Goodbye Jesus

Foolish Atheists

cm_christ

reposted from another site , i thought i might feed the lions and let you guys tear apart the flesh of another foolish argument , enjoy your feast, and try to keep it orderly :HaHa:

10. You vigorously deny the existence of God, yet you frequently blame Him for all the "evils" in the world, all the natural disasters, and everything else under the sun that is wrong in modern society.

9. You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when creationists say that people were created in the image and likeness of God, but you have no problem with the evolutionist claim that we all evolved from slime by a cosmic accident.

8. You criticize fundamental Christians who believe the Bible, and say that it can't possibly be true because it's just a book written by mere men, yet you never question any of Darwin's writings or Richard Dawkins' books.

7. You can't seem to understand the primary differences between fundamental Muslims and fundamental Christians (hint: strap-on TNT. Plus - Muhammad says, "kill innocent people and yourself if you love me." Jesus Christ said, "I'll die for you because I love you").

6. You say the Bible is full of fairytales and fables, yet you believe all life forms including plants, trees, insects, birds, fish, reptiles and mammals evolved from one species into another - As if evolution isn't the biggest fairytale of them all.

5. You laugh at the Supernatural, even though scientists have calculated the odds of life forming by natural processes to be estimated less than 1 chance in 10 to the 40,ooo power - But you find nothing wrong with believing that billions of years full of random mutations would result in the impossible.

4. You accuse fundamental Christians of being intolerant, judgmental and hateful, while you foam at the mouth calling them freaking lunatics, ignorant, weak-minded, stupid fundies, and hateful bigots.

3. You ignore scientific concepts like cause and effect, and you don't realize that a closed system can be defined however the observer wants, so you throw out technological phrases to try to ignore the implications of thermodynamics by saying the laws of physics are not set in stone.

2. While all evidence, logic and reasoning point to a Creator and absolute truth, you prefer to hide behind relativism and a theory of evolution which does not, in fact, describe the creation of the universe at all, or why concepts of good and evil or morality exist.

1. *Atheism fails to adequately explain the existence of eternal, unchanging truths, for it rejects the existence of an eternal unchanging mind. Atheism cannot offer man any eternal significance whatsoever. Temporary meaning in life is insufficient, for our accomplishments die with the death of the universe -- there is no ultimate purpose in a universe void of God.

Who the hell wrote that inane drivel? Seems I've read it somewhere before...memory fails at the moment though...

10. Shit happens. Can't blame someone who doesn't exist for everything.

9. What? I don't feel insulted or dehumanized regardless of how I came to be.

8. Um...the whole point of those books is to encourage people to ASK questions. Plus I've only read bits by either writer.

7. Crazy is as crazy does. Religion = crazy.

6. How can you understand evolution if you don't read anything about it?

5. Out of millions of sperm cells you apparently won the race...

4. I only say those things out of love.

3. WTF?

2. No...all evidence, logic, and reason point to something that happened for us to be here. A "creator" is a presumptive conclusion.

1. Duh...obviously. We aren't eternal.

• Super Moderator
4. I only say those things out of love.

I always said, "Hate the stupidity, love the stupid."

I shouldn't say these people are stupid. Some are, but I know many who are quite intelligent. But as I recall, while under the spell of the cult, your brain's logic module is disconnected.

- Chris

Nothing an asteroid strike wouldn't cure...

10. You vigorously deny the existence of God, yet you frequently blame Him for all the "evils" in the world, all the natural disasters, and everything else under the sun that is wrong in modern society.

And christians stubbornly refure to acknowledge the difference between the existence of such a being, and the side effects the belief in such a being cause. And they refuse to acknowledge that is what atheists are really referring to. Instead, they use it as the smallest straw possible to support the idea that atheists "really do" believe in the being in question because it's easier than acknowledging the very real and damaging problems religious belief is responsible for.

9. You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when creationists say that people were created in the image and likeness of God, but you have no problem with the evolutionist claim that we all evolved from slime by a cosmic accident.

This is a projection. Christians are insulted and dehumanized when being confronted with evidence that we developed over time, no different and no more "special" than anything else that has developed right along with us. They feel this way, because their massively childish ego requires that humans MUST be the center of the universe, in order to extrapolate their own individual importance over everyone else.

8. You criticize fundamental Christians who believe the Bible, and say that it can't possibly be true because it's just a book written by mere men, yet you never question any of Darwin's writings or Richard Dawkins' books.

