Goodbye Jesus

Sister Molly Writes Brother Jeff

Brother Jeff

From: http://christianityisbullshit.com/2008/02/...s-brother-jeff/

Sister Molly left a comment today on this post that I think is worthy of a reply here on the main page for all to see. She had this to say:

“I am an open minded individual and when I saw this site I had to check it out. Unfortunately a lot of the points you decided to put in bold red font are just not true. The church doesn’t use fear as a brainwashing tool, but more as a way to keep you on a righteous path. By reminding you that God is an all powerful and omnipotent being, you will be more likely to turn away from sin and make wiser decisions. You must open your Heart to the Lord in order to let Him work miracles in your life, and when people are in a tempted state, it’s human nature to shut that down and mindlessly indulge. By reminding you that God sees all and has the ability to humble you with His mighty power, the church is making sure that you follow His word. If all they do is focus on His innate and abundant love, those who are weak or in a faltering place with their faith may move away from their Heavenly Father. God wants to love you, not punish you, but He won’t hesitate if you’re openly acting against Him.

As far as worship songs go, it may be true that research shows the effects of repetative music and bass lines, but I assure you this is not the church’s desire. The songs are not meant to entertain, but to glorify God in all His splendour, so therefore the chorus will be repeated several times. You’re absorbing the meaning of the song and allowing your Heart to open to the Lord’s love and wonder. Besides, most songs at my church are preformed live on a simple acoustic guitar by volunteer youth. A new member leads each week, and even chooses which songs we sing together. I’m sorry if you’re so convinced that this is a brain washing conspiracy, but I urge you to look away from the church and organized religion. The whole idea is to develop an interpersonal relationship with God, and that’s entirely individual. The function of church is to allow other believers to support you in your Spiritual journey towards the truth.

This is where most misconceptions are developed about Christianity, and therefore about God Himself. Please keep in mind that we are all only humans, and we all have flaws and therefore any organized religion will have its holes. It’s best to keep church and God seperate, and worship Him as your Father and Creator and find out what that really means to YOU personally. Real Christians are striving to be as Christ-like as possible, and that includes the good, clean love of all people just as Jesus preached. If you find a church of harcore converters or appauling hypocrites, do not curse God! Excuse yourself and find a place of support that works for you. But do not curse God or forsake other easily bended minds because of your one-sided opinion. Because it really is just an opinion, and you state it here as fact. “Just so you know-”

Instead of trying to strip this world of Light, present both sides of the argument and trust the individual to make the right decision for themselves. This is their salvation your site is toying with, and it’s such a shame.

I’ve only come to God in the last two years. Before that, I was an athiest whose arrogance refused to revel over both sides. I led a terrible life of despair and misery, and since my parents are not religious, I had no one to help me. But one day I met someone who instead of trying to convert me, offered consolation that made so much sense. When I felt my wounds healing, he revealed to be that his advice had been purely Biblical and he let me know where to find more advice if I’d ever need it. Since then I’ve delved into the teachings of the Bible and began to pray during my yoga and meditations. My life has improved so drastically that I am not even the same person anymore. I know nothing of sorrow now that the Lord’s loving words have taken me in. I’ve been attending my church for about five months, and since I live in a simple mountain town, the closeness of my church is almost dream like, as it works so splendidly.

I have seen those who call themselves Christian and who really aren’t. I have observed those who walk their talk.

But that is God’s job to judge one day, and none of our business, and so we move past these souls and continue working for our greater good. Be the best that you can be, and if He knows you at the end of the day, that is all that matters.”

My response:

Sister Molly: I am an open minded individual and when I saw this site I had to check it out. Unfortunately a lot of the points you decided to put in bold red font are just not true. The church doesn’t use fear as a brainwashing tool, but more as a way to keep you on a righteous path. By reminding you that God is an all powerful and omnipotent being, you will be more likely to turn away from sin and make wiser decisions. You must open your Heart to the Lord in order to let Him work miracles in your life, and when people are in a tempted state, it’s human nature to shut that down and mindlessly indulge. By reminding you that God sees all and has the ability to humble you with His mighty power, the church is making sure that you follow His word. If all they do is focus on His innate and abundant love, those who are weak or in a faltering place with their faith may move away from their Heavenly Father. God wants to love you, not punish you, but He won’t hesitate if you’re openly acting against Him.

