Goodbye Jesus

Whadjya Do With All The Stuff?

Sophronia

What did you do with your Christian stuff once you decided that it was not for you?

As for myself, I got rid of a bunch of Pagan books when I converted to xtianity, and ended up being sorry. So I've tried not be overly hasty with my Christian stuff... I'm not getting rid of it all; I do like to collect books and am saving a few Bibles and mystic-Christianity type stuff like "The way of a Pilgrim".

Yet there is a big grocery-bag full of xtian books in my living room, looking for a new home. Bibles, devotional books, 'CHARISMA OF THE HOLY SPIRIT', hymnals... all just vibrating with the energy of the Holy Spook. I listed it on a local "freecycle" network and have gotten a couple of reponses. It will be interesting to meet the person who wants these books. I look forward to finding them a new home.

Anyone else give stuff away? Burn the Bible? Just take it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army? Tell The Story Of The Stuff here! Lawd knows, there's plenty of it, as Christian publishing (along with gift-type bling) is a HUGE industry!

Goodbye Jesus
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Sophronia

• Vendredie

• GraphicsGuy

Anyone else give stuff away? Burn the Bible? Just take it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army? Tell The Story Of The Stuff here! Lawd knows, there's plenty of it, as Christian publishing (along with gift-type bling) is a HUGE industry!

Box the stuff up and take it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. They will take anything. If you know someone who is a Christian, you could offer it to them first.

Personally, I hate the Christian gift-type bling. Even when I used to call myself a Christian.

Sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Most of my xian stuff was books, and I cant bring myself to toss books out.

Tossed my Bibles in the dumpster outside my apartment. I should have done something more with them such as burning or tearing them up maybe.

My ex kept most of my Xian books...which is fine I guess...except she has my "Song of Albion" series.

I still have all my Xian CDs and I have visions of taking them out for target practice with a shotgun eventually...I just don't have a gun nor do I know anyone who has one...yet...

I gave some things to my aunt, who knows that I'm an atheist, but hasn't given me a hard time about it. I have burned personal journals that I kept during my "walk with Jesus/Yeshua". Going through the attic before xmas, I found some videos and commentaries that I'm giving to Goodwill...(my MIL gave them to me...were her father's)

I still have 2 music CD's that I can't let go of...they're sung in Hebrew and it's just beautiful music. I also have at least 4 bibles. One bible was the last I bought (Hebrew/Greek Keyword) which I keep around when I need to research. Another is my father's Mason's bible that I grew up with and the other two are ages old that were passed to us from my husbands grandparents (sentimental to him and what-not). I've also kept all my wall crosses....they are stone and wood and have beautiful designs carved into them.

2 words: Big Bonfire.

Actually, I still have a number of antiquey and Greek Orthodox-type icons displayed around the house... I just like them artistically.

But I also have a large pantheon of statues and print depictions of many other deities from around the world. So Jesus is just kinda part of the crowd... typical Pagan eh!?

I have no less than seven copies of My Utmost For His Highest! I've thrown most of the really wacky stuff out but have kept about 5 bookshelves worth. Figure as long as I have 'em they can't hurt anyone else, save that my dad is always borrowing from my stash. He's all into the Suma right now. Wish he'd pick up some RD off my shelf instead but ah well.

BTW Glad to be back on the boards! Bio Dad passed away last week so I was in Texas for the funeral. My presence will be sparse as I catch up on school work. Looks like I missed out on a good week here.

While bonfires might be cathartic, I'm a big fan of recouping as much of the money you originally spent on that crap as possible. Half-Price Books first, Goodwill second. Or a garage sale. But at least get a tax write-off if you can.

I threw my Bible in the garbage. At first I felt kind of sad because it was a gift from my mom when I was a kid, but that kid is now long gone....

I've been wondering about this myself.

Only problem is that the larger bibles have my family tree stuff in them and other personal things I've written.

but I'll probably do some spring cleaning shortly and give them to the Salvation Army or something like that.

UNLESS of course any of you heathens want it!!!! :lmao:

Even though we were only allowed to retain 10 books and cassettes at a time (and couldn't donate them to the Chaplain's Library), I usually got 4-5 new books per month and 3 new Bibles per year, sending them home for safe-keeping, making room for more and getting prepared for when I would blaze the world for Christ upon release. I purchased most of these from a retired minister from upstate NY, but a lot of organizations would donate materials promoting their particular 'flavor' of the cult for free to prisoners, and I got a lot of those too.

Upon getting 'reborn' in the spirit in 1999 at my last joint (I say 'reborn, because Xianity was not a new experience for me, but the Holy Rollers and Rhema-ists there couldn't accept anything but a new conversion; for me, it was a re-energizing and refreshing of what I had learned previously), I threw out all of the Tao and I Ching books I had accumulated and memorized (one special thing I had managed to keep through 4 institutions and 10 years was a large folder that I typed out from a special I Ching book that I knew of since college-had to get it on loan from the Library of Congress), all of the Positive Mental Attitude books that I read and taught, and all the non-Faith music on cassettes.

Upon release, I had a large box waiting for me and lovingly looked at every one. Now that these few years have passed, and couldn't find a church, and therapy has helped me see that I didn't really have a belief (just wonderful mental exercise), I gave a lot of it away. I have kept a few very special items, but even these I have offered to give to Mulls if he wanted them. Any studies I want to do I can do on the internet, and even have eSword on my cellphone (a program I have only opened twice in the last year).

