Goodbye Jesus

How Did God Create The World?

GraphicsGuy

Due to Marty's latest thread and his dealings with the fundy on MySpace I've had some thoughts.

Xians always complain about the Big Bang being impossible since explosions don't "create" things.

Well, we know that if the Big Bang was indeed a fact it wouldn't have been the end-all-be-all of creation, just the initial event that started it. Things didn't go *BOOM* and suddenly end up as we see them today.

However, this is what Xians expect us to believe regarding the Bable's version of the creation myth.

God "spoke" and *POOF* everything was there.

Since when does speaking create anything but hot air???

And is God just some lazy fat bastard who gets tired and needs to rest after talking for six days? Then again, there are execs that get tired after talking for four days...

Why can't we speak things into existence? Because we don't have the "power" of God? What is this "power" then?

Also, tied to this is the issue of original sin and death. Xians say that everything was perfect before man sinned.

So, nothing died before man ate the fruit? This entire universe centers around the cycle of life and death! Taking a shit involves life and death! Adam and Eve didn't produce bodily waste before they ate the fruit?

They ate the fruit and God "spoke" a curse at the universe and changed everything he had just created?

Can somebody please give me a baseball bat to fucking beat myself with if I ever believe this shit again???????!!!!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Antlerman

• GraphicsGuy

• The-Captain

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does kinda make you feel stupid that we actually believed that crap. :banghead:

And that part of the Bible show clearly that the story is not to be taken literally, since no being of any form can "speak" in a nothingness. If the universe didn't exist, no air, and not even vacuum, but basically not existing at all... how do you speak in it? It's like asking where the hole goes when you eat the donut? There is nothing there to speak in. So it's very obvious that the God of genesis "speaks" in a figuratively way, not a physical human way or in a bubble of air.

The second thing is. Where did it come from? The matter? From words? So science is wrong when it say matter came from energy, that came from the hot super-state singularity, i.e. it came from something, but Christians are "right" when matter came from words spoken in an extra-dimensions universe, i.e. Ex Nihilo (from nothing)? It's Christians that believe in Matter-from-Nothing, not scientists. What they can't see is that the Bible story could be interpreted as the Big Bang if one wants to, and the Genesis story as Evolution.

The Bible says that God told the oceans to "bring forth" life, not that he created it directly, but he commanded the oceans to "create" it. So where does life comes from according to some ideas in Evolution? Oh, the oceans. Genesis supports a Theistic evolutions story, which starts with Big Bang. And only hardcore, dogmatic people who doesn't want the Bible to match science, re-interpret things intentionally a different way, not because it is different, but only because they want it to be different.

Furthermore, the Bible claims that God created the human from dirt. Well, Kent Hovinds favorite attack on Evolution was "but you believe we came from rocks!"... so? If evolution did say that, what's the big difference between dirt and a rock? Not much. both are matter, and if you compress dirt, you get rock, and if you smash a rock, you get dirt. So what's the diff?

Creationists are intentionally dishonest about their faith, because they want to be antagonists.

Creationists are intentionally dishonest about their faith, because they want to be antagonists.

Or is it because "original sin" has absolutely no basis at all once evolution becomes fact? At least, I can't see where it would have one.

Very informative response, BTW...

I hear ya talkin', GG. I remember a trip to Colorado several years ago when, at the top of a huge mountain pass, we'd stopped to admire the beauty of the Rocky Mountains. My buddy took in a deep breath and said, "Just think, brother... our God spoke this!" I remember looking out over the sprawling valleys and the majestic peaks and thinking, "Ummm... actually it's all due to the movement of lithospheric plates." I was a believer when I thought that! I guess it sounded great to say that as he looked out over the obvious beauty of Colorado, but that's about it.

I remember asking another buddy, a pastor, if he really thought the Earth was only 6,000 or so years old. He told me he did, in fact, believe that. I asked him how he could believe that when we have PROOF that the Earth is millions if not billions of years old. His reply - and I quote - "God made the rocks old."

There was a time I switched oars and believed in Genesis, but it wasn't for very long at all. Even at my most devout, I never believed in the story of creation or the Garden of Eden or the flood or any of that crap. I did buy off on the whole God/Jesus/Holy Spirit/Holy Bible thing, though, so I'm not such a smarty pants after all, am I?

"God made the rocks old."

