Goodbye Jesus

What To Do With U2?

XCCC

I think my favorite U2 song is an odd one called 'Numb'(I think that's the name of it) Sort of nonsensical, but I always liked the sound of it. What album is that song from?

It's from Zooropa. Good album but very experimental. The "Numb" video is strange as well. I think "Numb" is one of only 2 or 3 songs where Edge actually sings the lead.

I fuckin' hate them. Not because of their religious background, but just because of their music. I can't stand it.

That Vertigo tune of theirs makes me want to chew glass and run my face over with a lawnmower. :mellow:

Don't mince words on my account :vent:

I have music I can't stand as well. Pretty much any post-1970's Aerosmith drives me nuts. Love some of their earlier songs. And any 80's glam metal is pure eye-rolling material for me :ugh:

To the OP, good music is good music. Period. I had a crisis of non-faith when I found out my hero Alice Cooper went xtian. There's a thread here on that. I'm a rockerandd , but I like the harmonies nd bluesy sound of some xtian music, and U2 keeps the preachin' to a minimum. I play the "Rattle and Hum" DVD regularly.

Gramps, I had no idea you were an Alice fan. First concert I ever saw was "Welcome to my nightmare." My birthday is the third, Alice on the 4th, and my granddaughter on the 5th. I love Feb.

Kenny, I'm a lifelong musician too, mostly weekend warrior. Gettin' too old to stay up past midnight now. :Old:

My musical tastes run the gamut and like someone said, if it's good or I like the sound, I'll give it a listen. Tend towards hard rock but also like groups like Supertramp alot which certainly isn't hard rock. I'm a metal head who actually still enjoys listening to the Beatles occasionally. Just something about U2s sound I could never relate to for whatever reason.

And how can I continue to like songs that talk about god and jesus as if they're legitimate? Anyone else out there who's thought about this?[/font]
I've never listened to U2 much so I can't say much about their music, but your situation sounds a lot like mine with the band Switchfoot. I liked them when I was a Christian and at first when I deconverted, it was hard for me to enjoy the music because even though they said they were technically not a Christian band, their lyrics had obvious Christian undertones to them. But I've learned to treat songs with Christian themes in them the same way I treat songs about Santa Claus. You know that Santa Claus isn't real and that the songs about him are nothing but fairytales, but they can still be fun and catchy to listen to even if you're not a kid anymore. I find it also helps to balance the music out with some good 'ol anti-religious artists like Marilyn Manson and Bad Religion. Nothing wrong with a little variety. ^^;;

I just wanted to pipe in here and say that U2 is my all-time favourite band. I have loved them since I was three. In my mind, Larry Mullen Junior will always be my fantasy husband. ;) I still listen to U2 all the time, and even can sing along to their more xian songs (40, anyone?) and not feel uncomfortable about it. They're just songs, right? I mean, when I'm singing Salome's aria to John the Baptist about how wonderful he is and how much she loves him, it doesn't mean anything either. Same diff, to me. And when I'm singing along to U2 I don't even have to pretend to mean it like I do when I'm singing opera, LOL.

Yeah, they're just words. Some of the words are still really great and meaningful to me... for example XCCC I SO second your vote for Acrobat! My all-time favourite U2 song!

Ah...I knew there had to be at least one person on this board like you, sarahgrace! And an opera singer, to boot! Wow. I do still listen and still sing the words (in my very-non-operatic voice), I think I'm just disappointed some of them don't mean that much to me anymore. I'll bet you can sing with Pavaratti (sp?) on Miss Sarajevo too...?

I love Joshua Tree. For me it ranks up there as one of the best albums of all time.

I think U2 isn't as religious as people think. On the song "One," for example: you ask me to enter and then you make me crawl. I can't keep holding on...

If that doesn't sum up my own experience with xianity, I don't know what does.

And the song "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is another example where they seem to be saying that xianity is an empty and frustrating experience.

Maybe I'm reading more into it than they are saying, but their older stuff speaks to me.

As a bunch of Roman Catholics, they regard the fundy loons with similar horror to 'normal' people. :)

Actually only one of the 4 is RC :grin:

The music business in England is not as spread far and wide as it is here. Seems like everyone/group in England know each other.

:nono: Actually the are from Ireland, Southern Ireland, or Eire to be technically correct. They are not from the UK let alone England. :vent:

Hardly surprising since it's a tiny island...

Comprising of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, as well as England and known the world over as the United Kingdom or Great Britain

ENGLAND IS NOT AN ISLAND !!!

[/rant over] ;)

Comprising of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, as well as England and known the world over as the United Kingdom or Great Britain

[/rant over] ;)

You dont know much about England

Learn About England

[/rant over] ;)

You dont know much about England

Learn About England

Umm, actually I think I do :)

I am not a huge die-hard U2 fan, but I really feel like Where the Streets Have No Name is one of the greatest all-time songs ever. When it comes up on shuffle, I get so distracted by it, I have to stop what I'm doing. I know it sounds corny, but it really moves me. Maybe it's just because of where I was in my life when I first heard the song.

But I totally agree...what to do with U2? What kind of Christians are they, anyways? And I can't help but wonder...why do they bother with the Christian stuff anyways if they are of the all-inclusive variety? They're just fine without it!