Goodbye Jesus

The Beauty Of Nature

Cooligan

The tidal forces are intense... if two spiral galaxies collided, there's be a lot of trouble due to the super-black holes that the galaxy orbits around and gets it shape from... depending where you are you can be scatter to the 'four winds', destoryed by a black hole, or end up in a globular cluster orbiting a new super-black hole formed by the galactic centres merging... the simlautions were shown on a Horizon/Nova in the past few years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSek274iIY

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/...ranscript.shtml

Goodbye Jesus
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Ouroboros

• SWIM

• Cooligan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TBH, doesn't the idea of something simply making it somehow rob it of magic? If it was all made just to entertain us, then the fine tuning becomes nothing much, in fact, based on the average human's mental capacity, it's an exercise in futility...

Exactly! That is exactly what I was trying to say!

I cannot for the life of me get rid of the impression I got of Dawkins in Four Horsemen when he was talking about the infinite beauty of the universe. He was talking about numbers and stuff--technical stuff that my brain is not trained to worship or stand in aw of, yet here was the world's most famous atheist speaking with the same attitude of aw and amazement that I see in religious people when they talk about the wonders of God. The tone of voice, the body language, the shining eyes, the radiant face--it was all there like the three-year-old telling his mom about the glorious dandelion he discovered.

Planting a god in there just spoils the whole picture.

Or, putting the reel in reverse, when I was deconverting and finally was able to take god out of the picture, it got so much more radiant and glorious.

And then seeing Dawkins like this--well, I just felt affirmed. There is nothing wrong with me, and there is nothing devilish about the ancient Greeks, for being likewise filled with amazement and aw when gazing at the stars or other natural beauty--outside the reverential aw for the ugly biblegod.

I was thinking about this thread. While we do have nature that we consider beautiful, we also have nature that can be considered down right ugly. Why do the religious always equate the beauty and serenity of nature with a creator, and simply ignore the ugly and dangerous. They seem to suggest that the earth is one big beautiful place when it isn't, only some of it is. I'd also like to point out that while a red sky can be beautiful, a sailor viewing a red sky in the morning considers it anything but.

I was thinking about this thread. While we do have nature that we consider beautiful, we also have nature that can be considered down right ugly. Why do the religious always equate the beauty and serenity of nature with a creator, and simply ignore the ugly and dangerous. They seem to suggest that the earth is one big beautiful place when it isn't, only some of it is. I'd also like to point out that while a red sky can be beautiful, a sailor viewing a red sky in the morning considers it anything but.

Hey, you gotta leave something for the debil!!!

;)

The tidal forces are intense... if two spiral galaxies collided, there's be a lot of trouble due to the super-black holes that the galaxy orbits around and gets it shape from... depending where you are you can be scatter to the 'four winds', destoryed by a black hole, or end up in a globular cluster orbiting a new super-black hole formed by the galactic centres merging... the simlautions were shown on a Horizon/Nova in the past few years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSek274iIY

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/...ranscript.shtml

I'd not say my biggest concern is being eaten by the SMBH, but rather, should the black hole swallow something particularly massive (insert bad pun here) then there could be ,say, a 50 trillion fold increase in gamma and x radiation, which could show up at any time, unexpectedly, and wipe out all life in the galaxy, save those adapted for extremely high levels of radiation. That's a doomsday scenario, but it could've happened on a smaller scale and triggered extinction events, or resulted in high numbers of mutations.