Yeah, I got to this point in my fundy days. I couldn't explain all the evidence so I believed that God had intentionally made the universe old in order to encourage faith.

It's not a new idea, unfortunately. I eventually discovered that a lot of Xians say this.

The problems that arise from it is:

1. God is not the author of confusion...would not all this "false evidence" be considered as confusion then?

2. A good argument to the "created everything old" belief is one I heard while going through my deconversion. If God could make the universe "appear" to be billions of years old when it actually isn't then how do we know he didn't create it 5 minutes or 5 seconds ago? The "created everything old" argument really makes nothing that exists around us absolute, fact, or even real for that matter...it would all be illusion...

Or is it because "original sin" has absolutely no basis at all once evolution becomes fact? At least, I can't see where it would have one.

Very true. But the "sin" concept can be extracted from the story even if it's a myth. It only takes a very small effort to see that the story can be "true" for the Christian, even if it's not historically true. It can be claimed to show that since we evolved from the apes, we're carrying the "sinful" nature from Nature itself, and only with "God" or "Jesus" would there be a "salvation" from such nature. But of course that doesn't enter most Christians' mind since they are steadfast on pseudo-literalism.

Very informative response, BTW...

I got some of it from a Jewish theistic evolutionist. I have more respect for someone that is consistent and honest about their faith, than the dishonest, self-induced imagination most Creationists play with.

2. A good argument to the "created everything old" belief is one I heard while going through my deconversion. If God could make the universe "appear" to be billions of years old when it actually isn't then how do we know he didn't create it 5 minutes or 5 seconds ago? The "created everything old" argument really makes nothing that exists around us absolute, fact, or even real for that matter...it would all be illusion...

And a deceitful God. There goes the "benevolent" and "truthful" God out the window.

Yeah, I got to this point in my fundy days. I couldn't explain all the evidence so I believed that God had intentionally made the universe old in order to encourage faith.

No no of course not! That was the FSM!

The creationist counter to this is that carbon dating isn't 100% accurate and can have errors. They taught me that in school, while highlighting a few of the more egregious slip ups. Pretty weak huh?

Remember this was in SCHOOL, I guess they didn't read much outside of young earth apologetics.

Radiometric dating continues to be the predominant way scientists date geologic timescales. Techniques for radioactive dating have been tested and fine tuned for the past 50+ years. Forty or so different dating techniques are utilized to date a wide variety of materials, and dates for the same sample using these techniques are in very close agreement on the age of the material.

Possible contamination problems do exist, but they have been studied and dealt with by careful investigation; leading to sample preparation procedures being minimized to limit the chance of contamination. Hundreds to thousands of measurements are done daily with excellent precision and accurate results. Even so, research continues to refine and improve radiometric dating to this day.

I would have to say that any literalist living in something other than a 3rd world country, and benefiting from the scientific method and technology is just trying to have his cake and eat it too.

It can be claimed to show that since we evolved from the apes, we're carrying the "sinful" nature from Nature itself

But one has to first assume that nature is sinful to begin with, seeming to imply that our very existence is an abomination to God...

Aaagh! Do you realize the explosion of questions an argument like this would raise/has raised in my mind? :P

So everything was spoken into existence over a course of days (although I think the bible says stuff already existed and was simply formed but never mind that since chapter two deals kind of anyhow). But after that it seems that speaking wasn't quite good enough and some actual hands-on work was needed to mold mud into recognizable forms and then a little mouth-to-mouth to animate them. So the whole speaking thing can apparently only get you so far it seems. Old "god" isn't very precise using that interface.

mwc

The creationist counter to this is that carbon dating isn't 100% accurate and can have errors. They taught me that in school, while highlighting a few of the more egregious slip ups. Pretty weak huh?

Just say we take carbon-dating completely out of the picture...even I eventually accepted it as true. The question that plagued me involved planetary bodies.

How could light from other galaxies millions of light-years away ever possibly reach the earth in 6,000 years? As a fundy I had zero explanation for that one so I comforted myself with the "God created the universe old" idea.

Just say we take carbon-dating completely out of the picture...even I eventually accepted it as true. The question that plagued me involved planetary bodies.

How could light from other galaxies millions of light-years away ever possibly reach the earth in 6,000 years? As a fundy I had zero explanation for that one so I comforted myself with the "God created the universe old" idea.