Brother Jeff: I wrote that page almost six years ago, and I stand by it. The points I made in bold red are indeed true. The church uses fear to keep the sheep in line, which you admit. Are Christians on a “righteous path” when they commit murder at abortion clinics? Are Christians on a “righteous path” when they hold bigoted and ignorant opinions about homosexuals and openly hate them? Were Christians on a “righteous path” during the Crusades and Inquisition? God is not all-powerful (omnipotent). He seems to have trouble with iron chariots (Judges 1:19). Besides that, God doesn’t even exist! God is a myth. Sin is a mythological concept taken from an ancient Book of Myths. Human nature is what it is and can be explained readily naturally. No supernatural beings or forces are required to explain it. The fields of Psychology and Psychiatry and neuroscience will do. When people are in a tempted state, they tend to act predictably. I was tempted to order pizza tonight for dinner, and I did it and it tasted great! Glory! The bible is not the “word” of a god. It is a collection of ancient religious mythology riddled with contradictions, absurdities, atrocities, myths, fables, and plenty of nonhistorical “history” that reflects the time in which it was written. God is Love? Are you serious? Read your bible! In the Old Testament you will find killing spree after killing spree, and in the New Testament you will still find God killing over the slightest infraction, like being lied to. Read Acts 5. When is the last time you killed someone simply for lying to you? I have no fear of god’s punishment because I am aware of the fact that he doesn’t exist.

Sister Molly: As far as worship songs go, it may be true that research shows the effects of repetative music and bass lines, but I assure you this is not the church’s desire. The songs are not meant to entertain, but to glorify God in all His splendour, so therefore the chorus will be repeated several times. You’re absorbing the meaning of the song and allowing your Heart to open to the Lord’s love and wonder. Besides, most songs at my church are preformed live on a simple acoustic guitar by volunteer youth. A new member leads each week, and even chooses which songs we sing together. I’m sorry if you’re so convinced that this is a brain washing conspiracy, but I urge you to look away from the church and organized religion. The whole idea is to develop an interpersonal relationship with God, and that’s entirely individual. The function of church is to allow other believers to support you in your Spiritual journey towards the truth.

Brother Jeff: The church’s desire aside, the effect remains, and it works well for them. Those in the know, of course, undoubtedly support the use of such music in services. What you are doing is being brainwashed while you are “absorbing the meaning of the words and allowing your Heart to open up to the Lord’s (alleged) love and wonder. It’s really sad that youth get caught up in cults like the fundamentalist Christian one, but they unfortunately do. I don’t have or need an Invisible Friend. Your “relationship” with god is entirely in your mind and there only. The function of the church is to recruit and brainwash believers and to collect money to support the cult through again using fear to “encourage” people to tithe and give “love offerings”. Believers are frequently told that god won’t bless them if they don’t tithe, which of course is just nothing but fear-based bullshit.

Sister Molly: This is where most misconceptions are developed about Christianity, and therefore about God Himself. Please keep in mind that we are all only humans, and we all have flaws and therefore any organized religion will have its holes. It’s best to keep church and God seperate, and worship Him as your Father and Creator and find out what that really means to YOU personally. Real Christians are striving to be as Christ-like as possible, and that includes the good, clean love of all people just as Jesus preached. If you find a church of harcore converters or appauling hypocrites, do not curse God! Excuse yourself and find a place of support that works for you. But do not curse God or forsake other easily bended minds because of your one-sided opinion. Because it really is just an opinion, and you state it here as fact. “Just so you know-”

Brother Jeff: There is no god and ALL religions have holes - many of them! Again, I don’t have or need an Invisible Friend, and neither does anyone else, in my opinion. How do you define a “real” Christian? How can I tell the difference between a “real” Christian and a false one? Jesus preached that if you didn’t believe in him that you would burn for all eternity. Do you call that “good, clean love of all people”? I certainly don’t! My opinion may be one-sided, but it is supported by ALL of the available facts and evidence.

Sister Molly: Instead of trying to strip this world of Light, present both sides of the argument and trust the individual to make the right decision for themselves. This is their salvation your site is toying with, and it’s such a shame.

Brother Jeff: I am trying to add Light to this world - the Light of Reason and Rational Thought. I offer a way out of the darkness of the dogma of fundamentalist religious belief! Christianity has no valid arguments going for it, so how can I present both sides? Sure, Christian apologists have their “arguments” for the faith, but those are easily dealt with since they are based on ignorance of the facts. I do trust individuals to make the right decision for themselves - if they are willing and able to THINK FOR THEMSELVES. Salvation is a religious concept with no demonstrable basis in reality, so I am not “toying” with anything. I am presenting the truth about the bible and the Christian religion for all who visit this site to see, and there is nothing shameful in my doing that.

