Goodbye Jesus

Are We Really That Different?

Guest Acorn

Guest Acorn

I have talked with the Exc's here for a long time. I have gained alot of insight toward other veiws from Christianity. This isnt a long OP. Just straight. I have noticed since coming around here, debating, etc,. That this site is not very different from church, except the freedom, general moral direction and doctrine of Christianity. I posted the last thread on Christianforums and havent had 1 post toward it. And sadly, that topic was more geared to those who are Christians.

People are not perfect, never have been, never will be. We fail. Whether it be in life, money, jobs, other people, kids, etc. We all have failed at something at some point. We all need support. Via family, friends, co-workers, church, or even our ownselves. Support, emotionally, is not something new. But its all directed by our status of life. The status of life depends on the hand dealt. Thats were one gets to the point of a need for support.

This site, just as a church, or family; supports one another in a certain way. Someone asked me why I still come here. Well, maybe seeing the members here in support of each other reminds me everytime I log in, that we arent far apart. Were people. Whether, Christian, Islam, Muslim, or the infamous purple unicorn believers :grin:

Were all people. People that have a soul, a mind, fellings, emotions, thoughts, expressions etc. In that, I ask. Are we really different? Some are angry, some sad, some overjoyed, some just ok.

So I beleive in Christ, in God. The Bible. I also believe that everyone needs somebody, and something to believe in, even if its nothing. Even if its not religion.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neon Genesis

• Grandpa Harley

• The-Captain

• crazy-tiger

Only commonality I see with this site and church is in the inherent function of people of common thought (very loosely common) meeting in some fashion. About the same similarity as any kind of discussion board, club, picnic or support group. Church is sort of a loaded word around here though, so I'd say poor comparison. But perhaps you are just relating it to a group type that you are most familiar with?

In reply (comment really) to the OP: All past craziness, poor spelling ,and my natural disagreement with living life with literal belief in myths aside.......

I agree :P

And for me at least, this is the first time that I've seen a Christian be the one to make that statement and bridge the gap as it were. We are all the same, dealing with the same hand and the same issues. I'm glad you aren't taking the "higher understanding" route that so many Xians do (unless I'm reading the wrong thing out of this). And despite what people choose to believe we all inhabit the same world, once we work from the platform of equality and understanding it gives me hope for a state of peace and contentment between different creeds.

I'll stop now before my Grinch heart grows two sizes to large. :rolleyes:

So I beleive in Christ, in God. The Bible.

There are many here who are much more fluent than I, so I'll just stick my 2 cents worth in and let them explain in full. This is ex-C. We've been there, and decided that for a myriad of reasons it wasn't for us.

As to my personal opinion, the main difference is that you and your ilk live in an impossible fantasy world, contrary to all logic, reason, and proof. It's all made moot by "faith."

Were all people. People that have a soul, a mind, fellings, emotions, thoughts, expressions etc. In that, I ask. Are we really different? Some are angry, some sad, some overjoyed, some just ok.

First fucking thing you've written that hasn't irritated the crap out me and I can completely agree with it. We're all human and in this mess together.

I have talked with the Exc's here for a long time.

oh really? So why does your profile say you signed up on 2/29/08?

I have talked with the Exc's here for a long time. I have gained alot of insight toward other veiws from Christianity. This isnt a long OP. Just straight. I have noticed since coming around here, debating, etc,. That this site is not very different from church, except the freedom, general moral direction and doctrine of Christianity.
There are several big differences between us and a church. 1), We have no set dogma to adhere to and anyone here can believe in whatever they want to as long as they don't try to force their opinions onto others, 2)we do not go around spreading a message as we have no message to spread other than we stopped believing in Yahweh, 3)we do not demand that other people conform to our ways, then threaten them with invisible sky daddies when people don't bow down and worship us.

People are not perfect, never have been, never will be. We fail. Whether it be in life, money, jobs, other people, kids, etc. We all have failed at something at some point. We all need support. Via family, friends, co-workers, church, or even our ownselves. Support, emotionally, is not something new. But its all directed by our status of life. The status of life depends on the hand dealt. Thats were one gets to the point of a need for support.
If emotional support was all that was needed to prove we are a church, then Alcoholic Anonymous, support groups, blogs, or even any group of friends would be counted as a "church" simply because they offer emotional support.

