Goodbye Jesus

Occupations - Specifically Christian

sonyaj68

Sonya thanks for answering my question in the other thread. If you really think about it I think that you will find an overlap. In the other thread you made the comment about animal rights wacko's. That was a fairly sweeping generalization to make. You have now explained further what you meant, although I beg to differ that not all people who belong to PITA are of the same mindset. You've heard the expression one bad apple spoils it for the bunch I'm sure. Unfortunately once a bad apple comes to light it does spoil it for the rest because people tend to label the group. It's guilt by association and no I do not agree with it.

I may be misunderstanding your latest post but it seems to be saying that a person is good at their job because they are required to have a license or take classes (I believe in most states insurance agents are required by law to take classes and be licensed). To me that is an incorrect assumption and could be another sweeping generalization. All that license or those classes show me is that you have gone through training. It doesn't show me that you are good or bad or if you really care about your clients. Same holds true with a teacher, the teacher may have gotten their degree and their certifications, they may be re certified as required by law but it doesn't necessarily mean they are a good or bad teacher, they aren't good unless they reach the students. Same with a police officer, certifications are required but they don't necessarily mean a thing. To me it just depends on the individual and what they do with the knowledge they gained from those classes they took to be licensed, certified or re certified.

As I stated before my issues aren't so much with the agent anyway, it's with the policies and rules the insurance company has. I work in employee benefits. I have been handling an insured product for the past 3 years as well as a self funded, self administered, non-insured product for 15 years. The product that causes me the most headaches on a day to day basis is the insured product and it covers only 1/3 of the employees that the non-insured product does, both are disability types of products. My headaches with the insured product aren't because of my account reps, but are caused by those nameless, faceless folks that make the actual decisions. I've worked with them for 3 years and have yet to figure out just who those faceless, nameless decision making folks are.

Oh and btw, that insurance company I mentioned in my previous post sent me a letter after I filed that claim and said I was filing excessive claims and they were going to drop me if it continued. It was the only claim I had filed with them and was only a little over $1200, wtf? I dropped them and am with a great insurance company. The company that threatened to drop me is the same company that we use for the employee benefits program. Our contract with them is up and while we could have renewed the contract for another year decided not to. Sometimes you reap what you sow, while my personal business with them was a drop in the bucket and they couldn't have cared less, the employee benefits business was a multi million dollar a year contract.

And I do have to agree with what someone said. Insurance to me just doesn't seem compatible with Christianity. If the premise of Christianity is to have faith that Jesus will provide and take care of you doesn't buying insurance mean that you don't have true complete absolute faith in Jesus?

And I do have to agree with what someone said. Insurance to me just doesn't seem compatible with Christianity. If the premise of Christianity is to have faith that Jesus will provide and take care of you doesn't buying insurance mean that you don't have true complete absolute faith in Jesus?

I guess we have now identified the True Christian, i.e. the ones that refuse insurance of all kinds. That would include the group I come from.

Done I don't believe I missed anything but I did please point it out to me.

How about the question I asked? It wasn't hypothetical.

What was your question? I missed it.

Well you know everyone always has a big but. (That's a joke.) That's one of our big "things' is that we explain the policies and try to make our clients understnad their coverages. We go to class to stay up on the changes, etc.

I DID go back an aswer the questions

I'm going to just say here, eihter you're lying or the people teaching you are lying. Not because you are a christian, no, because I know the industry. I do love me some insurance people, I do, but the industry is crap, lying sacks of crap. Which company do you work for, if you want to private mail me I'll understand. I know what I know because before retirement my father was the head of the legal department of one of California's larger insurance companies for 30 years. My brother is THE, not one of no THE top agent for a different, actaully larger insurance company, and my husband currently works for my brother. My brother is also suppossedly a xian, but wouldn't knwo the truth if he was smacked upside the head with it.

The industry is about one thing, and one thing only MAKE MONEY!! That's it, fomr the smallest small fry receptionist, to the biggest President muckey muck. It's all about money, it's about putting the elast amont out, and bringing the most in. Yes, they tell ALL their agents BE HONEST, they also lose it if you do, well unless you can be honest and bring in numbers. The industry is complete and utter slime that puts people into catergories "this is a quilty person" based on things that are abhorent.

I have no question about how you can do it and be a xian though, honestly insurance companies and church are about one and the same to me. :shrug :

BTW Sonya, my husband is working for my bro because the industry he had worked in, that wasn't pure slime, eihter went under or went to china. It left us hurting finacially, I need a coat, just a light weight one, can I have yours?

I work for an independent agent in a small town. We have 20 employees, about 80% of our agency is commercial lines and 20% is personal lines. We represent most of the major carriers and write a significant amount of oil and gas business and well and construction and “main street†businesses. The agency I work for has one owner who is a relative of the man who started it in the early 20’s. Our agency has high standards of integrity and we have an excellent reputation with both our clients and our companies.

