Goodbye Jesus

Spreading Like A Wildfire

Vendredie

So I live in Northeastern North Carolina, where there has been this huge wildfire. my neighborhood was threatened. I was up in Virginia Beach to see Barack Obama but I had to leave before he came out because of this 800-acre fire in my area. Fortuantely my house didn't get damaged (the fire came close to my neighborhood but didn't damage anything) and it is contained.

So my mom is constantly going on about praying and thanking God we got out okay. Wtf? I didn't pray. I didn't thank God fo r getting out okay. There was a voluntary evacuation and my parents chose to get us out of there with our stuff before the fire got too close. I didn't pray to God to get us out. Really. My mom was infuriating last night. My sister sent out a Myspace bulletin saying "please pray." wtf.

I am sooooooooooooooooo sick of people telling me to pray and thank God. Every time there is a crisis... somebody has to press their beliefs on me. First the band teacher, now the fire. Each time I've been told to pray or go to church. NO. I can't go back to Xianity.

Does anyone else have this problem? :(

Not a single fuckin' word about the Firefighters, trucks, aircraft, equipment, training and availability to go fight this complex?

Offuckingcoursenot!

Not a single word about the WATER it takes to quench the messes. No word about the back breaking labor on firelines.

Betcha theres just a brief "ThankYaJebus" for foam, mechanics, airdrops, etc, so on, so forth, blah de blah..

But "ThankYeGowhd!"

Give them fine folks a pulaski tool next fire..

k, FF, FL

I usually solve this problem with the Moses test.

We take two equal piles of dry wood. They can pray for fire, and I'll use a lighter. We'll see who can start a fire first.

If they can manage, I'll thank Jesus for saving my ass from whatever disaster was averted.

[if you really want to be mean to the 'over faithful' who might be willing to try. Make a wager with them so they have to write thank you notes to any local rescue teams involved without using any religious reference after they fail.]

Each time I've been told to pray or go to church. NO. I can't go back to Xianity.

The way I see it you have no other choice. You must pray in their presence...

"Dear Satan, I want to thank you for sparing us from the blazing inferno with your infinite powers. Please O Lord let those gathered here understand your path that you have laid out for each of us and make clear how you will help us ultimately crush those that oppose us under foot. In your blessed name. Amen."

They wanted you back in the religion...they didn't clarify which *side*. ;) Atheist (whatever) will probably be looking pretty damn good after this.

mwc

I hear you!

After nearly seven years of trying and countless hours of research and study, I finally have gotten the job I've been wanting to get since 1992. In the past two years, I determined that I was the captain of my ship and the master of my fate and really began WORKING to bring myself into the areas of being considered for the job. For five years, prayer didn't even get me an interview. But having a never quit attitude and knowing that I had the qualifications for the job drove me when I felt discouraged and thought I may as well give up. I'll be hired for the position today and, though many people have helped me along the way, I've been the one who's done the necessary work.

In the past two days, I've heard:

"God is faithful!"

"You just had to wait upon the Lord!"

"NOW is the time in God's plan that you were ready for the job!"

"See? Ask and ye shall receive!"

"I guess God was saying, "Wait", huh?"

No. None of that. I worked my ass off. That's what made it happen. Me. I did it. I put in the time and effort and now it's paid off. Period.

Are you daring to think that maybe gawd could have just not let the fire start in the first place?

Are you daring to think that maybe gawd could have just not let the fire start in the first place?

(cue john hagee voice-over)

That was satan rising Up from his place in hell and trying to walk upon the earth and commun with you bastard godless no god-niks....praise jesus for stopping satans infernal rage upon gods good earth..praise jesus :woohoo:

Possibly, if he exists. But everyone's liek "God will get you through this! Just pray and everything will be okay!" BS. That's what it is. I should thank God for preventing me from seeing Barack Obama, nearly burning my house and my nieghborhood down, and blowing smoke all over the place? BS!

Of course, now I'm an ungrateful sinner because I didn't thank God for my survival. We left while the evacuation was still voluntary! VOLUNTARY! WE survived ON OUR OWN. The FIREFIGHTERS prevented the fire from burning our house down.

ugh.

That'd never happen. God is a pyromaniac. What with the burning bushes, all the burnt offerings, and the endless fires of hell? God has fire on the brain. And every now and then one of his little "projects" gets out of control... and then he gets the glory when the firefighters put it out! Sweet deal that! ;)

So do they think that god was planning to torch your house, but because they asked nicely he didn't? Sounds like a pretty weak god to be influenced by peons. It's awfully arrogant of them to think they have power over god.

It's awfully arrogant of them to think they have power over god.

...not to mention that prayer could possibly change the mind of a being who already knows what the outcome will be. The old "God's will" thing, you know. Why bother?

No. None of that. I worked my ass off. That's what made it happen. Me. I did it. I put in the time and effort and now it's paid off. Period.

Absolutely. I understand your frustration with other people's comments. Sometimes I get those, too. Not too often nowadays, though.

Congrats for making it all happen. You deserve your success!

Personally, I'd just reply and point out that if God has power to save us and did then he's also a complete cunt for not saving loads of other people from the same thing.

My family were once talking about a woman who lost her husband and two of her three children in a car crash. The first thing that came to mind for my uncle was that God saved her one of her kids. I managed to bite my tongue, but I was thinking what a bastard he was for not saving the rest of her loved ones.