The only thing really sentimental was a Bible that a friend had given me, one that I had used as my standard Bible, one that I had wrote a lot of notes in using a lot of post-em notes. My last 30 days I was transferred to a pre-release center at the local jail (known for really jerk guards); my last week, one of them saw the post-em notes, and threw the Bible away. I think that one act 'hardened my heart' to the Faith; too much work to duplicate.

To Telesmith:

BTW Glad to be back on the boards! Bio Dad passed away last week so I was in Texas for the funeral. My presence will be sparse as I catch up on school work. Looks like I missed out on a good week here.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Condolences

I have two old bibles laying around, everything else just sort of evaporated away over time.

I was pressured pretty heavily to write in my bible, take notes in the margins, underline and highlight passages. I resisted: call it a quirk or just the way I operate, but I've never written in a book in my life. If I had marked it up like many of the people in my church did, I kinda wonder if I could have sold it if I wanted to.

Books - throwing them away one or two a week. I don't like to throw away books but I cannot stand the idea of someone picking some of this crap up and changing their life for the worse with it. John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life may get burned for the symbolism though. Don't waste your life indeed.

Bibles - probably keep them. It would be too obvious to other family members if they were missing.

I still have all my Xian CDs and I have visions of taking them out for target practice with a shotgun eventually...I just don't have a gun nor do I know anyone who has one...yet...

CDs make decent coasters... ;)

I still have several bibles, which I plan to keep. The bible is way more fun to read now that I'm an atheist. diablotin.gif

I also have a crucifix that was a gift from a dear friend who is now deceased. I can't part with it and I suppose it will always hang on my wall.

for 20 years i only read christian books. i started and finsihed each day with the bible. but in the last 6 months i started to not like reading the bible. every place i opened up at seemed to be God ranting about the horrible things he would do to people, and i would quickly shut it and put it back on the shelf. instead i would pick up my book of amazing cattle dog stories and read bits from that. recently i read the first novel ive read in 20 years, a Terry Pratchett dscworld novel. now i've read 3 of them, and just started on John Grisham 'the Rainmaker'. i've brought in a carton and started putting some of my precious christian books in it to put in the shed while i decide what to do with them. i liked the puritan writers. theres one book by Pink, the Sovreignty of God, which helped to turn my love away from God. this Pink guy sounds so harsh himself, as he goes into God's sovreignty regarding salvation, that some are chosen to be vessels of wrath. that was the point that got me started, thinking, 'well why did he create us in the first place then, if most people are doomed to hell??' i guess there's no point in keeping my favorite books. and i had to make room for the discworld books.

I burned my baptism certificate. That was a wonderful, nay even glorious moment. :)

I gave most of them away, but I kept the very special annotated study bible for when I dress up like nun on Halloween and act like an asshole, walking around with it closed in one hand and shouting like a maniac. I only have two costumes, a devil costume and a nun costume.

I get some good laughs sometimes, and others, they look at me like a lunatic. Both are the results I'm looking for.

I just realized I'm an asshole sometimes.

I had a stack of old, falling apart bibles that I'd hung onto for years because I didn't know how to respectfully get rid of them. It became easy real fast-into the trash with no pangs of guilt.

It's hard for me to throw away books too. I have so many christian books I have collected over a lot of years. Nice shape, too. Lots of hardbacks. I can't give them away though. I feel like that would be giving my heroin stash to an addict after I had given it up. If it's bad for me, it's bad for everybody. I just have to get over the grief of throwing away books that look so nice on the outside.

Books: My ex kept most of them. I think there's still a few hanging around here somewhere, but not nearly the collection I had.

Bibles: Damned if I know. They just sort of evaporated. There's nary a bible to be found in this place and hasn't for probably two years or more.

CD's: Gave them all to a friend.

Trinkets and shit: Never really had that sort of thing. Never was a trinkety kind of person.

MP3's: Working in Christian radio for so many years, I had "backed up" the entire music libraries of several Christian radio stations over the years onto hard drive. I still have all that music and until about four months ago still listened to some of it occasionally. Now it just takes up space. I've been thinking about deleting it all. Sure would free up some space on my server (about 80 gig worth!). Now I'm kicking myself for not "backing up" the libraries of some of the secular stations I worked for, though I have about 18,000 songs of pretty much every major genre and artist available to me at my present place of employment :unsure:

I only ever owned one Bible that I got for my eleventh birthday. By the time I turned my back on it all, it was falling apart. So it received the same treatment as any other book that's too far gone to be repaired - it went out with the garbage.

I have quite a few bibles and concordances... I quite like the Lamsa bible, since it gives an insight to the Orthodox Church... but I like my Dore illustrated KJV best :) It has ladies with their boobies out!

I have quite a few bibles and concordances... I quite like the Lamsa bible, since it gives an insight to the Orthodox Church... but I like my Dore illustrated KJV best :) It has ladies with their boobies out!

:o why have I never seen one of these!?

Are you going to scan and upload a sample for us? Share the gospel!!!!!!!

Yard Sale, gave away and threw away the rest.

I gave what was decent to a charity shop and threw the rest away.

I had sooo much shit....rosary beads, prayer books, crucifixes....

I poured my holy water in the flower bed in our garen. Nothing special has grown there yet...

I sometimes wonder how the fuck I bought so much of their crap. It was pretty horrible getting rid of it all cos I'm a bit of a hoarder. On the plus side I no longer have to move the picture of Mary and turn in upside down when I have a wank. Oh, Catholic guilt!

Sorry, too much information. :HaHa: