Goodbye Jesus

What To Do With U2?

XCCC

I apologize that my second or third post here is about something kind of lame. It's just been on my mind and I was thinking that there are a lot of ex-christians here who may have, at one time or another, been U2 fans. I was an evangelical for 10 years (during high-school, college and on staff with Campus Crusade for three years). During that time I became a HUGE U2 fan. It started with analyzing all the lyrics on the "October" album with my boyfriend at the time. We were both very involved with a local SoCal church that had a growing youth movement. I loved every album and knew every song. I started to go through my "angry searching phase" right as "Achtung Baby" came out. I was on staff with Crusade and hating life. Then, as I began my agnostic period and started having kids I didn't have the time to be quite as enamored. I still got every album. I still like their music but I now have this curious love/hate relationship with what used to be my favorite band.

I just saw U23D on Saturday. Cool, cool movie. I've seen U2 live 4 times over the years and seeing things this "up close" was cool. I find myself not knowing what I think of them anymore. They have become so ultra-commercial but that's not my main problem. My connection with their music was their "muted christian" messages. Concerts were the closest thing to what I would have wanted church to be. Now, I find myself wondering how in the world they can sing on and on about christian things so casually. How can Bono seriously chant "Jesus, Jew, Mohammad, it's true" when each of those religions is an exclusive one? I understand his sentiments about coexisting with other religions. It's just that I've never understood those who supposedly espouse a religion but do it halfway. Is it just a game? A cultural thing? And how can I continue to like songs that talk about god and jesus as if they're legitimate? Anyone else out there who's thought about this?

Goodbye Jesus

U2 wants money from the fundy loons just as much as any other business. Many singers have some kind of spiritual jingle from time to time.

I would say that, like all religous people, they take the parts they want and embrace a spirituality that suits them. No one persons xianity is quite the same as anothers. So they are probably sincere in what they believe, reaching as wide an audience as possible through general feel good message about love and spirituality and whatnot.

I have always found that U2 is huge among the Xian musicians that are really serious musicians. They want to emulate U2 as much as possible it seems.

I don't know much about the band. I like some of their songs, but have never really really sat down and listened to them. In my fundy days I considered the "fencesitters" and I didn't listen to any non-Xian music and as far as I was concerned they weren't Xian.

For some reason U2 makes it possible for a lot of Xian musicians to branch out into the mainstream market.

These are just babbling observations I'm making and doesn't really answer your question.

My answer is that if you love them, you love them. I just watched an ex-C on YouTube that loves southern gospel. I believe Brother Jeff still rocks out to Mylon & Brokenheart.

If their lyrics are driving you batshit crazy then find new music. I had to do that with all my Xian metal...

Songs that talk about God and Jesus don't necessarily bother me. I have two U2 CDs - The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. I still like them although I would not describe myself as a rabid U2 fan. I am very aware of the Christian undertones of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" but I still really like it. Especially the lines "I believe in the kingdom come and all the colors that bleed into one. I have spoke with eternal angels, I have held the hand of the devil." Its like poetry to me-- its true in that way, not literally. Its not really preachy and it speaks of unity. I also like to think of eternity and the possiblity of beings who live what to us would be eternal lifespans. Considering the vastness of the universe, there may be such beings, who knows? As long as the lyrics aren't telling me I should believe a certain way or there will be dire consequences, I don't mind at all.

I don't think that throwing out the dogmas of Christianity necessarily means throw out the aesthetic part of it. Wouldn't you still be able to appreciate the beauty of a European cathedral despite the Christian doctrine underlying it?

I don't think your post is lame. Welcome to Ex-C!

I don't claim to have an answer to your questions, but I want you to know that I identify with you on a personal level. I've been a musician my whole life it seems and I can't imagine life without music or without being able to play an instrument. It's a vital part of my existence.

