Goodbye Jesus

Question About Christian Culture

Guest number6

Guitar services.

Gawd, I used to be in the "contemporary choir" aka guitar service choir. I really enjoyed it too. It's one of the few things I miss about church. I really enjoyed singing/being in the choir. LOL, oh well. :D

Guest rangergirl
Haven't been around for a while; being a Godless Professor kinda takes up my time :)

OK, what I'd like to ask the group is: Now that you're out of Christianity or at least "backsliding" a bit, what is it about Christian culture that you found really annoying?

For me, it was any attempt by a pastor or other Christian entity to sound "hip." I noticed this right away, back in '75 or so when I had just drunk the Holy Kool-Aid™. The literature they gave me was so self-consciously "hip," it was ludicrous. And it used slang from wildly different times in history, combining "groovy" and "gnarly" in the same sentence. They even gave me a survey asking me what language I used, thusly: "Please list how many times you use the following expressions: daily, weekly, monthly: Far Out. Groovy. Man. I Mean Like... You Know. Dude." I felt like telling them "Dude, I mean like man if you can't tell what's far out and hip, like don't even try!" :)

Much later in my Calvary Chapel phase, I had to hear things like "Jesus is a TOTALLY AWESOME DUDE!" Kinda loses something in translation, you think? I imagine now the Christian world is trying to co-opt hip-hop talk. THAT must be a hoot.

I can't help but think of the movie "Saved!" when I read this post. When the principal leads the high school assembly, he talks all hip and says he's "down with the G-O-D". That movie was exactly like my high school and (sad to say) like my college. The teachers were always trying to make Jesus appear to be super cool and hip to appeal to the teens. When my friends who did not grow up christian see the movie "Saved!", they think there is no way that that happens. But much to my and their chagrin, I assure them that it's true...

My biggest annoyance with Christian culture is their inability to accept the scientific theory of evolution, and their incessant drive to put "intelligent design", or whatever they're calling it these days, into the science curriculum in public schools.

Haven't been around for a while; being a Godless Professor kinda takes up my time :)

OK, what I'd like to ask the group is: Now that you're out of Christianity or at least "backsliding" a bit, what is it about Christian culture that you found really annoying?

For me, it was any attempt by a pastor or other Christian entity to sound "hip." I noticed this right away, back in '75 or so when I had just drunk the Holy Kool-Aid™. The literature they gave me was so self-consciously "hip," it was ludicrous. And it used slang from wildly different times in history, combining "groovy" and "gnarly" in the same sentence. They even gave me a survey asking me what language I used, thusly: "Please list how many times you use the following expressions: daily, weekly, monthly: Far Out. Groovy. Man. I Mean Like... You Know. Dude." I felt like telling them "Dude, I mean like man if you can't tell what's far out and hip, like don't even try!" :)

Much later in my Calvary Chapel phase, I had to hear things like "Jesus is a TOTALLY AWESOME DUDE!" Kinda loses something in translation, you think? I imagine now the Christian world is trying to co-opt hip-hop talk. THAT must be a hoot.

For me the most annoying thing is when an xtian thinks God has "laid it on their heart" to do something.

I imagine now the Christian world is trying to co-opt hip-hop talk. THAT must be a hoot.

Yes, can you imagine that? Yo, Jesus is my homeboy, bro's. He totally shizzles my dizzle, so dig him holmes.

There is so much about Christian culture that makes me cringe that I don't know where to start, most of it has been covered I think.