Goodbye Jesus

Is reason compelling cause to leave Christianity?

chefranden

Yes, it's hard to know the will of an unknowable being.  Actually, one can't know what is unknowable you know.  So what the hell are we talking about?  :grin:

How the heck would I know! :lmao:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Totallyatpeace

• chefranden

• Fweethawt

Sorry to be such a broken record ....

But there are also some interesting ideas about whether prayers (offered by finite humans) can 'change the mind of God' in that MP3 talk I am currently pushing in the thread about Hell ( this post ) the talk is entitled Time and Eternity by Peter Kreeft.

-Dennis

I think to sum it up, we need to ask the very simple question 'Is it god's will for someone to sin'.  I can't imagine a single christian of any interpretation that would say yes.

*shakes head* Lloyd, my man, you are slipping. Abraham and Issac. If it's God's will, then it's not "sinning". Murder, rape, and pillage is endorsed in the bible as long as you are doing it for a good cause...or should I say, a "God" cause?

TAP NO!!!!

:nono:   :nono:   :nono:

As I pointed out earlier, you are welding religion and faith together so that you cannot seperate them. No wonder you still hold on to the religion. You are convinced that if you put christianity aside, you pitch faith and spirituality out the door with it.

No one ever said that had to be done. pitching the book does NOT mean pitching faith or spirituality.

There's an old saying: "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"

Sorry WR~

I've been out of town and couldn't respond.

I want you to know that I hear what you are saying. I know that I believe in the Christian God and His Word. I also have many friends who believe in other faiths and live very spiritual lives. I know there is more out there. In fact it's a hug buffet of choices................... including choosing nothing at all.

Tap

quote=thankful,Jul 11 2005, 04:46 PM

TAP...I know you don't like to debate so if you don't answer, I understand.  But please and I don't mean to harp on this, but no Christian has answered me yet.  If you believe in Jesus and that what he says is truth....have you ever ever tried, with your faith, to go into a ward of terminally ill children and say, "get up and walk"?    If you haven't, I have to take it to mean that you are with many Baptist in that they believe that miracles are not for today.  If you do believe that miracles are for today, and you haven't, why haven't you?

No, I haven't.

Thankful......I've never seen a miracle but everyone tells me that it rarely happens in the States because we lack faith.....however, it happens frequently in Third-World countries. I'm going to have a chance to put that theory to the test very soon. :Hmm:

Don't think I'm ignoring your posts. I've been out of town all week and leave again on sunday and won't return until the middle of August.

Take care~

Tap

Third world countries are often poorley educated and still belive in much superstion. They are more likely to be gullible enough to belive a charlatan's miracle. That's not being racist, it's just a fact of culture and education. I mean, you got guys with AIDS having sex with little girls becuase some witchdoctor told them it would cure them. In primitive socieites, they are right back where westerns were in the middle ages, still beliveing in witches and hexs.

Third world countries are often poorley educated and still belive in much superstion.  They are more likely to be gullible enough to belive a charlatan's miracle.  That's not being racist, it's just a fact of culture and education.  I mean, you got guys with AIDS having sex with little girls becuase some witchdoctor told them it would cure them.  In primitive socieites, they are right back where westerns were in the middle ages, still beliveing in witches and hexs.

Or......they have strong faith that we lack.

I'll be honest about my findings when I return.

Bring back some pieces of the true cross, virgin Mary's milk and the dried finger of Peter (or some other saint)....these things were all purported to cause miracles....

Chef

Did you actually leave because of reason or because of the passion that the rational test raised in you?

This says it all in my experience. I just had to think back to when I was 10 years old and my aunt thought it would be a good idea for me to study the word of blob in depth. I have read the bible (genesis to revelations) many different times six years ago. I was scared, depressed and sickened by what I read. I could not reconcile the bible accounts of god and what our pastor presented to us of what god is and what god is supposedly all about. People may laugh or say I never was a christian, but I was a christian when I was a preteen. It was just dumb luck that my aunt decided I was ready to be strong in my faith early on in my life. Sratch that. She did it so she could indoctrinate in me her flavor of xianity, be'ens she did not agree with my parents denomination.

Nevertheless, I lost faith when the bible writers took away from me the god that our pastor gave me. Disgust was the feeling. I felt betrayed that there were no good answers to explain the actions, inactions, and commands of the demon god jehovah. In my mind during those times I could only see that the trinity is insane. Jesus must be an insane god. And finaly..jesus is a myth invented by people who built on the mythology of a war god.

I do have faith in people even though I come off as a punk. I think that these emotions that comes from having looked at how the bible accounts contradict the notion of a omni-powered god whos nature is love..these emotions will plant seeds of doubt and some people will lose faith. I am not concerened with how many will or will not lose faith when I try to push certain emotions THAT SHOULD COME when shown that some passages are bigoted, as well as absurd and that there is no excuse for believing in a "god breathed book" that divides peoples. A book that had/has added fuel to the fires in the bellies of haters.

Bring back some pieces of the true cross, virgin Mary's milk and the dried finger of Peter (or some other saint)....these things were all purported to cause miracles....

I won't be bringing back any of that since I don't even believe in it. I am so far from being Catholic.

The primitive cultures of the medival past belived in it. Maybe your just too advanced, without enough faith to belive in the holy miracles these items supposedly bring. Free your mind from your advanced Western culture and go back 1000 years. Don't you want to experience miracles TAP?