Sister Molly: I’ve only come to God in the last two years. Before that, I was an athiest whose arrogance refused to revel over both sides. I led a terrible life of despair and misery, and since my parents are not religious, I had no one to help me. But one day I met someone who instead of trying to convert me, offered consolation that made so much sense. When I felt my wounds healing, he revealed to be that his advice had been purely Biblical and he let me know where to find more advice if I’d ever need it. Since then I’ve delved into the teachings of the Bible and began to pray during my yoga and meditations. My life has improved so drastically that I am not even the same person anymore. I know nothing of sorrow now that the Lord’s loving words have taken me in. I’ve been attending my church for about five months, and since I live in a simple mountain town, the closeness of my church is almost dream like, as it works so splendidly.

I have seen those who call themselves Christian and who really aren’t. I have observed those who walk their talk.

Brother Jeff: I’m sorry that your life was miserable before you turned to religion and god belief, but that doesn’t make Christianity true. Christianity makes no rational sense at all. You want Biblical advice? Kill homosexuals. Kill anyone who works on the Sabbath. Be like god and kill anyone who lies to you. Kill, kill, kill… That’s the biblical God for you… Yoga and meditations? That Eastern religion. Are you sure you are really a Christian? Anyone who embraces ANY belief system is going to have changes take place in their lives. Your experience does not point to the alleged truth of Christianity. Again, who is a “real” Christian, and who isn’t? You sound to me like you are really high on god right now! Glory!

Sister Molly: But that is God’s job to judge one day, and none of our business, and so we move past these souls and continue working for our greater good. Be the best that you can be, and if He knows you at the end of the day, that is all that matters.”

Brother Jeff: God doesn’t have a job or an existence. What matters is what is real and what isn’t. And god is not for real and neither is Christianity.

Gees...Bro, that one's a real looney! She didn't string a single sentence without shootin' herself in the ass with the next one!

Excellent response as usual!

I was working on my own reply as I was reading her letter, then I read your response and realized you said exactly what I would have, except infinitely more eloquently. Good job, Jeff.

• Super Moderator

Damn, you're good. Thanks for sharing.

- Chris

More from Sister Molly:

"I appreciate you took the time to answer my comment.

Unfortunately, you’ve still missed what I was saying. The “Christians” you claim to hate are the very people I specifically said to remove yourself from. Churches who are only out for money and mass forced conversions are NOT acting through the teachings of Jesus. Yes, churches need funds, but my church doesn’t pass a collecting bin from person to person. They invite you to dinner and if you’d like to leave three dollars, you may, but it is not required. There are fundraisers for their funds. So your claim that all churches are in it for your money is entirely untrue, and if it is happening in SOME churches, then I will keep them in my prayers because it is wrong!

Next I would like to address the homosexual topic. For the world to see, I will you tell you, Sir, that my very best friends are a lesbian couple and that I support them one hundred percent. I’ve long since been active in Gay-Straight movements in every school I’ve attended, and everyone in my church backs me completely. I will not deny that the Lord is not in favour of homosexuals. It IS a sin, but that does NOT mean that God wants you dead or doesn’t love you. Everyone sins, it’s human nature. But all sins are equal in the eyes of God, and so lying and being gay are no different. If someone who lies can get into Heaven, so can a homosexual. As long as you accept Jesus’ free gift of salvation and try you hardest to love and praise God and do good in your life, I believe that you will go to Heaven, be you straight, gay, transvestual, or anything else you can muster. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that you will DIE or be forever DAMNED if you make a mistake, or if you sin. God wants you to ask for forgiveness because He wants to love you with all that He is! The stories told in the Bible are to show you where a LIFE of sin will lead you. It’s okay to make mistakes, they help you learn, and the Lord is eager to help you.

So once again, please do not spout off with your “kill, kill, kill… hate, hate, hate” statements. Because if a Christian is hating, they are not walking with the Lord.

We dislike the SIN, not the SINNER.

Your “facts” are opinions. You have taken scientific truth and twisted it to meet your ends. Try looking at it in a way favourable to God and maybe you will see how flimsy it can be.