This site, just as a church, or family; supports one another in a certain way.
Expect unlike churches, we don't kick people out if they disagree with the popular theology.

Someone asked me why I still come here. Well, maybe seeing the members here in support of each other reminds me everytime I log in, that we arent far apart. Were people. Whether, Christian, Islam, Muslim, or the infamous purple unicorn believers :grin:
I see you've completely missed the point of the purple unicorn analogy and debating with you is a waste of time.

So I beleive in Christ, in God. The Bible. I also believe that everyone needs somebody, and something to believe in, even if its nothing. Even if its not religion.

And I don't care what you believe. I just wish you would do the same for us.

Acorn if you don't mind, would you add a link to the parallel topic on the christian forum?

I have talked with the Exc's here for a long time.

oh really? So why does your profile say you signed up on 2/29/08?

Because his old account got lost or something. And he was away for a while, and came back, re-registered, got his old name back. I remember him from some time back. Maybe a year ago?

• Super Moderator

Are WE all that different? You mean religious folk and non-religious in general? That answer is NO.

If you mean are YOU different from the rest of the world, the answer is YES.

Guest Net Eng
I have talked with the Exc's here for a long time. I have gained alot of insight toward other veiws from Christianity. This isnt a long OP. Just straight. I have noticed since coming around here, debating, etc,. That this site is not very different from church, except the freedom, general moral direction and doctrine of Christianity. I posted the last thread on Christianforums and havent had 1 post toward it. And sadly, that topic was more geared to those who are Christians.

Not surprised. Most people I knew in church did not wish to think to hard on their faith.

Imperfect people... Can't disagree with that.

This site, just as a church, or family; supports one another in a certain way. Someone asked me why I still come here. Well, maybe seeing the members here in support of each other reminds me everytime I log in, that we arent far apart. Were people. Whether, Christian, Islam, Muslim, or the infamous purple unicorn believers :grin:

Just another way to say we're all pink on the inside. :eek: I have no problem with your need to believe in a deity or a "holy" book. What I object to is the equating of belief as fact. This is the fundamental (if I can use this word in another context) difference between myself and you. Faith is irrational.

What? WHAT? We're supposed to be pink inside? Not green?... oooh... damn, I have to get my saucer working again, I must've landed on the wrong planet...

:)

Faith is irrational.[/b]

Hey there Net Eng. Over and above all other things I welcome you here. My hope is that you will find vitality in this place.

I have to disagree. I have a certain amount of faith in the idea that there are relationships between the phenomena in my world. In fact I believe all of natural science shares this faith with me. And those scientists who refuse to entertain this faith have disqualified themselves from being scientists in my opinion.

Just my two cents. Again I welcome you here.

If you mean are YOU different from the rest of the world, the answer is YES.

You mean if Acorn is a very "different" person... yeah... he's special.

Acorn, with all due respect your OP is a crock of 1970's sounding crap.

I am what I am, and that is all of what I am. I don't apologize for it, I just play the hand I got dealt. And so far, I haven't done badly. Most importantly, I found out long ago I don't need to believe in a bronze-age sorcerer to appreciate the life my parents gave me.

I get where you're coming from Acorn. The thing is I've noticed is 'some' people on here have a lot of anger directed towards not just the religion of Christianity, but also to its adherants. An atheist believes such beliefs to be delusions, thus I can understand why one could be angry about Christianity the religion. But as an ex-Christian has been there themselves! They know what motivates that person to do all those 'annoying' things, because they were that person 5,10,20 years ago. I would of thought this would lead to a lot more empathy.

I understand the difficulties of leaving the Christian faith. I'm struggling with them myself. But I don't think it should be translated into vitriol directed towards the people we once were. Like has been said before, we're all really just imperfect people trying to enjoy life and make sense of the journey.

I said I would never reply to your post because you told me to eat my own biscuit! Granted I did tell you to fuck off but I'm a sinner, we can do that.I just want to say after reading your post that I felt like singing Kum Ba Yah. <_< IMO this place is nothing like church. When I come here I feel uplifted. Not empty like after leaving church where I cried and begged god to use me. Church is where if you didn't fit into they're click you were shit. I still think your "discussions" and "debates" are preaching. Reading your post is the only time I feel churchy. I'm EX-Church. Thats why I'm here. Being that you're such a good xian I'm sure you still "love" me.

