Goodbye Jesus

I Feel Like A Bad Atheist

decafaholic

I love reading books and blogs by fellow atheists. However, I've noticed that I'm not very good at being an atheist because, well, here's the list: (this is mostly for humor, but it's true)

1. I'm mostly a republican when it comes to American politics

2. I'm not "out" to my whole family

3. I was never good at science and still can't give the best explanation of how the universe works.

4. Most of my friends are Christians and I'm even going to church with a friend tomorrow

5. I celebrate Christmas (hey, who doesn't like presents?)

Anyone else ever feel like a bad atheist?

I love reading books and blogs by fellow atheists. However, I've noticed that I'm not very good at being an atheist because, well, here's the list: (this is mostly for humor, but it's true)

3. I was never good at science and still can't give the best explanation of how the universe works.

4. Most of my friends are Christians and I'm even going to church with a friend tomorrow

I often have pangs of guilt over not practicing religion. Both my wife and I have been remiss in taking our children to church. They attend catholic school,and while I have conflicts with religion, I feel it is wrong not to take the children. One day I hate religion and couldn't care less, and then another day i feel extreme guilt over abandoning religion.

Don't worry, I'm with you on all of those. Except for when it comes to politics, I'm quite random when it comes to that...

Give it time. The more you learn about the world, the more you realize how wrong it all is. No one says you have to be an atheist either. As far as me, I'm atheistic towards the bible god but I'm still open to the possibility of a deist's type god. It took me a couple of years after leaving the church before I stopped believing in what they taught me. I still have doubts when a christian makes a good point, but then I read something by Robert Ingersoll or Richard Dawkins, etc. and those doubts vanish.

Check out this article on the "uniqueness" of the christian experience. I think it will help.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/ed_...experience.html

what's wrong with Yule? It's certainly not a Christian holiday...

There are rules for being a xtian. There are no rules for being an atheist. Do whatever you want, you're not going to get kicked out of the club :grin:

Hey Decafaholic!

Wow! What a question. What's a good atheist?

Isn't an atheist only a non-believer? Isn't politics and everything else, irrelevant?

As mch as I personally think the Republicans are facist pigs, they are a legitimate party in the USA. Really, when it comes down to it, if the Republicans weren't riding the christian fundamentalist wave, and exploiting it, they'd be just another main stream party.

Atheist isn't synonymous with Liberal and / or democrat. In the past, before the republicans sold their "souls" (pun intended), atheists did occasionally vote for them because they felt a certain aspect had to be brought back into balance. Consider the much touted "financial responsibility" claims of the republicans - though they haven't shown much lately, they were the business and economy party in the past.

Your choice - you probably feel you have good reason for that. At the same time, the only way we atheists are ever going to have a positive influence on society as a whole, is if we're out and about. You could say that you're just having a "time out" from the whole "jesus" stuff, as you need to think things through. Say "personal things" so that you don't have to say "mind your own business". If friends and family persist, you could always promise them that you'll "come to them when you're ready, thanks for the offer, but please don't push me."

I personally prefer straight forward honesty, but you know your family better than anyone else and need to address it in the best way possible for you.

Reading will fix that, but don't expect to be an expert over night. Be willing and good to yourself to take the time ..... and don't feel ashamed to not know something. Enjoy discovering new stuff. Let yourself enjoy it.

You don't have to give up your friends because your belief has changed. Whilst the record shows that christians are the ones who often end friendships in such cases, you don't have to be the one who does it. Also, there are now plenty of organizations taht cater to the "faithless" and individuals of differing beliefs - you could, if you were willing, go to these meetings / groups and easily strike up new friendships.

This is what I did. It worked well and I'm now amoungst like minded individuals.

Christmas is not a christian holiday. Remember in the past how many fundamentalists wanted the christmas season to end and now, when it looks like it is getting a new meaning, they're now bitching and moaning about the atheist wanting to destroy it? Can't make up their minds.

Either way, just look at it as a time for family - like it has been for 1000's of years - well before christianity tried to claim it.

In the past yes, but not anymore.

Hey Decaf, be good to yourself - try not to be so hard on yourself. You're a non-christianity believer now - you don't have to fit into a template.

Enjoy!

Spatz

Unless you like laughing at pictures of starving orphans, you're not a bad anything...

Bah, there's no such thing as a "bad" atheist. It's not something you subscribe to that has rules you have to follow to be a "good" atheist.

Being a Republican doesn't make you a bad atheist either as long as you're up in arms about the way the religious right has latched on to the Republican Party. :HaHa:

I find that I can understand a lot better than I can speak. I have a hard time for example posting on some of the big discussions here, but I understand whats being said. So maybe I'm a bad atheist too. I used to be a conservative too, but that has slowly melted away with my religion.

If it makes you feel any better:

1. I'm a life-long democrat

2. Everyone who knows me knows my mindset.

3. I'm an avid science and math fan.

4. I haven't been in a church (other than a wedding and some funerals) in 25 years.

5. I hate xmas.

See? We even out. Now go forth and sin no more, or something like that. :lmao:

• Super Moderator

Finally realizing you don't have all the answers is the beginning of wisdom. When I was a gung-ho believer I had ALL the answers. Actually I was a blind, ignorant putz. I now at least have the opportunity to grow and learn rather than stagnate in superstition.

