Goodbye Jesus

Evolution And Homosexuality/transexuality

KickBall

"The Europeans mentality is still with us today"

'scuse me? We ran the fuckers off as dreck, we don't elect them as Senators... it'll take some time to get us pissed at the latest ones, but we'll do it again...

Evolution is about successfully passing on our genes (the rest is packaging). Gays are not going to pass on their genes, so nothing to do with evolution.

It is said that many gays and lesbians are produced by the amount of testosterone in the womb. Lots of it and you fancy women. Little of it and you fancy men. Regardless of what sex you are. So it can be decided before you are born, so God's fault.

"Christian Fundamentalism: The doctrine that there is an absolutely powerful, infinitely knowledgeable, universe spanning entity that is deeply and personally concerned about my sex life."

..........Author Unknown

"Evolution is about successfully passing on our genes (the rest is packaging). Gays are not going to pass on their genes, so nothing to do with evolution."

If having homosexuals in the group means an overall survival advantage, then it is an evolutionary issue... and evolution isn't about individual breeding but overall species success

"Evolution is about successfully passing on our genes (the rest is packaging). Gays are not going to pass on their genes, so nothing to do with evolution."

If having homosexuals in the group means an overall survival advantage, then it is an evolutionary issue... and evolution isn't about individual breeding but overall species success

There are two camps among evolutionists, forgive me but I studied that formally about 20 years ago so I'm a little rusty on the exact terms...

One thought focuses on the individual, and postulates survival is the mandate of the individual gene, and all the population stuff is just packaging as you have said. Quite simplistic and ignorant, I believe, but at least that side's perspective is philosophically convenient to combat concepts like eugenics and genocide.

The opposing side, obviously, is population genetics. The effect of the individual on the population's genetic makeup and vice versa can't just be dismissed because it raises some uncomfortable questions about individuality.

Mixing science and philosophy can get messy.

Looking at the way nature works, individuals are expendable... the dynamics of herds, shoals, flocks, swarms and colonies are 'lossy' in terms of the broader environment... individuals can affect the gene pool of a local group as well, so you have two competing forces...

In animal groups where there is an alpha male/ alpha female dynamic, a number of gay offsping will benefit the alpha apes' genes if more young survive to breeding age. Thus, there is indiviual benefit to a genetic line, although the benefit to a specific organism is debatable...

• 2 weeks later...

It's important to note that evolution is not a replacement for God, and thus is not some perfect designer. Evolution is an unguided process that over time results in a population more suited to it's current conditions. Homosexuality or any other alignment need not be benifitial or damaging on a group level to persist. It only needs to not cause so much strife as to be selected against. I'm not saying it is a positive or negative thing, I am saying it is a thing which occurs. This does not mean it must have a benifitial effect. Cavefish lost their eyesight, not because it was benificial to them to be blind, but because another benifitial adaption damaged their sight, but as they lived in darkness it was not selected against. Homosexuality could be the result of a vast number of things but it need not itself have a function in a species to exist.

As a slight side note: as far as I'm concerned any willing participant may place any part of their body into any other willing participant, as often or seldom as they wish.

Oh, I'm a dung heap of information... some of it even applicable to daily life, and most of it geared to pissing on someone's chips...

Wow. I edited my sig file for that!

LOL

I don't know about the evolution thing. After eight or nine highballs and double rum and cokes, a chimp looks like Beyonce' to me.

I read a great article on MSN last year about gay giraffes. I thought it was neat article so I printed off a copy. I don't know if the story would be still active now if you tried to look it up, but I kept it specifically for x-tian arguments. I get so sick of the gay bashing that goes on in both the catholic and x-tian churches. To lower gay people to the scum that they call them, is just plain wrong. I happen to be someone who is extremely open minded and would accept damn near anything that is consenting. My feeling is that what people do in their bedrooms is their own business, but I will do anything to shut up the damn x-tians who blame every natural disaster on homosexuality.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a scientist, but since today reproduction can occur through artifical insemination in theory we could all go gay and the population could still reproduce.

Who knows, maybe some day i'll have a husband and 2.2 genetically engineered kids - blond hair blue eyed, intellectually and athletically gifted, and with the drive to create a master race. :grin:

Ok so I am a little warped, what can I say :crazy:

Evolution is about successfully passing on our genes (the rest is packaging). Gays are not going to pass on their genes, so nothing to do with evolution.

It is said that many gays and lesbians are produced by the amount of testosterone in the womb. Lots of it and you fancy women. Little of it and you fancy men. Regardless of what sex you are. So it can be decided before you are born, so God's fault.

"Christian Fundamentalism: The doctrine that there is an absolutely powerful, infinitely knowledgeable, universe spanning entity that is deeply and personally concerned about my sex life."

..........Author Unknown

You're thinking in terms of black and white, while rarely is sexuallity that way. As far as I know, the majority of animals that display homosexual behavior are bisexual, so they breed and also have gay sex. It can actually be an evolutionary benefit.

http://www.livescience.com/animals/061116_...al_animals.html

Conversely, some argue that homosexual sex could have a bigger natural cause than just pure ecstasy: namely evolutionary benefits.

Copulation could be used for alliance and protection among animals of the same sex. In situations when a species is mostly bisexual, homosexual relationships allow an animal to join a pack.

"In bonobos for instance, strict heterosexual individuals would not be able to make friends in the flock and thus never be able to breed," Bockman told LiveScience. "In some bird species that bond for life, homosexual pairs raise young. If they are females, a male may fertilize their eggs. If they are males, a solitary female may mate with them and deposit her eggs in their nest."

Also, in humans, gay people pass their genes on all the time. Some people live a double life or are in denial. Others use artificial insemination.