Goodbye Jesus

101 Contradictions In The Bible

Guest skeptic101

but I do think [Christian Beliefs] deserve an accurate review

Why? For the most part it's akin to debating the type of Bridle rig Santa uses. Unless you have an opinion on that too... It is certainly not a courtesy the site you quote to anything outside the Christian Milieu.

What next? The philosophy of Pirahã and transcendental numbers with special reference to the Golden Ratio...

And more often than not I feel that people misunderstand certain Christian beliefs, that does not mean I believe them myself, but I do think they deserve an accurate review, not someone misqouting a belief or verse and people bashing on it.
How can you give Christian beliefs an "accurate review" when the Christians themselves can't agree on their beliefs? Is there some instructional manual out there that explains how to read the bible? And if God really wrote the bible, why does he need anyone at all to give it an "accurate review?" If God is all-knowing, shouldn't it be God's job to make sure that his book is comprehensible and not ours?

Read? The Bible? Are you mad?

Yeah, um... have you seen my name recently? ;)

Yes... it's from Love Cats by The Cure...

And more often than not I feel that people misunderstand certain Christian beliefs, that does not mean I believe them myself, but I do think they deserve an accurate review, not someone misqouting a belief or verse and people bashing on it.

I don't understand this. You're only seventeen. Yet you think you have a better understanding of Christian beliefs than those of us who spent at least twice the amount of time inside religion that you did?

Some of us have a lot of formal training in theology, in the ministry, or other branches of university level study of Christianity. (At 17 you can't have much more than highschool.) Others have simply lived it for decades, raised children in it, read the Bible and other literature in an effort to understand, worked in the mission field for decades, preached, taught Sunday School, and other various levels and types of schools. Those of us who were thirty, forty, or fifty before we exhausted all possible sources of information--and lived and studied religion all that time--how dare you suggest you have a better understanding of Christian beliefs than most people here?

We come from all walks of life and are all ages from 13 to senior citizens. The one thing we have in common is that once we were Christians but we are no longer Christians. But not all of us ever were Christians. And some people here have never been anything but Christians. You come across like an arrogant young stud who knows of only one version of Christianity (your own) and who will condemn to hell all other kinds, who would burn them at the stake if only the government would allow it.

So what if you have deconverted from that "one true Christianity" and refuse to acknowledge all other kinds--why would that bother the rest of us here? It bothers me personally because you reject the legitimacy of my life experiences. And that of my friends. Heck, "special me" arrogance bothers me no matter what colour it comes in....Okay, I'm looking over your post again. I see you are willing to learn. You ask:

However, if someone says something that I believe to be false, wouldn't it be stupid or cowardly of me to not speak up?

I would say no. I think it would be more appropriate to ask about it, rather than state that the speaker is wrong. Another approach would be to do some research on it. You might be the one who is wrong, you know. You can then present what you have found and raise your questions along with the pros and cons for the various positions. Always keep in mind that there are few things that are cut and dried or black and white.

Lol. I promise I am not here to convert anyone.

lol indeed. No danger of anything you saying achieving that.

However, if someone says something that I believe to be false, wouldn't it be stupid or cowardly of me to not speak up?

Go ahead, speak up, but try to make some sense.

It might help if you could provide an example of how someone has "misquoted a belief or verse." Don't just throw statements out like we all know what you mean. How are they misquoted? In what context?

An "accurate review"? Is that a judgment implying that we didn't give 20 plus years of our life doing so? Please remember the audience you are writing to.

As far as how sincere you are, we will evaluate that over time by reading what you write. You aren't looking so good from where I sit.

I want to clarify my reasoning for this. I am a college freshman, 17 years of age. I am trying to look at both sides of the issue: does the bible contradict itself? As I stated in a previous post, sometimes it's easier to understand things when you are having a conversation w/ someone rather than reading off pages from google. I am looking for someone who can disprove or discredit a few things on the webpage that I listed. I have looked around some, but like I said, so far- no such luck. I am just looking for answers.

So you're a college freshman. I don't know what freshman means. I guess we don't use those terms here in Canada. Whatever, I only see terms like freshman and sophomore used in books and posts and never hear them on campus. I take it you're post-secondary education--probably first-year university student.