That I think is the point when the half our brain the fundie part hadn't killed yet poked us. That part where you start to notice that you spend a lot of time lying to yourself.

Due to Marty's latest thread and his dealings with the fundy on MySpace I've had some thoughts.

Xians always complain about the Big Bang being impossible since explosions don't "create" things.

Well, we know that if the Big Bang was indeed a fact it wouldn't have been the end-all-be-all of creation, just the initial event that started it. Things didn't go *BOOM* and suddenly end up as we see them today.

However, this is what Xians expect us to believe regarding the Bable's version of the creation myth.

God "spoke" and *POOF* everything was there.

Since when does speaking create anything but hot air???

And is God just some lazy fat bastard who gets tired and needs to rest after talking for six days? Then again, there are execs that get tired after talking for four days...

Why can't we speak things into existence? Because we don't have the "power" of God? What is this "power" then?

Also, tied to this is the issue of original sin and death. Xians say that everything was perfect before man sinned.

So, nothing died before man ate the fruit? This entire universe centers around the cycle of life and death! Taking a shit involves life and death! Adam and Eve didn't produce bodily waste before they ate the fruit?

They ate the fruit and God "spoke" a curse at the universe and changed everything he had just created?

Can somebody please give me a baseball bat to fucking beat myself with if I ever believe this shit again???????!!!!!!

:lmao:

Woah oh... oh... it's Magic... you know.... Never believe it's not so...

It can be claimed to show that since we evolved from the apes, we're carrying the "sinful" nature from Nature itself

But one has to first assume that nature is sinful to begin with, seeming to imply that our very existence is an abomination to God...

It could be compared to the Hobbean "State of Nature". Chaos, disorder and no rules to guide our safety, and that animals aren't saved or going to heaven because of their Natural nature, but with a "new-born spirit" a person becomes more than just an animal... blah blah... well, my point is that it can be reworked, and reinterpreted to work within the context of science. Considering how inventive people can be to explain other contradictions, I'm certain with the right mindset it all could be made to fit in with science. But they don't want to, not that it can't be done. It's a matter of will, not of effort.

Aaagh! Do you realize the explosion of questions an argument like this would raise/has raised in my mind? :P

There will always be questions. Even in science or in the material world view. We don't have all answers, and the honest person - even in this "neo-Christian" theology - would know that, admit that, and just keep on retrofitting the material with discovered truth about the world. (Maybe I should start the Atheistic Neo-Christian Church! :HaHa:)

Before the Beginning, an All-Powerful Magical Being was sitting on his ass in a Land called Nowhere for a very, very long time, although there was no time yet, and time cannot exist in Nowhere. This Magical Being, being magical in nature and bored stiff from doing nothing in Nowhere for a hell of a long time although there was no time to enable him to do anything or to even notice that he was bored doing nothing in Nowhere, decided to be true to his magical nature, and work some magic. As the Magical Being opened his mouth to talk to himself and think out loud while wondering what he should do, the beans that he ate for dinner worked their own special magic, and he spontaneously and unexpectedly emitted a Great Juicy Magic Fart. This Great Juicy Magic Fart, the explosion that we euphemistically call the Big Bang, expanded into the Universe that we live in. This Great Juicy Magic Fart, totally unplanned as it was, caught the Magical Being quite by surprise. He looked at the expanding emission from his ass and said, "Holy Shit! I created the Universe! Glory!"