What a compliment. By stating this, Christians are putting Darwin's works on the same level as the bible they alternately try to claim has more authority than any other book on the planet. This statement also denies the research and experimentation that christians hate and loathe quite openly, as being a constant testing and re-testing of Darwin's theory. It is questioned all the time. Christians who would say this are merely sulking that the scienific evidence points away from all humans created fully formed in a flash sporting the most fashionable hairstyle.

7. You can't seem to understand the primary differences between fundamental Muslims and fundamental Christians (hint: strap-on TNT. Plus - Muhammad says, "kill innocent people and yourself if you love me." Jesus Christ said, "I'll die for you because I love you").

This is religious rascism. And neither character is recorded as saying either thing. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, pretty sure the Jesus character said something more along the lines of "My god, my god. Why have your forsaken me?" which is all too human, and not the plea of a willing and fully cognizant sacrifice, nor the words of a 3 in one demi-god (Me, Me. Why have your forsaken me?).

6. You say the Bible is full of fairytales and fables, yet you believe all life forms including plants, trees, insects, birds, fish, reptiles and mammals evolved from one species into another - As if evolution isn't the biggest fairytale of them all.

What a failed attempt at an insult. But then, it's hard to have "bite" when you have no teeth.

5. You laugh at the Supernatural, even though scientists have calculated the odds of life forming by natural processes to be estimated less than 1 chance in 10 to the 40,ooo power - But you find nothing wrong with believing that billions of years full of random mutations would result in the impossible.

You find nothing mysterious about your own existence, despite the odds having been 1 to 500,000,000 for your conception alone. Let's not even go into your odds for having come to full term. Such odds are NORMAL for the workings of the universe, whether christians bother to understand that or not.

4. You accuse fundamental Christians of being intolerant, judgmental and hateful, while you foam at the mouth calling them freaking lunatics, ignorant, weak-minded, stupid fundies, and hateful bigots.

Such can only be said of christians who write of Fred Phelps and company, protesters outside abortion clinics as "not true christians". They'd really be happier if atheists would really behave they way they actually do, and protest christianity outside churches. This would give them a lot more weight when they try to claim "persecution" while living in one of the most religiously tolerant countries on earth.

3. You ignore scientific concepts like cause and effect, and you don't realize that a closed system can be defined however the observer wants, so you throw out technological phrases to try to ignore the implications of thermodynamics by saying the laws of physics are not set in stone.

And christians misuse the laws of thermodymamics by trying to think that the earth is a closed system. It is not. There's this big bright annoying ball of superheated energy outside it that influences it!

2. While all evidence, logic and reasoning point to a Creator and absolute truth, you prefer to hide behind relativism and a theory of evolution which does not, in fact, describe the creation of the universe at all, or why concepts of good and evil or morality exist.

False premise.

1. *Atheism fails to adequately explain the existence of eternal, unchanging truths, for it rejects the existence of an eternal unchanging mind. Atheism cannot offer man any eternal significance whatsoever. Temporary meaning in life is insufficient, for our accomplishments die with the death of the universe -- there is no ultimate purpose in a universe void of God.

See? They survive by Ego and Ego alone. They will reject anything that questions their own self-importance. They cannot live in a world or universe they are not the absolute center of, or see any value in existence beyond the perceived opportunity of "bragging rights" after death about how great and righteous "theirs" was. Their heaven is subjecting others to what amounts to "home movies" for the rest of time. Best evidence I can think of for the existence of a Hell actually.

cm, to quote Barenaked Ladies, "it's all been done before." I've see these same stupid xtian arguments, and more, answered many times over in my short time on the boards. :blah:

The person who wrote that stuff is actually quite educated--just in the wrong stuff. Look at the complex sentences and ideas, the good punctuation, the several-syllable words. It's well-written and flows so well you can almost hear it thundering down from a pulpit along with fist-pounding. Like Gramps says, an asteroid strike would fix him--I'm fairly confident it's a him rather than a her because schools and churches that preach the fire and brimstone sermons this person is being prepared for don't trust women to that kind of education.

If he thinks his thunder and thumping can pound fear into the heart of this atheist he's got a few most guesses coming. He's so far off the mark as to be ludicrous. Kinda like a seven-year-old who has just emerged from a solemn conference with his first-grade colleagues and approaches his teacher with the fiercest and most deadly warnings about hell he can muster and preaches at her like he has seen his daddy do in church and is convicted he must do to save her soul.

From the lofty heights of the realms above the teacher's desk she smiles at him as she patiently outwaits his rant. Then she asks him who is winning in Snakes and Ladders.