I want to address two questions you asked. First, the actual questioning of U2's lyrical content and, in particular, Bono. I've never been one to get too hung up on lyrics or what a band represents if I love the music itself. But I do understand what you're asking. I'm not a U2 fan, but I have read about them. I know they are as eclectic in their musical tastes and abilities as they are in their philosophy - none of which do I have an issue with. But in a way, it's similar to the Creed dilemma... people demanded to know if they were a Christian band or not. When they finally said, "We're not a fucking Christian band!", die-hard fans refused to believe it and those who only liked them because they thought they were a Christian band couldn't stomach them anymore. Then, there were those who just liked their music and didn't care one way or the other. U2 is fully aware that exposure is everything - as is any popular musical group. They will play the religion and philosophy card as needed. They will shy away from it as needed. I'm not implying that they aren't sincere in their messages or their lives, but in order to remain relevant, they must be, well, relevant! If you enjoy the drama of ARE THEY/AREN'T THEY, then so what? Discuss it and analyze it with whomever you choose to your heart's content. It's entertainment after all, so if you're entertained by the band, then they've come by their dollar honestly.

"And how can I continue to like songs that talk about god and jesus as if they're legitimate?"

I love blues and hard rock and when a group combines the two, I really love that. With blues music, the music itself is the thing I enjoy and the lyrics are essentially throw away and are the filler that has to be there in order to get to the guitar solo. My opinion! If I had to narrow it down, Black Sabbath would either be my favorite band or darned near my favorite. The point I want to make with this band in particular is that before I was a believer, when I was a believer, and now that I'm no longer a believer, I never got into songs and imagery about the devil. Just not my thing. It just doesn't... do anything for me. But, I still like those songs! It's the music and even when they sing about something I don't care for or can't identify with or even disagree with, the music is the ultimate trump card. When Ozzy sings "My name is Lucifer, please take my hand" like it's actually about something, I can only find it a bit humorous. (No offense intended with that statement.) I dig the guitar riff, though. I can separate the two. If you can, too, then enjoy the music of U2 to the fullest. Again, ultimately, it's entertainment. If it entertains you and brings enjoyment to your life, it's money and time well spent.

As a bunch of Roman Catholics, they regard the fundy loons with similar horror to 'normal' people. :)

I can't take rockers preaching. Love rock n roll but hell, I don't want to be preached to. I remember when Lennon was big into his 'peace' stuff and hell that guy was far from peaceful. I listen to music as a form of escape, and when I find the preaching there too, it's a real turnoff. I loved Alice Coopers statement about listening to rockers, he said if you are turning to rock and rollers for direction as to who to vote for or what issues to believe in etc, then you are nuttier than they are lol. Coming from a rocker himself, I loved his sense of humor about it. Bono really gets under my skin. He was here recently in meetings with the US defense secretary. May I ask what the hell a defense secretary is doing meeting with a musician? Good grief. I live here and couldn't get a meeting with the dang defense secretary. I say, shut up and sing!

Alice (who was 60 yesterday, my time 4th Feb) is, according to legend, a BAC... I've certainly not noticed it in the 30 some years I've been listening to the Coop!

I remember when Lennon was big into his 'peace' stuff and hell that guy was far from peaceful.

I read in an interview with him where Lennon had at least the good grace to admit it. Still, admittedly there was a considerable amount of self-aggrandizement in his peace activities, such as the "bed-in."

I agree that in general preaching, in any art form, is a real turn off. Even from the likes of Bob Dylan. As for Bono's activities outside his music-- I don't follow them too much, but think sometimes his activities are repulsive. If he is doing something actually good, such as playing a benefit concert for the poor and actually giving a significant amount of money to a good cause -- I have no objection to that. Beyond a certain degree though, hobnobbing with the politicians it just seems holier-than-thou, I'm guilty cause I'm rich.

I just put all that outside activity out of my mind when I listen to their music.

The 'hob nobbing' with politicians is more down to the fact he represents Geldof's interests... but he'd thump them... so he sends his 'jesuit' in...

He's calls him that in payback for Bono telling him that Atheist Bob had just written his first (and probably only) hymn in 'Do They Know It's Christmas'...

as a complete side bar...Interesting to note that the main drive behind one of the biggest ever charity drives, certainly the single largest of the 20th Century, is an atheist... Midge Ure doesn't say what he is and Bono still identifies as RCC... TBH he's quite a diplomat is our Bono... and has manged to get stuff done behind the scenes that most politicos couldn't, since he has no affiliation to anyone but Bob... and Bob hates politicos with a venom I aspire to...

