Goodbye Jesus

Im a liar now! Am I going to Hell?

Abiyoyo

I was led astray when I realized that Ezra 7:8 "8 Ezra arrived in Jerusalem in the fifth month of the seventh year of the king." may not be completely true. There is not enough secular evidence that it was the fifth month of the seventh year, so I started having doubts. Hey, I wasn't LOOKING for a reason to fall away and become deceived-- it just happened!

Why do people insist that Im nuts( Supposedly, believers). Did not Paul see a light after persucuting jews? Did not God say that the Holy Sprirt would come to us, and that the disciples should go and make disciples of all nations?

In conjunction with Paul you may want to study Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, especially if you are keeping your sanity by believing Paul was sane.

Article from here.

The Vision of the Chariot: Transcendent Experience and Temporal Lobe Epilepsy

Temporal lobe epilepsy has been linked to divine encounters, artistic creation and fearful visitations from other realms. Pickover examines some of the implications of current research into this mysterious disease.

by Clifford Pickover

SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 1999—Temporal lobe epilepsy has often been linked to a variety of transcendent experiences: ecstatic communion with the divine, epiphanies of artistic creation, fearful encounters with alien beings. Clifford Pickover examines some of the implications of current research now shedding light on the terrors and wonders of this mysterious disease.

Treading the Labyrinth

"With TLE, I see things slightly different than before. I have visions and images that normal people don’t have. Some of my seizures are like entering another dimension, the closest to religious or spiritual feelings I’ve ever had. Epilepsy has given me a rare vision and insight into myself, and sometimes beyond myself, and it has played to my creative side. Without TLE, I would not have begun to sculpt."

This testimony comes from a woman who suffers from — and, obviously, often exults in — temporal lobe epilepsy. This condition (TLE, for short), is caused by unusual electrical activity in the brain’s temporal lobes A significant proportion of people with TLE report that their seizures often bring on extraordinary experiences of transcendent wonder, luminous insight — or, at times, harrowing, uncanny fear.

Take, for example, the numerous reported cases of "alien abduction." TLE researcher Eve LaPlante has noted that many abductees feel mild, epileptic-like symptoms just before they are "captured." Some abductees feel heat on one side of their faces, hear a ringing in their ears, and see flashes of light prior to an abduction. Others report a cessation of sound and feeling, or an overwhelming feeling of apprehension. All of this is typical of certain kinds of epileptic seizures. In fact, LaPlante suggests that the most famous abductee of our time, best-selling author Whitley Strieber, suffers from TLE.

In 1987, Strieber wrote the book Communion which described his abduction by 3 1/2 foot aliens with two dark holes for eyes. In his account, Strieber exhibits various symptoms of TLE: jamais vu (the feeling of never having been in what should be a familiar place — the opposite of deja vu); formication (feeling bugs crawling under the skin); vivid smells, hallucinations, rapid heartbeats, the sensation of rising and falling, and partial amnesia. Magnetic resonance imaging of Strieber’s brain has revealed "occasional punctate foci of high signal intensity" in his left temporoparietal region, which is suggestive of scarring that could lead to TLE.

Such alien abduction stories can tell us about the workings of the mind. Michael Persinger, a neuroscientist at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, found that people with frequent bursts of electrical activity in their temporal lobes report sensations of flying, floating, or leaving the body, as well as other mystical experiences. By applying magnetic fields to the brain, he can also induce odd mental experiences — possibly caused by bursts of neuron firing in the temporal lobes. For example, he has made people feel as if two alien hands grabbed their shoulders and distorted their legs when he applied magnetic fields to their brains.

Our modern fasicnation with other such phenomena, such as ESP, past-life regression, and out-of-the-body experiences, may also be the result of mild, undiagnosed TLE. It’s a fertile field, awaiting more research to bring such mysteries out of the realm of the "paranormal" and into the fascinating labyrinth of the brain.

