• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kratos

• Grandpa Harley

• Neon Genesis

• R. S. Martin

and I was pointing up the differences...

Which one is the problem? The 'Fucking Moron' post or 'Jesus Loves you... but I'm his favourite'?

I'm VERY tired of this continuous dance around one man's delusion... this may well be a support group, but it's not here as a creche for every person who had a nervous breakdown and found some version of Jesus and isn't seeking treatment for hearing voices.

John,

More I read through this thread and your participation in it, I see you delighting in the "I'm plugged into something you can't imagine" lines of thought.

As a industrial welder, I can tell you from surviving many experiences with *power*, that being plugged in, even for a moments worth of, experience is more than painful.

Reading your religious-easespreech there is far more Watchman Nee and assorted ilk of the mindfucked bent of theology.

Just not sure what you are fishing for.

kFL

and I was pointing up the differences...

Which one is the problem? The 'Fucking Moron' post or 'Jesus Loves you... but I'm his favourite'?

I'm just asking everyone to stay on track.

I'm VERY tired of this continuous dance around one man's delusion... this may well be a support group, but it's not here as a creche for every person who had a nervous breakdown and found some version of Jesus and isn't seeking treatment for hearing voices.

That's why we divided the forum into Lion's Den and Colosseum, to have two different kinds of discussion. One where you can say pretty much whatever you want, then the other where we keep the topic on track and not allow personal attacks. Or should we change that concept? Maybe we need a new poll again? Last time I think the outcome was to try to keep them separate and keep the Colosseum civilized. Granted that we usually fail to keep it that way, but that's no reason to why we shouldn't try, or am I completely out of line here?

I didn't see either post was off topic since the thread is now one man's eisegetic apologetic for God talking to him... hence the question...

Well, okay.

I thought I read a long post from you with quite a bit of your personal opinions about the other debater, but it seems like I can't find it now. I guess I saw wrong. Back to the original schedule.

Well, I've not deleted anything... although I do think his mum dresses him funny (j/k)

I have ventured forth on the type of person who can hold such evil opinions and walk abroad unchallenged...

John,

More I read through this thread and your participation in it, I see you delighting in the "I'm plugged into something you can't imagine" lines of thought.

As a industrial welder, I can tell you from surviving many experiences with *power*, that being plugged in, even for a moments worth of, experience is more than painful.

Reading your religious-easespreech there is far more Watchman Nee and assorted ilk of the mindfucked bent of theology.

Just not sure what you are fishing for.

kFL

Skip,

Really not fishing for anything. Just participating by expressing my beliefs to the best of my ability.

You do have a good ear though as Watchman Nee has been my favorite Christian author for over 20 years. Maybe it is because the Eastern mind better understands the language of Near Eastern writers than do those who try to filter their understanding through Greek or other Western mindsets.

I am watching the Superbowl and considering if I will offend more members by walking away from this thread for now and failing to answer Neon's last two extensive lists of questions or by answering them and continuing to participate, and thus, continuing to frustrate those who want to purify this board of my kind of thinkers. We will see.

John

1.So, in other words, only spiritually-minded Christians can clarify the meaning of these verses? So, if only spiritually-minded people can clarify the meaning of those verses, then why can't Christians agree on what their meaning is?

Because none of us are very spiritual yet. There are ages to come mentioned in scripture and it ain't over until it is over. Spiritually speaking, all of mankind are just infants including me.

2.Or are you saying that that those aren't "real Christians" but you're a "true Christian" and only you can clarify their meaning because you're "spiritually minded" but those other Christians aren't?

No, I said many times that I am a work in progress like everyone else. All I share is what I believe today, but I expect to constantly grow in my understanding as my carnal mind is cleansed by the Mind of Christ.

3.I thought the bible said that God was not the author of confusion but now you're saying God is purposely confounding the wise in this world? How can God not be the author of confusion but purposely confound the wise of the world?

Confusion and confounding are not the same things as I understand them. God is constantly removing confusion from those who seek Him and this comfounds the wise because they think that they are the only ones who have an ability to understand mysteries. In other words, it frustrates the wise of this world that their natural wisdom is not the way to know God.