As the Great Juicy Magic Fart Universe expanded, some of the shit solidified and became galaxies. Some of the smaller shit solidified and became suns and some of the even smaller shit became planets. The shit that was even smaller than the other previously mentioned shit became asteroids, comets, and other assorted space shit. Of course, other shit happened too, but that covers the most important shit in this simplistic shitty creation myth that perhaps someday some Shit-filled Fundies will ludicrously take very seriously as Divine Truth. There was enough shit in the Great Juicy Magical Fart to form an enormous universe composed of approximately 125 billion galaxies. Our galaxy is the only one of any importance to the Magical Being, and then only one planet in one solar system in that one galaxy euphemistically called the "Milky Way" after the Magical Being had a bout of diarrhea while in the vicinity is actually of any great importance. Those other 124,999,999,999 galaxies are simply a bunch of basically useless space shit that is good for glorious window dressing to be observed from our vantage point on this one relatively very small piece of solidified magical shit called Earth, but not much else. Anyway, as the Earth cooled from the heat generated by the Great Juicy Magical Fart, it just happened to be at the right distance from the larger and hotter piece of shit called the Sun for something truly magical to happen upon its cooling surface. The Magical Being, being quite pleased with the outcome of his accidental but truly Magical Fart, reached down into a pool of shit and caused some molecules of shit to come together to form this totally new shit called LIFE. This new shit called life turned out to be Magically Tenacious. Against all odds, it survived the hostile environment that the Magical Being had created it in, and it got better and better over time. Before too long, at least on the Magical Being's time scale, single-celled life forms emerged that were able to swim and survive in this shit called water. Another form of life called plants also formed and survived by soaking up invisible shit from the really hot piece of shit called the Sun with shit projections called leaves. This Magically Tenacious LIFE progressed into better and better forms of shit. Some really enormous pieces of shit called dinosaurs ruled the planet for millions of years until the Magical Being said, "Fuck this shit! It's no good!" The Magical Being lassoed one of those pieces of shit that we call asteroids and hurled it at the piece of shit called Earth. The smaller piece of shit struck the much larger piece of shit called Earth with tremendous force, and spewed all kinds of shit into the Earth's atmosphere. The dinosaurs looked up as the smaller shit streaked through the sky headed for impact in the Yucatan Peninsula. They collectively sighed with resignation at their unavoidable fate but cried out to the Magical Being in terror and anger saying, "FUCK YOU, MAGICAL BEING!!" The Magical Being, being heinously evil, didn't really give a shit and shouted back down and sayeth unto them, "EAT SHIT AND DIE, DINOSAURS!!"

After this shit happened, the Earth gradually recovered and shit. Now that the enormous pieces of shit called dinosaurs were no more, there was room and opportunity for smaller pieces of shit called mammals to form and eventually rule the planet and shit. Most of these life forms were just dumb shit. But, several million years ago, some of this dumb shit started getting smarter and shit and became primates. These primate shit things got bigger and smarter and the Magical Being just sat back and really didn't do much until 6000 years ago. It was at that time that He said, "Shit! I had better interject myself and do something with this shit and give it some Magically Divine direction and shit." The Magical Being looked at the primate shit things and decided arbitrarily to use them for a model for this new idea that he had dreamed up recently while taking a shit. He reached down into the Earth and scooped up some shit. The Magical Being formed something that looked very much like the other primate shit things, but this shit was the best yet! The Magical Being endowed this superior primate shit life with an intelligence sort of like his own in a distant and mystical sort of way, but with no magical powers. But, he made sure that this better primate shit life would survive by giving it compatible tools that made them feel REALLY GOOD when they came together periodically to make some more superior primate shit things just like themselves. The Magical Being was thrilled! He looked around at the shit that he had created and said, "This shit is fucking awesome!"

The Magical Being and the shit that he had created on the Earth lived together for a while in perfect harmony, but as it always does, shit happened! The Talking Snake, a previously unknown piece of shit, meandered into the Realm of the Magical Being on Earth and spoke with the shit things called Adam and Eve. Now Eve was a particularly dumb blond piece of shit who didn't know better than to listen to the Talking Snake, who always lies. The Talking Snake informed Eve that the Magical Being was holding out on her and Adam and that they should eat of the shit from the tree that the Magical Being had forbidden them to fuck with. Eve replied and said, "The Magical Being said not to fuck with that shit or we would surely die!" The Talking Snake informed Eve that the Magical Being did not have their best interests in mind, and that he wanted to keep them from experiencing their full potential and shit. Eve decided, "What the fuck? It looks good and shit." So, Eve ate some of the shit from the tree that she had been warned not to fuck with. Adam came back from doing some other shit somewhere else and found Eve eating the shit from the tree that she wasn't supposed to fuck with. Adam was like, "What the fuck is this shit?" Eve explained the situation to Adam, and since Adam could readily observe that Eve had not died and shit, he was like, "Shit! Let me have some of that forbidden shit from the tree that we are not supposed to fuck with!" Adam chomped down on the forbidden shit, and about this time the all-knowing Magical Being boomed out, "Adam, where the fuck are you?" Adam was mometarily taken aback at seeing the all-knowing Magical Being mystified and shit, but he collected himself and said, "Here I am over here, Magical Being, with Eve and this Talking Snake!" Well, the Magical Being was FUCKING PISSED OFF. The Magical Being turned to the Talking Snake and said, "Cursed art thou for doing this evil shit! You shall crawl on your belly and eat pulverized dried shit for all of your days and shit!" The Magical Being turned to Adam and roared, "Why did you eat the shit from the tree that I told you not to fuck with?" Adam thought to himself, "I'm not taking the rap for this shit alone". He turned to the Magical Being and said, "Eve made me do this shit! The Talking Snake lied to her and she, being the dumber than shit blond that she is, lied to me and I believed her and shit since she has never lied to me before."

