Goodbye Jesus

Scientific Breakthroughs from the Bible (Part I)

webmdave

• Admin

ByTheBook39.PNGToday's comic was inspired by a recent comment (to my last comic) on Ex-Christian.net. A christian poster made the statement, "There is much science in the Bible". To which, several ex-christian posters responded with various examples of scientific errors in the bible. "... talking snakes and donkeys", "...riding chariots of fire into heaven", "...holding up a striped staff to copulating goats so they have striped kids", "... the classification of bats as birds", "Floating axe heads", "Walking on water", "Raising the dead", "Commanding the sun to stand still", "creation story", "firmament", etc.

The christian then posted links to websites that actually claim dinosaurs were mentioned in the book of Job and that they lived alongside humans! This is so preposterous that I can only laugh to keep from crying. I guess years of scientific discoveries and fossil evidence mean nothing!

Christians never cease to amaze me with their ability to live in a world so influenced (and enhanced) by science, and enjoy all of the modern conveniences of life that science has made possible, but at the same time reject science when it conflicts with what their ancient "holy book" says.

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2008/03...from-bible.html

I am currently taking a geology course at our local university. On the way home from it I pass by eight churches and it always pisses me off that they are sitting there at night, empty, and have practically every light in the place turned on, thumbing their collective noses at the pollution they are causing. There's also the thought about the lights are on and nobody's home...

Anyway, my rant is about how much scientific evidence xians ignore. To lift a list from Russell's Teapot web site, they ignore the evidence from anthropology, archaeology, astronomy, astrophysics, biology, botany, chemistry, cosmology, ecology, embryology, entomology, evolution, genetics, geology, herpetology, mathematics, paleontology, plate tectonics, radiometric dating, and zoology.

On the xian side the list consists of....a book, written by bronze age sun worshippers.

WTF?? Not for the first time it occured to me that all the measurable, tangible evidence in the world points away from god. If he did exist, and if he created everything, he made it in such a way that the measureable evidence would lead people away from him, not to him. How stupid is that?

Anyway, my rant is about how much scientific evidence xians ignore. To lift a list from Russell's Teapot web site, they ignore the evidence from anthropology, archaeology, astronomy, astrophysics, biology, botany, chemistry, cosmology, ecology, embryology, entomology, evolution, genetics, geology, herpetology, mathematics, paleontology, plate tectonics, radiometric dating, and zoology.

On the xian side the list consists of....a book, written by bronze age sun worshippers.

WTF?? Not for the first time it occured to me that all the measurable, tangible evidence in the world points away from god. If he did exist, and if he created everything, he made it in such a way that the measureable evidence would lead people away from him, not to him. How stupid is that?

Synchronicity in action! Not 15 minutes ago I was reading Dawkin's The God Delusion, and came across this statement: "...one of the truly bad effects of religion is that it teaches us that it is a virtue to be satisfied with not understanding." (paperback edition, p. 152)

Synchronicity in action! Not 15 minutes ago I was reading Dawkin's The God Delusion, and came across this statement: "...one of the truly bad effects of religion is that it teaches us that it is a virtue to be satisfied with not understanding." (paperback edition, p. 152)

Thank you for that quote. It reminded me of many moments in my Christian, brainwashing upbringing. One in particular was with my grandmother. A friend of mine had just been killed in a boating accident and I was ranting & raving at my grandmother about it. In the course of my rants, I asked her repeatedly 'WHY would God let this happen, especially to someone so young and with such a promising future ahead of them?!!' Her response was that it isn't for us to question the will of God & for that matter to try and understand at times like these. This was a response that was to be repeated to me throughout many years by many dyed-in-the-wool, kool-aid drinking Christians. This is a typical fall back, when Christians really don't have the answers and are unwilling to admit that they and there 'holy book' just might be wrong.

Here's to more questioning, using our brains, and NOT being satisfied with not understanding.

Elana

Yep, I remember that from the book. Good quote.

Synchronicity II - I was wanting to rant about this subject last night and, behold, Dave already had a lead-in for me!

