Goodbye Jesus

I Am In Telemarketing Hell

Mike D

I got a new phone number a few weeks ago and I don't know what the deal is, but even though I signed up for the do not call list the 2nd day I got the number, I am getting up to 15 calls a day that show up as "out of area" on my caller ID. The calls start right at 9 AM and keep going until sometimes 8 PM at night. I know they are telemarketers because twice I made the mistake of answering the phone and had to listen to some jackass go on and on about water softners.

What can I do about this, I am about ready to have my phone disconnected already and just use my cellphone! :angry: :brutal_01:

I keep getting calls from the fucking credit companies wanting to give me their latest card at a "low introductory rate."

I guess it is mostly poor saps just doing their jobs, but come on...

What can I do about this, I am about ready to have my phone disconnected already and just use my cellphone! :angry: :brutal_01:

Thats what I did...no regrets. Just make sure everyone who needs your number has it.

I got a new phone number a few weeks ago and I don't know what the deal is, but even though I signed up for the do not call list the 2nd day I got the number, I am getting up to 15 calls a day that show up as "out of area" on my caller ID. The calls start right at 9 AM and keep going until sometimes 8 PM at night. I know they are telemarketers because twice I made the mistake of answering the phone and had to listen to some jackass go on and on about water softners.

I got really mad and told one: "If I ever get my hands on you, I am gonna beat you to death!" In a very psychotic way... Now, I don't know if it's legal to do that, but I was in a really shitty mood and didn't care. I did that to three other ones before, never got in any trouble, but they don't call you anymore. Not the same one anyway.

Man I know that sucks. I get those calls all the time even though I am on a DNC list. If you happen to answer the phone, tell them you rent, even if you don't, they usually want to talk to a homeowner and will take you off their list. If it's something else, tell them you are house sitting for a friend and you are under 18, they will get off the phone with you right away. At least for me, it's better than being rude to them.

The only problem is I have the landline is just as a backup in case my broadband goes down and I can still work using dial-up. Also for local calls it's clearer than my cellphone and doesn't drop, so for the $12 a month or whatever it was worth it. It's just annoying that I pay for the phone because I want to call people, not because I want to be disturbed every 20 minutes by a ringing phone and having to drop everything to see who it is. They should give me the phone for no charge to have to deal with this much unsolicited advertising!

I get those calls all the time even though I am on a DNC list.

You have to ask, what's the point of a DNC list if the telemarketers ignore it!? :twitch:

You have my condolences, Mike.

I don't really have any wisdom to give you, but perhaps I can pass along a good laugh.

Listen to this site. If you have the cojones(sp) you can give it a try yourself. If not, you can think about it as you're subjected to relentless telemarketing. At the very least, it should bring a smile to your face.

*Disclaimer* The linked site produces audio with subtitles. Some if it might not be work-area friendly but it's good for a laugh! Just select a bogus birth date and give it a listen.

Listen to this site.

Ha, that was pretty good, although that telemarketer was dumber than dirt. Not that I would expect otherwise...

That's why we have an answering machine, so if anyone calls that actually has something important to say, they can always leave a message to call them back if it's really important. That way we never have to talk to the telemarketers.

You have to ask, what's the point of a DNC list if the telemarketers ignore it!? :twitch:

I'm not sure of my facts here because I'm just going on memory, but I think the idea is that once you are on the national DNC list for a reasonable period of time, if a legitimate telemarketer calls you, get their information and they will be subject to a fine. I think, although I'm not sure, the fine even gets paid to you.

I don't know why you're getting so many telemarketing calls but, now that I think about it, perhaps I do have some wisdom to give to you.

The person who had my cellphone number before me must have been a big-time 'wannabe'. I kept getting telemarketers asking about investments and other moneymaking bull. After getting sick of all the calls, I started a new strategy. As soon as I heard the start of a pitch, I'd interrupt and ask the name of the company being represented. Then I'd ask for the name of the telemarketing company. Then I'd finally tell them that I was not the person they associated with that phone number and then ask to be placed on their DNC list. That usually shut them up and I've hardly been called at all in the last couple of years. One key point is that you MUST keep a record of the information that you get from them. If they call you again within a year, you have a right to charge them a fine (assuming that you're in the U.S. That much I do know.). Also, actually write down the info that they give you. (I keep a paper on my fridge for such calls!) Not only does it make them nervous that you're taking down their information, you can actually use it against them later.