Just enjoy the freedom!

- Chris

Thank Pasta! I thought I was the only one here! (Only I'm not a republican anymore. I reregistered independent in '06 when the f-ers wanted to open the boarders after showing NO fiscal responsibility for the previous 6 years. I consider myself a conservative with libertarian tendencies.) Anyway, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only right-winger here. I was starting to feel pretty lonely.

As for the rest, I second ShackedNoMore's post.

Think whatever the facts lead to, and believe whatever your thoughts lead to. If other people don't agree, don't worry about it.

"I thought I was the only one here!"

One thing about republicans... great persecution complex... The real fruit loop conspiracy therories (from Reds Under the Bed of John Jesus Angleton to the ZOG sponsorship of 911 on the way to ushering in the NWO) are from the Right/Conservative end of politics... Everyone is trying to steal their stuff... apparently...

Guess this makes two of us! :D

1) I'm registered republican. The party was hijacked by the Religious right another reason to Vote for Romney in the GOP Primary, it will push them out of the party if that happens. They are religious bigots, what sweeter justice then to have a "Cult member" lead the party. :lmao: Their Mitt bashing is BS.

FWIW, I voted for Paul in the NH Primary.

Secondly, Bush does not represent many Republicans, only the nocon half which have a strong fascist flavor.. (well only *IF* their guy is in power, we'll see their heads explode once these same powers are given to a dem. LOL)

Socially I'm a liberal, that hasn't changed much since my deconversion, I tend to be more libertarian then republican but that party doesn't exist with any structure. I also don't care to attach myself with Anarchists.

2) I'm out to my whole family but not to my husbands.

3) I'm with ya.. I also sux ass at math. :P

4) Same here

5) same here..

No... I hate conforming to group think. I represent myself only I do not speak for any group. :grin:

When I first started frequenting these boards two or three years ago, I felt much the same, and would've been in much the same boat as you on points 1, 2, and 5. I initially got the impression that folks around here were a very liberal bunch, and that there was some expectation that an exchristian/atheist SHOULD necessarily be politically liberal. I've since learned that that's not the case, as there's quite a range of political views around here... though Republicans are certainly in the minority. I think this first impression was due to that Republican Persecution Complex that GH mentioned.

And now that several years have passed, I'd describe myself as more-or-less libertarian... but I find myself looking foreward to the coming Hillary/Obama regime. I'm really not sure if I'm nostalgic for the 90's (including the conspiracy-theory-culture mentioned by GH), or if I'm sub-conciously rooting for the Democrats (I'm definitely not as opposed to lots of their ideas as I was several years ago). I guess I'll just wait it out and see.

And there's definitely no reason to feel guilty about celebrating Ex-mas. Saturnalia is the reason for the season. The Christians stole that pagan holiday... and I've got no qualms about stealing it right back.

Thanks for the good advice, sparrow!

thanks to everyone else too, of course!

I don't at all like how the republican party has chained itself to evangelical Christianity. i'm from Arkansas, and I think we all know what that means...and no, I will not vote for Huckabee.

We don't need a hybrid preacher/politician leading our nation. BAD combination.

I'm also really bothered by some politicians actually admitting that they do not accept evolution. Um...the whole legitimate scientific community does, so...what's your holdout?

Japedo, yes, i think it would be positively wonderful for a "cult" member to become president. The Christians would cry their eyes out. LOL

(btw, one of my best friends is Mormon and the only major difference I see between them and mainstream Christians is Mormons are much nicer!)

Don't worry, supporting the Republican party doesn't make you a bad atheist. Just a bad person.

I'm kidding!!

:HaHa:

Don't feel bad, decafaholic. I still don't really know where I fit on the disbelief spectrum as of late.

I guess that makes a bad unbeliever. :fdevil:

I'm not atheist, but I tell ya what.....

I love all of my bad atheist friends on here! Oh hell, the good ones too! :grin:

Don't worry, supporting the Republican party doesn't make you a bad atheist. Just a bad person.

I'm kidding!!

:HaHa:

LOL :grin:

Bigger explanation:

Now that I think about it, most of my family doesn't know. Doesn't bother me much. In fact, I don't think they care much either anymore. I've always sucked at math. Sometimes I'm good at some science subjects if they spark my interest enough, but as for the rest of them, I suck like hell and they seem to bore me. Math -- don't even let me try -- I think the only thing I'm good at is remembering some of the formulas for Geometry because they've shoved it in my head for so long. Most of my friends are Christian too. And that doesn't bother me because they are rather cool about it and don't shove their religion on me. And as for Christmas -- It's always been something that I've never really thought about too much. Just another family gathering where we bullshit each other and I sit back and enjoy. Sometimes I get stuff, but I more like to give -- that is just who I am.

Doesn't bother me much.

And as for the whole not understanding how the universe works -- I can't deny the whole idea that something (maybe a higher power of some sort? but definitely not some damned hypocritical god) might be out there because I'm admitting the fact that I don't know. So there.