Of course, we can't ask the fundy preacher such a mundane question because it would outrage him and possibly provoke him to violence. But we can acknowledge having heard him and wish him a good day, then pursue our own happy lives with nary a backward glance.

Nothing must be quite as maddening to the rabid fundy's dire warnings as the cheerful indifference of the well-adjusted atheist.

I get some of those ideas from the interactions I had with that fundy cop on that fundy forum the other week. Some of the things he said to me make sense only if I assume that he was baffled that I wouldn't be cowed by his hints of hell.

Some months ago I came across a guide for boys on how to witness to atheists. It was written by Focus of the Family. I contacted FOF and informed them that they should do a fact-check to be sure that atheists actually believed the stuff they were preparing their boys to witness about. I provided links for the fact-check. The person who responded got defensive and told me that just because I personally didn't believe it didn't say other atheists didn't believe it. Obviously, he didn't do the fact-check.

I don't understand this kind of attitude but somehow they don't consider it necessary to do their homework. Thus, they construct elaborate strawmen in houses of cards (NOTE: Jesus had houses built on sand; these days the fakes use only cards) that blow over with but the swish of a skirt or fan's breeze. And the strawmen--how many bullets can they take in the heart before falling over? I guess eventually the structure would burn out but until then the guy could take any amount of bullets.

These silly games cannot even touch real atheists.

And I would counter that a silly message is still silly, no matter how clearly it's written or pefectly punctuated. Shit in a pretty box is still shit, and this guy said absolutely nothing new.

And I would counter that a silly message is still silly, no matter how clearly it's written or pefectly punctuated. Shit in a pretty box is still shit, and this guy said absolutely nothing new.

Are you saying that to me? I called it a silly game. See Post 9. You might have to read closely to see the connections but they are there. In Post 8 I say that although he's educated, it's in the wrong stuff.

The OP asked us to rip it apart. I took that to mean to critique it. Evaluating the quality of writing is a legitimate part of a critique. He does not claim to say anything new so I can't fault him for failing to do so.

He comes across to me as part of the brainwashing machine. Can't dare say anything new on there; you'd get kicked out before the piston came down second time.

RubySera, I meant no personal attack. I re-read your post and you're quite correct on your points. The OP is fairly new and I just wanted to make the point that this is the standard xtian argument(s) and has and will be used time and time again. Looks like with a holy book and 2000 years practice, they would come up with something new.:blah:

Larry

Sounds fun - I'll give it a go :)

No we don't. It would be stupid to blame something you don't believe in. I've never, ever heard an atheist blame god for natural disasters.

We don't feel insulted and dehumanized. We just find it very unlikely and that there is no evidence for it.

And evolution is not accident. It is a process. Eggs don't cook 'by accident' when you apply heat - they follow physical laws. Same with evolution.

Not quite. We say that the Bible is a book written by men so it cannot be infallible. We would also say the same thing of books written by Darwin or by Dawkins. Any book written by men is fallible and needs to be backed up with evidence from the real world. Scientific theories, like those proposed by Darwin, have been backed up with evidence from the real world. :rolleyes:

The fundamental differences seem to be merely a matter of time and political power - as the behaviour of christians during the middle ages shows.

Unbelievable things can be true sometimes. Who'd have thought that the earth goes round the sun when it seems to the naked eye as if the sun goes round the earth? Who'd have suspected that rainbows were the result of white light being split apart by raindrops?

The difference between unbelievable scientific theories and the unbelievable tales of the Bible is that science is backed up by evidence and experiment while the stories in the bible have very little evidence to back them up (especially the miraculous ones)

We live in a Universe with thousands of galaxies, each containing millions of stars. The odds of life developing may be slim but it was bound to happen somewhere. Obviously you exist on a planet where life did arise - because you are alive. There'd be no-one on any of the planets where life didn't arise to even wonder about these questions.

Oh, and stop confusing evolution with the origin of life. I fail to see how the unlikeliness of life arising in the first place should mean that I have to doubt the theory of evolution (how the many forms of life developed from the microscopic cells that were the first form of life)

Intolerance tends to provoke that reaction.

How do most people feel about nazis and the ku klux klan?

I don't know anything about 'closed systems' or thermodynamics.

Unlike fundamentalist christians who are always arguing against evolutionary theory even though they reveal very little knowledge about it - I don't believe in arguing concepts that I have very little knowledge of.

I'll leave it to someone who knows some physics to answer that one, since I don't have the first idea what you are talking about.

And these last two are too stupid for me to even bother with.