4. If God is purposely confounding the wise in this world, why did Jesus pray for those IN THIS WORLD, to be united?

I don't think that He said this. He said that His disciples would be united and that He had called them out of this world. They would remain in the world, but not be of this world. Of course, the "world" is not the same as the earth. The world is the orderly arrangement of the god of this world. (that is another subject). The earth is the Lords and the fulness thereof, but Satan is the god of this world. They are not even the same things scripturally speaking.

5. If God is purposely confounding us to not understand the meaning of those verses, then it was God's will for us to not understand. If you really believe in God, why are you defying God's will by trying to get us to understand?

I am not trying to get anyone to understand. I am just answering your questions. God does want everyone to understand by means of coming to Him and learning of the spirit realm.

6.If God does not wish people to understand the word of God intellectually, then why did God give us minds to use to think for ourselves in the first place?

He gave us minds as tools for everyday life and as servants of our spirit man. There is nothing wrong with our minds as long as our minds do not rule us. I receive knowledge from God by way of the spirit, but my mind processes and retains this information.

John (continued on next post)

7.. Didn't Jesus say for us not to bury our talents but to use them like in the parable of the talents? If our talents are intellectual, why is God telling us to bury our talent of intellect and not understand the word of God with the talent of intellect he gave us?

See above. We are to use our minds as they are intended to be used. Our spirit should rule our soul which rules our body. The mind is a part of the soul and is important. It is just not the source of spiritual knowledge is all. The spirit gives us the ability to know God and our bodies give us the ability to know the physical world. Our souls including our minds are in between processing information from both sources.

8.So, why do you think your understanding of the bible that the bible cannot be understood is the correct way to understand the bible if the bible is not meant to be understood? And I thought God was not supposed to be the author of confusion according to the bible?

You asked this already. God does want us to understand the Bible so He allows us to be born again spiritually so we can understand it.

6.If God's ways are above our ways, then why are you attempting to explain God's ways to us?

I share what I have learned from Him up to this point. God wants us to learn His ways and not to exalt our ways over His.

9.Isn't explaining God's ways to be unexplainable in fact an explanation about God?

See above. His ways are not unexplainable, they are just spiritually discerned.

10. Therefore, by telling us that God's ways are above our ways, aren't you implying you know what God's ways are?

I know some of His ways as do you. I am learning more every day and I hope you are, also.

11. Then why do you keep making assumptions that you know why there is so much confusion in Christianity or made assumptions as to why I don't believe in it earlier in the thread if you aren't insisting anything? It's funny how you keep saying you aren't insisting anything but then turn around and say other Christians are wrong.

I am sharing what I believe. Insisting means that I am demanding that others believe likewise. I have never insisted anything on this board. You are all adults with a right to believe as you will. I hope you will all not insist that I believe as you do either. I don't see either side insisting anything.

12. If it's God's purpose for us not to believe, then why are you defying God by trying to get us to believe that your way of reading the bible is correct?

It is not God's purpose for you not to believe. It is His purpose for all to come to the knowledge of the truth. I am just sharing the way that I believe we learn these things is all.

13.Then, why are you still evangelizing to us?

Can you show one quote where I ever asked anyone to come back to God? Can you show where I have ever tried to get someone to pray with me? The truth is many of you have suggested that I drop the name Christian and further examine my beliefs to see if I really should deconvert. I am not the evangelist here.

14.Again, if Jesus really cared that we believed in him, why didn't he leave indisputable physical evidence that he existed? Everyone in the world would believe in him and everyone would be united in their beliefs like Jesus prayed for IN THIS WORLD, and Christians would no longer be persecuted because then everybody would believe. It's a win-win situation for God, but he chooses not to do this for some strange reason. By not leaving indisputable psychical evidence that he existed that no one can agree on in spite of his wishes to be united IN THIS WORLD, doesn't that show Jesus doesn't care that we believe?

Because it is very short sighted to see God's purpose as just getting everyone to believe in Him. He really is not that insecure. His purpose is that man would be made in His image and likeness. This means that we must become spiritual. If we all just believed by physical evidence, we would never learn to exercise our spirit man and become like Him.

