Goodbye Jesus

Christian Forums

robbie

Anyone else a member?

Oh, and while I'm talking about CF I'd like to really, really thank you all for helping me remain sane. Half an hour or so on CF and I start muttering under my breath about how anyone could be that incredibly stupid and evil. It's only thanks to this site and everyone here that I haven't broke my laptop my banging my head on it. So thank you!!!!!

I'm still a member of The OOZE, and they had no intention of banning me, I just got tired of debating monsters

I'm still a member of Bible-Discussion.com and occasionally (once a month) will lurk there still. I pretty much deconverted right in front of them. Went in angry as hell demanding and/or begging for answers. It was actually really cool that they didn't ban me. I thanked them for that.

But yeah, went in, kept hear the same tripe and bullshit. Finally one day I said that was it, that I was done with Xianity. Found this place and started posting. Made a few final posts at that place and that was it.

They (CF) really helped me get out of Christianity. When I first started having serious doubts I posted a lot there and a lot here. Replies here were actually answers to my questions and had serious thought and discussion behind them. Posts at CF were cliches and did nothing to help me stay in "the fold".

I've been a member of CF. There's actually some decent folk there, like LibertyChic and a couple of others.

I've been a member of CF. There's actually some decent folk there, like LibertyChic and a couple of others.

I agree with Kelli, although I am not around there enough to name names. The Ethics and morality board I can only handle reading for so long before I am ready to give up on the entire human race though. At CF I am PurpletheHeathen.

I'm there, at first posting incognito - so I sound like a Christian, but then I just got disgusted and stopped posting.

Oh wow I have to visit over there and change my avatars clothes if Im still a member and can find my password! lol That is the only thing I liked about that forum was the avatars! I loved shopping and dressing her up, changing her hair and stuff. Other than that the place was too much of a fundie battlefield for me. Drove me nuts watching the mindless debates over women in the church which seemed to always be a hot topic.

sojourner

Yeah the site has many cool gimmicks. Too bad it's a morontheist stronghold. I've been a member there for quite some time but finally couldn't stand the staff's bias anymore and took an... "extended timeout". Lasting until today.

I used to post on CF long ago, in my dumb Christian teenager days. Now I've made a new account and I'll look around the debate boards to see if there's anything worth replying to. And they've added so many nifty features since I left!

I went to CF once to browse, but I after 10 minutes I realized I lost too many brain cells and my IQ dropped at least 10 points. Had to bail to avoid further brain damage....

I'm amazed to see how many more people deconverted after being in CF's! I spent time on one and actually started learning things I never took time to think about. I researched things that a Pagan had written. There I realized that 'someone other than god' wrote the bible. I feel so ignorant that I never even questioned that~

I deconverted right there on that thread.... it took some time... but hell, look where I am now!!

I love you heathens...

BIG GROUP HUG :HappyCry:

(who just pinched my butt???)

*koff* What?

:wicked:

Another wonderful Christian forum, chock full of idiocy, is TalkJesus.com.

I attempted to unsubscribe from their mailing list and my email box was immediately filled with stupid, preachy, insulting emails from their host "Chad". His vile insults and Spam really made me want to come back to Jesus. Not.

Have to admit it... one of them was me :fdevil:

;)

I'm a patter, not a pincher, so it wasn't me...

I'm on CF. I visit and post for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a reminder of why I'll never return to Xianity. CF helps keep me out of the fold.

Plus there's been a proliferation of utter asshat wackjob fundies in the Discussion/Debate fora since control of CF changed hands, and I have to admit there's a part of me that loves pissing them off. It's soooo easy to get those fuckers riled...

Heh. Maybe I just have too much time on my hands.

Oh, was that your butt? I was aiming for someone else's... :wicked:

You guys got me curious so I just went and had a look at it...but Gawd!

The website's a fucking navigation/design nightmare. I couldn't look at it for longer than 30 seconds without my eyes crossing!

No way I'm signing up. The mess of it all will irritate me as much as the Xians and I don't need the extra stress... :P:D

Denny Crane

(its the mad cow)

i joined a christian forum when i had my question about God being cruel for sending people to hell. some said hell was not a place of eternal torment. some said it was, but we CHOOSE to go there by not obeying. as if anyone would choose hell. they want to make it sound like God is passive in this matter. but even Jesus said to fear the one who can THROW you into hell. some say those who go to eternal torture deserve it. it seemed to me that defending the doctrine of eternal punishment hardens people, in that it puts them in the position of defending cruelty. what a weird thing, defending a being who tortures people for eternity as being kind.

personally i think it culd be argued the punishment is everlasting destruction meaning death rather than living torture.

but Gods treatment of people in the old testament was cruel anyway. God himself even calls it cruel judgements. so why do they get mad with me for calling it cruel? God calls it cruel too?

and when i asked the question, why is it not cruel of God to have created us in the first place, seeing as he knew lucifer would tempt adam to sin, and sin evil and suffering would come into the world immediately. whether thers eternal torment or not, the suffering in this world is bad enough for many people. i saw people in india so deformed it made me dread to think what God is like for allowing that. if thats love.....? and sending famine and drought. well, it would have been better if that was the only way to have fellowiship with SOME humans, it wuld have been kinder not to create the rest of us at all. you know what they all replied? free will. we had to have free will. where is it stated in the bible that free will is the reason God let the world go bad? its not. its pure conjecture, excuses. and it still doesnt answer the question, 'if God had to allow free will, and free will had to lead to sin, evil and suffering, would it not have been kinder to not create the world at all?'