Fear and Trembling

Has TLE changed the course of civilization? LaPlante and many other TLE experts speculate that the mystical religious experiences of some of the great prophets were induced by TLE — because the historical writings describe classic TLE symptoms. The religious prophets most often thought to have had epilepsy are Mohammad, Moses, and St. Paul. Dostoevsky, another famous epileptic whose works are filled with ecstatic visions of universal love (and terrible nightmares of uncanny fear and radical evil), thought it was obvious that Mohammad’s visions of God were triggered by epilepsy. "Mohammad assures us in this Koran that he had seen Paradise," Doestevsky notes. "He did not lie. He had indeed been in Paradise — during an attack of epilepsy, from which he suffered, as I do."

When Mohammad first had his visions of God, he felt oppressed, smothered, as if his breath were being squeezed from his chest. Later he heard a voice calling his name, but when he turned to find the source of the voice, no one was there. The local Christians, Jews, and Arabs called him insane. When he was five years old, he told his foster parents, "Two men in white raiment came and threw me down and opened up my belly and searched inside for I don’t know what." This description is startling similar to the alien abduction experience described by people with TLE.

Note that the overriding emotion experienced by Mohammed, Moses and St. Paul during their religious visions was not one of rapture and joy but rather of fear. When Moses heard the voice of God from a burning bush, he hid his face and was frightened. Luke and Paul both agreed that Paul suffered from an unknown "illness" or "bodily weakness" which he called his "thorn in the flesh." Many biblical commentators have attributed this to either migraine headaches or epilepsy. Paul did once have malaria, which involves a high fever that can damage the brain. Other psychologists have noted that likely TLE sufferers such as Moses, Flaubert, Saint Paul, and Dostevesky were also famous for their rages.

However, psychologist William James has argued that religious states are not less profound simply because they can be induced by mental anomalies:

"Even more perhaps than other kinds of genius, religious leaders have been subject to abnormal psychical visitations. Invariably they have been creatures of exalted emotional sensitivity liable to obsessions and fixed ideas; and frequently they have fallen into trances, heard voices, seen visions, and presented all sorts of peculiarities which are ordinarily classed as pathological. Often, moreover, these pathological features have helped to give them their religious authority and influence. To plead the organic causation of a religious state of mind in refutation of its claim to possess superior spiritual value is quite illogical and arbitrary. [because if that were the case], none of our thoughts and feelings, not even our scientific doctrines, not even our dis-beliefs, could retain any value as revelations of the truth, for every one of them without exception flows from the state of the possessor’s body at the time. Saint Paul certainly once had an epileptoid, if not an epileptic, seizure, but there is not a single one of our states of mind, high or low, healthy or morbid, that has not some organic processes as its condition."

More recently, several TLE nuns have provided further evidence for an epileptic root of many mystical religious experiences. For example, one former nun "apprehended" God in TLE seizures and described the experience:

"Suddenly everything comes together in a moment — everything adds up, and you’re flooded with a sense of joy, and you’re just about to grasp it, and then you lose it and you crawl into an attack. It’s easy to see how, in a prescientific age, an epileptic or any temporal lobe fringe experience like that could be thought to be God Himself."

Even the Old Testament prophet Ezekiel had a TLE-like vision reminiscent of modern UFO reports — the famous, fearsome Ma’aseh Merkabah, the Vision of the Chariot:

"And I looked, and behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire enfolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the color of amber, out of the midst of the fire.... Also out of the midst thereof, came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance, they had the likeness of a man. And every one had four faces, and every one had four wings. And their feet were straight feet; and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf’s foot; and they sparkled like the color of burnished brass."

The Light of the Storm

LaPlante is just one of a growing number of writers and researchers delving into TLE-induced religious experiences. For example, Professor Michael Persinger from Ontario does research on the neurophysiology of religious feelings, and believes that spiritual experiences come from altered electrical activity in the brain. David Bear from Harvard Medical School believes that "a temporal lobe focus in superior individuals (like van Gogh, Dostoevsky, Mohammad, Saint Paul and Moses) may spark an extraordinary search for the entity we alternatively call truth or beauty." Religion, then, is sometimes our interpretation of altered temporolimbic electrical activity. This is not to demean the mystical experience, because TLE personalities have obviously accomplished great things, whose depth and meaning have radiated far beyond the electric storms of a single cranium.

