Goodbye Jesus

Ice Storm Brings Revelation!

Kenny

I've mentioned before that I have a fantastic wife. She's a believer and that's cool with me. She's a fantastic wife, a great mother, is a tiger in the sack and at 40 years of age, she looks even better than she did when I met her at age 19. She's one of the few people who know that I no longer believe and, though it causes her concern and she doesn't understand it, she still loves me just the same and treats me great.

It's also important for me to mention that I'm in no way, shape, or form attempting to get her to renounce her faith or see things the way I do. I attend church with her and our kids and it's cool with me to do so. I have a happy home life and she's a big part of the reason why. I dig that chick!

Yesterday, in my neck of the woods, we had a crippling ice storm. Bad news! We live in a military community and they were closing EVERYTHING to include the post and letting the kids out of school early. I'd gone out and started my pickup to let it warm up so hacking away at the ice wouldn't be such a chore and I'd called her and advised that she do the same. She's an elementary school teacher and she was too busy getting the little ones on the bus that she wasn't able to. Normally, I'd have gone on to the house, but I decided to go by the school and make sure her windows were cleared off. Big points from that alone! As her vehicle was warming up, I was out there for the second time scraping and scratching at 2" of ice. When I got finished, I came back in the school and she told me that I was a good man for doing that for her. I said, "Even though I don't believe in Jesus?" and she smiled and slugged me in the arm. About that time, one of her pentecostal co-workers came into the room with her hands in the air chanting, "Travelling mercies! Travelling mercies! I proclaim travelling mercies! AMEN!" and just as abruptly, walked out the back door of her classroom and went on her way out to her iced over vehicle. I immediately looked over at my wife and said, "Well, I guess that settles everything, doesn't it?" For the first time since I've told her I no longer believe, she saw the foolishness and the superstitiousness of religion. She was embarassed at the display her co-worker put on. I've never seen that in her before, but she realized how utterly stupid what that lady did was. I smiled at her and told her, "Sweety, if you use your 4 wheel drive and watch what's going on, you'll get home just fine. No need for travelling mercies. Just pay attention." I followed her home just to make sure she was okay.

Later that evening, she thanked me for helping her with her windows and for making her feel better about travelling in the ice. I was kidding with her and said, "See? Aren't God and his travelling mercies so good?" She hugged me and said, "No, but you are."

SCORE ONE FOR THE NON-BELIEVERS!!!

I've mentioned before that I have a fantastic wife. She's a believer and that's cool with me. She's a fantastic wife, a great mother, is a tiger in the sack and at 40 years of age, she looks even better than she did when I met her at age 19. She's one of the few people who know that I no longer believe and, though it causes her concern and she doesn't understand it, she still loves me just the same and treats me great.

Okay...now I hate you...

:P

Kenny Im so glad that you and your wife have such a good relationship. She certainly sounds like a wonderful woman, even more so for being understanding of your deconversion, sounds like the closest thing to "unconditional" love in this universe. You certainly are the luckiest of guys, but you already knew that didnt you?

Later that evening, she thanked me for helping her with her windows and for making her feel better about travelling in the ice. I was kidding with her and said, "See? Aren't God and his travelling mercies so good?" She hugged me and said, "No, but you are."

SCORE ONE FOR THE NON-BELIEVERS!!!

Wonderful story. Thanks so much for posting it.

Enlighten me please... "travelling mercies"?! What the fuck does that mean?

Aside from that though, yup, wonderful story :)

Enlighten me please... "travelling mercies"?! What the fuck does that mean?

Aside from that though, yup, wonderful story :)

As far as I know its a weird sort of travel specific prayer, like a blanket prayer for all things that might go wrong on a trip.

"Dear Lord, please don't let us die in a fiery car crash."

"Dear Lord, please don't let us die in a fiery car crash."

"We didnt burn to death in a fiery crash glory!"

And that is your typical travelling mercy.

In christian school wishing travelling mercies was a surefire way to cop out of thinking up a prayer when called on while still getting nodding approval from your teachers.

Correct definition of "traveling mercies". You guys nailed it!

As wonderful as my wife is, however, she was incredibly pissed at me last summer in regards to said traveling mercies. We were loaded up and headed for Six Flags for a day of dehydration and nausea in the blistering summer heat and she asked that I pray before we left. I'd already totally lost faith by that time and she was aware of it but not accepting of the fact at all. So, my prayer went something like this: "Lord, here we are in the driveway about to hit the interstate. Please protect us as we travel, be with our vehicle, and let us have a great trip. Unless, of course, it is your will that we wind up in the ditch somewhere along the way in a mass of broken glass, twisted steel, and crumpled bodies. Your will be done. Amen."

My daughter and son were giggling and I was pretty pleased with my little prayer. Just havin' some fun, ya know? I don't think we spoke until we got to the amusement park. She was highly pissed off... and worried that we were probably gonna die on the way up.

So, yes. Baby steps are good!!!

:lmao:

"Lord, here we are in the driveway about to hit the interstate. Please protect us as we travel, be with our vehicle, and let us have a great trip. Unless, of course, it is your will that we wind up in the ditch somewhere along the way in a mass of broken glass, twisted steel, and crumpled bodies. Your will be done. Amen."

lol!

This reminds me of when my brother and I spend the holidays at our parents. We are both atheists but not "out" to our very devout parents. After we eat dinner we each are supposed to pray aloud around the table, and it reminds me how out of practice I am at prayer. My brother and my prayers always end up sounding like: "Hey god, thanks for the food and give us a safe trip home, bye."