The key point is that when you tell a real live 'human' telemarketer that you want to be on the DNC list, THEY HAVE TO STOP THEIR PITCH! Any other dodge to avoid their telemarketing kicks in a preplanned response but the "put me on your DNC list" is supposed to be inviolate. (I once went thru a rough time in life and tried out for a telemarketing job. I'm pretty sure I'm correct here.) But stating plainly, "Put me on your Do Not Call list" is an immediate show stopper. At least, it's supposed to be.

On the other hand, you can have some fun, as my previous linked site demonstrates. As for myself, before I hit upon my current technique, I had a couple of fun calls. I noticed that several of these telemarketers, after being informed that they were talking to the wrong guy, tried to turn a 'wrong number' into a sales opportunity. Once I noticed this trend, I made this remark to a couple of poor bozos, "Excuse me. Are you trying to turn a wrong number into a sales pitch? How F***ing low can you get?!? How do you get up in the morning and look at yourself in the mirror?" For some reason, this always caused them to hang up on the few occasions I used it!

At any rate, I weakly suggest that you keep your phone and its number. Be prepared for a couple of years of B.S., but I think you can win the fight. Just keep a list of who calls you, start your conversation with the phrase "I'd like to be on your Do Not Call list", and make sure your number is on the national DNC list. This technique has worked fairly well for me. Also, look up any info on the national DNC list. Know your rights.

OBJ

P.S. All advice is based on telemarketing in the United States.

Both spouse and I have our cell phones on the federal DNC list. We've only received a handful of telemarketing calls. I usually just don't answer them. If someone I want to talk to calls, I'll usually have their number programmed into my phone anyway, and I'll see it on my caller ID screen. If it's a number I don't recognize, I won't answer it.

Back when we still had a landline, I put the number on the DNC list. Then I recorded an outgoing message that not only had the standard "Hi, thanks for calling" spiel, but also said "If you are a telemarketer, please remove this number from your call list." That, plus the DNC, seemed to work, because after six months or so we had hardly any telemarketers call at all.

Nowadays we actually have more trouble from pesky door-to-door salesmen. Even though our apartment complex doesn't allow solicitors, they still manage to sneak in there sometimes. I had one fucking asshole knock on my door four times while I was on the phone one day; I finally answered the door, thinking it might be a neighbor in distress. Nope, it was some fucktard selling vacuum cleaners, I shit you not - and I was on the fucking phone, holding two dogs, telling him over and over again that no, this wasn't a good time, go the fuck away... he still didn't get it. I had to slam the door on his sorry insistent ass.

I really really hate people who keep insisting on trying to sell you something you don't want. "No, thank you" should be enough for people to fuck off.

Gwen, good advice on the outgoing message.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a "No Solicitors" sticker on your door/threshold?

I've lived in the same apartment for the last 5 years. The apartment complex provides a convenient clip for their useless crap. Surprising to no one, local business hire high-school dropouts to leave their menus and various ads on my door.

A couple of years ago, I found and stuck a "NO SOLICITORS" sticker to my threshold. Much to my surprise, it worked most of the time. You still get the occasional high-school dropout who doesn't know what "solicitors" means, but I still chalk this up as a 'hit'!

For some strange reason, it doesn't stop the dumbasses recruitin' for Jesus, but I figure that's why I'm so dedicated to buying a house. That way I'll have a hose to turn upon the 'righteous'!! I'm SO looking forward to that!

Man I know that sucks. I get those calls all the time even though I am on a DNC list. If you happen to answer the phone, tell them you rent, even if you don't, they usually want to talk to a homeowner and will take you off their list. If it's something else, tell them you are house sitting for a friend and you are under 18, they will get off the phone with you right away. At least for me, it's better than being rude to them.