Having said all of that…no doubt the insurance business itself is only about making money, and I would never say that there aren’t people on every level of the industry who are corrupt. It is a money making industry and insurance companies don’t ever intend on losing money. On our level – on the agency level – we have a choice to make on how we do business, and we choose to be honest and do what is best for our client. Do we make money doing it? Sure! Do I think I’m making the world a better place by being an insurance agent? Of course not. But, my clients must have insurance in order to do business, they prefer to have insurance to manage risk and to protect their assets, and I am proud of the job that I do for them and I am proud that the agency is an honest business.

As far as the coat goes….sure, you can have mine, or send me a message with your address and your size and I’ll send you a new one…just cuz I’m a nice person and because you asked. Is purple your favorite color? It is mine, too. (No, I’m not thick headed and don’t miss your reference about giving you my coat…but send me your address and see if I don’t send you a coat.)

Sonya thanks for answering my question in the other thread. If you really think about it I think that you will find an overlap. In the other thread you made the comment about animal rights wacko's. That was a fairly sweeping generalization to make. You have now explained further what you meant, although I beg to differ that not all people who belong to PITA are of the same mindset. You've heard the expression one bad apple spoils it for the bunch I'm sure. Unfortunately once a bad apple comes to light it does spoil it for the rest because people tend to label the group. It's guilt by association and no I do not agree with it.

I may be misunderstanding your latest post but it seems to be saying that a person is good at their job because they are required to have a license or take classes (I believe in most states insurance agents are required by law to take classes and be licensed). To me that is an incorrect assumption and could be another sweeping generalization. All that license or those classes show me is that you have gone through training. It doesn't show me that you are good or bad or if you really care about your clients. Same holds true with a teacher, the teacher may have gotten their degree and their certifications, they may be re certified as required by law but it doesn't necessarily mean they are a good or bad teacher, they aren't good unless they reach the students. Same with a police officer, certifications are required but they don't necessarily mean a thing. To me it just depends on the individual and what they do with the knowledge they gained from those classes they took to be licensed, certified or re certified.

As I stated before my issues aren't so much with the agent anyway, it's with the policies and rules the insurance company has. I work in employee benefits. I have been handling an insured product for the past 3 years as well as a self funded, self administered, non-insured product for 15 years. The product that causes me the most headaches on a day to day basis is the insured product and it covers only 1/3 of the employees that the non-insured product does, both are disability types of products. My headaches with the insured product aren't because of my account reps, but are caused by those nameless, faceless folks that make the actual decisions. I've worked with them for 3 years and have yet to figure out just who those faceless, nameless decision making folks are.

Oh and btw, that insurance company I mentioned in my previous post sent me a letter after I filed that claim and said I was filing excessive claims and they were going to drop me if it continued. It was the only claim I had filed with them and was only a little over $1200, wtf? I dropped them and am with a great insurance company. The company that threatened to drop me is the same company that we use for the employee benefits program. Our contract with them is up and while we could have renewed the contract for another year decided not to. Sometimes you reap what you sow, while my personal business with them was a drop in the bucket and they couldn't have cared less, the employee benefits business was a multi million dollar a year contract.

No, taking CE classes doesn’t make someone good at their job….for example, in Texas, we are required to take so many hours of “ethics†CE, and it is always so funny to me, as if sitting in a class and someone telling me to be ethical is going to make me be ethical – anymore than a locked gate will keep out a thief – the ethics classes are only for the ethical…anyway, you are correct, and I believe a person is good at their job because they desire to be, if they choose to take CE classes and use them to their benefit to do a better job, then they are growing in their knowledge and that in turn will help them do a better job. Who knows what the answer is with the health insurance/employee benefit area – thank goodness that’s not my field, but my health insurance alone is enough to make me cuss and my family is healthy.

Hmm…that is a good question and interesting thought about trusting God and not buying insurance. I can give you the “textbook†answer that people are required by law to carry certain types of insurance and they are required to carry insurance to do business. But I don’t look at buying insurance as a lack of faith, anymore than I look at going to the doctor when I’m sick as a lack of faith. It is the “Mack truck†example to me (do you walk in front of a Mack truck and trust God to stop the truck…of course not…God gives you enough sense not to walk in front of it). I guess if someone believes God has led them to have faith and not carry insurance, more power to them, but I think God gave me enough sense to know that we have hail storms in Texas every spring and I’d better have insurance on my Mustang (besides, Ford Motor Credit might get a little ticked at me if I didn’t).

Insurance companies....loved slightly more than the IRS,and slightly less than rabid racoons (they sure look cute). Personally I dont see how most people reconcile their jobs with their religion xianity (jesus xianity anyhoo) hardly was about putting down roots making money and thinking about tomorrow, but we all have to live in the real world at some point eh. I dont have a real beef with the insurance industry, all though it can be shady at times, but I hardly take issue with sonyaj68 for working for one, alot of us swallow our scruples to make ends meet (and there are worse things than insurance)

Anyway Im of the opinion that this thread is going nowhere fast, was very narrow to begin with (the whole site vs sonya) and will only devolve further into vitriol and anti-insurance sentiment. :shrug:

Anyway Im of the opinion that this thread is going nowhere fast, was very narrow to begin with (the whole site vs sonya) and will only devolve further into vitriol and anti-insurance sentiment. :shrug:

This is the Lion's Den... so why is what you say a 'bad thing'?