I'm not quite sure how you got through high school with the idea that you had to copy entire texts in order to discuss them. The way to do it is summarize in your own words and only copy the paragraph or sentence that contains the words that are crucial to your argument.

Document your sources!

The fact that Skip had to lay that out for you makes me seriously question whether you are in college. Documenting your sources part of academic protocol. You even have to document your sources when you summarize. It's human decency and social ettiquette.

Regarding quotes, you have to explain every detail as to why you think those words are crucial to your argument. Nobody is going to read your paragraph and say, "Oh yeah, now I get it." We're going to read your post and if necessary we might look at your quote. And then we might say, "Oh yeah, now I get it." That is the way it's supposed to work. You will notice that even your school texts work on that premise.

I would like to think this post is going to improve your grades at school.

Lol. I promise I am not here to convert anyone.

lol indeed. No danger of anything you saying achieving that.

Go ahead, speak up, but try to make some sense.

It might help if you could provide an example of how someone has "misquoted a belief or verse." Don't just throw statements out like we all know what you mean. How are they misquoted? In what context?

An "accurate review"? Is that a judgment implying that we didn't give 20 plus years of our life doing so? Please remember the audience you are writing to.

As far as how sincere you are, we will evaluate that over time by reading what you write. You aren't looking so good from where I sit.

Hmmm. Now why couldn't I say things nice and simple like this?

Hans, I'm stupid cuz I don't know the answer to your riddle unless it has to do with racial discrimination or bigotry for the Cretes.

Paul is almost creating a paradox. And it's because the word "always" is used.

A cretan (Epimenides) who say cretans always lie, is hence lying and it results in that cretans do not always lie, so the statement is NOT true.

But Paul claims it is true, so Paul's statement must be false, hence Paul is lying. (And considering that Paul is writing under the influence of the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit didn't catch this.)

It's not a real paradox, because Epimenides could be lying and the real truth could be that Cretans sometimes (or often) lie, but not always. So it's not a true paradox, but the solution is that it is a false statement, and when Paul claims this lie to be true, he is making a huge mistake.

Wow! I had not caught that! That is good reasoning skills. Gives me reason to reread this stuff more critically. Thank you, Hans for pointing that out. I'd have never seen it otherwise.

So you're a college freshman. I don't know what freshman means. I guess we don't use those terms here in Canada. Whatever, I only see terms like freshman and sophomore used in books and posts and never hear them on campus. I take it you're post-secondary education--probably first-year university student.

In the USA:

Freshman = 1st year college or high school

Sophomore = 2nd year college or high school

Junior = 3rd year college or high school

Senior = 4th year college or high school

It is? Nothing about any crazy tigers in that.

Now, cagey tigers are another matter. :)

The name came from a pet name my ex had for me and the fact that I'm quite able to be totally crazy when the time is right... or at any time really. :D

In the USA:

Freshman = 1st year college or high school

Sophomore = 2nd year college or high school

Junior = 3rd year college or high school

Senior = 4th year college or high school

Thank you! I would never have gotten that figured out. I never went to high school but I hear about grades. Here in Ontario, highschool used to go from Grade 9 through Grade 13 for people who wanted post-secondary education. Several years ago, Grade 13 was knocked off the curriculum by the conservative government--to conserve funds, I think--so now we have younger kids in university. From First Year undergraduate university through PhD the levels are counted by Years, so far as I can figure out.

I never went to community college so I don't know how things are done there.

It is? Nothing about any crazy tigers in that.

Now, cagey tigers are another matter. :)

The name came from a pet name my ex had for me and the fact that I'm quite able to be totally crazy when the time is right... or at any time really. :D

I'm sure I heard dear old Bob sing 'Crazy' on both the John Peel session and at the Academy in 1983... could be wrong though... I copped off with a very Gothic looking girl in the D- cup range so I was distracted at the Academy.

I copped off with a very Gothic looking girl in the D- cup range so I was distracted at the Academy.

You dirty old man you.... ;)

In 1983 I was 18... but I'll stand by the 'dirty'...

I was the only one there in a light grey suit and thin tie... looked more like a member of Duran Duran than someone who listened to The Cure. But then I had pretty catholic (small c) tastes in music... Alice Cooper, The Cure at one end, to Plainsong and Harpsichord music at the other...

My taste in ladies was always as catholic... a good sense of humour and someone who gives 'good mind'