John

1. So, why did we fall away from God? You seem to keep forgetting that we are EX-CHRISTIANS, that means WE DID ALL THIS BEFORE. So, if shutting up and not asking questions is supposed to somehow magically help us have a better relationship with God, then why did we stop being Christians when we didn't think carnally when we were Christians but instead thought spiritually?

I cannot answer why anyone deconverts. I am sure that the reasons are many as all are individuals. I do know that there are a lot of verses that say that we should not faint when corrected by the Lord and we are blessed if we endure to the end. This shows that it is not easy to remain in the faith. I know that most relationships fail because one or the other fell short of the other's expectations.

2. Why do you keep implying that we never thought spiritually when we were Christians?

I don't imply anything about others, but just answering questions as to why much of Christianity and the Bible do not make sense to the natural mind. I know that you all believed as long as you were thinking spiritually.

3.Again, why did God give us brains if we're not supposed to use them when God said to not bury our talents?

We do use our brains, they are just not the source for the knowledge of God. They are not receivers of spirituals as they are part of another part of our make-up.

4.If you really know what it's like to "faint in our pursuit of God", then why did you make assumptions before as to why I stopped believing? I'd still like to have an apology for that rude and arrogant assumption since you seem to think you're so respectful.

I apologize.

5.So, in other words, you think it's our fault that we stopped believing? Because obviously it can't be God's fault for not leaving enough evidence in the first place?

I am no man's judge.

6.Wait, I thought you said earlier in your post that God purposely confused people to not understand him. If God is purposely confusing people, then how can he be easy to understand? Again, you are flip-flopping. Funny how I feel even more confused by your explanations than before when you just said God is easy to understand.

I do not think God is trying to confuse anyone. He is trying to teach us how to know Him. We just sometimes get mad that He will not do it our way through the carnal mind and through physical evidence.

7.But if Christians make God confusing and it's not God's fault for being confusing by not leaving behind a clearer message, then since you're a Christian and you're confusing us, then are you admitting that you're purposely confusing us? Or maybe this is all God's purpose again? Glory!

Huh? I am trying to make things clear as best I can.

8.And again, you are insisting that your way of understanding God is the only right way and that other Christians' understanding of him isn't yet they'll turn around and say the same thing about your views, once again proving to me that there is no right way to read the bible.

I see through a glass darkly like the rest of us.

I am going to drop out of this thread now. I did not want to do so with questions unanswered, but I think we have gone as far as we can especially when you say I am making you more confused than before.

Blessings to all and I hope I was some small help in furthering our understanding of one another. If not, sorry, it was not intentional.

John

I am watching the Superbowl and considering if I will offend more members by walking away from this thread for now and failing to answer Neon's last two extensive lists of questions or by answering them and continuing to participate, and thus, continuing to frustrate those who want to purify this board of my kind of thinkers. We will see.

John

There you go with airs and graces and Uriah Heep handwringing... 'my kind of thinkers', indeed... Can you keep the humble martyr stuff to a dull roar?

Reading assignment for you John-boy... The Second Coming of the Christ by Param'hansa* Yogananda I'm pretty certain

1) you'll like it

2) you'll find it gives more context to what you're trying to say.

OK the guy is a Godless Hindhu, but he knew his stuff on the liminal world you're trying to communicate.

One word about the view on women and gay people in your demon haunted cult - It really just discredits your views. It's a bit like getting babysitting tips from Ian Brady...

*- my variant spelling, since Yogananada's dialect did not support the third "a", but the correct English transliteration is 'Paramahansa'... just for the interested.

John

Or alternatively, if you really cared about not offending people and really cared about "getting to know us", you could start by 1) getting off your Christian soapbox and actually listen to what other people say, 2) stop making assumptions about why other people do and believe the things they do, including your fellow Christians, 3)stop evangelizing us under the guise of "getting to know us", that's just dishonest, 4)stop flip-flopping in your debates, 5)stop acting like you're the only one who knows the right way to heaven, it just makes you look like the umpteenth fundie that comes by once a week, 6)stop assuming that we didn't already do all this stuff that you're telling us to do when we were Christians, and 7) actually admit when you don't know the answer to a question instead of passing the blame on "God's mysterious ways." Then it would at least look like you're paying attention. Soj is one of your fellow Christians on this site and she can easily admit when she doesn't know an answer without praising God for his "mysterious ways" simultaneously and we get along just fine. So, why can't you have the guts and decency to do the same instead of blaming everything on God when you don't know something?