The Magical Being, being totally unreasonable and shit, turned to Eve and said, "Because you have done this shit, you shall experience tremendous pain while giving birth to little shit beings like yourselves." But, even though I am inflicting this horrendous punishment upon you, please never doubt that I love you!" The Magical Being turned to Adam and said, "Because you have also done this shit and ate the shit from the tree that I told you not to fuck with, I am banishing you from my Magical Realm on Earth. You will sweat and work torturously hard and shit to scrape out an existence and survive. But, please believe that I love you!" The Magical Being also informed them that they had lost eternal life and shit and that they were fucked for about 4000 years until he could fuck Mary with His Holy Spook and produce a primate shit thing who is also the Magical Being embodied. But, right there the Magical Being prophesied about the embodied Magical Being baby primate shit thing that was to come in about 4000 years, or in about four days as the Magical Being interprets the time, and what the Magical Being baby shit thing was going to do to the Talking Snake and for the disgraced primate shit life things. The Magical Being clothed Adam and Eve since they were naked and shit. The Magical Being said, "Holy Shit! They have become like one of us, even though there is only one of Me." Because they can think for themselves now, I must banish them forever from my Magical Realm on Earth. If only they hadn't eaten the shit from the tree that I told them not to fuck with! DAMN that Talking Snake!" So, the Magical Being banished Adam and Eve from his Magical Realm on Earth and placed a really special Magical Talking, Flying, and Flaming Sword in front of the entrance to the Magical Realm to keep them out and shit.

This concludes the first installment of the shit that happened after the Magical Being accidentally farted and created the universe. Suffice it to say that a bunch of shit has happened since the shit that has been portrayed in this story took place, which I will relate as time permits and shit.

Bwahahahahaha! Glory, Brother Jeff! That was actually a good read!

Before the Beginning, an All-Powerful Magical Being was sitting on his ass in a Land called Nowhere for a very, very long time, although there was no time yet, and time cannot exist in Nowhere.

Ow, ow, ow ,OW, OW! My brain hurts!

Thanks for that! That's good stuff!

It could be compared to the Hobbean "State of Nature". Chaos, disorder and no rules to guide our safety, and that animals aren't saved or going to heaven because of their Natural nature, but with a "new-born spirit" a person becomes more than just an animal... blah blah... well, my point is that it can be reworked, and reinterpreted to work within the context of science. Considering how inventive people can be to explain other contradictions, I'm certain with the right mindset it all could be made to fit in with science. But they don't want to, not that it can't be done. It's a matter of will, not of effort.

Well here's where I want to add something. What you described is what in fact mythology is all about. It's a way to talk about the consideration of ourselves and what it all means, set against the stage of our understanding of the natural world we're in. In ancient times without the benefit of modern knowledge, they filled the blanks in on the scientific bits, then created the myths to explain the angst of awareness of our own beings.

Now we have science to fill in the blanks of the natural bits, the stage on which the story’s set, we all try to reshape old myths about the angst bits into the natural world contexts, whether it's new myths or reworked old ones. The fundi is one who, for lack of a better would is "challenged" with this. He's not flexible in his emotions, and therefore rather than taking a new look at the same story overlaid on a new stage, he denies the stage altogether and acts like a complete idiot in so doing. He becomes an embarrassment to himself, his society, and his very "faith" he tries to hold on to. Low EQ, that's what it is (emotional quotient). Pity the fool who jumps off the stage during the middle of the play.

Graphicsguy, do you really believe that the Big Bang was the beginning? Where did the matter that exploded come from? Or was it just sitting there for eternity, and then suddenly decided to explode even though it had all the time in the universe to do that before? Or perhaps it created itself, even though it didn't exist while it did the creating?

Come on dude. The Big Bang is a nice explanation of a lot of stuff but it has nothing to do with how things began.