And a side note: yes, yoga and meditation is Eastern religious tradition. All religions are trying for one thing, and that is to connect to God and glorify Him. By meditating, I am recognizing the Divine within me and opening channels to God. The yoga is to help me relax and stretch out in preparation for my meditations, because sometimes they can last for up to a couple hours. The Lord welcomes all types of worship, as long as it glorifies His name… and what better way that communicating with Him directly? And this is how I know my relationship with God is so very real.

My mind is riddled with horrible memories and the constant chatter of doubt and indecision. When I pray to the Lord, He is the only thing that can help me. I fought Him for most of my life, and when I finally opened my Heart and asked Him to heal me, He did, and I love myself and everyone around me now for it. I did not do that by myself. I may be strong, but I am not arrogant and I know that He guided me and that I owe Him for my LIFE.

And this is how I know that He is very, very real.

And all man made religions aside: Anyone without His love will always have that anger, that confusion, and that gap inside of them that needs to be filled. And no one on this earth, not yourself, your lover, or a friend can fill it."

My response:

Molly,

Religion is Big Business and its very lucrative, so yes, all churches are in it for the money. Maybe not all of them are to the same degree, but all of them are.

What sect are you associated with? You don’t sound like an average fundamentalist Christian to me at all in some respects.

On the homosexual issue, see Lev. 20:13. It says that homosexuals shall be put to death, so yes, your god does kill folks for lying and for being homosexual. But then, those “sins” are somehow magically the same in god’s eyes, right? According to the bible, homosexuals cannot get into heaven. See Galatians 5:19.

My facts are not opinions. They are actual, verifiable facts. I have twisted nothing. Try looking at things from my point of view, and you’ll see how flimsy god and religious beliefs are.

As I said before, your “relationship” with god is in your mind, and there only.

God isn’t real, Molly. God is a myth that happens to work well for you at the moment. A friend of mine and I were talking just last night about how much religion is like a drug, and right now you sound very high on god - on the drug of religious belief.

I do not have a “god-shaped” gap inside of me, and neither does anyone else.

I think you have missed the major point of this site - the fact that Christianity is not true. That isn’t just my opinion. It is an actual, verifiable fact.

I was working on my own reply as I was reading her letter, then I read your response and realized you said exactly what I would have, except infinitely more eloquently. Good job, Jeff.

Jeff is the master. I was quite impressed when I first came across him when he owned the Religion is Bullshit site.

Thanks, everybody, and thanks Sister M! Glory!

The fact this one answered gives me the feeling you've made a palapable hit there me old Klondike duck!

Molly:
I fought Him for most of my life, and when I finally opened my Heart and asked Him to heal me, He did, and I love myself and everyone around me now for it

jesuslover.GIF

I'm sorry to tell you this Jeff, but you have just been talking to a fundified fantasy tract girl.

LOL!! I sure have been! I've been talking to the Fundified Chick! Glory!

What is the equivalent of giving $5 blowjobs behind a dumpster at 3AM?

From: http://christianityisbullshit.com/2008/02/...s-brother-jeff/

“I am an open minded individual and when I saw this site I had to check it out. Unfortunately a lot of the points you decided to put in bold red font are just not true. The church doesn’t use fear as a brainwashing tool, but more as a way to keep you on a righteous path. By reminding you that God is an all powerful and omnipotent being, you will be more likely to turn away from sin and make wiser decisions. By reminding you that God sees all and has the ability to humble you with His mighty power, the church is making sure that you follow His word. If all they do is focus on His innate and abundant love, those who are weak or in a faltering place with their faith may move away from their Heavenly Father. God wants to love you, not punish you, but He won’t hesitate if you’re openly acting against Him.

Or as God likes to say, "Defy me and I'll crush you like a bug!"

Glorious job, Brother Jeff!

All I can say about "Sister Molly" is: "OH, SHIT'.

What a froot-loop. I encountered one of those on another Group - a group supposed to be for both Christians and Atheists except Atheists were hounded off. This one went under the nic "DidYouTalkWithJesusToday". She was a whacko as her nic. She claimed to be maried to Jesus. She also worshipped Benny Hinn. She tried hard to convert us all, especially with all her buybullshit quotes. I think she had swallowed a bible. When she got some criticism she quit the group in a huff. I left soon after.I realised talking to Christians is a waste of time. Their minds (if any) have been POISONED!