Because none of us are very spiritual yet. There are ages to come mentioned in scripture and it ain't over until it is over. Spiritually speaking, all of mankind are just infants including me.
1)If we can't understand the meaning of scripture because the future ages haven't arrived yet, then why do you claim that your way of reading the bible is the correct way to understand the bible and that other Christians' understanding of the bible is wrong?

No, I said many times that I am a work in progress like everyone else. All I share is what I believe today, but I expect to constantly grow in my understanding as my carnal mind is cleansed by the Mind of Christ.
2.Wait, you just said above that nobody was "very spiritual" yet but now you're saying Jesus is cleansing you of your "carnal mind", implying that you think you're more spiritual than others. If nobody is "very spiritual yet", how can you claim that your "carnal mind" is being cleansed?

3.If you don't believe you're a "true Christian" and are just sharing what you believe, then why did you claim earlier in this thread that other Christians' understanding of the bible is wrong?

Confusion and confounding are not the same things as I understand them.
4.That's nice, but it's not the same definition that 99% of everybody else uses. According to dictionary.com, the word confounding means, "To cause to become CONFUSED or PERPLEXED." According to dictionary.com, the word confuse means, "to PERPLEX or bewilder." They mean the EXACT same thing, so please stop making up your own words to suit your arguments.

5. Since we've established that the word confusion and confounding mean the exact same thing, answer this question, why is God purposely confounding the wise if God is not the author of confusion like the bible says?

God is constantly removing confusion from those who seek Him and this comfounds the wise because they think that they are the only ones who have an ability to understand mysteries.
6. Wait, I thought you said earlier that nobody can understand the meaning of scripture because the future age hasn't arrived yet? Yet now you're saying that God is in fact allowing some people to understand scripture but not others? Again, you are flip-flopping.

In other words, it frustrates the wise of this world that their natural wisdom is not the way to know God.
7.Then why did God create "natural wisdom" in the first place? If all things come from God like the bible says, then "natural wisdom" came from God too, so why can't we understand God with something that God created? Or are you saying God created something useless?

I don't think that He said this.
8. Again, you are proving my point that there is no correct way to read the bible, otherwise we wouldn't be disagreeing on how we think this verse should be read.

9.Why is this such a difficult concept for you to grasp?

He said that His disciples would be united and that He had called them out of this world. They would remain in the world, but not be of this world. Of course, the "world" is not the same as the earth. The world is the orderly arrangement of the god of this world. (that is another subject). The earth is the Lords and the fulness thereof, but Satan is the god of this world. They are not even the same things scripturally speaking.
10.Again, if that's what Jesus really meant when he prayed for them to be united IN THIS WORLD and if there is a right way to read the bible, why didn't Jesus make it clear that's what he meant so we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place? Please stop dodging my questions.

I am not trying to get anyone to understand. I am just answering your questions. God does want everyone to understand by means of coming to Him and learning of the spirit realm.
11.There you go again, trying to explain God's ways to us. Please stop saying you're not doing something, then turn around and do it immediately afterwards. That's dishonest and disrespectful. By answering our questions, if you give us the right answer, we will understand, since that's what answering is supposed to do, so please stop acting like answering questions and understanding are two different things.

He gave us minds as tools for everyday life and as servants of our spirit man. There is nothing wrong with our minds as long as our minds do not rule us.
12.How do you know your mind isn't ruling you to make you think this is how we should read the bible?

13.If none us can think "very spiritually" yet because the age to do so hasn't arrived yet, why is it wrong for us to read the bible with our minds instead of being lead by the spirit, if it's impossible to think spiritually yet, and so reading the bible with our minds is the only way to read it at this point as you claim?

I receive knowledge from God by way of the spirit, but my mind processes and retains this information.

John (continued on next post)

14.But I thought you said earlier that nobody is thinking spiritually yet, so why are you claiming to receive your knowledge through the way of the spirit if you don't think anyone can think spiritually yet?

