Goodbye Jesus

Taking "oh My God!" Of Your Vocabulary

gradstu09

I've run into that one too,......when I yell 'goddammit-!',..and they freak,.....I'll say, "oh, sorry,....SATAN SAVE IT-!-!

They practically EXPLODE.......ROFLMAO

There's just no pleasing some people..... ;-)

Fuck...does seem to get to them more than most, but I do know a few who do go ballistic over goddamn.

I tend to go for old world ones...

God's Death!

God's Teeth

Christ's wounds

Jesus, Mary and Joseph

Jesus, Mary, Joseph anf their donkey

Mary's tits

Etc...

When I was a Christian I was taught that using "oh my god" and "jesus christ" was taking their names in vain and that was a sin, so I avoided saying them at all. Now that I am not a Christian I use them all the time, but I usually say "oh my f-ing god" or "jesus f-ing christ!". To me these phrases have nothing to do with god belief, they are just things people say to express a certain feeling (i.e. suprise, disbelief, anger, etc.).

I was the same way when I was repressed by christianity. I really had a fear of saying those things! Now I love saying goddammit in particular. I also like "jesus fucking christ on a stick!" Curse words are just that, words. I don't know why people get so offended over certain words.

• Super Moderator

Holy Shit!

Jesus Fucking Christ!

Well Fuck Me Jesus!

Praise The Fucking Lord!

Respectfully,

Chris

Guest Marty
The only one that really does bother me, is "I swear to God", because I don't know how else to convey that I'm emphasizing the truth about something or replace that statement with something else.

I just turn it around a bit and say "I swear to Jove", or "Thank Apollo it didn't rain this morning". I always get a look from someone, because it sounds silly to swear to a non existing deity...and that is my point. In a few people I have noticed a sly smile crack to show they got it and agree.

As far as cursing, I've kept god fucking damnit and jesus fucking christ because it upsets so many people. It seems putting "fucking" in between those two phrases is the only way to get the rise that saying shit or fuck would get you 20 years ago.

Anyone come up with some really good ones? Not cheesy and satisfying to say?

Cheesy is in the ear of the listener, but for me - leaving morontheism for heathenry - I guess this was a bit easier than it might be for an atheist...

...I simply changed that to "By the Gods!" ;)

I don't worry about OMG so much. It's an expletive; it doesn't mean I still believe. It's just something ingrained into our culture.

That said, I do still have some favored colorful metaphors:

"Oh my lack of god!"

"Jeezus fucking Christ!!"

"Jumpin' Jeezus on a pogo stick!!"

"Christ on a crutch!"

"Holy <insert relevant object here>, Batman!"

"Betch! Shetbag! Deck!"

Smeg is also a favorite. (Fans of BBC comedy will be familiar with the term, no doubt.) It functions much the same way as the word fuck - can be used as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, etc.

Oddly enough, spouse and I will sometimes use movie lines as expletives, choosing lines appropriate to the situation. "You're going to need a bigger boat" is a common one lately...

I've just remembered another one I found on the web somewhere,

"Christ on a kabob!" :)

"Oh my frigging God!"

"Shit Crosses!"

"Necro-fucked Christ!"

"Crisst sakes!"

"The Holy fucking of Mary!"

"Dunny Christ."

"Bullshit Bible!

"Pissing Trinity!"

"Oh My God" has always just been a part of american culture to me, so I use it with impunity.

The problem is these days, it doesn't carry the weight to express when I'm really annoyed or pissed.. I usually swear most profusely when I'm alone or tackling a task by myself, and try to keep my expletives to a minimum around other people =)

in annoyance:

"god damn it!"

"oh... Fuck!"

"fucking shit"

"holy fuck"

"fucking crap"

"fucking bitch"

"shit"

very annoyed (almost always used on inanimate objects - like computers,etc):

"god damn piece of shit! fucking bitch"

"you fucking piece god damn piece of shit, piece of crap... fucking hell!"

"i hate you, i hate you, i hate you! you fucking piece of junk!"

"oh.. fucking god!"

"come on!"

"oh god damn it! give me a fucking break!"

"fucking hell!"

"fuck, fuck! fuckity fuck!"

"god damn you!"

in any situation:

"fucking A"

"oh my fucking god!"

"freakin' bitch"

online to express exasperation:

"good god"

"screw you"

etc:

"fuck it!"

"please just fucking shoot me"

"god damn it all to hell!"

"good fucking god"

"what the fuck"

"in all that is fucked up"

"Fuck. Me."

hope that helps!

"Thank god... etc/etc" is just an expression, one that is commonly used in american culture. So I find no problem using it around religious and non-religious alike. It's sort of like saying "Good thing", "Sure is lucky..", "Thank the lucky stars"' or "knock on wood" with a smile.. although i can't stand it when someone actually knocks on wood and tries me to get to do it as well. Sure, they can knock on all the wood they want, but I'm not actually going to go that far lol

Oh yeah, I forgot - we use "dammit, Janet!" around here a lot too.

Oh yeah, I forgot - we use "dammit, Janet!" around here a lot too.

AWESOME!!! :HaHa:

Suddenly I feel the need to listen to 'Sweet Transvestite'...