no christians see the logic of this. and its not as if i was a sceptic trying to cause trouble among them. i was a christian myself actually, at first. the more replies i got, just parrotting the free will non-answer, the more cynical i got, to realize almost all christians would just make excuses rather than be honest. oh yes, to be fair, some said it seemed cruel but we have to have faith that God has a good purpose which will be explained one day. thats logical, yes. but its one option only. the other option is that it could mean the bible is not correct, seeing as it doesnt make sense. nobody would accept that that was one of the logical options.

actually, without waiting for the explanation at the end of time, i can see with my own eyes from the OT that God almost seemed to gloat triumphantly over what he was doing to terrify his own people, sending cruel people to attack them, involvling a siege so bad they would eat their own children. i can see theres no love or goodness in that. even if God explained it to me i couldnt accept it as good.

anyway, all the replies i got made me more cynical and convinced that christianity didnt actually make sense. why it had seemed to make sense up till then was because i'd accepted peoples INTERPRETATION of the bible, which seems to me to constitute 80 to 90 percent of what is preached and written about, and what christians say to each other, stereotyped cliches which when examined logically dont even make sense.

anyway thats my rant for today, because after 4 months i still havent received a reasonable and honest answer from christians. and i dont really identify with ex christians who ridicule and despise fundamental christians. i dont think they, fundies, can help it. they believe theyre proclaiming God's word, so what choice do they have? most of the ones i was with werent nasty people at all. i know the gay-hating ones in the usa are horrible, but i wuldnt have called them true christians.

is there anyone else who's decided christianity cant be correct but doesnt despise it? i myself know it doesnt make sense, but still seem to be hanging on to the comforting God and Jesus and Holy Spirit i've had in my life since childhood.

is there anyone else who's decided christianity cant be correct but doesnt despise it? i myself know it doesnt make sense, but still seem to be hanging on to the comforting God and Jesus and Holy Spirit i've had in my life since childhood.

Well, I am Pagan, so I think you can work with whatever God or deity-figures you like, in whatever way you want. There is no obligation for you to swallow the whole "system". Heck, there are even a few occultists and Witches who work with Jesus.

There are many different ways of looking at Jesus. Perhaps you might want to explore some of the non-mainstream points of view. Just for starters there are books like "Meeting Jesus again for the first time" by Marcus Borg. I also have "Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up?: A Debate between William Lane Craig and John Dominic Crossan". Both of these books are respectful of Jesus and suggest that one can view him as a great teacher, a person of Divinity, without all the trappings and supernatural claptrap of mainstream Christianity. For instance, as far as I know Crossan does not believe in the bodily resurrection of Christ.

Mainstream Christianity and Fundamentalism do not have a patent on Jesus. I would encourage you to explore your own feelings about him and the Holy Spirit; if you do not want to "let go" of them or reject them at this time, there's no reason you should feel obliged to do so. Continue exploring and opening your mind; you will surely find a way that is right for you.

Yeah, I joined CF. I got on there and started describing my understanding of what God is which is quite different than Biblegod.

A fundie got on there quoting Revleation at me, said that "I had left my first love" and "Both Hinduism and Buddhism contradict the teachings of the Bible and each other. YOu cannot logically or reasonably claim an allegiance to all of them. If you patch together beliefs drawn from each of them you simply create your own faith, a kind of self-worship, that the Bible warns will lead you further and further into darkness."

Another person wrote me about about demon worship, when I was discussing avatars...

I think I have had enough.

anyway thats my rant for today, because after 4 months i still havent received a reasonable and honest answer from christians. and i dont really identify with ex christians who ridicule and despise fundamental christians. i dont think they, fundies, can help it. they believe theyre proclaiming God's word, so what choice do they have? most of the ones i was with werent nasty people at all. i know the gay-hating ones in the usa are horrible, but i wuldnt have called them true christians.

Fundamental christians believe that they are speaking for God, not for themselves. In their minds they are just repeating what God said. Deep down, one often wonders what they really think. Of course there are nice fundamentalists. Not all of them go around condemning people and preaching all the time. Some of them keep it to themselves.

I do despise certain doctrines of Chrisitanity. The religion as a whole is very diverse and I wouldn't say I despise all aspects of it. I was angry for awhile, but now will even attend an Anglican service once in a while just for its beauty. Its a fact that Christianity does provide comfort for some people, for others, its a torture.

Maybe we could get dave or kev to include this one for group hug:

grouphugg.gif

Fundamental christians believe that they are speaking for God, not for themselves. In their minds they are just repeating what God said. Deep down, one often wonders what they really think. Of course there are nice fundamentalists. Not all of them go around condemning people and preaching all the time. Some of them keep it to themselves.

I do despise certain doctrines of Chrisitanity. The religion as a whole is very diverse and I wouldn't say I despise all aspects of it. I was angry for awhile, but now will even attend an Anglican service once in a while just for its beauty. Its a fact that Christianity does provide comfort for some people, for others, its a torture.

1) (reply to quoted in Deva's post) Of course they can 'help it'... it's a conscious suspension of disbeleif, complete with checks and safeguards that a bright five year old could see past (this bright 5 year old did... December 1970) Of course there are some people who are mentally impaired, but by and large, the Herd choose that shit. I tend to zero tolerance these days, rather as I would a rabid dog.

2) 'Nice' fundementalists. Just because they smile and nod and don't push their poison doesn't mean they're nice... it's like saying Ted Bundy was a 'nice' guy between kills... the fact the evil isn't overt does not make it less evil... simply not externalised. In a mob situation you can tell where they'd be... a lot like the guys who didn't quite join in in Nazi Germany (GODWIN!) Simply because the dog doesn't foam doesn't mean it's not rabid, and may still turn at any time...

3) Comfort - fine. Long as they're not raising children. I'm a great believer that anything that stops you killing someone, having another tweak, another drink, another unprotected tryst with someone you've no idea their name, then more power to their faith. However, that does not give licence to spread their new addiction any more than they had a right to push drugs, or what ever their old addiction was...