I cannot answer why anyone deconverts. I am sure that the reasons are many as all are individuals. I do know that there are a lot of verses that say that we should not faint when corrected by the Lord and we are blessed if we endure to the end. This shows that it is not easy to remain in the faith. I know that most relationships fail because one or the other fell short of the other's expectations.
1. Then, doesn't that mean thinking spiritually instead of carnally and not using our minds to answer questions, does not keep people from falling away since we're living proof that that doesn't work?

I don't imply anything about others, but just answering questions as to why much of Christianity and the Bible do not make sense to the natural mind. I know that you all believed as long as you were thinking spiritually.
2. Again, if the bible only made sense to the spiritually-minded, then nobody would fall away because if the bible would make sense to the spiritually minded, why would people stop thinking spiritually?

We do use our brains, they are just not the source for the knowledge of God. They are not receivers of spirituals as they are part of another part of our make-up.
3.According to dictionary.com, the word knowledge means, "awareness, as of a fact or circumstance." Our brains are the source of our awareness. Once our brains cease to function, we die and lose our sense of awareness. Since our awareness comes from our minds and the definition of knowledge is awareness, then all our knowledge does in fact come from the mind.

I am no man's judge.
4.Then why were you earlier in this thread judging other Christians as not reading the bible correctly?

I do not think God is trying to confuse anyone. He is trying to teach us how to know Him. We just sometimes get mad that He will not do it our way through the carnal mind and through physical evidence.
5.But you just said earlier that God was purposely confounding us. If God doesn't try to confuse anyone, why did he purposely confuse the people who tried to build the tower of Babaal?

6.If God doesn't want to prove his existence "carnally" through physical evidence, then why did God give physical evidence to the characters in the bible but not to us? Does that mean God shows partiality even though the bible said God doesn't?

Huh? I am trying to make things clear as best I can.
7.If you were being clear, why would we be having this discussion in the first place? Again, you are proving that there is no clear right way to read the bible.

Quote from Post #111:

I see through a glass darkly like the rest of us.

I am going to drop out of this thread now. I did not want to do so with questions unanswered, but I think we have gone as far as we can especially when you say I am making you more confused than before.

Blessings to all and I hope I was some small help in furthering our understanding of one another. If not, sorry, it was not intentional.

John

This is best for all for now. IMHO

I don't think a graceful exit is likely... one of the problems engaging on the path you chose is that leaving questions unanswered makes you look a prick, and the fact you're not really answering anything without contradicting yourself makes you look a prick...

leaving the thread may well be the better option for you, since you're not getting the 'understanding' you seek... although we're grasping what you're saying very well... for us... well you weren't upsetting anyone here... causing sadistic amusement, perhaps... which is never good for anyone...

Let's have a picture of a Pygmy Chameleon... he's an adult, and called

GODZILLA.jpg

GODZILLA

GH,

I don't mind continuing, but I don't think we are getting anywhere. The length of posts and time to respond keeps growing and we are all just saying the same things over and over again. I did post that I would drop it after answering all of the questions posted, but I was ignored and flooded with more so how do I end it without appearing either to want to help beat this dead horse or to appear to be ignoring questions?

John

John

Or alternatively, if you really cared about not offending people and really cared about "getting to know us", you could start by 1) getting off your Christian soapbox and actually listen to what other people say, 2) stop making assumptions about why other people do and believe the things they do, including your fellow Christians, 3)stop evangelizing us under the guise of "getting to know us", that's just dishonest, 4)stop flip-flopping in your debates, 5)stop acting like you're the only one who knows the right way to heaven, it just makes you look like the umpteenth fundie that comes by once a week, 6)stop assuming that we didn't already do all this stuff that you're telling us to do when we were Christians, and 7) actually admit when you don't know the answer to a question instead of passing the blame on "God's mysterious ways." Then it would at least look like you're paying attention. Soj is one of your fellow Christians on this site and she can easily admit when she doesn't know an answer without praising God for his "mysterious ways" simultaneously and we get along just fine. So, why can't you have the guts and decency to do the same instead of blaming everything on God when you don't know something?

