Goodbye Jesus

Explain About Getting 'slain In The Spirit' Please

ogilvy

when i went to pentecostal meetings, wanting something supernatural to happen to me, nothing ever did. i later came to be glad of that, because i came to think it was 'of the devil', or 'of the flesh', but never 'of God'. just a guy feeling. at a toronto blessing meeting i seemed to be the only one left standing up! at that meeting i didnt think people were faking it, but i would like to know from people who had it, what was it? did you have control over it? were you pushed? at meetings i sometimes saw the 'annointed person', push someone. and i thought it was silly the way they had 'catchers', because i dont imagine they did it that way in bible times, t hough i could be wrong, but i hope not. the effect it had on me, including people giving messages 'from God', was one of revulsion, because i didnt think it was anything to do with God. at that stage i still thought signs and wonders were meant to happen these days, and there was no better chuch to go to in the town i lived in, which is the reason i didnt leave sooner.

They weren't faking it; they just happened to believe in it so strongly that they exaggerated what they were actually feeling (being pushed) until it became an expression of what the "preacher" wanted it to be. I remember when I was involved in denominations like that. I was young and impressionable; and, when they would lay hands on me to pray for me, my mind overreacted to the sensation, making me jump to the conclusion that the uncomfortable feeling of strangers touching me was actually God's Spirit entering me (an example of displacement in psychology). Subsequently, I would manifest symptoms, such as "speaking in tongues". I came to understand that these things don't happen today. The purpose for the Holy Ghost is now one of inspiration and guidance, rather than one of miraculous signs (as I personally believe it was in the New Testament and Old Testament days). The "manifestations" of the power of the Spirit are a combination of a low to moderate-grade hysteria, and various explainable events for which there are many different explanations, if one is thinking with an open mind. This in no way negates the Spirit; rather, it rationalizes It's interactions with people today: it is no longer necessary to have miracles occur all the time (though it is sometimes necessary still), so the miracles diminished. Thus, the Spirit is focused more today on inspiration and guidance, rather than miracles.

I also would like to remind you, though I'm sure that you already know, that there is a difference between meaningless or irrational entertainment, and the substance of the message. I mean no disrespect; it just seems that you were going to the church because of the lively events (and the possibility of a miracle in your life), rather than for the quality and scriptural accuracy of the message. There were, for example, no people to catch those filled with the Spirit, in the New Testament days. They never swooned to unconsciousness, or lost their strength so drastically. There were people to catch the people who suddenly died, and drag them away, but they were not "filled with the Spirit". As for being "slain in the spirit", that refers to the passage in Acts, where the first believers added to the disciples were "pricked" or "slain" in the spirit, and asked, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?". This slaying of the spirit is actually meant to refer to the sudden realization of the truth of the Gospel, not being so struck with the Holy Spirit that you pass out or fall onto the floor... let alone convulse.

-D-

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• ogilvy

• Antlerman

• SWIM

They weren't faking it; they just happened to believe in it so strongly that they exaggerated what they were actually feeling (being pushed) until it became an expression of what the "preacher" wanted it to be. I remember when I was involved in denominations like that. I was young and impressionable; and, when they would lay hands on me to pray for me, my mind overreacted to the sensation, making me jump to the conclusion that the uncomfortable feeling of strangers touching me was actually God's Spirit entering me (an example of displacement in psychology). Subsequently, I would manifest symptoms, such as "speaking in tongues". I came to understand that these things don't happen today. The purpose for the Holy Ghost is now one of inspiration and guidance, rather than one of miraculous signs (as I personally believe it was in the New Testament and Old Testament days). The "manifestations" of the power of the Spirit are a combination of a low to moderate-grade hysteria, and various explainable events for which there are many different explanations, if one is thinking with an open mind. This in no way negates the Spirit; rather, it rationalizes It's interactions with people today: it is no longer necessary to have miracles occur all the time (though it is sometimes necessary still), so the miracles diminished. Thus, the Spirit is focused more today on inspiration and guidance, rather than miracles.

I also would like to remind you, though I'm sure that you already know, that there is a difference between meaningless or irrational entertainment, and the substance of the message. I mean no disrespect; it just seems that you were going to the church because of the lively events (and the possibility of a miracle in your life), rather than for the quality and scriptural accuracy of the message. There were, for example, no people to catch those filled with the Spirit, in the New Testament days. They never swooned to unconsciousness, or lost their strength so drastically. There were people to catch the people who suddenly died, and drag them away, but they were not "filled with the Spirit". As for being "slain in the spirit", that refers to the passage in Acts, where the first believers added to the disciples were "pricked" or "slain" in the spirit, and asked, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?". This slaying of the spirit is actually meant to refer to the sudden realization of the truth of the Gospel, not being so struck with the Holy Spirit that you pass out or fall onto the floor... let alone convulse.

-D-

thanks, thats very helpful. you're right, when i went to all those meetings it was from curiosity, and i came to find it all very repulsive. however i was limited in the choice od churches in my area, and found the preaching to be interesting in the assembly of God church so i stayed there a while, although very uncomfotable with the, as i saw it, faked messges from God, tongues, words of knowledge, and slaying in the spirit. when i left that church and started at another one, soon after, the toronto blessing hit the town, and all the churches were influenced by it. i did think at that time that signs and wonders were meant to happen according to the bible, but i no way thought ANYTHING i had yet witnessed was a genuine sign or miracle from God. thats why i asked these questions. i then went to a church in another town, which was what i guess is called fundamentalist, and from that to a Brethren Assembly, which was the best one i've ever found. over 20 years i changed in what i was looking for, and at the end was looking for a closer relationship with Jesus. now everythings up in the air and i dont know what to believe. anyway thanks for the responses.

Slap me with a week dead Haddock but the Rev just posted something GOOD!

"They weren't faking it; they just happened to believe in it so strongly that they exaggerated what they were actually feeling (being pushed) until it became an expression of what the "preacher" wanted it to be."

OK, it's only one sentence but it does show the normal distribution curve has a far end, and sometimes odd things do happen...

Slap me with a week dead Haddock but the Rev just posted something GOOD!

"They weren't faking it; they just happened to believe in it so strongly that they exaggerated what they were actually feeling (being pushed) until it became an expression of what the "preacher" wanted it to be."

OK, it's only one sentence but it does show the normal distribution curve has a far end, and sometimes odd things do happen...

What exactly is a haddock? Some kind of fish?

Anyway, it just goes to show you: I do have a nice side to me... :grin:

-D-

*sigh*

No... you've not proved a 'nice' side... it's the infinite number of monkeys and the script of 'Hamlet'... sooner or later one will type something from the second folio. You hit it early. I don't expect to see an equivalent to 'that is the question' any time soon...

And for the future... Google is your friend. Yes a haddock is a fish.

Don't get cocky kid...