So that's why they hang up almost before the words are out of my mouth. I listen to their sales pitch for stuff only a homeowner can buy. So finally when I can get a word in edgewise I explain that I'm renting and can't make those kinds of decision and I hear a click almost before I'm done talking.

It's just annoying that I pay for the phone because I want to call people, not because I want to be disturbed every 20 minutes by a ringing phone and having to drop everything to see who it is.

Turn the ringer off... and ignore the machine until you want to call someone.

I don't get many... but then my method of dealing is this

1) I hang up on robots

2) If it's got a pulse, in my best, clipped, very cold voice, 'How did you get this number?... You should not have this number. Han up now, get your supervisors and tell them to remove this number from their database and that this call never happened.' then I hang up. It seems to work. I don't seem to get the same company twice...

I've been getting a machine voice saying "I'm sorry, I must have dialed the wrong number" recently. My paranoid side tells me that there's something illegitimate going on with that but I have no idea what.

Sounds like someone number array hunting a modem...

I used to get those annoying calls until I got an answering machine. My favorite message was.."I have amnesia and I don't like to talk to strangers, so if you wouldn't mind please leave MY name and number at the beep" After a couple weeks they stopped calling. :lmao:

You have my condolences, Mike.

I don't really have any wisdom to give you, but perhaps I can pass along a good laugh.

Listen to this site. If you have the cojones(sp) you can give it a try yourself. If not, you can think about it as you're subjected to relentless telemarketing. At the very least, it should bring a smile to your face.

*Disclaimer* The linked site produces audio with subtitles. Some if it might not be work-area friendly but it's good for a laugh! Just select a bogus birth date and give it a listen.

OMG!!! I have to try this next time! LOL I think I will try to record it too, oh man that was awesome. True the tele-marketer had to be stupid, but you could tone it down some and make it more realistic.

Usually the No Call list takes some time before all the telemarketing companies have updated their systems. I don't remember the time limit, if it's 1 month or 3 months, but there is a cut-off date, and if they still call after that, they are breaking the law. The list is something they have to receive and look in before they call you, so it just means they don't have an updated list.

Maybe this will scare them, answer the phone, ask them that you want to talk to their manager, and tell the that you're on the no-call list and you will take them to court if they call again.

I get those calls all the time even though I am on a DNC list.

Here's a site with information about the law and penalties: http://www.donotcallprotection.com/do_not_call_chart.shtml

The problem is that many telemarketing companies use services out of the country, and intercontinental calls are harder to enforce the law upon, since that requires international laws. But if you at least just tell them that you will take them to court they might get scared enough to put you on their own no-call list. :)

But since they're selling products in America, it means that the main corporation must have some form of establishment on US soil. What they should do with the law is that if a company use foreign call centers, and they break the no-call list, their permit for their subsidiary in US should be revoked. (Maybe you should tell them that too. "I'm on the list. You're breaking the law. I will make sure your franchise license in US will be taken from you. So stop call!")

I've found that most of the time, live telemarketers won't leave a message on an answering machine, so if I don't recognize the name/number on the caller ID, I let the machine sort it out. That is, if I even bother to check the caller ID. Everyone who knows us knows to talk to the machine if they don't get an answer on our land line.

We are on the DNC list and still get 5 to 10 unsolicited calls a week. Most of these are from phone companies or credit card companies. The way I understand it is that phone companies are exempt because they are utilities and credit companies are allowed to call and solicit their own customers.

Hi Burned and Outback - yeah, I've plans to put a "NO SOLICITING" sign on my door, I just haven't done it yet. Maybe one of those anti-religious soliciting icons like um... who is it, Taph? Whoever it is who has one for their avatar... anyway. One of those as well as a no soliciting sign.

There's one up at the rental office, but we're in a building way far away, right by the road. I suspect people just spill over from nearby neighborhoods into the complex. Maybe next time I see one of those goons I'll call the landlord.

For a few years, our answering machine message said, "Due to excessive telemarketing calls, this telephone no longer rings in our home. If you would like to leave a message, please do so at the beep."

And of course, there's this gem... http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/taliban_telemarketers.htm

CelloChick