drugs to children... how does one justify and rationalise basically betting someone their house won't burn down, they won't get ill etc and then squirm like the guts of three day dead road kill in April if you lose the bet?

This question from Grandpa Hurley really has me intrigued. First of all, I really wonder what it is that you think I do for a living? Not just "sell insurance" but what is it that you think I actually do to make you pass judgment on me so harshly?

Second, are there other occupations that you automatically assume the person doing that job is "bad"? Is it just Christians in that job, or anyone?

Let's discuss!

My issue is mainly with the insurance companies and their rules. The insurance industry is supposed to be there if and when something happens that requires substantial money to fix. When it comes time to pay up the insurance company refuses to pay or requires substandard repairs.

I've seen it time and time again. When talking with an agent you are told we'll pay if such and such happens but the but part is left out. A very important but part...the actual what they will pay for. For instance I had a tree struck by lightening. The tree was splintered in half. I was paid more for the value of the tree then the actual damage to my electronic equipment that was ruined when the electrical surge hit. The money I received from the value of the tree and the equipment damage didn't even pay enough to have the rest of the tree cut down and hauled away. The cost to replace my electronic equipment and the additional cost of cutting the rest of the tree down and hauled away came out of my pocket. And I only have a $200.00 deductible.

As long as you are stating the but part, I have no problem with you selling insurance.

EDIT: Now go back and answer the questions in the Christmas thread.

Long as we don't have to hear about underwear....

My name is HARLEY! as in Quinn...

and "I'm an insurance agent " so you either act as a bookie's runner or pimp their wares... either needs a level of moral flexibility I'd have thought was incompatible with the faith... but I just worked for one of the largest 'Worker's comp and medical care provider' outfits in the US... Worker's comp seemed to be mostly ways of not paying out for accidents, fatalities and industrial illnesses brought on by working conditions one wouldn't normally expect to find outside the third world or forced labour camps, and medical care seemed to be prevaricating (usually by misplaced paper work... if you couldn't read, or couldn't read english, you were a shoo in for 'filing clerk') until the person died... I loathed working with those scum sucking, number driven parasites... and I'm pretty flexible on 'morals' when I don't know the carbon based life form, or they're in my way when I have to get a project done.

I notice you posted this in the Rants section...yet you aren't ranting. You want to have a discussion, yet are apparantly afraid the water in the Coliseum will burn your tootsies. So you start a "new" (not really) thread in another Forum section, and what? You thought no one would notice you BAILED on your original thread?

Someone must have moved it. It's in the Lion's Den now.

Sonya said:

This question from Grandpa Hurley really has me intrigued.

My name is HARLEY! as in Quinn...

I hear ya, Gramps! So if you filed for something with her as agent you wouldn't even get what her company deemed you worthy of receiving. She'd have it sent to Mr. Hurley. I happen to know him and he's not even in your country or hers. That would suck big time.

Of course, there might be more than one Mr. Hurley in the world but you get my point. If Mr. Harley needs it and Mr. Hurley gets it...

Christian or not, Sonja, one might ask if you are qualified for the job--if you can't spell names...

To be fair Gramps, there are actually tax benis attached to keeping your investments wrapped inside insurance policies, such as VULs. The tax savings on the investments oftentimes more than makes up for the premium paid. The stories I could tell...

I agree, some insurance is sleezier than it's rep, but some just makes good investment sense to own.

Insurance is not a service, but a Bookie.

Road insurance- I bet you I kill or cripple another road user

House insurance - I bet you my house burns down

Life Insurance - I bet you I die

you get the jist

Now, I headed the IT of the European wing of a US loss adjuster... our function was to come up with a solid reason for THe Company paying out as little, or nothing, for a claim as we could without going to court. The sales people were to sell something that the company had little or no intention of paying unless it was forced to by circumstance or law... we all knew that. thus The Company sold dreams and sold steaming shit...

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but you are approaching this on too simple of a level. In the US, there is a tax loophole that says that investment gains held inside a VUL policy are not taxable. In essence, you can cram your stocks inside the policy and not pay taxes. This is one of the few non closed loopholes. Any investment advisor worth his salt would be commiting malpractice to NOT suggest using VULs for many of their clients.

Let's see if I can explain here...

I understand it... and tbh I don't give a rat's ass about the venal practices of a country rotten from top to bottom. Get my position now... hell, it's such a hell hole you're living in a state run by a Crime Syndicate so you don't have to be there...

Well, I'm not living there. I'd not be surprised, however, if there isn't a similar investment mechanism in the UK though.

I too happen to be in the *insurance business*.

Insure lots of things, or go collect on them. Electronically and materially things get defended.

kL

There are always ways people can hide money to avoid paying their dues... they have to be there since the Government have to salt their money... doesn't make is any less venal, just common.

I'm confused, is paying taxes my dues? If so, seems a bit imbalanced.

no, you're being disingenuous... make your fucking point.