My father is a die hard northeastern bible school fundamental baptist zealot [try saying that 10 times fast!] and on a regular basis I find myself in a defensive position when his brethren come to the door trying to "save me" from the burning depths of their bull shit...anyhow, I have become quite proficient at defending myself form these spiritually invading nutjobs and my favorite thing to throw back at them is a simple piece of logic that debunks their "triune god" theory...I say to them "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, therefore no part of the whole can be equal to the whole..." and time after time they say that human reasoning is not capable of understanding the mystery of the trinity...and then in the same damn breathe they say that if I accept the holy spirit that I will become illuminated and will understand the nature of the trinity...I have to remind them that if the holy spirit is capable of teaching me, then the god damn trinity is comprehendible...Idiots...and my favorite contradictions aren't ones that are found in the bible [although they are quite amusing], but are the ones that result from reading the bible and trying to apply it to real life...one passage that is particullarly funny to me is the "NO PRIVATE INTERPRETATION" bull shit which implies that you need to be clinically braindead in order to comply with this rule...aren't we all unique [private] individuals , and isn't reading itself a method of interpretting words to recall definition in order to communicate a point? That sounds an awful lot like private interpretation to me, so I guess the bible is saying that we shouldn't read it or anything else...or perhaps just to look at the words while trying to not understand them...

sometimes I like to play along with them, like a cat playing with a rat, they say that Y'shua is god, that he is the logos become flesh - and I say ok - he is the logos become flesh, then I point out to them that words [logos] CAN NOT WRITE THEMSELVES and that means that Y'shua must have been preceded by an author which implies that he was created, and thus NOT GOD...Idiots

Well I guess thats it for now...hope this post wasn't a waste of your time. Peace.

My father is a die hard northeastern bible school fundamental baptist zealot [try saying that 10 times fast!] and on a regular basis I find myself in a defensive position when his brethren come to the door trying to "save me" from the burning depths of their bull shit...anyhow, I have become quite proficient at defending myself form these spiritually invading nutjobs and my favorite thing to throw back at them is a simple piece of logic that debunks their "triune god" theory...I say to them "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, therefore no part of the whole can be equal to the whole..." and time after time they say that human reasoning is not capable of understanding the mystery of the trinity...and then in the same damn breathe they say that if I accept the holy spirit that I will become illuminated and will understand the nature of the trinity...I have to remind them that if the holy spirit is capable of teaching me, then the god damn trinity is comprehendible...Idiots...and my favorite contradictions aren't ones that are found in the bible [although they are quite amusing], but are the ones that result from reading the bible and trying to apply it to real life...one passage that is particullarly funny to me is the "NO PRIVATE INTERPRETATION" bull shit which implies that you need to be clinically braindead in order to comply with this rule...aren't we all unique [private] individuals , and isn't reading itself a method of interpretting words to recall definition in order to communicate a point? That sounds an awful lot like private interpretation to me, so I guess the bible is saying that we shouldn't read it or anything else...or perhaps just to look at the words while trying to not understand them...

sometimes I like to play along with them, like a cat playing with a rat, they say that Y'shua is god, that he is the logos become flesh - and I say ok - he is the logos become flesh, then I point out to them that words [logos] CAN NOT WRITE THEMSELVES and that means that Y'shua must have been preceded by an author which implies that he was created, and thus NOT GOD...Idiots

Well I guess thats it for now...hope this post wasn't a waste of your time. Peace.

My question has always been when one of these 'spouting' christians have told me that the Trinity is incomprehensible, that God cannot be understood, that the pain of hell cannot be comprehended, if I can't comprehend it, God, whatever, then why should I care about understanding the bible, trinity, going to hell, etc...??!! You know it's not so scary when you look at it that way.

I would guess that the "NO PRIVATE INTERPRETATION" passage was added later when the church wanted more control over the populace. Probably about the same time they made it illegal for the laity to even read their 'holy book'.

You're right, idiots. Hang in there.

Elana

proficient at defending myself form these spiritually invading nutjobs and my favorite thing to throw back at them is a simple piece of logic that debunks their "triune god" theory...I say to them "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, therefore no part of the whole can be equal to the whole..." and time after time they say that human reasoning is not capable of understanding the mystery of the trinity...and then in the same damn breathe they say that if I accept the holy spirit that I will become illuminated and will understand the nature of the trinity...I have to remind them that

The doctrine of the Trinity isn't even in the Bible, but was developed a few hundred years AFTER Jesus supposedly walked the earth, in order to buttress the doctrine that Jesus was God in the Flesh, which was NOT the teaching of the earliest church. There is no rational way the Trinity can be real, even if god(s) exist. The doctrine of the trinity was superimposed on top of the Bible text and can only be supported by proof-texting and cherry-picking, lifting little words or phrases out of original context. Nobody, just reading the Bible straight through, would ever come up with the notion of a Triune God, or any of the other "fundamental" doctrines today's funda-gelicals insist are true.

I forget what comedian said it but it is hysterical - "The Flintstones was NOT a documentary!"

I forget what comedian said it but it is hysterical - "The Flintstones was NOT a documentary!"

A great line from Lewis Black.

...one passage that is particullarly funny to me is the "NO PRIVATE INTERPRETATION" bull shit which implies that you need to be clinically braindead in order to comply with this rule...

Is this rule in the bible somewhere? If so, could someone please tell me where I can find it?