Graphicsguy, do you really believe that the Big Bang was the beginning? Where did the matter that exploded come from? Or was it just sitting there for eternity, and then suddenly decided to explode even though it had all the time in the universe to do that before? Or perhaps it created itself, even though it didn't exist while it did the creating?

Come on dude. The Big Bang is a nice explanation of a lot of stuff but it has nothing to do with how things began.

Gaunilon welcome back. There's a few problems inherent in your criticism of respected science, and in your leap to insert a far less supportable hypothesis of god entities into an explanation of the natural world.

First the Big Bang is not really an explosion of matter. It's best described as an expansion or inflation. Secondly, are you assuming that "matter", as in rocks and whatnot, were all smashed into a single point and the exploded out, sending them all hurtling into space? This is also incorrect. None of the elements that comprise matter in our universe existed in that form, but rather in the form of pure energy. All of the atoms that came into being occurred as a result of this expansion of energy and subsequent natural causes, but in the strictest sense it can be said matter existed in the form of energy, unformed if you will.

Now as far as the question do we believe that the Big Bang was the beginning? The beginning of what? Is the question do we believe the Big Bang was the beginning of this natural universe? The answer is that that's what the best supportable science is indicating at this point. As such, I accept it as the best researched and most viable explanation we have with our current available knowledge. But in your question, it's clear that you are trying to understand the universe in terms beyond space and time, a universe outside this universe which in a sense is the *real* universe. You place "the beginning" before this universe and are left without any data, let alone tools of investigation with which to consider the data which doesn't exist. In other words, your question is totally irrelevant to a question of scientific inquiry. It's a question of pure speculation, of metaphysical ponderings of philosophers, theologians, and science fiction writers. You get rid of all the data then challenge everyone, "Explain that!"

So your statement that, "The Big Bang is a nice explanation of a lot of stuff but it has nothing to do with how things began," is dead wrong. It has everything to do with how things began in this universe. That's all there is to observe. The beginning of this universe is the beginning of this universe. Period. What was "before" if even that term has any meaning outside this reality, has nothing to do with the Big Bang theory. But if you wish to use logic argument as a tool of inquiry, I'd probably follow backwards from our observable experiences that everything has a natural cause, and specualate that too was by "natural" occurance. (Intellegent Beings, logically follow backwards from intellegent beings projecting their sense of self onto nature - which is an observable fact in our history without argument, and is referred to as anthropmorphizing).

So does pure speculation about some purely imaged realities that have no measurable data whatsover to consider, suggest that the Hebrew's god Jehovah and subsequent human child Jesus of Nazareth born during the Roman occupation of Israel, are responsible for this universe? Using your words to Graphics Guy, "Come on dude."

Reading some fundy posts... It's like Carl Sagan never existed and PBS closed down in 1956... <_<

Hey there Gaunilon. Greetings from North Carolina.

I’ve heard some scientists suggest that the Big Bang is a modern myth. I don’t know enough physics to decide for myself if I believe it. But they could be right or wrong and I wouldn’t much care. I’m not interested in how the universe came into being. It’s enough for me to know that it’s here.

But I also believe that saying, “God did it†would be less than satisfactory. For the sake of argument let me accept the idea that God did it. God spoke the universe into being. Now in what way has my understanding been increased? If I hold that the universe is the dream of Vishnu, then in what way can it be said that I understand?

Graphicsguy, do you really believe that the Big Bang was the beginning?

*sigh* Did this line in the OP not give you a clue? Well, we know that if the Big Bang was indeed a fact it wouldn't have been the end-all-be-all of creation, just the initial event that started it.

What I do believe is that the Big Bang is more likely to be true than some invisible being magically making everything appear.

Creation is proof that something happened to bring it all together. What that something actually is has yet to be proven as fact.

EDIT: Also, I'm not one to make blanket assertions when I know nothing of something. I was a Xian for my whole life so I really know jackshit about science. Most people know more than I do so I'll take their word for it with caution until I have the time and desire to really look hard for those answers.

I, for one, find it very strange that Big Bang is such an issue for so many Christians.

If Genesis was true, then the sudden "world pop into existence" would most likely have been an event very similar to Big Bang. I still don't get it, why do Christians want to disprove Big Bang? It's their best shot at making the Bible fit into science!

Besides, the whole "Ex Nihilo" was invented by Christians, not scientists.