But really this is no fun when the person who wrote all that isn't even here to argue their case.

RubySera, I meant no personal attack. I re-read your post and you're quite correct on your points. The OP is fairly new and I just wanted to make the point that this is the standard xtian argument(s) and has and will be used time and time again. Looks like with a holy book and 2000 years practice, they would come up with something new. :blah:

Larry

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I've wondered myself why they don't come up with something new. If they feel so threatened, logic would suggest that it's better to strengthen their own argument than to gun the enemy. If they did their homework, they would see that we are deconverting because of the serious holes in the logic of their theology and they would find ways to fill it other than with the old "faith is not logical."

It seems the only churches that are able to keep their pews occupied are those that either feed on new converts or use cultural religion where you can be a christian in name only. That's how the church functioned for centuries. Both adapt to the times. The first use heavy propaganda that ties in with popular fears and needs, while the second "legalizes" everything the world has to offer so that people don't have to compromise their brains or their bodies in order to belong. At least, so it looks to me.

But the one thing cultural religion requires is money. And in order to get money, it must justify its own existence in the mind of the people. Thus, propaganda is required, too. Providing basic social care such as schools and hospitals makes a pretty convincing statement. But only so long as the People are convinced that the Church can do it better than the State.

Let's take a look at who is doing the better job. In my city there are two hospitals. One is St. Mary's and is Catholic. The other is public, state operated. When I was a child, one could choose which hospital one preferred. Today each hospital specializes in its own fields and cooperates with the other. St. Mary's is perhaps the size of a quarter of one of the many wings of the secular hospital. When I was a child in the 1960s, the secular hospital had three wings. Today it is a maze many times the size it was then. They are always adding another multi-million-dollar project. If size of hospital is any indication, then the secular state is by and far doing the better job in this community.

Of course, I did not factor in the anti-Catholicism element that may also play a role in this particular community. Maybe Protestants, Anabaptists, and nonChristian religionists prefer to support the nonCatholic hospital when it comes to charitable donations and services, etc.

One thing I know, we've got a lot of innovative talent when it comes to business, but when it comes to religion, people around here are very seriously conservative. At times it really does seem that "God helps those who help themselves." No new ideas in religion from this quarter.

Another Christian reading my mind for me.

Yup, definitely into mind-reading. Maybe he should read his bible. Jesus said to deny oneself. That, taken to its logical conclusion, means suicide.

Some more mind-reading of total strangers whose existence he knows nothing of.

Oh? Now he is watching me. Big Brother, huh? Must be God.

I have yet to learn how to foam at the mouth. Maybe he could teach me. I do find him to be very intolerant, judgmental, and hateful. If he doesn't want to be called those things he could start by not being that way. But it's his choice. As for the other names he calls himself--I'm laughing. I couldn't have thought them up myself if I tried--not all in one blue streak like that.

I cannot imagine what this is based on except that he is totally brainwashed and believes what his church tells him about atheists. Anyway, he's mind-reading and he's reading totally wrong, because it was cause and effect was the foundational influence for my deconversion. Cause and effect does not explain the Plan of Salvation, so I could not profess it. Without professing it, one can hardly be a christian. I guess his God-playing is back-firing on him big time.

Not if you use real science. Oh, and I prefer to hide. Yes, he's right on one item at least. Sometimes I do prefer to hide. It's not worth the energy to fight mind-readers like him.

This presumes that I want an ultimate purpose and eternal significance.

WHAT!!!!! I should want my accomplishments to outlast the universe????? How arrogant can miserable man be?

That is such utter rubbish that I can't help but saying SOMETHING, yet I don't think I have the energy to dignify such nonsense with a point by point response.

I'll just grab the first one, then:

WTF!!!!!!!??????????????

How can I blame something that doesn't exist for tragedies and the ills of the world!!????? Nice fabrication! I suppose that next s/he'll accuse atheists of blaming the Easter Bunny for cavities and high cholesterol!

See? They survive by Ego and Ego alone. They will reject anything that questions their own self-importance. They cannot live in a world or universe they are not the absolute center of, or see any value in existence beyond the perceived opportunity of "bragging rights" after death about how great and righteous "theirs" was. Their heaven is subjecting others to what amounts to "home movies" for the rest of time. Best evidence I can think of for the existence of a Hell actually.

Sorry I didn't read the thread before replying. I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the detailed posts but your replies are brilliant, white raven--all of them, not just this one. You know your science and you know how to give it to him. I wish he'd get to face your answers. I bet he'd turn tail and flee. Of course, he'd claim some lame excuse to make himself look good, such as "You can't make atheists believe if they so obviously don't want to."

