Goodbye Jesus

Old Habits Die Hard

Guest coppertop

Guest coppertop

I was raised to be mindful of my language. I recall one brother getting his mouth washed out with soap for uttering "shit!". The absolute taboo was, "Do not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain!". I remember being nervous enough when someone nearby would sound off with a "Fuck!" or "What the hell?" but I turned downright skittish if I heard "goddammit!". Alas, when you are growing up, you inevitably come across situations or experience events in which the word that pops out at that instant seems so appropriate and so satisfying... I was careful, and saved them for those special occasions, because overuse robbed them of their power.

I became accustomed to casual swearing, cussing, bad language, or whatever you like to call it, as a young adult. I drifted away from the church over a period of several years. Not attending any services, but not seriously questioning what I had been taught. Over time, the more I read, the more unbelieveable the christian god became. Eventually, Iafter some protracted "spiritual exporation" decided that I was, indeed, an athiest.

As I came to that realization, I was a bit pissed off about being lied to... but got over it. I had a harder time as a new athiest with the things that would have me saying "God DAMN it!" Fuck! I can't say that any more! There isn't some big sky daddy up there to do the damning! Shit! I used to love pulling the trigger on that one! I saved it for the things that made me the maddest, and now it's empty! Useless!

I've come to terms with the true emptiness of the term. Now, to me, it is just a phrase. A funny little phrase that can still be useful, because even though I do not believe, others do. And to those that believe, it still has the power to shock, alarm, or disgust.

"Enjoy every sandwich..."

Welcome coppertop! Thanks for sharing your testimonial! I too used to wince at the swearing, even though I did it at times.

Swearing bothered me in grade school. I got over it in the Air Force and improved on my fucking language while working in the oil fields in Wyoming. I really got advanced training in four-letter riddles while I was a cook. So, I feel good about myself.

Swearing bothered me in grade school. I got over it in the Air Force and improved on my fucking language while working in the oil fields in Wyoming. I really got advanced training in four-letter riddles while I was a cook. So, I feel good about myself.

From the stories I've heard from my friends who have gone through boot camp, I would think boot camp instructors alone would cure you of any aversion to swearing, or at least desensitize you. blink.png

From the stories I've heard from my friends who have gone through boot camp, I would think boot camp instructors alone would cure you of any aversion to swearing, or at least desensitize you. blink.png

That is funny!! My husband was a drill sgt. and let me tell you something~~~ the man still has swearing down to an art!!

When we first started seeing each other, I would cringe thinking god was gonna strike him dead!! I didn't want the lightning bolts to get me!!

But now, I just look at him and think thank goodness for freedom of speech!