Goodbye Jesus

Apostate

zefferus

I was at the mall yesterday, shopping for a birthday gift, when a clean cut looking young guy approached me from a kiosk. He wanted permission to ask me three questions. I hesitated for a second, then said "sure". His first question was, "do you believe in a heaven, or a hell"? I replied "no". He responded by saying that my answer took care of the other two questions as well. Then he asked if he could give me his card. For the sake of politeness, I said "okay". He started to reach for a stack of paperbacks as he inquired if I had a bible. I told him "yes, several, and I read them". He got a puzzled look on his face and asked, "if you have a bible, and you read it, why don't you believe in heaven or hell"? I told him they were for research mostly and added that I was one of those heathens. He said, "oh no, I didn't mean that". I said "that's okay, 'hello', apostate here".

He didn't appear to have a comeback for that, so I wished him a good day, and continued shopping. I guess my point is, I get very few opportunities to 'come out' with people of faith other than friends or family, and it felt good. Kind of like striking a blow for sanity and reason. I just wanted to share that with some people who're able to understand.

Thanks

gd :grin:

I was at the mall yesterday, shopping for a birthday gift, when a clean cut looking young guy approached me from a kiosk. He wanted permission to ask me three questions. I hesitated for a second, then said "sure". His first question was, "do you believe in a heaven, or a hell"? I replied "no".

would have been fun to find out what the other two questions were! LOL

Probably something like: "Are you sure you're going to heaven when you die?" and "Would you like to ask Jesus into your heart so you can be sure?"

I was at the mall yesterday, shopping for a birthday gift, when a clean cut looking young guy approached me from a kiosk. He wanted permission to ask me three questions. I hesitated for a second, then said "sure". His first question was, "do you believe in a heaven, or a hell"? I replied "no".

Probably something like: "Are you sure you're going to heaven when you die?" and "Would you like to ask Jesus into your heart so you can be sure?"

No doubt!

I did get some perverse pleasure from seeing his expression when I told him I was a heathen/apostate. :grin:

No doubt!

I did get some perverse pleasure from seeing his expression when I told him I was a heathen/apostate. :grin:

Yeah, I did that with a fundy nutter here at the university I go to. His mouth dropped open in this "o" of surprise. (The word I used was "heathen", jokingly.)

He's a real nutter, though -- he was raised in a Christian private school and thinks that the American Revolution was founded on the values of the Great Awakening.

he inquired if I had a bible. I told him "yes, several, and I read them". He got a puzzled look on his face and asked, "if you have a bible, and you read it, why don't you believe in heaven or hell"? I told him they were for research mostly and added that I was one of those heathens. He said, "oh no, I didn't mean that". I said "that's okay, 'hello', apostate here".

Thanks for sharing that one. I guess that young man got a lesson straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. What use he makes of it remains to be seen. The fact that he had no comeback for your confession could indicate that he's either fairly honest or fairly naive. If he's honest, he may do some open-minded research into the faith and find out why there is such a thing as apostates. If he's just naive, hard telling which way the wind will blow. He might go talk with an older more experienced person in his church and be prepared next time he meets up with this kind of situation. If the older more experienced person also has no comeback, the Christian community may realize they're up against a phenomena of New Atheism that needs a reply.

The more arrogant among them will come up with some more twisted stupid crap about the evils and arrogance of atheism that reflects themselves more than Dawkins et al. The more prudent among them may actually do some real thinking. We already, at this point in time, have some Christians who acknowledge that there are moral atheists and that morals do not come from God. To be sure, these are not fundamentalist Christians by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a start. It proves to me that it is possible for a person to be Christian and to also believe at the same time that atheists are decent people.

No doubt!

Yeah, I did that with a fundy nutter here at the university I go to. His mouth dropped open in this "o" of surprise. (The word I used was "heathen", jokingly.)

He's a real nutter, though -- he was raised in a Christian private school and thinks that the American Revolution was founded on the values of the Great Awakening.

Thanks,

I did some research on the Great Awakening, since I was unfamiliar with the term. It turns out that it was coined by a minister and historian named Joseph Tracy and was the title of a book he published in 1842. In his book he credits the first great religious awakening in this country as being the precursor of the War of Independence, so it makes sense that christians would believe that.