Goodbye Jesus

I Have To Give A Devotion....

Telesmith

As many of you know I go to a evangelical Christian university (I'm aware of the oxymoron). Many times there will be a devotion before class begins. well, I have to give a devotion on Feb 11. Completely clueless as to how and get out of this one alive. Oh, BTW I also have to pray for that day. Any suggestions?

Sure. If you think about it, what are your peers and your instructors wanting to hear from you? You're competing for a grade. Give them what they want and be done with it.

No one is disappointed with encouragement. We can all use an encouraging word. Who says it has to be something deeply religious? There are many stories from Christian (and non-Christian) authors that are uplifting. If you can focus on the fact that you're encouraging your classmates and your instructor, especially in a way THEY agree with and support, you can't go wrong. Find a topic or story you agree with on a human and moral level and go for it.

As far as praying, THEY believe in it. They're expecting you to pray. They want you to pray. Your grade depends upon the fact that you pray. Do it. Accomplish your mission and be on to bigger and better things.

In the situation you find yourself in, it's all about a perception and getting the job done. You're jumping through their hoops in everything you do anyway. Just one more hoop to jump through so you can get your degree and move on. Play the game! Give it your best and be done with it.

Good luck!

Same situation Ive been in, as much as I hate to I still pray when called on. The least I can do is make it more of a general "wish" for well being or thanks for other things. That way I dont directly invoke their deity yet I dont disrespect their traditions. Id still rather not have to at all, but consider it from an anthropological standpoint your just indulging in the native customs.

It's a play... you don't need to believe to do it...

Give them a secular outlook of encouragement, compare a golden rule of christianity to the same rule by Buddha and Hindu. The golden rule is universal, not just a Christian rule of morals. If you are leading a prayer that day, give them a few moments to reflect in silece upon world events.

P.S. (and try not to laugh)

As many of you know I go to a evangelical Christian university (I'm aware of the oxymoron). Many times there will be a devotion before class begins. well, I have to give a devotion on Feb 11. Completely clueless as to how and get out of this one alive. Oh, BTW I also have to pray for that day. Any suggestions?

I've thought about this for a while, and honestly, if it was me in your situation, I wouldn't do it.

I'd make up some story if I liked the people who were asking me, or something else, but somehow .... I'd find a way to avoid it.

I'd nearly drop out for being forced to do it.

Either way, whatever you choose, good luck.

Thanks

Spatz

Well, maybe I'm just naive and inexperienced. I watched The Four Horsemen the other day. Richard Dawkins said he says grace at social functions when asked. He said, "What's wrong with repeating a meaningless batch of gibberish?" I guess he's doing it for a religion that does it in Latin, maybe RC. I would opt for the Doc's suggestion. That is how I approached church the last while that I attended. And Kenny's style can't go wrong.

Telesmith, if you read Kenny's story, you'll know that he's a pro at this and does it every day the church doors are open.

• Super Moderator

You are already leading a double life because you decided it's worth it. Pretend you are on an undercover assignment and just play along. Apparently this is no time to be honest with them. Give them the show they want.

Good luck and God be with you.

See? Not so hard!

- Chris

You are already leading a double life because you decided it's worth it. Pretend you are on an undercover assignment and just play along. Apparently this is no time to be honest with them. Give them the show they want.

Good luck and God be with you.

See? Not so hard!

- Chris

For just half a sec you actually had me fooled there. It sounds so "natural"--and if that's the case in THIS context, how much more so must it be in an evangelical university. Disconnect feelings and intellect for the fifteen to twenty minutes to get it over with and no one will be the wiser for it. They will get their fuzzies and you will get your grade.

Of course, if there's an honest way to get your grade without going through this, I'd recommend it. The peace of mind will be worth it--if the consequences (hasslement from fellow students and staff and faculty) aren't going to mess up your day to day life and jeopardize your degree.

Worried you will be "unfaithfull" to athiesm? It is a natural response after YEARS of being taught to defend what you believe in, but you have to realize that was an old mindset.

The god of atheism is not going to hit you in the face with a pie if you don't "spread his non-existant word".

Think of it as acting. Heath Ledger was not gay, yet he had no problem portraying one in a movie. Think of it like that, go for an Oscar, you may even get an A plus. If you are *really* creative you can mix in some truth that will make them think a bit more too.

Well, there's no consequence to pretending to be a theist for a while, so you can do what you want.

My advice is that you pick something in scripture that you think is a good idea (helping others, not judging others) and use that as a basis for what you write.

If you start with, "In his letter to Galations, St. Paul writes that..." and go from there, I don't think anybody is going to notice...