Goodbye Jesus

Us Citizens Leaving Childhood Religion

hereticzero

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/25/...in3873100.shtml

'The U.S. Religious Landscape Survey estimates the United States is 78 percent Christian and about to lose its status as a majority Protestant nation, at 51 percent and slipping.

More than one-quarter of American adults have left the faith of their childhood for another religion or no religion at all, the survey found. Factoring in moves from one stream or denomination of Protestantism to another, the number rises to 44 percent.

One in four adults ages 18 to 29 claim no affiliation with a religious institution.

The religious demographic benefiting the most from this religious churn is those who claim no religious affiliation. People moving into that category outnumber those moving out of it by a three-to-one margin. '

Christianity may have seen its better days. We have to protect ourselves from some other religion such as Islam from replacing Christianity and making our lives even worse.

I think most people are sheep when it comes to their faith. When we hit critical mass in the number of unbelievers there will be big downturn in the number of people who claim any religious convictions. Perhaps it will be like Europe where people give lip service to Christianity and see it as something traditional whenever there is a wedding or funeral, but in general it is not important to them. Even the fear of hell is lessened for most people when no one around you believes in it.

I wonder how many "wandered" for a few years and came back. I have a feeling that that would punch the number up significantly higher