This is the Lion's Den... so why is what you say a 'bad thing'?

Yeah.....I forgot about that I was thinking it was in the colliseum like the christmas one...I guess its pretty well in keeping with Lions Den tradition :)

Y'know, raping & pillaging all day is EXHAUSTING (that was a JOKE....I've found in here that when a Christian makes a joke that most people don't find it funny...probably because our jokes just aren't funny,)

Arrr, we Pastafarians do not take to kindly to Christians making jokes about God's Chosen People, the PIRATES.

Faith should be an xtian's ONLY insurance policy:

Health insurance:

Pray for recovery. If you do not recover, it's god's will.

Car insurance:

Pray you don't get in a wreck. If you do, it's god's will.

Home insurance:

Pray nothing happens to your xtian home. If it does, deal with it, it's what god wanted for you.

After all, the bible does NOT say, go ye forth and buyth ye insurance, for I am with thee, but I shalt not spare thee the same pitfalls in life everyone else has, thou art on thy own.

Now, all you *real* true™ xtians, git thine ass out and cancel thou policies....

Yeah... I can picture that happening.

In reality it's trust god, but carry a big policy.

And don't give us that "testing god" crapola, there was no insurance in those days, so FAITH is SUPPOSED to be your insurance policy.

Think on that xtians.

Let's see....I specifically pointed out how the holiday celebrated was not an original christian holiday (there's no such thing by the way), and I asked how you and your family got around the paganism. Basically I reversed your original question.

Granted, you already made it clear that you do not...after all your husband tracks Santa. I was just wondering what other godless heathen practices you observed that have nothing to do with the mythbabysavior.

Faith should be an xtian's ONLY insurance policy:

Health insurance:

Pray for recovery. If you do not recover, it's god's will.

Car insurance:

Pray you don't get in a wreck. If you do, it's god's will.

Home insurance:

Pray nothing happens to your xtian home. If it does, deal with it, it's what god wanted for you.

After all, the bible does NOT say, go ye forth and buyth ye insurance, for I am with thee, but I shalt not spare thee the same pitfalls in life everyone else has, thou art on thy own.

Now, all you *real* true xtians, git thine ass out and cancel thou policies....

Yeah... I can picture that happening.

In reality it's trust god, but carry a big policy.

And don't give us that "testing god" crapola, there was no insurance in those days, so FAITH is SUPPOSED to be your insurance policy.

Think on that xtians.

Somehow I don't think Ford Motor Credit would buy that. Does carrying a high deductible count?????

Let's see....I specifically pointed out how the holiday celebrated was not an original christian holiday (there's no such thing by the way), and I asked how you and your family got around the paganism. Basically I reversed your original question.

Granted, you already made it clear that you do not...after all your husband tracks Santa. I was just wondering what other godless heathen practices you observed that have nothing to do with the mythbabysavior.

Gramps will really love this since he adores pointing out how stupid I am. We did not know of the pagan roots of Christmas until Rick was in seminary. A co-student who was much more fundamental than us really got onto us because we did the “Santa Claus†and “Christmas Tree†thing. I’d never heard the origins of all of it. To be honest, never worried too much about it. We decided that things are what you make them. We incorporate all of the traditions that we enjoy into our Christmas celebration, and we do focus that on the remembrance of the birth of Christ, but we are not going to deprive our kids of Santa or a Christmas tree just because someone tells us we shouldn’t have those things. Some may say that makes us a “sell out†but almost every Christian I know does the same thing we do. We also had the “Easter Bunny†when the kids were little. We just think it is fun for them. The latest thing around here is people not letting their kids celebrate Halloween. Rick said something that made a lot of sense to me - we celebrated Halloween when we were kids and we didn’t grow up to worship the devil. Of course trick-or-treating isn’t what it was back then, but that’s for safety. So that’s a length answer to your question - we do probably what most of you do.

We also had the “Easter Bunny” when the kids were little. We just think it is fun for them. The latest thing around here is people not letting their kids celebrate Halloween. Rick said something that made a lot of sense to me - we celebrated Halloween when we were kids and we didn’t grow up to worship the devil. Of course trick-or-treating isn’t what it was back then, but that’s for safety. So that’s a length answer to your question - we do probably what most of you do.

That was a decent answer. Thank you for taking the time to really answer.

By the way, don't sweat the Easter Bunny. The early christians "appropriated" that one too! Have you looked up the origins of Easter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny

I don't adore doing it... I just feel it's my duty... I'd much prefer it if she weren't so loudly and proudly ignorant...