LaPlante, in her book Seized, aptly sums up the growing evidence linking TLE and creativity:

"Hidden or diagnosed, admitted or unknown, the mental states that occur in TLE seizures are more than simply neurological symptoms. In people like Tennyson, Saint Paul, and van Gogh these states may have provided material for religion and art. People with TLE, whether or not they know the physiological cause of their seizures, often incorporate their symptoms into poems, stories and myths. And the disorder does more than provide the stuff of religious experience and creative work. TLE is associated with personality change even when seizures are not occurring; it amplifies the very traits that draw people to religion and art."

Im a liar now! Am I going to Hell?,

Oh yea, I forgot to wish you well on your trip to the firey, eternal vacation spot.

YoYo,

In case you didn't get that, this was Madame telling you to go to hell in the nicest words possible. :eek:

So, Jesus rose and showed himself to the disciples, ascending into heaven(Biblically). Many Christians, are very scared of death, and going to hell. I believe if your scared of going to hell, then you probualy dont have a genuine relationship with Jesus(My POV).

I wasn't afraid of Hell and death when I was Christian, when I de-converted there was a transition time where it scared me, but I'm totally in peace with it now, and it doesn't bother me or frighten me at all. Actually I feel my life got more meaning now, and I spend more time making it worthwhile.

Good point. Lets think outside the box for a second though. Seriously.

If the Bible God created us, our brain, our nervious system, our senses, etc..

Would He not have been possibily trying to communicate with different people through there senses.

I guess, for me, I hear God only. I wonder what would have happened if I decided not to listen. Surely, He would have tryed again. I could have possibily went mad. Instead, I listened, and followed.

I know, so did Mohammed. Thats great. I still believe that Jesus was the Son of God. I dont know about Mohammed, and have no desire either.

So, one could look at all that as God trying to communicate to people, and they rejected it or became crazy over it.

Still, most of what I just said is all questionable and debatable..

Did you read the topic?
Yes...
This was guided toward people that actually studied, practiced, and followed Christianity.

Yep... did all that.

Meanwhile, here's another question...

Since you know very well that none of us hold the Bible as true, why did you ask your question with the assumption that we hold it true?

Sooner or later you'll understand that you cannot be led astray from that which you consider a load of rubbish.

I guess, for me, I hear God only. I wonder what would have happened if I decided not to listen. Surely, He would have tryed again. I could have possibily went mad. Instead, I listened, and followed.

Uh... Never mind.

I have used a lot of the testimonies in this fashion, to warn the church.

Fuck you. I don't put my heart out in this place for any fundy loons to score points of me with their fellow drones. Leave anything I post here, here. Okay?

bdp

Question 1: What was the one most important occurance, aspect or "issue in the Bible" that lead you astray from the Bible in general( Not your church, pastor, study group, coffe house, or denomination)?

Question2: How did it feel when you finally got to the point where you didnt encompass your life around God? What life changes began to happen, or advances in life?

Answer 1: The biggest issue of the Bible for me is that it repeatedly makes mutually exclusive claims, for instance the disparity between the Nativity accounts in Matthew and Luke.

Answer 2: When I did not focus my life around the belief in the Judeo-Christian deity, I found that I was able to live a much more satisfying life without the superstitious fears that are inherent with a Christian world-view.

General answer: The Bible and Christianity in particular is absurd belief system, based upon an extremely primitive understanding of cosmology, psychology, biology and most of what is regarded as factual in the modern sense. It the base analysis, it is attractive to people who either need simple answers to complexity and/or have deep seated fears of death. As a Deist, I find the Abrahamic conceptualization of deity to be barbaric, illogical and patently absurd. In particular with Christianity, I find the belief that God sacrificed a version of himself to himself, to molify his own absurd standards to be idiotic. Most importantly, Christianity is a belief system that convinces people that they and others are inherently wicked and that they need some salvation from the insane mountain god of the Hebrews.

Bruce

BDP, good answer.  May I use this as my new sig line?

Sure, I'd be honored. The difference is very important to point out for the sake of that sense of self empowerment.

bdp

Would He not have been possibily trying to communicate with different people through there senses.