Neon,

You are equally guilty of not listening as I have said repeatedly that I do not have all of the answers and am a work in progress, but these are what I believe today. I, also, stated that I think it is time to get off this merry-go-round, but you ignore me and keep on with the same questions just worded different ways. I am all for dialogue when it is accomplishing something, but it seems more like dead horse beating to me.

John

John,

When all is said and done, I'd prefer that you as a religious man *do* rather than *say*.

Man needs a meal? Prefer you'd feed him, rather than tell he and his hungry family "I'll pray for you", aka in xtianease "Fuck you Charlie, I don't have time or desire to mess around with loooOOoooOOooosers whom God obviously hasn't chosen to bless"...

Would prefer that you elect to *do* something that is Christlike rather than xtian_leader-esque.

Doesn't take a "hellova voice" and a "godly presence" to do some service to your fellow man as your leader, JC, not Paul, was said to have done.

'Just Do It' can be a daily creed and example to follow.

Here in my world now things are rather tame due to medical concerns and physical wear. Not too many years prior however there was a continual drift of fellow workers and co-conspirators who managed to wash up on my front door step no matter how far away from the shit I tried to move. Fed, clothed, often 'staked' them until their next job came in.

Was/am I that well fixed up? Was then more than now, but I'll not toss away someone from my door.

Don't need Paul's religion and preferences, rules and regulations to be a decent human being.

When all the religion, verses, discussions and venting happen, what shit boils down to is how we treat those who need from us.

I'll be first to admit often what was applied to those needy wasn't *nice*. I still have to eschew REM sleep over that time in my life.

There are though the good and helpful things done and still doing. Paul's ghost and the Black Book of Odd Rules do not apply here, yet we will continue to do well to whom we are able.

All discussions become sophistical bullshit eventually when in meat.space we fail to help those and that which we can.

kFL

With due respect, you dragged it's carcase on to the playing field... it's hollow to complain we're playing Afghan Polo with it now...

The problem is, you're contradicting your self... or you're holding two, mutually exclusive world views and trying to claim they're complementary, not antagonistic (to each other)

You can tell this is becoming a massacre when I'm feeling like this has got to the stage of clubbing harp seals... I've recommended a book I think MAY make sense of what you're trying to say... I'd suggest you go away and read it... you have an over reliance on Paul, and I'd suggest dropping most of Paul, since that is where most of the insanity and 'God told me to hate you and what you do' stuff lies... You want to lose the bigotry, stick to the Gospels, I'd favour, if it ain't in red it's gibberish approach. Although the Gospel of Thomas has some good stuff, as does Philip and Magdalene... and if you're REALY interested in getting an idea about 'spirit' then spread out to some of Yogananda, Suzuki, the Dalai Lama, Fr. Anthony DeMello S.J.... even Deepak Chopra and Wayne Dyer... American New Thought (Thoreau and Emerson) The Gita... with a modern commentary to get the joke... Sticking with some half assed eisgesis, built mostly on Paul just makes us pissy... you want to see where we're coming from, that's not a bad reading list... I'm not sufficiently au fait with Paganism and Nordic Pantheons to make any good suggestions on that... other suggestions from me The Tao of Pooh, The Te of Piglet, followed by the Tao Te Ching, and Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand faces' then watch Star Wars... then read The Dharma of Star Wars, some Thich Nhat Hanh, then back to Taoism with the Tao of Star Wars...

If you want to learn, you can at least do my reading list over the past year... One of the good things about chronic pain, and demon haunted REM sleep... lots of time to read.

Well, that became a Finnegan's Wake of a reading list... The quarks for Meister Gutenberg...

Oh YES!!! Meister Eckhart.... you can't over do Eckhart... and perhaps a touch of the Long Dark Night of St John of the Cross and Thomas Merton's comments on the same... and The Wounded Healer by Henri Nouwen...

OK, I'll stop while I'm still under the $500 mark...

The reference to REM problems are purely coincidental... but I agree with KFL...

Great reading list, Gramps. Maybe he could start with reading Meister Eckart's "Sermon of the Poor."

http://www.omalpha.com/jardin/meckhart52-imp.html

I was wondering what book to get next of Yogananda as Im almost thru with 'God is for everyone' which is an awesome book that I highly recommend.

thanks for giving that list Grandpa, gave me some more books to get.

sojourner