Goodbye Jesus

How Dare They?

R. S. Martin

Hotmail didn't catch this one. The name on the outside looked like something I was waiting for. When I saw the address I got suspicious: service@irs.ip.gov. Some time ago I read tips on how spammers/swindlers immitate legitimate institutions such as banks, but that banks would never send emails with important messages. So with all the warnings top, front, and centre in my brain I opened it out of curiosity.

Here's the message:

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

United States Department of the Treasury

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal

activity we have determined that you are eligible

to receive a tax refund of $184.80.

Please submit the tax refund request and allow us

6-9 days in order to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.

For example submitting invalid records or applying

after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, use the following personalized link:

http://0xCA.0x80.0x1D.0x2/www.irs.gov/

Regards,

Internal Revenue Service

Document Reference: (0xCA.0x80.0x1D.0x2).

Apparently these crazies forgot to check where I live. The IRS of the United States does not do "annual calculations" of my "fiscal activities." Thus it is not possible that they could have determined that I am eligible for a refund.

A warning to the wise: If you do live in the United States, and if the IRS does do "annual calculations" of your "fiscal activities," and if you get this email, DON'T RESPOND! IT'S SPAM!

Thanks for the heads up, good thing these con-men were lazy.

Just to add to your point, Ruby:

The IRS never, NEVER sends unsolicited emails. Period. If you ever get an email from the "IRS" it is a scam and you should delete it. You can also report such scams on the IRS webpage.

I get that all the time. It's a phishing mail. Don't ever click on any links or files in these mails and just delete them. They don't know you are Canadian because they send them out randomly to email addresses that they have combed using harvesting programs. I wouldn't worry about it, everyone gets them.

I tend to forward my bank scams to the online fraud dept of the bank in question... they're like pitbulls on a dead baby when it comes to that stuff...