I know, so did Mohammed. Thats great. I still believe that Jesus was the Son of God. I dont know about Mohammed, and have no desire either.

So, one could look at all that as God trying to communicate to people, and they rejected it or became crazy over it.

Still, most of what I just said is all questionable and debatable..

13622822_F_tn.jpg

Epilepsy is damage to the brain. Are you saying that God has to damage brains to enable him to communicate with people?

Maybe Mohammed heard a demon instead of God? Maybe Paul heard a demon instead of God? Maybe you heard a demon telling you to quit smoking? After all God's favorite denomination grows a lot of tobacco. How you going to know?

Question 1: What was the one most important occurance, aspect or "issue in the Bible" that lead you astray from the Bible in general( Not your church, pastor, study group, coffe house, or denomination)?

Question2: How did it feel when you finally got to the point where you didnt encompass your life around God? What life changes began to happen, or advances in life?

Answer 1. I guess it would be the realisation that even if God had personally written the words of the Bible with his celestial biro, as soon as the words left the page and entered my understanding - they would become nothing more than 'my thoughts about the words God has written' and because of this I could never 'know' God's word. Thus the provision of the book was 'meaningless', hopelessly limited and the idea of a book containing the 'actual words of God' became a pretty pointless one. This doesn't seem to be a common starting point but it was mine - the inconsistencies, the unreasonableness, the now obvious mythology all came second for me.

Answer 2. I still struggle with knowing how to define myself. I still live in the borderlands of religion I guess, I sometimes grieve for my childlike faith and my social networks and nice rituals. I still experience a sense of a benevolent God although I am leaning toward believing that this is a figment of my own imagination and probably has a psychological/neurological explanation. (But whilst my imaginary friend still gets me through some situations and acts as a useful sounding board I'm happy to keep using my god construct as a focus for my meditation and prayer)

There are a couple of things I'd like to ask you about the remainder of your opening post ...

I was super nice, and friendly.

Why don't you try that a bit more here?

I leave all the things that arent connecting with my God given direction to being a Godly person. Just like I left out parts that seemed not very genuine, when it came to selling.

Am I understanding you right? - You don't accept everything that is in the Bible - you pick and choose the bits that seem genuine?

I know that I have to come to God and seek Him when I am going through things. When everyone in you church thinks your possessed, or when you tell you wife that You pray that God would let her see the things that I see, and she says I dont want to see your demons.

Or maybe when your pastor says hes not sure right now that I should pursue the ministry, because when you go to school they ask ,,.....questions... Oh no. I m shaken. i have indeed been thrown out of the world I used to live in and I basically have my cat, and thats it .....I get more support(Honestly) from the nonbelievers than I do my own family, and precious church members.

It sounds like you've had a pretty tough time. Why do you think you get more support from non christians than from your church?

I appreciate the concern and direction. I have been here for quite a while. I actually have read many of the members testimonies, including yours. I actually have used your testimony to fellow believers that dont believe were in the last days.

I told them about your testimony, I make the point, for them to think. Think about """blank"" in the church stopped coming to church one day, or even for that matter, who do we really know in our church. My point was to my fellow believers, that we dont know who believes what, and what state of worship and fear they are in for the Lord. Only the Lord knows a persons true heart.

Yo Yo the fact that you do this will not garner respect from me or others here.

We are not fallen, misguided or hellbound. If you are trying to score a few points of us in front of your church buddies - HA HA - Very funny. I'm sure that will improve your social standing with your parish flock. Why not have a cake stall or something instead of ratting on us to your buddies?

I have used a lot of the testimonies in this fashion, to warn the church. The scripture is coming to pass. The Spirit of the AntiChrist(those who reject Christ). Jesus said those that are not with Him are againist Him. Hence, my logic. There would be false teachings. We would have to live beside the unbelievers(Wheat and the thorns, Biblically).

Yes it's called the human race - we are all special YoYo, and the sooner you and your buddies realise that the better.

Anyhow, not trying to put anyone on the spot. I use this site as an informational tool, and a place to put my notions and thoughts, Biblically.