Geldof seems to maintain a pretty low key profile because at least over here, you don't here much from him these days. When it comes to Lennon, let me change what I was saying a lil bit. I actually think John was less of a hypocrite about his peace activities than maybe how that came across. He always admitted he had violent tendencies(dont alot of us guys?) and also I remember reading somewhere, maybe the '70 PlayBoy interview, that he often felt guilty for making as much money as he did. I would never say that all, including rockers are certainly entitled to their opinion, I just feel a bit put off when the srat to get a bit preachy about it. No doubt also, a rocker like him might be able to get some positive movement on things that a politician otherwise may not simply because they can communicate with so many people. Shows how out of the loop I am, I had no idea that Bono and Geldoff had any connection.

The music business in England is not as spread far and wide as it is here. Seems like everyone/group in England know each other.

Hardly surprising since it's a tiny island...

Thanks for the replies. I can try (and have tried) to ignore what I find annoying and just enjoy the songs. Think my problem is that I'm so very interested (or was) in the lyrics and I really loved the songs because I loved the lyrics. I didn't think U2 were "fence-sitters" but rather my kind of christian (honest and thinking instead of spouting the party line). I always loved all the "secular christian" bands like U2, The Alarm, The Call, Bruce Cockburn and (later) Sam Phillips. Now it's hard to get as excited about their stuff since what they had to say was a large part of my attraction to the tunes.

I agree that Bono really rubs me the wrong way at times. I was thinking, as I watched him charismatically roam the stage in the U23D movie, that he could have easily been a TV evangelist. At least he didn't go there... I like the fact that he's trying to do something positive (he could just be constantly talking about all the girls he's slept with, the drugs he's done, and the riches he has). That said, though, he's got a hell of a lot of ego.

Have you ever seen a 'humble' stadium rocker?

And on Geldof/Bono... they've been working together since 1985 on numerous Make Poverty History things... Geldof took more of a back seat the time his Ex-wife died, since he adopted her young daughter by Michael Huntchence and he needed to apply some time since the kid had lost a lot in a short time.

You think that's it? lol obviously eh.

IF you hang out in London any length of time, esp the places I used to, you run across a good section of the current music scene... Place I worked had offices near the 'media' end of Soho, and off the Tottenham Court Road... I once ended up discussing Atari Midi kit with an English singer called Kevin Rowland just as an example... It wasn't unusual... now since I kept tripping over singers and thesps, then they must trip over each other...

U2 did some good songs. But I think that Bono is a pretentious windbag.

U2 did some good songs. But I think that Bono is a pretentious windbag.

I think he is too, I have never been a U2 fan. I have many gigs of music, a massive collection, not one song is a U2 song.

...I'm so very interested (or was) in the lyrics and I really loved the songs because I loved the lyrics.

I have a quick question, being as you are such a fan maybe you know which song/album it is on. Isn't there a U2 song where the lyrics are something along the lines of "I learned to drown my sorrows/but my sorrows learned to swim."?

I seem to remember it on Joshua Tree or something. I always loved that line, whoever sang it!

I have a quick question, being as you are such a fan maybe you know which song/album it is on. Isn't there a U2 song where the lyrics are something along the lines of "I learned to drown my sorrows/but my sorrows learned to swim."?

I seem to remember it on Joshua Tree or something. I always loved that line, whoever sang it!

Hi Marty--

It's from the Achtung Baby album. The song is called Until the End of The World. It's got great lyrics and is good in concert. My favorite song on that album (and maybe of all U2's) is "Acrobat." Has it all: anger, disillusionment and longing.

I think my favorite U2 song is an odd one called 'Numb'(I think that's the name of it) Sort of nonsensical, but I always liked the sound of it. What album is that song from?

I fuckin' hate them. Not because of their religious background, but just because of their music. I can't stand it.

That Vertigo tune of theirs makes me want to chew glass and run my face over with a lawnmower. :mellow:

Lol. I could actually say the same for the most part. 'Numb' is the only tune by them I have any liking for at all. I bought the Joshua Tree when it first came out many years ago, and didn't know much about them. I gave that album away to a friend after listening to it one time. But to each his own, I'm sure there's alot of people who don't like the groups I like either.