• Super Moderator
I get where you're coming from Acorn. The thing is I've noticed is 'some' people on here have a lot of anger directed towards not just the religion of Christianity, but also to its adherants. An atheist believes such beliefs to be delusions, thus I can understand why one could be angry about Christianity the religion. But as an ex-Christian has been there themselves! They know what motivates that person to do all those 'annoying' things, because they were that person 5,10,20 years ago. I would of thought this would lead to a lot more empathy.

I understand the difficulties of leaving the Christian faith. I'm struggling with them myself. But I don't think it should be translated into vitriol directed towards the people we once were. Like has been said before, we're all really just imperfect people trying to enjoy life and make sense of the journey.

Speaking for myself, I do not get angry with anyone for what they personally believe, even if I see no basis for that belief. I get angry when they tell me they have a special corner on the Truth, and if I don't think like they do, I am doomed. I respect those who respect others. Simple as that, but impossible for some fundies to grasp.

- Chris

Guest Acorn
Acorn if you don't mind, would you add a link to the parallel topic on the christian forum?

I actually have to correct my Op on that one, two people posted replys, last I checked. One asked what my topic had to do with Christian Theological ethics :eek: ; and the other said this was an international forum?? Not sure on what that was to imply. I havent responded.

LINK:

http://christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=...amp;postcount=1

Guest Acorn

There are several big differences between us and a church. 1), We have no set dogma to adhere to and anyone here can believe in whatever they want to as long as they don't try to force their opinions onto others, 2)we do not go around spreading a message as we have no message to spread other than we stopped believing in Yahweh, 3)we do not demand that other people conform to our ways, then threaten them with invisible sky daddies when people don't bow down and worship us.

I covered that in the OP. as far as the preaching; whether you are going to church for support, or coming to this site, your gonna see some amount of preaching in whichever avenue you take. The Lions Den says in its header that it will even deal with aggressive evangelism. So, whether it be me, or be someone else; thats something you might have to loosen a few screws about. You seem to get highly irratated at any format of religious talk, if it could even be thinly considered preaching.

If emotional support was all that was needed to prove we are a church, then Alcoholic Anonymous, support groups, blogs, or even any group of friends would be counted as a "church" simply because they offer emotional support...

Expect unlike churches, we don't kick people out if they disagree with the popular theology...

I see you've completely missed the point of the purple unicorn analogy and debating with you is a waste of time.

Like a church, similar, common equalities; not identical; that would be a wide claim. Some churches are very aggresive on their particular thought of doctrine. I have not been coined, kicked out, but I have felt turned againist because; one things a constant in any group, ripples in the water are not welcome. The purple unicorn is so very famous. :grin: It is the ultimate antipreaching comparison used widespread. That was actually a joke. Graphics guy, I have debated with many memebers here and have heard the purple unicorn comparison thousands of times in discusion.

And I don't care what you believe. I just wish you would do the same for us.

Caring and respect for peoples thought are two different things.

Guest Acorn
Acorn, with all due respect your OP is a crock of 1970's sounding crap.

I am what I am, and that is all of what I am. I don't apologize for it, I just play the hand I got dealt. And so far, I haven't done badly. Most importantly, I found out long ago I don't need to believe in a bronze-age sorcerer to appreciate the life my parents gave me.

Really Piprus. Sometimes its not what you see with your eyes that is the truth, its what you dont see thats the truth.

Ask Ruby.

I covered that in the OP. as far as the preaching; whether you are going to church for support, or coming to this site, your gonna see some amount of preaching in whichever avenue you take. The Lions Den says in its header that it will even deal with aggressive evangelism.
HOW THE HELL CAN THIS SITE BE PREACHING AT YOU WHEN WE HAVE NO DOGMA TO PREACH?! The only thing we're asking you is to stop forcing your opinions on us, got it? THAT IS NOT PREACHING, THAT IS ASKING FOR RESPECT FOR OUR FREEWILL. DO YOU LIKE IT WHEN PEOPLE TRY TO TAKE AWAY YOUR FREEWILL BY FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON YOU?

You seem to get highly irratated at any format of religious talk, if it could even be thinly considered preaching.
No, I GET IRRITATED AT YOU FORCING YOUR BELIEFS DOWN OUR THROATS AND INSISTING THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY RIGHT ONE.

