Goodbye Jesus

This Is So Sad--glad I'm Out

R. S. Martin

Group email sent out by my cousin. I think she's Pentecostal. Title: Urgent Prayer Request:

I got an email from my friend Barry that his mother had 2 heart attacks yesterday and is scheduled to have surgery this morning at 10 am at ___________ hospital today, Thursday. Please pray for her. I'm not sure if she is ready to go if that is what happens. She is around 60 years old.

Barry has had some strange pains recently too and was being tested just last week and on this past Monday for possible heart problems too. This is not good for him if his mother is going through this. Please pray for him through all of this too.

As a fairly recent deconvert myself, I just like not having to "wait on the Lord" anymore, and having the permission to go ahead and do what my brain tells me needs doing when there's serious problems. Of course, this is the kind of problem where prayer might be the only thing one can do besides waiting. I don't know these people.

Any thoughts?

Not that I think prayer is going to change anything except delude the prayer into thinking he/she is "doing" something.

• Super Moderator

"I have received your prayer request, and while I can't do that, be assured I am hoping for the best outcome and wishing peace to everyone."

Well in that situation little else can be done, as we all know "prayer" often means hope or optimism not literal expectation for divine help. But I agree with the las thing you said. In the case of Barry's mother those that care would better serve by actually doing something. Whether you believe in an afterlife or not it wouldnt hurt for people to remind the grandmother of what she can be sure of,i.e her legacy on earth, her grandchildren, the people that care enough to "pray" for her. (I hope these are all good things as this idea is worthless if she was a complete terror her whole life..). If I were dying the last thing I would want is people worrying about whether I go to "their" heaven.

As for Barry himself he better get that checked out, and these people should go read up on heart health and give him some helpful tips. From what Ive read poor heart health is often reversible if the lifestyle is changed.

Your cousin sounds like a caring person and I wouldnt presume to know how to handle other peoples relatives (I can barely handle mine). But it couldnt hurt to give maybe hint that rather than limiting themselves to prayer they could take a more proactive stance.

But then maybe they already are and theyre just hoping that chain prayer e-mails will help where the real world couldnt. I just hope that if the outcome isnt what they hoped for they wont get to hurt in the process, its always hard to see that happen.

You've got some good ideas there, doc, esp. about reading up on heart health. The email sounds like Barry is getting tests done so probably the prayer chain is extra. I've never felt myself capable of getting involved in this kind of thing. It's just too energy-draining. If someone I know is in trouble, my thoughts are with them and I have to protect myself from over-identifying to the point where it hinders my own ability to function in my own life. On the other hand, it seems some people think "prayer" means to just say a formula including a person's name. In my mind, that amounts to magic. For people who believe magic is evil--it just doesn't add up in my mind.

Florduh, that's a very beautiful idea. I don't think this cousin knows about my deconversion so I will skip the first part. I had not been going to respond at all because it's a group email and she never seems to really care whether or not I respond. We barely know each other and I prefer to keep it that way. I'm afraid what would happen if she found out about my deconversion. You can probably bet on a batch of prayer chains springing up around the world, eh? And I would still go to a godless grave.

I personally respond to prayer requests that I am sorry to hear they are going through the illness and that I wish them a speedy recovery. I don't mention anything about praying at all.

Fundamentalists are really into group prayer, as if a hundred prayers would have any more of an effect than one. Or zero. My wife was in one of those "prayer group" distribution lists from our neighbor. She used to simply delete them.

Fundamentalists are really into group prayer, as if a hundred prayers would have any more of an effect than one. Or zero. My wife was in one of those "prayer group" distribution lists from our neighbor. She used to simply delete them.

That's what I do. This cousin is in contact with so many people who are ill and need praying for. Yesterday she sent an email about a woman who died of cancer. Earlier in the week she had emailed an update on this lady's condition because it had been worsening.

I can see why she does it. She is personally disabled and very religious. I think she finds prayer comforting and helpful. So I assume she feels she is doing a ministry by keeping people updated and the sick prayed for.

I personally find it so sad that people don't know a better approach to life's difficulties, and further, that they would condemn me for suggesting more positive approaches. All the same, I'm glad I found something better for myself.

I hope for the best for your friend and his mother.

You hit a hot spot for me. The whole idea of prayer just infuriates me. I'm surprised Christians even do it. What do they think, that God's sitting up there ready to do someone in, but a lot of people ask him not to, so he thinks, "Hey, I hadn't thought of it that way. Okay, I'll change my mind and do what you peons want." What's the magic number of prayers to get God to do what you want? If God answered your prayer , say for protection when traveling, and you're okay but your friend's family have a horrible wreck and their kids are killed, is it their fault for not praying hard enough or praying the right number of times? Why pray more than once or have more than one person pray? Is God forgetful or hard of hearing?

The whole concept of answered prayer is so contrary to what they say they believe about God, it amazes me they do it.

Sad, rough, and sorry to hear about the heart issues, first off. As far as praying for someone like that, it at least makes it feel like you're doing something. It isn't only the patients that need help in scary circumstances like this.

Figure it doesn't hurt anything, no reason to get up in arms about it. At least that is what I tell myself when dealing with my own family.

I was still a Christian when I was convinced in my deepest being that prayer is wrong so I stopped praying. Possibly it was related to circumstances. The conviction came at a very low point in my life. At the same time I was also disillusioned that I could depend on neither god nor man to meet my needs. It was one of those times when just living from one minute to the next was a task in its own right.