Goodbye Jesus

Taoism

PandaPirate

Who here is interested in Taoism and has a good bit of knowledge on the subject?

I'm interested...

I studied it a lot in college and later in life, have a lot of links on my computer, and have the Tao on podcasts to listen to while walking and driving. Plenty of resources on the web and books.

Would you mind giving us a quick run down of your views on the subject? I intend to look up sources on it, but I would like to hear from some personally acquainted with it.

Done some looking in the past, haven't done extensive studies in modern Taoism, though. Interesting thoughts in the Tao Te Ching, when I read it.

taoism in a nutshell..

Water does not go through the rock, it goes around the rock. The path of least resistance.

Interested in it. And have a tiny bit of knowledge about it.

Basically I've read the Tao te Ching and those books called 'Tao of Pooh' and 'Te of Piglet' :D

The main point of Taoism seems to be - to be yourself, don't try and force things to be other than what they are, work with nature not against it. That sort of thing. A pretty groovy philosophy really.

Then there's that stuff about the 'way' of nature - that it gives while not requiring anything in return, it does not do anything and yet nothing is left undone - and that we should emulate that.

I'm very fond of the thought in the Tao te Ching. I think it's quite a useful philosophy.

taoism in a nutshell..

Water does not go through the rock, it goes around the rock. The path of least resistance.

but in going round the rock, it eventually gets to go the shortest path, since the rock is worn away....

I have an interest in it. I've read the Tao Te Ching several times...different translations.

I found Taoism to be a refreshing addition to my life. I highly recommend Diane Dreher's book "The tao of inner peace"

To me, the teachings made sense. And there was no person or thing to worship. Tao teaches, as in many 'eastern' religions that everything is connected, and seeing that connection, feeling it. It has made me more sensitive to many many things, people, nature, everything.

Another book, not about taoism but it explores the ideas of it without naming the name, is "Way of the peaceful warrior". Some people have said it has changed their lives. If you don't want to go buy a bunch of books you might not like check some out from a library, then if you really enjoy it buy yourself a copy. I call my tao book my bible. Even if it doesn't have an answer I always fond something to help me handle going through a situation within its pages.

Let us know what you discover!

Big fan of Taosim (what scholars call Philosophical Taoism, not the Religious Taoism that is steeped in superstition and magic).

Once football season is over, I'll be going back to my other avatar, which is the Yin/Yang with four sets of sunbeams radiating out of it.

I am drawn to the interplay of opposites, the natural balance built into everything, where as soon as you reach the zenith of one thing, its opposite is already growing inside it. Every situation has a correct action, but no one action is correct in every given situation.

There were more useful things that came out of the mystical Taoist aspect than most other religions can claim, mostly because of a school of Eastern Alchemy that came out of it (helloooo gunpowder). Bear in mind that this is before proper chemistry and alchemy split.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I'm a practicer of Taoism myself, so I'm really enjoying seeing what everyone has to say on it. I know that it has had a profound influence in my life lately, and I'm much happier than I've been in years.

I saw a lot of people saying that they've read the Tao Te Ching. My favorite version is the newest copy by Derek Lin. He's a very intelligent guy, and speaks Chinese natively and English well, so it is not as confusing or mistranslated as many tend to be.

I also attend a temple meeting every Sunday afternoon. We link up with the Taoist temple in LA and discuss the Tao as well as hear lessons on it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have listened to Dr Dyer's new Tao CD. It is very good but I really have to have the time and concentration to listen to it all. I am interested in Taoism and Buddhism. I took Buddhism in college (when I was still an xtian lol) and really enjoyed it. I remember a student asked the teacher if he was Buddhist and he said no I am Taoist. I remember thinking what? Now I know. I really find it easier to apply to my life and follow than total Buddhism. They both have good priciples to live by none the less.

I have decided to get a tattoo to mark the start of my new life as an ex-xtian. A blue lotus flower to symbolize an awakening and path to enlightenment (not necessarily in the Buddhist sense but more of a symbol of seeking...beyond xtianity).

Colette

A good simple book to read about Taoism that's very good and might help you if you'd like to learn more about the principles to live by is "The Tao of Daily Life" by Derek Lin. It's very good and the author really knows what he's talking about.

Alexlady I have to tell you that I really like your naked angel signature.

Is that Tao? :grin:

LR, not answering for Alexylady, but it would seem the scene of the angel is very much Tao.

"Who can break from the snares of the world

And sit with me among the white clouds?"

- Han-shan (a.k.a Cold Mountain)

:grin:

Has anyone read Wayne Dyer's new book on the Tao?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/140.../hayhousecom-20

I have the DVD, saw the PBS show, have the book. Change Your Thoughts, Change You Life

been following Wayne Dyer's work 15 years now, he gets more and more interesting as time goes on. may not be true reality, but it's a good sugar coating LOL

The most fascinating book I've ever read on eastern philosophy was waaaaay back in the 70's by Bagwan Shree Rashneesh (spelling?). It was called "If the Shoe Fits" and it was a wonderful explantion of the Tao. In a nutshell, his take was that if the shoe fits, you don't notice the shoe. He was regarded in some circles (hint: xtian) as a con, but his philosophy was sound.

BTW, I haven't seen our own resident Buddhist, Rev. Jun in a while. Anyone know what happened?

I haven't seen our own resident Buddhist, Rev. Jun in a while. Anyone know what happened?

I don't know Par4, but I was wondering the same thing.

Where is Jun?

Jun's not really hanging out on forums too much anymore. Meatspace is keeping him pretty busy.

Guest spoonface

I'm finally starting to look into Taoism on a gradual basis. It seems to promote the same ideals I adhered to when I was living as a sincere Christian. The concepts that I've read so far are excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest like WOAH its Mia!

Taoism is an awesome philosophy! I've read The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet; they're both great books. I don't know if everyone remembers me, but I posted my testimony about leaving the JW faith and becoming a "born again" christian. I don't know if I'm agnostic anymore. I know I don't like the Christian god. For some reason I just don't consider god as a personal being that interferes in daily activities. If there is a "god" I think it's more like a force. I like the idea of "The One" and "The All". Hmmm, I think I lean more towards Transcendentalism/Pantheism/Taoism...

I mean, after I stopped praying, things just sort of made more sense. I felt a sense of peace. I know it's weird, because christians say praying is supposed to give you peace. But the opposite happened to me. Once I stopped seeing God as something outside of us, and starting viewing the universe as one, then I didn't have to call out to some unseen force for help. After I became disillusioned with all religion, I remember the only spirituality I ever felt was when I went outside and looked at nature. Maybe that's why "see you at the pole" feels so great. It's not the praying, it's being outside, closing your eyes, and feeling like you're connected to something.