Goodbye Jesus

More Christian Absurdity!

Gobbler

From time to time I like watching the local christian channel TCT just to get some laughs. I usually like to watch the show "Ask the Pastor's" just to hear some of their absurd answers. What I heard today made me almost choke on the ramen I was eating! In answer to one caller about bible truths... "The bible has been historically and scientifically proven to be true so you can have ultimate trust in what it teaches. Over two thousand prophecies have come true!" Huh! Where did he get that information? Another caller had a question about god's covenant and the number of wives the old patriarchs had. It was explained that the male patriarchs were circumsized as a covenant to god so therefore the woman had to attach herself to the male who was circumsized in order to be covenated with god! It couldn't be done on her own worth as a human being! Yet what really made me choke was the answer given by one of the lady pastors. She said that what she was about to say wasn't in the bible yet she believed it with her whole heart. "When jesus was born he broke Mary's hymen thereby allowing everyone to covenated to god." WTF? Explain that to me please just how that works? Do these people listen to themselves? UGH!!!!

From time to time I like watching the local christian channel TCT just to get some laughs. I usually like to watch the show "Ask the Pastor's" just to hear some of their absurd answers. What I heard today made me almost choke on the ramen I was eating! In answer to one caller about bible truths... "The bible has been historically and scientifically proven to be true so you can have ultimate trust in what it teaches. Over two thousand prophecies have come true!" Huh! Where did he get that information? Another caller had a question about god's covenant and the number of wives the old patriarchs had. It was explained that the male patriarchs were circumsized as a covenant to god so therefore the woman had to attach herself to the male who was circumsized in order to be covenated with god! It couldn't be done on her own worth as a human being! Yet what really made me choke was the answer given by one of the lady pastors. She said that what she was about to say wasn't in the bible yet she believed it with her whole heart. "When jesus was born he broke Mary's hymen thereby allowing everyone to covenated to god." WTF? Explain that to me please just how that works? Do these people listen to themselves? UGH!!!!

I've seen that show too, and I agree with your take on it. Seems the absurdity only increases when there's a committee involved! I've been tempted to send in a few questions myself, although they'd probably never make it on the air! Actually I stumbled across the show by accident - I was flipping through the channels one night, and I saw a face that looked strangely familiar. Turns out it was one of the shows taped in Buffalo, NY, and "Pastor O'Dell" was a high school classmate of mine! I'll probably see him this summer at our 35th reunion. Don't think I'll bring up this subject, though - other than usually doing the dinner blessing, he hasn't pushed the religion thing on anyone there. Actually he's always been a rather quiet, soft-spoken person, and I enjoy talking to him.