Disingenuous? :D

The majority of taxes in the US go to graft, corporate welfare, the military industrial complex, etc... Those close to the government trough get rich - extremely so. If I don't pay my share it just means that my reem job is slightly less painful than my patriotic neighbor's reem job. Why should I appologize for using all legal means to reduce my burden?

Who said you should apologise? and sitting in St. Petersburg tax free isn't exactly paying anyone anything...:D

As far as why should I pay for the grafting bastards... the 'legal' loopholes are there for the grafting bastards to hide their money. It's policy, not loophole... just because it was legal, doesn't make it right... ask Rosa Parkes about 'legality' and 'right'... but then it's ancient history... and pragmatism over rides 'right'... still doesn't make the bulk of the insurance industry anything more than bookies who try not to pay.

Hey - who said you two could crack open the vino, serve up the linguine and start 'talking italian' already?

hey vig, which one of us is Don Camillo and which one Peppone? :D

Okay, I'll go back to the original thread and answer the questions there first. If memory serves me they weren't really questions but merely insults but that's okay, I'm probably wrong. But then I'll be back to read through this thread because I'm very passionate about my job and I really really want to talk about this! And I apologize for the incorrect spelling of the name....my eyes was pretty tired by the time I posted last night! Y'know, raping & pillaging all day is EXHAUSTING (that was a JOKE....I've found in here that when a Christian makes a joke that most people don't find it funny...probably because our jokes just aren't funny,)

Intrigued my ass.

What is this redundant BS?

You start a topic in the Coliseum, abandon it, then pluck that, THAT from it in an effort to keep communicating with us? How about addressing some of the posts within your original topic thread instead?

Get real. And get your butt back into the Coliseum. Answer the posts in your original thread. After all, folks here took the time to respond to YOU. And you cannot be bothered to respond? Instead you start this inane thread?

Done I don't believe I missed anything but I did please point it out to me.

Ditto...

1.) this doesn't belong here and

2.) would appreciate responses to the questions asked in the other thread.

#1 That's my fault but somone fixed it for us

#2 I went back and did this If I missed something please show me

Done I don't believe I missed anything but I did please point it out to me.

How about the question I asked? It wasn't hypothetical.

Let's discuss!

My issue is mainly with the insurance companies and their rules. The insurance industry is supposed to be there if and when something happens that requires substantial money to fix. When it comes time to pay up the insurance company refuses to pay or requires substandard repairs.

I've seen it time and time again. When talking with an agent you are told we'll pay if such and such happens but the but part is left out. A very important but part...the actual what they will pay for. For instance I had a tree struck by lightening. The tree was splintered in half. I was paid more for the value of the tree then the actual damage to my electronic equipment that was ruined when the electrical surge hit. The money I received from the value of the tree and the equipment damage didn't even pay enough to have the rest of the tree cut down and hauled away. The cost to replace my electronic equipment and the additional cost of cutting the rest of the tree down and hauled away came out of my pocket. And I only have a $200.00 deductible.

As long as you are stating the but part, I have no problem with you selling insurance.

EDIT: Now go back and answer the questions in the Christmas thread.

Well you know everyone always has a big but. (That's a joke.) That's one of our big "things' is that we explain the policies and try to make our clients understnad their coverages. We go to class to stay up on the changes, etc.

I DID go back an aswer the questions

Well you know everyone always has a big but. (That's a joke.) That's one of our big "things' is that we explain the policies and try to make our clients understnad their coverages. We go to class to stay up on the changes, etc.

I DID go back an aswer the questions

I'm going to just say here, eihter you're lying or the people teaching you are lying. Not because you are a christian, no, because I know the industry. I do love me some insurance people, I do, but the industry is crap, lying sacks of crap. Which company do you work for, if you want to private mail me I'll understand. I know what I know because before retirement my father was the head of the legal department of one of California's larger insurance companies for 30 years. My brother is THE, not one of no THE top agent for a different, actaully larger insurance company, and my husband currently works for my brother. My brother is also suppossedly a xian, but wouldn't knwo the truth if he was smacked upside the head with it.

The industry is about one thing, and one thing only MAKE MONEY!! That's it, fomr the smallest small fry receptionist, to the biggest President muckey muck. It's all about money, it's about putting the elast amont out, and bringing the most in. Yes, they tell ALL their agents BE HONEST, they also lose it if you do, well unless you can be honest and bring in numbers. The industry is complete and utter slime that puts people into catergories "this is a quilty person" based on things that are abhorent.

I have no question about how you can do it and be a xian though, honestly insurance companies and church are about one and the same to me. :shrug :

BTW Sonya, my husband is working for my bro because the industry he had worked in, that wasn't pure slime, eihter went under or went to china. It left us hurting finacially, I need a coat, just a light weight one, can I have yours?