Go back to Trib Forces then and read the rules of this Forum.

Okay....let's say your right about this for a moment. Obviously god being GOD would be more than capable of speaking to each and every one of us in ways we would clearly be able to accept as coming from a divine being.

Let's say this is a given.

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??!!

How DARE you presume to have the kind of monsterous ego required to think that god needs you to tell us a damn thing.....when god is perfectly capable of delivering his own messages?

You have no right to be spouting SHIT. God talks to you? Fine. Whatever. God is perfectly capable of talking to each and every one of us as well. God requires no human messeger to play "pass it on" like some demented prankster (oh wait.....that's the god from the bible).

God may have specific messages for each of us.....but we're having a hard time hearing because "someone" can't seem to shut up and quit polluting our life experiences with his own "look at me" ego trip.

That's the main problem with the bible. It's just one big phlegmy CLOT of ego-trip stories of people "touched by god" who think everyone else needs to believe and experience god through their own "special" eyes.

I especially loved the preachy shit you gave your wife when she was about to go into surgery. Instead of having an intimate moment where your personal bond was strengthened with the sweet assurance of your being there for her no matter what......YOU had to go and drag the rotted corpse of religion into the room and toss it at her before she went under the anesthesia.

How nice. :Hmm:

Hah! I guess Im Hell bound now, saying I wouldnt topic anymore.

Oh well.

Anyhow, I have some questions directed only toward THOSE THAT WERE FORMER DEVOUT, SINCERE, REALLY CARED FORMER CHRISTIANS:

I feel its fair that some people give me some logical answers. I am not trying to convert anyone, just putting my thoughts about the whole God is false, Bible is false, notion out there.

Comments: I do have some thoughts and comments I would like to share, not shove down anyones throat. 

Okay, since I'm the one who called you a liar (and you still have not apologized to all of the honest posters on this site for doing so, nor provided me with an explanation as to why your god gives you conflicting instructions on posting on this site), I'll answer your two questions.

#1: the issue was christianity's teaching on homosexuality and the teaching on hell. See my posting "sittin' on the dock of the bay" in the old forum for the complete story. Simply put, I found that being an abomination in the eyes of god didn't jive with reality - I wasn't evil for wanting love just like anyone else. Nor did the idea that everyone who does not believe basic christian tenets (sin, virgin birth, death and ressurection of Jesus, need for redemption) is bound for hell seem in the least bit humane. Both teachings were just too sadistic and cruel for me to believe anymore.

#2: I started making adult choices about the direction of my life, instead of waiting for a non-existent god to give me some clues as to what I should do. I found some peace of mind.

It is finished.  (ominous music plays in the background) :grin:

I've decided to not quote authors, movies, music lyrics in my sig line and only to find interesting quotes from people on the forums.  You're first.

:thanks: ...not worthy...but very honored.

bdp

listening to Midnight Oil right now - OMG, those guys rocked back in the day...

Well, had time to respond (by your other accusations). You didn't. Obviously you are a liar with other motives that you didn't state, only implied, just like I thought.

So, I politely request that you go to hell you lying bitch. I took the time to give you a serious response, least you could do is acknowledge it.

Have a nice day,

JBG

PS Keep in mind that Jesus loves you, but everyone else knows that you're an asshole. Take solace in that.

I appreciate the concern and direction. I have been here for quite a while. I actually have read many of the members testimonies, including yours. I actually have used your testimony to fellow believers that dont believe were in the last days.

The believer that don't believe we're in the last days were right. They're the sane ones, but you, Yoyo, are the insane one. Go see a mental health professial. Also you're a gossiper. What a descipable person you are. Some of these testimonies contain really horrible secrets the people poured out.

WHAT A JERK YOU ARE!!!!

I depise persons who capitalise on people's pains to prove a God!

I told them about your testimony, I make the point, for them to think. Think about """blank"" in the church stopped coming to church one day, or even for that matter, who do we really know in our church. My point was to my fellow believers, that we dont know who believes what, and what state of worship and fear they are in for the Lord. Only the Lord knows a persons true heart.