That has the emotional effect of leaving us feeling like we haven't made our point. But we have and they know it.

That is such utter rubbish that I can't help but saying SOMETHING, yet I don't think I have the energy to dignify such nonsense with a point by point response.

I'll just grab the first one, then:

WTF!!!!!!!??????????????

How can I blame something that doesn't exist for tragedies and the ills of the world!!????? Nice fabrication! I suppose that next s/he'll accuse atheists of blaming the Easter Bunny for cavities and high cholesterol!

See? If you can get SNM swearing you know it's REALLY BAD.

As pointed out by another poster, the premise is faulty.

But even if it's assumed as valid, Christianity mocks the so-called absolute truth that the Creator provided.

Christianity boldly declares that the moral absolutes which are embodied by God's law, have been replaced by faith in a human sacrifice called "Jesus".

The sacrifice itself was not in compliance with the law nor did God ever declare that his laws would be replaced.

The Bible God stated that obeying his laws would lead to salvation and righteousness.

In Christian theology, the law is portrayed as a yoke that hinders salvation.

The Hebrew scriptures teach nothing of the sort, but Christians don't care.

According to Christian teachings, Jesus was the end of the law(Rom 10:4).

They ignore the sabbath, the food laws, and any other law that they deem outdated or relative.

Christians are the ones that hide behind relativism.

They give God a big middle finger and prance around claiming to be "saved".

The foolishness resides in those that preach and believe in this hypocritical and warped theology.

reposted from another site , i thought i might feed the lions and let you guys tear apart the flesh of another foolish argument , enjoy your feast, and try to keep it orderly :HaHa:

I have to protest, right here, I refuse to keep it orderly!!! :vent:

:HaHa:

Where the heck do they get that from? Why do they think that unbelievers blame God for the evils in the world??? I blame humans for the evil in the world, not God. But we can argue from the evils in the world that God, if he exists, really doesn't care about if people are hurt or not.

Again, where they heck do they get their postulations from? Why would I feel "dehumanized" if God created us??? But it's weird that Creationists believe that God created humans from dirt, is that really any better than slime?

:HaHa: That's quite a funny argument, and silly. Every scientists challenge both authors writings, and tested them, and modified and revised them. There's no un-questioning at all, but a lot of peer-review going on constantly of their writings. But it's because of the peer-review that we know that they're not far from the target.

Well, yeah, there is a difference between blind fundamentalism who bomb buildings for a political cause and people who bomb abortion clinics for a religious cause.... wait... they both do hurt innocent people... what was the question again?

Eh, no, evolution isn't a fairy tale, it's science.

The chances for the C-vitamin deficiency to be cause by the exact same ERV is even less probable than life to form, so God must have intentionally given chimpanzees that exact same deficiency to fool us to think that we are related. Oh, and it goes for the other 20 ERVs or so too. ERV's can only be shared through procreation, so we either come from apes, or God is a liar. That's based on observed evidence.

Amen. Finally something we can agree on.

Stupid argument. Go back to the drawing board please. Laws of thermodynamics holds, even for evolution, and for the universe, but only because scientists know how to figure it out instead of reading an inconsistent holy book.

The logic and reasoning which is talked about here, was formulated by a philosopher that was not a Christian, but a Greek philosopher. So we should believe in ...? What exactly? Which God was it that Plato and Aristotle believed in again?

It does not fail to adequately explain the existence of eternal, unchanging truths, because eternal and unchanging truths do not need an eternal and unchanging mind. If that mind existed, the it must use eternal and unchanging truths itself, which means that those truths are external and beyond that being. So that being must be subservient to those truths, or those truths are created and not eternal. So either those truths exists on their own, without the creator, or they are not eternal.

Too bad Christians only use 5 brain cells. If they used only a few more, reality would hit them and they would understand what goes on, but I guess all that oooglabaloogla speaking in tongues have destroyed the last brain mass they had left.

My response is two-pronged...

If you are correct, then you have nothing to worry about and since your words may fall of deaf ears, you ultimately may not feel anything for us after you lose contact with us or you may feel bad for a while but it fades with time, so your worry for us is ultimately pointless.

If you are not correct, you are on with the dirt and worms like we are, therefore anything you did in this life either temporarily or life-long is ultimately pointless.

Either way, any belief system you have doesn't keep you for expiring, therefore it may be ultimately pointless to keep.