I have not been coined, kicked out, but I have felt turned againist because; one things a constant in any group, ripples in the water are not welcome.
NO, NO ONE TURNED AGAINST YOU, WE JUST GOT PISSED OFF WHEN YOU COME HERE TO TELL US WE WERE GOING TO SUFFER GOD'S WRATH IF WE DON'T OBEY YOU AND INSIST THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY RIGHT ONE WHEN YOU HAVE NO PROOF. LIKE I SAID, I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU BELIEVE, JUST FUCK OFF WHEN SOMEONE ASKS YOU TO.

Caring and respect for peoples thought are two different things.
Again, your responses make no fucking sense. Get it through your head. STOP FORCING YOUR BELIEFS ON US! WE DON'T DO IT TO YOU, SO WHY CAN'T YOU GIVE US THE SAME RESPECT?

Guest Acorn

I agree, yet delusions; I am not delusional. Everyday I wake up with thoughts of the gaps and gray areas of the Bible. The one thing that has really grasped my mind, is why. Why is it that I have seen all I have seen, obtain the knowledge outside of the Bible, been through mental wars in trying to sift through history, documents, doctrine, etc. All outside God and the Bible. And still strongly feel that theres a God, and that he's still around. Maybe its what Ive been through, and gotten past in my life.

Agree.

Guest Acorn

I said I would never reply to your post because you told me to eat my own biscuit!

:lmao: You gotta admit, that was funny.

Granted I did tell you to fuck off but I'm a sinner, we can do that.I just want to say after reading your post that I felt like singing Kum Ba Yah. <_< IMO

:thanks:

This place is nothing like church. When I come here I feel uplifted. Not empty like after leaving church where I cried and begged god to use me. Church is where if you didn't fit into they're click you were shit.

I agree. But, I will say that you alone have given an example of my OP. I went through the same things, yet different; mine was more of what direction I was suppose to be going with what I felt I needed to do. As well as dealing with a spouse that thought I went mental. My spouse and I separated, later divorced; and in that span of time I stopped going to church for about 2yrs.

I still think your "discussions" and "debates" are preaching. Reading your post is the only time I feel churchy. I'm EX-Church. Thats why I'm here. Being that you're such a good xian I'm sure you still "love" me.

The greatest is love :grin: Hey Xander, keep smiling. Thats what they used to teach me in retail. Keep smiling.

Guest Acorn
HOW THE HELL CAN THIS SITE BE PREACHING AT YOU WHEN WE HAVE NO DOGMA TO PREACH?! The only thing we're asking you is to stop forcing your opinions on us, got it? THAT IS NOT PREACHING, THAT IS ASKING FOR RESPECT FOR OUR FREEWILL. DO YOU LIKE IT WHEN PEOPLE TRY TO TAKE AWAY YOUR FREEWILL BY FORCING THEIR BELIEFS ON YOU?.......

No, I GET IRRITATED AT YOU FORCING YOUR BELIEFS DOWN OUR THROATS AND INSISTING THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY RIGHT ONE.

NO, NO ONE TURNED AGAINST YOU, WE JUST GOT PISSED OFF WHEN YOU COME HERE TO TELL US WE WERE GOING TO SUFFER GOD'S WRATH IF WE DON'T OBEY YOU AND INSIST THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY RIGHT ONE WHEN YOU HAVE NO PROOF. LIKE I SAID, I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU BELIEVE, JUST FUCK OFF WHEN SOMEONE ASKS YOU TO.

Again, your responses make no fucking sense. Get it through your head. STOP FORCING YOUR BELIEFS ON US! WE DON'T DO IT TO YOU, SO WHY CAN'T YOU GIVE US THE SAME RESPECT?

If there was a tribe somewhere in a remote location still in existance, and dated back into early BC. Would you say that tribe is not real, or their ancestry, heritage?

I agree. But, I will say that you alone have given an example of my OP. I went through the same things, yet different; mine was more of what direction I was suppose to be going with what I felt I needed to do. As well as dealing with a spouse that thought I went mental. My spouse and I separated, later divorced; and in that span of time I stopped going to church for about 2yrs.
Wtf, weren't you just responding to my post earlier about how we are a church and are preaching at you and started whining at "being turned against" yet then you turn around say you agree we're not like a church at all? Wtf? Am I missing something here? Why did you get all pissy at me yet then turn around and say the complete opposite in another post?