Blah. Sure they need to know about EXC but not in this way! The EXCers here went through things so horrible you can't imagine.

So many people was honest but you, Yoyo denied their right to tell who they want and stopped their trust of you.

I have used a lot of the testimonies in this fashion, to warn the church. The scripture is coming to pass. The Spirit of the AntiChrist(those who reject Christ). Jesus said those that are not with Him are againist Him. Hence, my logic. There would be false teachings. We would have to live beside the unbelievers(Wheat and the thorns, Biblically).

The scriptures's ain't coming to pass, Yoyoer! There's no such thing as Jesus Christ, Anti Christ. Either you accept reality or stew in a padded cell.

I plead, you will leave forever! No one will be converted because we're too far gone to Christian ever again.

When you WILL learn?

And just to make the point, I'm not one of those you evidently considered to have fallen off your boat; I was never taking that trip in the first place. Just in case the metaphor proves a little too dense, I have never been a Christian. I originally came to the religion in the interests of exploring it academically as it seemed incredibly important to alot of people. After attempting to read the bible as a historical document, and finding that it doesn't function as such, then as a philosophical treatise, and finding it contradictory, morally reprehensible and psychologicall perverse, I thought it might be fun to examine in what political/socio-cultural conditions the various books of the bible were produced, and how the various perceptions and attitudes they promote in the religion's adherents exist and function as a product of political intention, and socio-cultural necessity.

Until you can explain to me rationally and coherently why I am required to adhere to, or even defend my non-adherence towards Christianity any more than I am the polytheistic religions of Ancient Greece, Egypt, and Mesopotamia, or the other monotheistic faiths such as Islam or Judaism, then I see no reason in engaging with you or any other Christian who seeks to impose their own belief-systems on me, and thereby reinforce the ideological structure by which they define themselves internally. You get what I am saying? Your very promotion of a particular pre-established ideology is selfish in the extreme; it demonstrates a profound fear and hostility towards any way of life or perceptual and/oir behavioural ideology which exists outside the opne you have CHOSEN to defione yourself by.

A relevant question might be, "how is your self-definition as atheist/agnostic/pagan/whatever any different?" The difference my friend is openness and tolerance; I fully acknowledge that not only are there varying cultures in this wide-ranging and deliciously various country we call humanity, but that every human being differs subtly from its brothers and sisters, even if those differences are so subtle as to be imperceptible or redundant in practical; or social terms. Furthermore, I recognise the LEGITIMACY of other perspectives, and the existence of cultural/religious/spiritual variety in this world; a factor which my lack of adherence to any particular religion or spiritual ideology ALLOWS me to do. Furthermore, my fluidity and transience of perspective, in essence, the very lack of BELIEF or selfish, selfish conviction which adherents of neurotic monotheistic faith seem so universally repelled by (exposing as it does a fundamental psychological and perceptual weakness on their behalf) allows me to transform, and adapt, and to regard whatever claims or perspectives I am presented with CRITICALLY.

The reason I despise, and universally denounce most monotheistic faiths is because I find them reprehensible on a number of levels. The notion of absolute truth is perverse, particularly when it is based on nothing other than conviction without measurable basis. The moment an individual entertains a notion of absolute truth, is the moment he or she begins to rely far too heavily on an external psychological crutch; an implement they then use to bludgeon into the dirt everyone who does not have a similar disability. Until you can rationally argue otherwise, without spouting the stock-diatribes we have become so familiar with on these forums, then do not even try to engage with me, because I consider it a waste of my time and energy.

Madame M has hit the nail on the head. Faith, a "quality" generally promoted as positive and desirable, is when considered critically, one of the most psychologically perverse and destructive concepts the human race in its folly devised. It necessitates blind and witless adherence to a notion or ideal of which the adherent can never be certain, but by which they are obliged to define themselves. Therefore, over time the notion becomes crystallised in the adherent's psyche as fundamental; as something which must be defended at all costs, regardless of the validity of arguments or evidence brought against it. Faith is the prisoner in love with his cage, fearful of stepping into the outside world after so long spent finding meaning in the filth and darkness.